ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

Oh Lord. I live in SC and have the unpleasant duty of listening to mostly a 24 hour Dabo praise-a- thon everyday. Now they were already a tad rattled that UNC had taken steps forward on the recruiting trail, but listening to them on sports talk was rich after Grimes committed earlier. Typically, all flood to say that no doubt Mack has opened the money bag like hasnt been seen since the heady days of John Blake being turned loose in Chapel Hill. All of that talk from a school that has never won anything in football until recently that wasn't tarnished by some level of penalty by the NCAA. But it is wonderful to hear them start to squirm as they worry if maybe Mack is about to challenge their dominance.

By the way, I wonder what ole Dave is thinking about over in Raleigh about now? Bet he is polishing that resume as best he can so he can get out before they run him out.

Teams like Georgia and Bama only have 9 commitments so they’re going to move up into the top five. I think we have four scholarships left to give. If we get a couple of more really good players, we’ll have a top 10 class at least.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
we’ll have a top 10 class at least
I'm still in disbelief over the direction of the program. Its such an unusual position to be in. But I think I could get used to it. :D

I was sorta torn between hiring either Mack or Scott, but its obvious Mack was the right man for this job at this time. He's a godsend for Tar Heel football.

I was torn too @TarHeelMark. I had reservations about Mack’s enthusiasm level at his age. I should have known better. But he put together a good staff, I’m especially thrilled with Bateman, Thigpen, and Bly. And recruiting could not be going better.

Now we need to win on the field and maintain this momentum. Another couple of classes approaching this one and we’ll have the talent to play with anyone.

I'm still in disbelief over the direction of the program. Its such an unusual position to be in. But I think I could get used to it. :D

I was sorta torn between hiring either Mack or Scott, but its obvious Mack was the right man for this job at this time. He's a godsend for Tar Heel football.

I am like you, and many others were torn between Scott and Mack. Although I love Mack, one had to wonder if the hire wasn't a walk down memory lane for Mack and some big donors looking fondly back on better days. But I had no idea Mack hit recruiting as powerfully as he has. I think after the way Texas ended for him, he needed a place to show the world he wasnt washed up as so many painted him to be. And he is shocking the football world with the steps this program is taking. Lets enjoy Mack as long as he wants to coach, then go get Scott.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Do we have a legitimate chance with TID or can we eliminate him from the equation?

We're in the mix as he's close with both our staff and current commits. The more big-time talent we continue to add, the better our chances. Paige is a hard Clemson lean and many believe Williams (DT from VA) is a Va Tech lean. We're putting our eggs in the TID basket right now.

Wilson committing in 11 days, you gotta know TID is like "hot damn, I wanna play with those boys!"

We're in the mix as he's close with both our staff and current commits. The more big-time talent we continue to add, the better our chances. Paige is a hard Clemson lean and many believe Williams (DT from VA) is a Va Tech lean. We're putting our eggs in the TID basket right now.

Wilson committing in 11 days, you gotta know TID is like "hot damn, I wanna play with those boys!"
Yeah, I feel good about our chances with George Wilson.

I have heard that the staff isn't sold on Tyleik Williams and they are much more interested in the LB underclassman Shawn Murphy at the same school.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I have heard that the staff isn't sold on Tyleik Williams and they are much more interested in the LB underclassman Shawn Murphy at the same school.

Staff is all in on TID from South Carolina. And yes, UNC is high on Murphy as well as the other 50 schools that have offered him.

Staff is all in on TID from South Carolina. And yes, UNC is high on Murphy as well as the other 50 schools that have offered him.
Yeah, I’ve heard our staff would love to get TID. SC and Georgia have been on him a long time though. As you said, everybody wants Murphy, he’s one of the best in his class. Bama is supposedly the favorite to sign him right now.

Yeah, James Gillespie is another one we took a flyer on earlier in the cycle that I think might be somewhat underrated. Not having camps has slowed things down for those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Do we have a legitimate chance with TID or can we eliminate him from the equation?

TID is kinda all over the place...set to commit to UT, delayed, hinted at a new top 6, now maybe a top 4. Historically, Gaffney has been a hotbed for the SEC. They have ties to SC and some former coaches now at UT. The dead period is hurting us because I know he wants to visit. But I do think we're gaining some momentum with our recent commitments and by making him more of a priority.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT