ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

Has anybody seen the Chizik speech at the Broyles Award Dinner? It sounds to me like he is first and foremost about living conditions to maximize time with his family. His daughters are HS seniors this year. I think the son has 2 more years in HS.

Where would your prefer your wife and HS son to be? Chapel Hill or Greenville?

By the way, Lincoln Riley won the Broyles Award. It reminds me of his first year at ECU and as an OC. The Everett Withers defenders were in full force and went nuts when I said that Riley already, in his Year 1 as an OC, was at least as good a coordinator as Withers (who wasted considerably more talent than any coordinator in UNC history) and would blow past him in no time.

When you ask where you would rather live - CH or G'Ville - that's a personal preference. You can't rationalize where someone else wants to raise their family, finish out their family or retire to.

Has anybody seen the Chizik speech at the Broyles Award Dinner? It sounds to me like he is first and foremost about living conditions to maximize time with his family. His daughters are HS seniors this year. I think the son has 2 more years in HS.

Where would your prefer your wife and HS son to be? Chapel Hill or Greenville?
I wouldn't sell Greenville short , it is the most upscale town in Eastern N.C. and is close to the coast. It just depends on what he is looking for and only he knows. Some people find the liberal bias in Chapel Hill a big negative.

Reactions: vikingfan08
I wouldn't sell Greenville short , it is the most upscale town in Eastern N.C. and is close to the coast. It just depends on what he is looking for and only he knows. Some people find the liberal bias in Chapel Hill a big negative.

From the little time I've spent in that area, I found Greenville to be pretty cool.

Any update on Chizik? I read in the other thread that the reports of him meeting with ECU are false as he's out on the recruiting trail. Can anyone confirm?

From the little time I've spent in that area, I found Greenville to be pretty cool.

Any update on Chizik? I read in the other thread that the reports of him meeting with ECU are false as he's out on the recruiting trail. Can anyone confirm?
Hopefully in D.C. area recruiting LB's.

What are the feelings about next UNC OC? Anybody think Fedora will go after a name OC, like Major Applewhite? Is it possible he will try to bring Walt Bell back? Will he promote Heckendorf to a 3rd co-OC (with Brewer and Kapilovic) and play caller?

If Heckendorf is promoted, I would think UNC alum and now Maryland TE coach and RC John Dunn would love to be our TE coach.

He gone from what I understand. Matter of letting the public know. Gawd, I hope it's wrong.

Geeeez. GC hasn't even spoken to anyone from ECU. He's been out recruiting for UNC and hasn't been anywhere close to Greenville. Hasn't spoken to them on the phone, through a text, smoke signals or a psychic medium from what I'm told. If there's any smoke about Chizik to ECU it's coming from their side.

Geeeez. GC hasn't even spoken to anyone from ECU. He's been out recruiting for UNC and hasn't been anywhere close to Greenville. Hasn't spoken to them on the phone, through a text, smoke signals or a psychic medium from what I'm told. If there's any smoke about Chizik to ECU it's coming from their side.
So, you're saying there's still a chance he might become a Pierat?

Like I said I hope im wrong. I've got what I believe to be decent contacts as well and it's actual human beings. I can certainly live with being wrong, but I wasn't a few days ago sans maybe the actual meeting being in Greenville. Things can change as they often do because of numerous things. It's a cluster **** in the Emerald City bc of who was fired and the national perception of the firing. Should have just kept my mouth shut regardless. Who am I?

Like I said I hope im wrong. I've got what I believe to be decent contacts as well and it's actual human beings. I can certainly live with being wrong, but I wasn't a few days ago sans maybe the actual meeting being in Greenville. Things can change as they often do because of numerous things. It's a cluster **** in the Emerald City bc of who was fired and the national perception of the firing. Should have just kept my mouth shut regardless. Who am I?

You can post anything you hear my brutha! My reaction was simply to the "Good as gone". He has not met with any officials or representatives of ECU...at least, not as of yesterday, guaranteed.

Butch Davis said Miami never called after interview and he heard Richt announcement on the radio. Also David Glenn confirms top 2 candidates for ECU are Shane Beamer and Everett Withewrs.

Randy Shannon and moo OC Matt Canada have also interviewed. ECU AD was at NI when Doreen was there with Canada.

Butch Davis said Miami never called after interview and he heard Richt announcement on the radio. Also David Glenn confirms top 2 candidates for ECU are Shane Beamer and Everett Withewrs.
So ECU fires Ruff to hire either Shane Beamer or Everett Withers?

Is it just me, or does that sound like a waste of time and money?

Yeah, I don't get it either. So they had a dip this year, but sheesh... Ruff bled purple; seems like he earned one down year.

I also found Ruffin McNeil's firing as kinda bizarre...As you mentioned, he was all about ECU, and seemed to have the program headed in the right direction, minus this season...From outside looking-in, it appears that there was a personal problem between him and the AD because it makes NO sense to fire a guy with seemingly NO good option to replace him?

Personally, I could care less who the Pirates choose as long as they leave our Coaches alone!

Guys, Ruff has the same issues UNCGrid claimS Fed has - dumb coaching decisions/clock management. Many Pirate fans were tired of it. The current AD didn't hire Ruff and the current President is merely an interim giving the AD the best time to find "his guy". That never bodes well for a coach in football who just had a losing season. However, Ruff was given an out - cut bait with some coaches; make changes. Ruff refused so Compher called his bluff.

Brady Hoke is apparently in the mix now along with Withers, Beamer, Canada and, yes, Chizik. The first three guys appear to be the front runners with probably Beamer being the choice. High risk, but high reward as well with all his knowledge of the recruiting grounds in Va and NC along with his name.

Yeah, I don't get it either. So they had a dip this year, but sheesh... Ruff bled purple; seems like he earned one down year.
in total agreement. Although I heard on a local Greenville station that it wasn't just on the field performance it was also organization and that wasn't elaborated on. The locals aren't happy about it.

Guys, Ruff has the same issues UNCGrid claimS Fed has - dumb coaching decisions/clock management. Many Pirate fans were tired of it. The current AD didn't hire Ruff and the current President is merely an interim giving the AD the best time to find "his guy". That never bodes well for a coach in football who just had a losing season. However, Ruff was given an out - cut bait with some coaches; make changes. Ruff refused so Compher called his bluff.

Brady Hoke is apparently in the mix now along with Withers, Beamer, Canada and, yes, Chizik. The first three guys appear to be the front runners with probably Beamer being the choice. High risk, but high reward as well with all his knowledge of the recruiting grounds in Va and NC along with his name.
A Meeshigun man at ECU? That would be rich.

New ADs often want new HCs of their own choosing. And if Ruff had lost a number of boosters' confidence, then the new AD wanting his man would win the day.

Maybe somebody in the AAC will hire Ruiff as DC so he gets shots to pay back the new ECU AD.

I'm not sure, but I've been intrigued with Anderson and Bell's career path ever since they left.
I think Anderson made the right move to become a P5 HC reasonably quickly. Another SunBelt title should make him a fairly hot property.

For Bell, it has to be a toss up as to which is the better path to secure the ideal 1st HC job: stay with Anderson another year or two or three, or return to UNC and be the very young OC on the best offense in the ACC.

247 Sports is reporting that Brady Hoke and Everett Withers are getting second interviews tomorrow for ezu job. Reports also said that a third coach could get a second interview.

The transfers of Allen and Murray have led to much buzz about the future of Kevin Sumlin, and such talk will always lead to Fedora because of his birth and raising. Andy Staples has a comprehensive article on the Aggie situation.

Here is the key quote: "The real MVP in this situation is Sumlin's agent Trace Armstrong, who convinced Texas A&M in November 2013 to guarantee the entirety of a six-year, $30 million deal and then convinced university officials to agree to a condition that the entirety of his buyout would have to be paid within 60 days of a potential firing. Had LSU gone through with firing Les Miles, Miles would have been owed $16 million. That buyout would have been payable over eight years, making it far more tolerable than a lump sum. Sumlin has extra protection because if he is fired after the '16 campaign, A&M would have two months to pay him $15 million. Texas millionaires are willing part from their money if they get mad enough, but that is a huge chunk of change. Texas A&M won't fire Sumlin unless all hope is lost."

That is a football version of the deal stupid GT gave the immortally mediocre Paul Hewitt. Such contracts cripple athletics departments.

Reactions: randman1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT