ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting

After reading some recruiting articles I’m just gonna say I wanna win some of these battles with clemsuck especially for in state kids.

Reactions: uncfootball-
I went to the Rose/Fike game tonight. Michael Allen 4* running back plays for Rose. I'm not a scout but didn't see anything that impressed me. He seemed to run 3/4 speed until he found a crease or turned it up field on a sweep then went to another gear. To be fair it seemed Rose threw it 40 times.

I went to the Rose/Fike game tonight. Michael Allen 4* running back plays for Rose. I'm not a scout but didn't see anything that impressed me. He seemed to run 3/4 speed until he found a crease or turned it up field on a sweep then went to another gear. To be fair it seemed Rose threw it 40 times.

Their best player, IMO, is #3 who plays both ways. Had 4 sacks last week in addition to 5 catches and a rushing TD. Allen is a good back but not anywhere close to Edmonds, IMO. And yes, Rose throws at least 30 times a game.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Appears clemsuck maybe losing a little ground with Walker but doesn’t seem like it’s helping us

I mean, we filled the one OLB spot with a stud, and have some depth there, so not a huge concern. Just need to hit on most of our remaining targets like we've been doing. Hoping Simmons slots there...Covil is the one I'd hate to see end up at Clemson.

Here's how I see this class shaping up:

QB - Project (watch the battle to see who backs up Howell)

RB - Good shape here (should be able to upgrade the RB room with one, maybe two additions)

WR - Good shape here (read, one or two more 4-stars in addition to Chapman)

OL - One solid in the fold, looking for three (question is do we hit on both - not as optimistic as some, but confident we'll get at least one more that's highly rated)

Nose - Good shape here (building depth)

LB - Need someone on the inside (Simmons) to join Hamrick at OLB (then maybe a flip?)

S - Project (not a bad one)

CB - One down, one to go (who wants to compete?)

Last edited:
How many probably gonna take on this class?

Not a ton of Seniors on the roster plus last year didn’t count against anyone’s eligibility. I’ve got us losing roughly 18 guys this year, maybe a few more via transfers. So I’d say about the same as the 2021 class. Problem this year is NC doesn’t have near the depth of talent as last year.

Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80
Surprised Givens is a Va Tech lean, according to some recruiting sites. A bad season for the Hokies and they could have a new coach next year.

Givens is from Hokie country. They're probably no better than third on his list, but strong possibility he ends up in Blacksburg.

Trevyon Green is underrated. Think Rice and keep an eye on Cason Henry.

Reactions: Archer2
Apologies for the post but I figured it’s a tad bit early for a 2023 recruiting thread.

KJ Sampson (DT) out of New Bern High will be a Junior this fall and has been invited to visit Chapel Thrill. No offer yet, which confuses me as he’s a NC kid, great character and has a 4.0 GPA. However, I just learned his dream school is OSU, but hopefully his parents will talk him out of that mess and keep him home. Keep an eye on this kid, easily a top 5 player in NC for 2023.

Apologies for the post but I figured it’s a tad bit early for a 2023 recruiting thread.

KJ Sampson (DT) out of New Bern High will be a Junior this fall and has been invited to visit Chapel Thrill. No offer yet, which confuses me as he’s a NC kid, great character and has a 4.0 GPA. However, I just learned his dream school is OSU, but hopefully his parents will talk him out of that mess and keep him home. Keep an eye on this kid, easily a top 5 player in NC for 2023.

Not many offers have gone out for '23.

So wants an offer from UNC but will the potential OSU offer trump that? Hopefully he stays with the good guys.

His dad is very involved (in a good way) so I get the feeling he’d want KJ to stay home so he can get to every game in addition to many road games with State/Duke/Wake/UVA/Va Tech etc being a short drive away. A lot of kids dream about playing at schools like Bama/Notre Dame/OSU etc but it always doesn’t work out the way you want it to for various reasons. Key is getting him to some games, meet the coaches and get him an offer and see wheee it goes.

His dad is very involved (in a good way) so I get the feeling he’d want KJ to stay home so he can get to every game in addition to many road games with State/Duke/Wake/UVA/Va Tech etc being a short drive away. A lot of kids dream about playing at schools like Bama/Notre Dame/OSU etc but it always doesn’t work out the way you want it to for various reasons. Key is getting him to some games, meet the coaches and get him an offer and see wheee it goes.
Think all the hoops players that said UNC was their dream school.

Think all the hoops players that said UNC was their dream school.

Bingo. Gotta good feeling about KJ and UNC. He’ll enjoy the visit and will be in good hands under Mack, Bateman, Cross and Bly. Ya’ll should see this kid throw OL/RB’s down like rag dolls.

Next year's class will be pretty important. We'll need a QB and have a shot at a good one. But more importantly, it should give us four good cycles in a row, which is kind of what you need to really compete with the big boys.

We had top 15 classes in '20 and '21. I think we finish top 20 this year depending on how many the teams above us take. So, on paper, we should be right there with Miami, even after attrition, close to Clemson, and a good bit above the rest of the Coastal.

That's turning over a roster. Mack and those guys have done an unbelievable job so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2

Ohio State just offered KJ today. Come on, UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT