ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

I haven't clicked on the Staples piece you linked, Woad, but as long as UNC is good to great there will always be folks linking Fed to a job deemed greater than ours. Any coach for that matter util we become consistently great ourselves. Of course we all know this as I didn't just post some revelation.

That is a football version of the deal stupid GT gave the immortally mediocre Paul Hewitt. Such contracts cripple athletics departments.
Too true, Woad. GT still has not recovered financially from that deal. AD Mike Bobinski wanted to fire bball head coach Brian Gregory after this past season but simply could not afford to do so, and thus Gregory was retained for this season. Similarly, GT simply cannot afford to hire Paul Johnson for a couple more seasons, minimum. It's an awful situation for an athletic department to be in.

As for Sumlin, I've been saying ever since he was a candidate for the A&M job that the jury was very much still out on whether he was a good coach or not. He inherited Case Keenum at Houston who was tailor made to run the system. Then he loses to Fedora's underdog USM squad in the C-USA championship game and goes to Texas A&M where he inherits Johnny Football who was also perfect for the system. Now Sumlin is getting his own QB's in and you're already seeing the decline in wins and also the internal turmoil. A&M will regret that huge Sumlin deal when all is said and done.

Too true, Woad. GT still has not recovered financially from that deal. AD Mike Bobinski wanted to fire bball head coach Brian Gregory after this past season but simply could not afford to do so, and thus Gregory was retained for this season. Similarly, GT simply cannot afford to hire Paul Johnson for a couple more seasons, minimum. It's an awful situation for an athletic department to be in.

As for Sumlin, I've been saying ever since he was a candidate for the A&M job that the jury was very much still out on whether he was a good coach or not. He inherited Case Keenum at Houston who was tailor made to run the system. Then he loses to Fedora's underdog USM squad in the C-USA championship game and goes to Texas A&M where he inherits Johnny Football who was also perfect for the system. Now Sumlin is getting his own QB's in and you're already seeing the decline in wins and also the internal turmoil. A&M will regret that huge Sumlin deal when all is said and done.

Sumlin was very lucky to have inherited a winner at Houston (built by Art Briles), including the best QB in Houston history (I was living in SWC country when both Andre Ware and David Klingler played, and I would take Keenum over both). Inheriting Manziel at A&M is far too lucky after inheriting Keenum. And now it does look bleak in Aggieland. Even getting John Chavis as DC hasn't helped, and the 5 star QBs Sumlin has signed have left.

If we had gotten Sumlin, we would not be in as good shape as we are now. Not close.

Reactions: mbdfan
To be honest, his recruiting results don't exactly blow me away. Here's recruiting info from his Rivals profile (which I realize doesn't always tell the full story):

2015 (Kentucky): 3 three-stars
2014 (Kentucky): 3 three-stars
2013 (Kentucky): 3 three-stars
2012 (Texas Tech): 2 three-stars
2011 (Texas Tech): 1 four-star, 1 three-star

Recruiting to North Carolina should be a little easier than either of those schools. Kentucky football has been an SEC East doormat for years. While Texas Tech has had its share of success on the field, Lubbock is kind of a hole IMO. Anyway, I love the idea of a young, energetic UNC alumnus getting a chance to sell the university where he attended and played. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the hire.

To be honest, his recruiting results don't exactly blow me away. Here's recruiting info from his Rivals profile (which I realize doesn't always tell the full story):

2015 (Kentucky): 3 three-stars
2014 (Kentucky): 3 three-stars
2013 (Kentucky): 3 three-stars
2012 (Texas Tech): 2 three-stars
2011 (Texas Tech): 1 four-star, 1 three-star

Recruiting to North Carolina should be a little easier than either of those schools. Kentucky football has been an SEC East doormat for years. While Texas Tech has had its share of success on the field, Lubbock is kind of a hole IMO. Anyway, I love the idea of a young, energetic UNC alumnus getting a chance to sell the university where he attended and played. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the hire.
I'm totally fine with people being skeptical, especially when they present facts like you've done. But some dudes over there flat-out think he's going to suck and we just have no way of knowing that. The one dude kept trumping Brewster's recruiting success at Florida State. Well, woopty-frickin-do. It's Florida State. I'm a 5'8'' scrawny pale white boy who's never played football in his life and I could pull 4*'s and 5*'s at FSU.

Reactions: Billheel
Scott is a Tar Heel. If Fedora likes him and thinks he can help out the program and the young men he will coach, then I am all in. Welcome back Chad!

Go Heels!!

Reactions: tarheel0910
Wow. That came out of no where. Stoops just pulled a Dean Smith. I always liked him. Good for him walking away like he did. I always respect when a coach just says, "I've had enough". But I lose respect when they return a year later. Here's to hoping Stoops is really done. Great career.
There are many OU fans over the past half decade or more who have become rather vocal in seeing Stoops as past his prime. If the major boosters have been voicing the same things, then Stoops was encouraged to resign.

That title means absolutely nothing. There have been plenty of coach-in-waiting people who didn't wait. Even OU fans are surprised.
One of my more favorite fights with the dumber set of UNC football fans was over Riley. I said from his 1st year at ECU that he was already a sharper, more to be feared OC than Everett Withers ever would be a DC.

Riley could hit the ground running as HC - or he could still need seasoning and flounder after a couple of years. Even if the latter, I expect him to win big as HC eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT