ADVERTISEMENT

2021 recruiting and commitments

And Silver is almost certainly underrated. He should get a bump once he attends some camps and Rivals updates their rankings. Solid four star, and some have suggested he might even be a five star. I believe ESPN has him at #10 overall.
So Mack just keeps topping himself...
2019 - from ~70 to top 30 in a few months
2020 - top 20
2021 - top 10 possible?

This still feels so unreal.

Eli Sutton committing is a surprise to me. I knew that he had ACC interest - his HS coach has ties to Cutcliffe, and he came to UNC to visit because he was visiting Dook. And Sutton also really liked GT. But a number of SEC recruit insiders in Middle Tennessee have assumed all along that Sutton would end up in the SEC.

I am very pleased with a 4* OL commit, and the double pleasure is wondering if Sutton's teammate Noah Josey, a high 3* OG, might develop an interest in UNC. Josey holds a Bama offer that most think he will take as soon as it is committable. And Josey has a string of other SEC offers.

VA OT Logan Taylor is a 4* on TOS, and he has become very interested in UNC. Perhaps he will pull the trigger soon.

Reactions: Archer2
drake's dad mark was a great quarterback for carolina in the 80s. he was a two year starter and led the conference in completion percentage and pass efficiency. he played briefly in the NFL. what i remember most about mark was his mental and physical toughness. if drake inherited some of those genes we got a good one!
He has all of those genes and then some

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Love to see us get Logan Taylor, a Virginia kid who has offers from VT, MSU, and PSU. Virginia was a fertile state for UNC recruiting in the past.

Love to see us get Logan Taylor, a Virginia kid who has offers from VT, MSU, and PSU. Virginia was a fertile state for UNC recruiting in the past.
I think he is a hard lean to UNC. An issue may be how many guys on the OL will we take and then which ones are top priority. Sutton out of the left field complicates matters, assuming that we are in good shape with as many as I think we.

If we take 4 on the OL, we have 3 spots left. You cannot have too many top guys on the lines of scrimmage, so I say take 4 - cut elsewhere. Use walk ons to be 4th and 5th string WRs.

The other issue on the OL is that it seems that the OT class is one we like better than the OG class, and it may be also that the OTs like us better than the OGs like us. As so many guys on the OL get moved, I don't see that as a problem.

If Taylor commits, then I think the staff is going to focus on landing 1 of the 2 top NC OT recruits: Colby Smith and Andrew Canelas. And the starff seems to really like the OT from FL Austin Barber. Barber is the shortest and heaviest of those HS OTs . Perhaps the staff has already decided it wants Barber at OG.

Games are won in the trenches, and you need depth to win games at the top levels. So if we wish to stand even with Clemson, we need the 2021 class to be very good on both OL and DL.

We are off to a great start on the DL with Silver, who may well become a 5* before it is all said and done. I think we should land Payton Page. Jahvaree Ritzee is the other NC DE (who has the size and build to bulk up and play DT) surely is virtually as high a priority as Page. The DT who now intrigues me is 4* Tyliek Williams of Manassas. VA. He may be leaning UNC.

A DL class of Silver, Page, Ritzee, and Williams would be on the level of Clemson and Bama and Ohio St and UGA DL classes.

If Williams chooses UNC, does that sway fellow Virginian and 5* CB Tony Grimes?

Games are won in the trenches, and you need depth to win games at the top levels. So if we wish to stand even with Clemson, we need the 2021 class to be very good on both OL and DL.

We are off to a great start on the DL with Silver, who may well become a 5* before it is all said and done. I think we should land Payton Page. Jahvaree Ritzee is the other NC DE (who has the size and build to bulk up and play DT) surely is virtually as high a priority as Page. The DT who now intrigues me is 4* Tyliek Williams of Manassas. VA. He may be leaning UNC.

A DL class of Silver, Page, Ritzee, and Williams would be on the level of Clemson and Bama and Ohio St and UGA DL classes.

If Williams chooses UNC, does that sway fellow Virginian and 5* CB Tony Grimes?
agree on most, but i just dont think page wants to come here... think he is a silent to clemson or at least a hard lean

Reactions: matt 1976
Games are won in the trenches, and you need depth to win games at the top levels. So if we wish to stand even with Clemson, we need the 2021 class to be very good on both OL and DL....
it's worth noting that mack's greatest team at unc, the one that finished top 10 and demolished va tech in the gator bowl, had an excellent o-line and a monstrous, nfl-bound d-line.

agree on most, but i just dont think page wants to come here... think he is a silent to clemson or at least a hard lean
Yeah, I get the feeling he's Clemson bound too. Hope I'm wrong.

it's worth noting that mack's greatest team at unc, the one that finished top 10 and demolished va tech in the gator bowl, had an excellent o-line and a monstrous, nfl-bound d-line.
And Mack hasn't forgotten that either. He's working hard on talented depth for both lines. We signed 4 OL and 6 DL in the '20 class and we've already gotten verbals from one each in the '21 class.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA
He may be Clemson bound. But I am not counting out Mack or Bateman or Cross, nor am I counting out the host of top NC talent at UNC now and heading there in 2021.

If Page starts at DT/NG on a Clemson National Champ, that is no big deal, because Clemson has 3 National Championship teams. If Page starts on UNC's 1st National Champ - he is a legend in the state, his home state.

I have never been in the position to choose between a Clemson/Bama/ LSU or stay in state and play for the Heels. BUT I think I would rather go to a school where I could make a difference rather than just another cog in the wheel.

Pryor is committing Wed. Day Day Wilson is also a Tar Heel. Also, this is going to get y'all hype. There is REAL steam about Henderson and Grimes. Those are both great possibilities. Henderson canceled his visit to Clemson and will visit UNC. Both 5 stars and tops at their position. Unbelievable!!!!

Treveyon Henderson and Tony Grimes from Virginia? That would be a real coup. Must admit our recruiting success is making the close of our basketball season much less painful.

Last edited:
I would be shocked to see the Heels land Pryor and Henderson.

Henderson tape is impressive. I expect Pryor to commit but there is room for Henderson to excel, probably be the #1. Carter and Javonte have proven 2 backs can have success in the system.

Treveyon Henderson and Tony Grimes from Virginia? That would be a real coup. Must admit our recruiting success is making the close of our basketball season much less painful.
Amazing, aint it?

All these years I have insisted that with the right HC, UNC football could win a National Championship, which would require being able to recruit very well. The issues have always been tied to who gets hired by UNC and which guy each time could be that right coach to win it all. I have no doubt that right now Mack feels he can win the National Championship at UNC. And it seems that a growing number of top recruits feel the same way. Eli Sutton, a 4* Tennessean - not even in ACC territory, was so blown away by one quick visit to Chapel Hill and a first meeting with Mack that he felt he had to commit and be part of something happening at a great place.

With the right HC, you do not need an 80,000 seat stadium to recruit for you.

Henderson tape is impressive. I expect Pryor to commit but there is room for Henderson to excel, probably be the #1. Carter and Javonte have proven 2 backs can have success in the system.
Correct. In fact, the system works best if you have 2 RBs that good so you always have a fresh one ready.

Grimes would be a huge get. Freak athlete and would be a great representative of the university. Spends his off time volunteering, helping out the homeless every season.

Amazing, aint it?

All these years I have insisted that with the right HC, UNC football could win a National Championship, which would require being able to recruit very well. The issues have always been tied to who gets hired by UNC and which guy each time could be that right coach to win it all. I have no doubt that right now Mack feels he can win the National Championship at UNC. And it seems that a growing number of top recruits feel the same way. Eli Sutton, a 4* Tennessean - not even in ACC territory, was so blown away by one quick visit to Chapel Hill and a first meeting with Mack that he felt he had to commit and be part of something happening at a great place.

With the right HC, you do not need an 80,000 seat stadium to recruit for you.
Baby steps. First we need to win our division and play for the ACC title.

But I agree that Mack feels he can win it all here if he can recruit very well, and he’s off to a good start. I’ve never been one of those who said it was impossible to have a top 20 team annually in football and basketball. It isn’t easy, but it’s doable.

Pryor is committing Wed. Day Day Wilson is also a Tar Heel. Also, this is going to get y'all hype. There is REAL steam about Henderson and Grimes. Those are both great possibilities. Henderson canceled his visit to Clemson and will visit UNC. Both 5 stars and tops at their position. Unbelievable!!!!
you stealin my source??

Are you saying that because he's tweeted it, or he's told you? Or is this your summation?

I think he will choose UNC.
he hasnt tweeted a thing... and all i know is he is supposed to commit wednesday i believe its us... still waiting to hear back from someone but the sudden crystal ball switch could be smoke and mirrors especially if pryor asked steve to let him have his moment in the sun... wouldnt be the first or last time a recruit does that.

Interesting news today. Supposedly Day Day Wilson is on hold and may no longer be a take at the moment. Staff is prioritizing a few other players at the moment for the LB position, in which we are already loaded. He still wants to be a Heel though, I just don't know if he is a take. Next, Steve Wiltfong put in a Crystal Ball for Pryor to go to Ohio State. He is usually always spot on so idk what to think. I was told Pryor is a Heel, but this is def concerning. Logan Taylor and Colby Smith will be the other OT. Im not sure if we take both, but both love UNC. Colby Smith might not even be a take rn. Crazy UNC is in a position to not take 4 star players.

Interesting news today. Supposedly Day Day Wilson is on hold and may no longer be a take at the moment. Staff is prioritizing a few other players at the moment for the LB position, in which we are already loaded. He still wants to be a Heel though, I just don't know if he is a take. Next, Steve Wiltfong put in a Crystal Ball for Pryor to go to Ohio State. He is usually always spot on so idk what to think. I was told Pryor is a Heel, but this is def concerning. Logan Taylor and Colby Smith will be the other OT. Im not sure if we take both, but both love UNC. Colby Smith might not even be a take rn. Crazy UNC is in a position to not take 4 star players.

im with you on the crystal ball the person i talk to said they havent heard differently and that as far as they know pryor is a heel

im with you on the crystal ball the person i talk to said they havent heard differently and that as far as they know pryor is a heel
It's very confusing. Supposedly Steve was in a premium Ohio State forum stating that he was Ohio State bound. Im not sure what to think. If I had to bet I would say he will be a Heel, but very confusing.

They would be insane not to take at least 2 OTs and at least 3 on the OL. Unless everybody backs away, they need 4 on the OL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT