ADVERTISEMENT

Are We Being Too Hard on Caleb?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
It seems like nearly everybody here is down on Caleb. Are we being fair?

As some here have pointed out, Caleb has that extra gear, and when he's in that gear, he's impressive, fun to watch, and can single-handedly win games for us.

Everybody loves that Caleb.

But he hasn't been in that gear all that much this season. And when he isn't in that gear, we tend to beat him up. When our other players don't have good games, we may point it out. We may bitch - especially after a loss. In RJ's case, for a while there, people piled on him for over-dribbling, but we also recognized that wasn't entirely RJ's fault. People routinely bitch about Leaky not being much of a scoring threat. But few call for him to be benched.

But we don't cut Caleb any slack.

Is it because Caleb was so high-ranked?

Is it because he's cocky?

Is it because he doesn't come across as committed to the team?

Sometimes I ask myself if I would be more forgiving if Caleb had been #50 out of HS. Or if he smiled more than once every 3 games. And I think the answer is, yes I would be more forgiving. I'd be glad when Caleb gave us those flashes, but wouldn't be expecting them all the time. Just like with most other players. It's not Caleb's fault that the HS scouts made a mistake when they ranked him.

Speaking for myself, I'm going to try to cut Caleb more slack. It's not his fault that he isn't the superstar I want him to be - any more than it's RJ's fault that he isn't 6'5, or Leaky's fault that he doesn't have a high-revving motor. They are what they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: thompsjj

As some here have pointed out, Caleb has that extra gear, and when he's in that gear, he's impressive, fun to watch, and can single-handedly win games for us.

But he hasn't been in that gear all that much this season. And when he isn't in that gear, we tend to beat him up. When our other players don't have good games, we may point it out. We may bitch - especially after a loss. In RJ's case, for a while there, people piled on him for over-dribbling, but we also recognized that wasn't entirely RJ's fault. People routinely bitch about Leaky not being much of a scoring threat. But few call for him to be benched.

Sometimes I ask myself if I would be more forgiving if Caleb had been #50 out of HS. Or if he smiled more than once every 3 games. And I think the answer is, yes I would be more forgiving. I'd be glad when Caleb gave us those flashes, but wouldn't be expecting them all the time. Just like with most other players. But is it Caleb's fault that the HS scouts made a mistake when they ranked him?

Speaking for myself, I'm going to try to cut Caleb more slack. It's not his fault that he isn't the superstar I want him to be - any more than it's RJ's fault that he isn't 6'5, or Leaky's fault that he doesn't have a high-revving motor. They are what they are.

I think the last sentence sums it up nicely. He is what he is. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten the memo and started to play through his teammates, take better shots early in the clock, and defend his tail off consistently to make a major impact when his shots aren't falling. You hear about that it factor that the really good players have where they find a way to impact games even when their shots aren't falling. That hasn't been the case with Caleb. At this point, only speaking for myself, but I don't expect him to be a superstar, because it's clear that he isn't. That's fine. I'm simply expecting for him to play within himself, recognize his limits offensively, and find ways to be effective, and frankly not shoot us out of ball games.

‘I'm simply expecting for him to play within himself, recognize his limits offensively,’.

I’ve been waiting for this to happen all year. Let me know when it does!

Reactions: Heels5150
I have followed UNC ball since 1981. I can't think of another player getting even close to this much slack.
People thought Vince Carter was a bust and was going to transfer....I call that slack.

Rick Fox thought he could dribble as a freshman. Several guards couldn't get the ball past half court without turning it over.

With Caleb...we are talking about an upperclassman that is supposed to be a leader on this team and progressing with each season. The guy wants to be a 1st round pick for crying out loud. The best guys find a way and fight through droughts. They also take challenges personal...

I still think Caleb will be fine but I would like to see him step his game up in other areas and not make himself one-dimensional.

Sometimes I ask myself if I would be more forgiving if Caleb had been #50 out of HS. Or if he smiled more than once every 3 games. And I think the answer is, yes I would be more forgiving. I'd be glad when Caleb gave us those flashes, but wouldn't be expecting them all the time. Just like with most other players. It's not Caleb's fault that the HS scouts made a mistake when they ranked him.

Talent level always dictates the amount of scrutiny you get. Unless you're just a bad basketball player like Platek was when he here, it's typically dependent on your talent level. I'm hard on Caleb because he's immensely talented. We're not as hard on RJ because he isn't as talented as Caleb is. Honestly, RJ might be exceeding his own talent level with his production here.

You can cut him slack, but he shouldn't be legitimately one of the least efficient guards in the country. 38%/29%/76% splits is just horrible. It isn't about him being a superstar. Just don't be a bad player.

And these conversations always humor me. Should we have given him less credit for going bananas against UCLA and give him less credit for hitting the dagger against Duke? Why is positive praise limitless, but criticism isn't?

I've thought since last year that he has a lot of confidence. Not only to take the shots he chooses to take, but to not get more minutes on the bench because of it.

For me it is shot selection and timing thereof.

If made, 23' shots from the top of the key are worth the same as 30' H.O.R.S.E shots. And it's fairly objective to say that the chance for it to make goes up too. Even more so if it comes from the regular flow of movement, with and especially without the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
at this point maybe we are too hard on Caleb. as a young man, usually an adult in a position of power will hold you accountable so you learn right from wrong. Hubert isn’t doing that. perhaps we are being too easy on Hubert.

Nobody is being too hard on Caleb. And before the bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork and play the “these are kids line”, no they aren’t. They are pros now. I am sure Caleb is always in line at the pay window when NIL checks are handed out. Big time college basketball is a business, and should be treated as such.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Nobody is being too hard on Caleb. And before the bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork and play the “these are kids line”, no they aren’t. They are pros now. I am sure Caleb is always in line at the pay window when NIL checks are handed out. Big time college basketball is a business, and should be treated as such.
I've been wondering if that isn't our problem. NIL, I mean. Has NIL turned the sport these guys love into nothing more than a job? Because, let's face it, for most people if what they're doing is just a job, they are going to be phoning it in a lot more than if they love what they are doing.

We used to have the occasional problem of "I'm not doing it for the team, I'm doing it to get to the NBA." That problem hasn't gone away. But do we now also have the problem of "I'm not doing it for the team, I'm doing it for the NIL"?

The other NIL question I've wondered about is how much time do the players put into their NIL obligations? I mean I assume there are some obligations. Events, schmoozing, whatever. Between that, school, and getting laid, how much effort is going into being as good as they can at basketball? And if they are spending more time on those things, are they bonding less as a team?

Are other teams having the same problems? At a glance, it doesn't look like it. But I don't know.

What player in history gets 35 minutes when they shoot 25 of the team’s 74 fgas?

He is a terrible defender and his shot selection is extremely poor.
He is also bringing his teammates down too.
Last night when we had the ball down 10 with some momentum he rushes the ball down court, had T Nick standing all alone in the corner but Caleb pull up from 25 and clank!
I watched Puffs reaction in the paint and he was pointing to Nickel and when Love let it go, Puffs head sunk immediately.

He is also bringing his teammates down too.
Last night when we had the ball down 10 with some momentum he rushes the ball down court, had T Nick standing all alone in the corner but Caleb pull up from 25 and clank!
I watched Puffs reaction in the paint and he was pointing to Nickel and when Love let it go, Puffs head sunk immediately.

correct, if you watch that specific play, I think most everybody not named Caleb in carolina blue (including players and coaches) either threw their hands up or their head sank like WTF is this guy doing. rinse and repeat and that's our offense thus far this season. Shame on Hubert honestly for letting it get to this point. And the argument that these aren't his guys is ridiculous. Sure Roy was the head coach, but anybody in the knew can tell you that Hubert was our lead recruiter for the better part of the last 5 years under Roy.

Reactions: Heelicious
Caleb at the end of the game with garbage time points made an all time horrendous stat line look just bad. Like it was kinda remarkable how bad it was.

Reactions: Heelicious
Caleb at the end of the game with garbage time points made an all time horrendous stat line look just bad. Like it was kinda remarkable how bad it was.

agreed. take away those 2 makes at the end and it was to the point that somebody needed to take the jersey off his back bad.

Speaking for myself, I'm going to try to cut Caleb more slack. It's not his fault that he isn't the superstar I want him to be - any more than it's RJ's fault that he isn't 6'5, or Leaky's fault that he doesn't have a high-revving motor. They are what they

Every year so called fans join together to blame one or two players on the team if the squad does not live up to their SELFISH EXPECTATIONS. This year it is Love and Nance but recently remember how the fans were ruthless and hateful on Platek, Meeks, Britt, Williams and even Maye, B. Johnson just to name a few.

I never had a coach who did not say the same thing that “u win as a team and lose as a team”. NOT ONE PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WINNING OR LOSING…

Caleb is probably the only player on this years club that has remote chance of playing in the NBA and as one of the captains he is trying to lead by example.

People are saying bench him but who do u bring in. Trimble who never shoots or Dunn who like Walton last year will not drive and only shoots when he is wide open.

People easily forget how Love carried the team against UCLA and Duke during March madness last year. It is the same old thing of what have u done lately?

Nobody who posts here including me could carry his jock and unless you prove me wrong you are wrong…

Not a fan of how Love or really Nance has played this year but every game am gaining more and more appreciation for how important Manek was last year....and how well he played!!!

Every year so called fans join together to blame one or two players on the team if the squad does not live up to their SELFISH EXPECTATIONS. This year it is Love and Nance but recently remember how the fans were ruthless and hateful on Platek, Meeks, Britt, Williams and even Maye, B. Johnson just to name a few.

I never had a coach who did not say the same thing that “u win as a team and lose as a team”. NOT ONE PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WINNING OR LOSING…

Caleb is probably the only player on this years club that has remote chance of playing in the NBA and as one of the captains he is trying to lead by example.

People are saying bench him but who do u bring in. Trimble who never shoots or Dunn who like Walton last year will not drive and only shoots when he is wide open.

People easily forget how Love carried the team against UCLA and Duke during March madness last year. It is the same old thing of what have u done lately?

Nobody who posts here including me could carry his jock and unless you prove me wrong you are wrong…
Everything you said here is true.
I am ready for him to be done at UNC, that is also my TRUTH.😐

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT