ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Talk

Notre Dame probably deserves to be in over Texas A&M, but it would have been nice to see a different team in it. It seems like Bama, OSU, Clemson and Notre Dame get in every year.

Per Lauren Brownlow- UNC's SID says Javonte Williams is "still waiting for (NFL) feedback" but is practicing and preparing for the bowl. The junior is second in the nation in total touchdowns (22) and rushing touchdowns (19) and had 1,140 yards this year.

Have no problem with the players not coming back to opt out. We are young and starting next year and on are when we have a chance to do something great and this gives those young guys great reps and experience heading into the off season workouts and spring practice.
It would be easier to do great things next year from the top 10. That's exactly where we would start with a win.

Reactions: uncboy10
Per Lauren Brownlow- UNC's SID says Javonte Williams is "still waiting for (NFL) feedback" but is practicing and preparing for the bowl. The junior is second in the nation in total touchdowns (22) and rushing touchdowns (19) and had 1,140 yards this year.
That doesn't make me feel good. He's a third round pick at worst. Sounds like he's going to sit out.

If Maye lives up to the hype then he has a legitimate shot at being the first UNC QB to win a conference title in over 40 years. Especially if Mack manages to pull off another great class for 2022.

Clemson is always going to be great but they haven’t had a real challenger in the ACC since FSU imploded.
when The Hat came on board, dominance in the ACC was there for the taking. I remember posting that if we didn't recruit like crazy and win substantially, the opportunity would be capped on by somebody else. We fizzled (understandably, sort of) and Clemson stepped up.

We now have another opportunity and it's been almost dropped in our laps. Hope we don't fumble. My dream is for there to develop a head-to-head slugfest of a rivalry with Clemson, division against division, on the scale of the dook/UNC BB rivalry.

I’m not mad at anyone for opting out. But I am a little bit surprised. We’re gonna get killed on defense without Chazz.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I’m not mad at anyone for opting out. But I am a little bit surprised. We’re gonna get killed on defense without Chazz.
I'm beyond pissed. It's an utter slap in the face. None of these guys will get drafted in the first 2 rounds. Just quit on your coaches and teammates. I'm disgusted. If I was a teammate they would hear from me for sure. Worked all season to get to play in a big time game and quit. Why even play if you're going to quit?

From Ross Martin- #UNC's Mack Brown says that he does not anticipate any more players to opt out of the Orange Bowl. He asked every player to let them know before bowl prep began. So that means WR Dazz Newsome and RB Javonte Williams intend to play in the Orange Bowl. #UNC's Mack Brown says that he does not anticipate any more players to opt out of the Orange Bowl. He asked every player to let them know before bowl prep began. So that means WR Dazz Newsome and RB Javonte Williams intend to play in the Orange Bowl.

It's a shame that these players are abandoning their teammates and coaches and school. Eff them all.

From Ross Martin- #UNC's Mack Brown says that he does not anticipate any more players to opt out of the Orange Bowl. He asked every player to let them know before bowl prep began. So that means WR Dazz Newsome and RB Javonte Williams intend to play in the Orange Bowl. #UNC's Mack Brown says that he does not anticipate any more players to opt out of the Orange Bowl. He asked every player to let them know before bowl prep began. So that means WR Dazz Newsome and RB Javonte Williams intend to play in the Orange Bowl.
Still have a solid chance to win if true. Has A&M had anyone opt out yet?

Notre Dame probably deserves to be in over Texas A&M, but it would have been nice to see a different team in it. It seems like Bama, OSU, Clemson and Notre Dame get in every year.
This ND's 2nd playoff invite. Ohio St now has 4. Clemson and Bama both have 6.

The ACC and SEC are the only 2 conferences with at least 1 team in the playoffs all 7 years.

If we were playing in the Belk bowl or tire bowl, it wouldn't bother me. This game is 100% different though. You don't sit this one out.
The man who is unreliable or dishonorable in little things is highly likely to be unreliable or dishonorable in big things.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Chazz's'es's brother sat out the entire season. I guess we could've anticipated this, but I didn't.

If you are so good you aren't going to participate in the combine, it would take a major injury to hurt you (Jaylon Smith). But a mid or late rounder could be in trouble if they don't perform well at the combine.

The NFL combine started Feb 23rd last yr. That is less than 8 weeks after our bowl game. These players need time to fine-tune their bodies pre-draft for weight, bench and springs. Even a minor injury could mess up the combine performance.

The NFL needs to move the combine way back - like May.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Surrat not playing hurts the most imo..I’m assuming Asante will play in his spot? I’m really hoping Newsome and Williams play! Any word if they will?
A&M has the 4th-best run defense in the country, but I think Javonte can still put on a show. But A&M's OL is huge, and losing Chazz makes me wonder if this will look like Marquis vs Baylor, all points no D.

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
A&M has the 4th-best run defense in the country, but I think Javonte can still put on a show. But A&M's OL is huge, and losing Chazz makes me wonder if this will look like Marquis vs Baylor, all points no D.

They have a great offensive line too. They'll easily control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and we know how that goes.

Something like that. It's going to be brutal.

If we go to the Orange Bowl and get humiliated it will set recruiting back. You know what the story line will be. SEC team dominates want a be ACC team. This was another game to see how we stack up against another potential title contender. Instead 3 starters opt out and take their ball and go home.

If we go to the Orange Bowl and get humiliated it will set recruiting back. You know what the story line will be. SEC team dominates want a be ACC team. This was another game to see how we stack up against another potential title contender. Instead 3 starters opt out and take their ball and go home.

The result won't effect recruiting at all. The program has overachieved and exceed expectations in just year 2. The recruits see what Mack and company are building which is evident by the consecutive top 10-15 classes followed by a strong start in 2022.

The result won't effect recruiting at all. The program has overachieved and exceed expectations in just year 2. The recruits see what Mack and company are building which is evident by the consecutive top 10-15 classes followed by a strong start in 2022.
A win could absolutely help it. There's a difference between saying come play for us so we can right the ship, vs we are a couple of pieces away from winning the ACC and getting in the CFP. You can be that piece.

A win could absolutely help it. There's a difference between saying come play for us so we can right the ship, vs we are a couple of pieces away from winning the ACC and getting in the CFP. You can be that piece.

We'll they've righted the ship, no? 5 wins total in 2017 & 2018 combined and zero bowl games. Fast forward two years, two top 10-15 classes, 3X as many wins and 2 bowl games, 1 being a NY6 bowl game. This 2021 class is the piece that moves them up to a ACC/CFP contender.

We'll they've righted the ship, no? 5 wins total in 2017 & 2018 combined and zero bowl games. Fast forward two years, two top 10-15 classes, 3X as many wins and 2 bowl games, 1 being a NY6 bowl game. This 2021 class is the piece that moves them up to a ACC/CFP contender.
Beating a #5 ranked SEC team in a NY6 is already taking the next step towards an ACC championship. Getting beat is one step away from that. It turns the narrative into, yeah they did good in the ACC but they can't hang with the big boys.

Reactions: strummingram
just so there are no misconceptions here about what we will be facing. A&M has a 4a playoff position, meaning they are a damn good team. Jimbo Fisher is PISSED that they didn't make the playoffs, and has been jacking those jaws to that effect as noticeably as possible. There is going to be a huge motivation for them to stomp a mudhole in us.

And that's not even to mention that he's not likely to have forgotten Nick Weiler's Tomahawk Chop Tour of Doak Campbell Stadium. We could be in for a very uncomfortable night, my friends

Beating a #5 ranked SEC team in a NY6 is already taking the next step towards an ACC championship. Getting beat is one step away from that. It turns the narrative into, yeah they did good in the ACC but they can't hang with the big boys.

They've proven they can hang with the big boys. They've played the #1 and #2 teams in the country the past two years and lost by a combined 15 points. Recruiting isn't going to take a hit, regardless of the outcome. Recruits see what Mack is building and having 4-6 guys drafted in the NFL in a few months will be further proof.

as far as recruiting, i haven’t opened a school football program in years to read about a team...i also don’t sit in a stadium and look at all the signage about what year a team went to which bowl...in fact, does anyone really know how many stadiums or school programs put “x bowl champs” in bold lettering?

what i do know and appreciate is what carolina does at kenan with their former players as well as what other schools do...they advertise national titles, all-americans, conference titles, all-conference, heisman trophy winners, etc...basically individual awards or team titles.

imo, fans, recruits, parents of recruits, and high school coaches remember players and teams, not bowl games...does anyone here re-watch the gator bowl vs vatech or instead remember how dominant the players were on that defense?

as far as a&m, we’ll see how motivated they are from not getting into the cfp...i’ve seen it work that way as well.

just so there are no misconceptions here about what we will be facing. A&M has a 4a playoff position, meaning they are a damn good team. Jimbo Fisher is PISSED that they didn't make the playoffs, and has been jacking those jaws to that effect as noticeably as possible. There is going to be a huge motivation for them to stomp a mudhole in us.

And that's not even to mention that he's not likely to have forgotten Nick Weiler's Tomahawk Chop Tour of Doak Campbell Stadium. We could be in for a very uncomfortable night, my friends
Looks like we’ll be without Brown, Carter, Surratt, and possibly Williams. The first three have opted out, Williams undecided. Without those four guys, our chances are pretty slim.

They've proven they can hang with the big boys. They've played the #1 and #2 teams in the country the past two years and lost by a combined 15 points. Recruiting isn't going to take a hit, regardless of the outcome. Recruits see what Mack is building and having 4-6 guys drafted in the NFL in a few months will be further proof.
But they can't beat the big boys.

Looks like we’ll be without Brown, Carter, Surratt, and possibly Williams. The first three have opted out, Williams undecided. Without those four guys, our chances are pretty slim.
TBH, our chances were pretty slim to begin with, even before those guys opted out. I'll be proud if we can prevent a blowout.

The whole time everybody was pulling for an OB bid, I was thinking 'be careful what you wish for'. I have to agree with the other poster who thinks that if we get mauled, the perception will be that we didn't belong there to begin with.

But they can't beat the big boys.

Yep, year two. Get the 2 point conversion, don't jump offsides, might be a different story. Hanging with the big boys with this roster? Can't wait to see what they do with the influx of talent coming in. Remember when UNC won 2 games 2 years ago? Orange Bowl in 2020. Dabo didn't win double-digit games until year 4.

TBH, our chances were pretty slim to begin with, even before those guys opted out. I'll be proud if we can prevent a blowout.

The whole time everybody was pulling for an OB bid, I was thinking 'be careful what you wish for'. I have to agree with the other poster who thinks that if we get mauled, the perception will be that we didn't belong there to begin with.

Some of ya'll are way too negative. Yes, they are more like Notre Dame in their physical line play but when we're playing our best, we're pretty good too. We'll see if our O-line comes to play and if they do, A&M is going to have a hard time stopping us regardless of Carter and Brown not playing.

Chazz not playing hurts but Bateman gets paid a lot of money for times like this. Maybe we can scheme around that a little and just maybe 4-star recruit Asante is hungry to show what he can do and has a stellar game.

Our D-line had gotten better as the young players get more pt and Big Ray gets some breaks. There's a reason we're only an underdog in Vegas by less than a touchdown. Come in and play all 4 quarters like we did against Miami, and we can definitely win this game.

When the match was announced, CFB commentators tended to focus on the Aggie run D vs. Williams and Carter. Part of that will be missing.

I agree that Jimbo will want to win huge. He left FSU after spending 2 years or more telling boosters that unless they coughed up at least as much dough as Florida boosters, FSU would lose the ability to compete with any SEC team or even at the top of the weak ACC. If he loses a Major Bowl to an ACC 'basketball school' he'll never live it down.

Also, Aggies hate Mack Brown because he coached Texas. Jimbo losing to Mack Brown will not gain trust from Aggie boosters. I expect Jimbo to tell his team that beating UNC is the closest they can get this year to putting a hurt on the hated Longhorns.

Reactions: bluetoe
Yep, year two. Get the 2 point conversion, don't jump offsides, might be a different story. Hanging with the big boys with this roster? Can't wait to see what they do with the influx of talent coming in. Remember when UNC won 2 games 2 years ago? Orange Bowl in 2020. Dabo didn't win double-digit games until year 4.
I'm pleased with the direction, for sure. These guys bailing-out on the team when the team/school/coaches need them the most is just an unexpected downer. UNC is still going to have to prove they can win/beat, not just "hang with" teams.

Some of ya'll are way too negative. Yes, they are more like Notre Dame in their physical line play but when we're playing our best, we're pretty good too. We'll see if our O-line comes to play and if they do, A&M is going to have a hard time stopping us regardless of Carter and Brown not playing.

Chazz not playing hurts but Bateman gets paid a lot of money for times like this. Maybe we can scheme around that a little and just maybe 4-star recruit Asante is hungry to show what he can do and has a stellar game.

Our D-line had gotten better as the young players get more pt and Big Ray gets some breaks. There's a reason we're only an underdog in Vegas by less than a touchdown. Come in and play all 4 quarters like we did against Miami, and we can definitely win this game.
Chazz not playing may hurt a bit less than many of us think, but he also has not been as powerful a presence this year as he was last year. Maybe one of the young LBs will step up, but nobody has so far, not with even half consistency.

Reactions: randman1
When the match was announced, CFB commentators tended to focus on the Aggie run D vs. Williams and Carter. Part of that will be missing.

I agree that Jimbo will want to win huge. He left FSU after spending 2 years or more telling boosters that unless they coughed up at least as much dough as Florida boosters, FSU would lose the ability to compete with any SEC team or even at the top of the weak ACC. If he loses a Major Bowl to an ACC 'basketball school' he'll never live it down.

Also, Aggies hate Mack Brown because he coached Texas. Jimbo losing to Mack Brown will not gain trust from Aggie boosters. I expect Jimbo to tell his team that beating UNC is the closest they can get this year to putting a hurt on the hated Longhorns.
F*** Jimbo Fischer!

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT