ADVERTISEMENT

Final stuff (21-22 season --- Part 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this is a direct continuation from Part 1, so if you haven't already, please check that out first for continuity sake.

As prefaced, Part 2 will focus more on personnel, and the coaching thereof. To that end...

- Adapting at PG: As mentioned, we had no traditional Carolina PG, the key defintiion of which is floor-general. Seamlessly flowing from transition to Freelance and/or set plays requires having one. Most recently, with say, Joel at PG we could run Primary/Secondary (with iiterations)/Freelance, and if the shot-clock got under 10? No worries. He made sure we got a good look. With this crew? Nope. So, although Caleb is a bit better than RJ at transition, Hubert moved RJ to primary Point with the twist of compartmentalizing the decisions. We lost extended transition ops but utilized early forced mismatches (with more 2-high sets) and/or set plays that cleared the floor for RJ to shoot or drive with pre-existing passing options, as opposed to getting caught in no-man's land like last season.

- Accountability: As I said in the first Part, Roy turned around and restored Carolina basketball in the 2000s by restoring the principles of his mentor --- even if doing so was temporarily painful --- which included demanding certain things from players in order to see the court. And in turn, that implied the tacit quid pro quo of consistency from the staff as to how playing time was allocated. Again, those key aspects had gone wanting during the Doherty tenure, and restoring them was key to our resurgence into the 2005 Natty. OK then. Unfortunately however, this was ironically the area with which Roy began to struggle toward the end of his own tenure.

What follows are cases-in-point (with the caveat that some folks are likely not gonna like some of it)...

- Kerwin Walton: Now that transfer destinations are confirmed (and this is NOT intended to pick on a great kid, for whom I wish the best), I'll go ahead and say this straight-up --- if Dean E. Smith had the 20-21 season's roster, under no circumstances would Kerwin have EVER started a game... period. That may sound harsh to some, but you just can't be that bad defensively and start for UNC with our system, one in which defense begets transition, which begets half-court offense. Look, I get that Roy was desperate for the ball to go thru the basket that season, but Carolina history is replete with instant-offense bench guys (e.g., John "Instant" Virgil, Ranzino Smith) who weren't good/consistent enough defensively to be starters, and hell, they were friggin Dudley Bradley compared to Walton. To Hubert's credit, he gave Kerwin every chance to become at least a non-liability on that end, but that just didn't happen... AND with the season-long journey to restoration of Carolina 20 defense being so vital (discussed in Part 1), his deficiencies were all the more glaring.

- Team Chemistry: And ya see, the accountability thing works in both directions. Defense --- even for the gifted --- is hard work. And psychologically, if other players see a guy getting rewarded by the coaches despite failing at that PRIME directive, the natural inclination is "why should I bust my ass to beat my guy to a spot?... or carry out my forces?... or get there a step sooner in Help?" You get the picture. And fact is, on the 20-21 team only two guys played defense worth a sh** --- Andrew Platek (all the time) and Leaky (when he wanted to --- more on that coming below). And speaking of Andrew, there is the other side of accountability. To his credit, Roy recruited him and deservedly utilized him nicely as a rotation piece in his freshman season, but then that went south --- not on Andrew's end, but on Roy's. AP literally did everything he was asked to improve and did, including turning himself into a legit D-1 "plus" defender, but nonetheless saw his playing time diminish and become frustratingly inconsistent. Folks rightly talked about Andrew not living up to rep as a shooter. OK fine, but ask any shooter what it does to your confidence when you know you're on a miss-2-in-a-row-and-get-pulled leash?... in fact, ask Kerwin how hard it is to get a shooting rhythm when your PT gets sparse, hmm?

And look, I mention AP simply because he didn't get the consistent rotational playing-time he earned the old-fashioned Dean Smith way, while Kerwin started despite not doing that. And again, that sends the wrong message to a team (plus, it also cost us an early commitment from Jaden Bradley --- a story for another time). In other words, short-cuts can come back to bite ya --- or as The Eagles put it, "every port of refuge has its price". But mostly, this saga leads us into perhaps the most important personnel success thus far under the Hubert Davis regime....

- The Reclamation of Leaky Black: We all know Roy had "favorites". There's nothing inherently wrong with that --- Dean had his "son" Phil, after all --- but that needs to be earned, like say, Marcus Paige. After him though, that got a bit loose under Roy. Just as Leaky's HS coaches did him no favors by letting him dick around on the perimeter, being Roy's last favorite didn't help either. Quite frankly, Leaky under-performed for 3 seasons. He had little interest in utilizing his length on offense and played defense, well, when he wanted to. Yet, he kept getting rewarded with starts. And I can also tell ya that he wasn't always the best teammate, IYKWIM. Entitlement can do that, and it's also not good for team chemistry (which was an issue last season). Welp, Hubert set a new tone early on (and that got noticed by the other players) by telling him he was looking at a greatly reduced role with his previous level of effort. In fact, many expected him to transfer, but to his credit he stuck it out, and the attitude change stuck out early in Fall camp, and Leaky earned back his starting job. I was vocal in critiquing Leaky previoiusly, but I couldn't be prouder of him for manning-up and remaking his game. He loves UNC, got his degree, and was perhaps the biggest single point of improvement on this team.

So... there's Part 2. Again, sorry if any cages were rattled. I'l do one more (next week maybe) focused on Xs-and-Os and prospects moving forward. Have a great weekend!... :cool:

Last edited:
You put forth a lot of effort to consistently link your analysis to the main treatise - there is a best way
to play basketball, Carolina style as invented by Dean E Smith. There is a reason many refer
to him as Michelangelo. I'm happy that one of his protégées is running our team.
Keep up the effort, G-7.

Well written, G!
Although you probably know I don't agree with some of the Leaky analysis, I do think most of it is spot on! Kerwin is a different kind of cat, and I never could get a good read on him. Leaky, I believe was always going to struggle if asked to do too much. I put more weight on him being asked to prepare to play 4 positions than on any attitude issues! I think much of what appeared to be lackadaisical play was him hesitating because he had to think too much. The game wasn't ever instinctual. Hubs simplified his roles and found him a niche to concentrate on and it rippled through his whole game!

I prefer my Interpretation but then again peeps think my contacts are always blue!

This was pretty good! The Leaky thing I agree with and it makes sense to why he wasn't a captain at least it makes sense to me. Him and Brook just looked like it something was off Brooks last year attitude wise but like you said the change he made was amazing. @gary-7 I do want to know about the Bradley thing only reason because I was told he was UNC to lose by CP3 AAU coach at one time.

Reactions: gary-7
This was pretty good! The Leaky thing I agree with and it makes sense to why he wasn't a captain at least it makes sense to me. Him and Brook just looked like it something was off Brooks last year attitude wise but like you said the change he made was amazing. @gary-7 I do want to know about the Bradley thing only reason because I was told he was UNC to lose by CP3 AAU coach at one time.
I’ll bet you a fat man that Leaky is a captain next year. I imagine he’ll join Love, RJ, and Mando as co-captains.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Well written, G!
Although you probably know I don't agree with some of the Leaky analysis, I do think most of it is spot on! Kerwin is a different kind of cat, and I never could get a good read on him. Leaky, I believe was always going to struggle if asked to do too much. I put more weight on him being asked to prepare to play 4 positions than on any attitude issues! I think much of what appeared to be lackadaisical play was him hesitating because he had to think too much. The game wasn't ever instinctual. Hubs simplified his roles and found him a niche to concentrate on and it rippled through his whole game!

I prefer my Interpretation but then again peeps think my contacts are always blue!
Bottom line with Leaky, Roy simply did a poor job with him. Roy never really defined Leaky's role on this team, he had him scattered. Starts off trying to make him in to a PG, then more a point forward, then, then who knows what he ended up being in Roy's last season. With Brooks and Leaky, sorry, love Roy but his handing of those 2 guys was head scratching for me.

I love Roy to death and will argue until I'm blue in the face when peeps criticize him, BUT he really let his love and loyalty blind him to Brooks ' as he wilted under expectations and became an increasingly cancerous team mate! Leaky was as much need as wanting to let him explore. Leaky and his peeps wanted him to become a PG, but like many he simply needed to follow what his skill set dictated!

We all wondered what was wrong with Roy’s last team. Some strong words about Leaky and Brooks from some key posters. Are these opinions or things that you know? And no disrespect meant.

I love Roy to death and will argue until I'm blue in the face when peeps criticize him, BUT he really let his love and loyalty blind him to Brooks ' as he wilted under expectations and became an increasingly cancerous team mate! Leaky was as much need as wanting to let him explore. Leaky and his peeps wanted him to become a PG, but like many he simply needed to follow what his skill set dictated!
Obviously, you, @DSouthr, myself and others ITT all love Roy, and as I said, there's no way to overstate what a great job he did here. However, all coaches have their achilles heels, and Roy's was always his seat-of-the-pants handling of personnel, and it got to be a bigger issue over the last few seasons. In previous times he'd eventually figure it out in time to avoid NIT-land (e.g. finally starting Butter over Drew, or getting over being "ticked" at LMac), but it had gotten to the point of affecting recruiting well before the Bradley situation.

I've gotten push-back here on this before, but IDGAS because I know this to be true --- the most damaging example of a personnel mistake was not starting Joel Berry as a freshman. THAT one had immediate repercussions. Hell, I literally overheard conversations at AAU events in which the UNC-haters were hammering Roy on that. Joel was (rightly) an AAU/HS legend, to the point that when he committed, the haters were like "Oh crap, Roy's got his PG" (one of my coach buds heard that verbatim), so needless to say they were downright gleeful when Roy underutilized him.

Fortunately, Roy finally got that fixed, but at the cost of an underachieving season and the aforementioned recruiting flack. And, as mentioned in the OP, these things affect team chemistry in manners that can work in both directions. On one end, I stand by what I said above: Kerwin should never have started a game at Carolina, and Leaky would've benefitted from the prospect of more bench time before this season, while on the other side of that, JB should've started every game he ever played here --- and BTW, the fact he didn't damn near caused a team mutiny in 2015.

But with all that said, hey... handling personnel is a constant challenge for any coach --- one that Hubert will hafta learn to navigate moving forward --- and previewing Part 3, for one example, the way the rotation was managed this season is probably not sustainable in the long run...... :oops: :cool:

Great insight Gary… thanks again!

I agree with the chink in Roy’s armour - didn’t realise the issue with JB but it showed terribly with the overuse of Garrison in 20-21.

And yet at times he was ahead of the curve… he gave Luke Maye plenty of opportunity and that paid off well, as did his dedication to Brice Johnson.

As much as we all loved and appreciated him, Roy bowed out at a good time, with the program and brand strong and with a very capable successor (funny, I wanted Wes but was happy with Hubert - now more than happy)

But with all that said, hey... handling personnel is a constant challenge for any coach --- one that Hubert will hafta learn to navigate moving forward --- and previewing Part 3, for one example, the way the rotation was managed this season is probably not sustainable in the long run...... :oops: :cool:
Yeah like in the next 6 months. 😮

Yeah like in the next 6 months. 😮
I think he will. Interestingly, a friend sent me an article, a 247 interview with Brad that came out yesterday, and he mentioned that Hubert is indeed still feeling his way thru sub patterns --- and he seemed to indicate that now that the everyone has had time to breathe, it'll likely be adjusted going forward.

Also, I'll admit to smiling because Brad described their rationale of moving RJ to primary PG pretty much the way I did in the OP :)

We are a legit 10 deep with very little drop off next season.
I just pray the young guys(Shaver, Nickel, Trimble) will be patient.

Agree Fla Tar Heel. For sure an Iron Five is not sustainable, nor in the mode of DES style hoops;
Hubert and staff have a challenge on their hands parsing out the minutes this coming season.
I envision practices so competitive that it brings the best efforts of every player
straight out into the open.

I don't for one second think anyone at UNC thinks the Iron 5 is a good way to handle a team; but last year I still struggle to see how you could give anybody significantly more time when it would have meant a serious drop off in play and definitely more losses! Hubs needed to win for many reasons and one is already paying dividends! Look at the cachet UNC has regained in recruiting! I will take a few disgruntled bench players when balanced with a run to the Natty game and 5* recruits putting UNC back on their lists! Next year, on the other hand, I expect us to run at least 10 deep and possibly flirt with 12 getting some run! BUt I have no problem with playing those who earn it, no matter how many that turns out to be! I would love to speed up too and go back to coming at peeps in waves with no significant drop off in play! I love the pro-style tweaks to our base O and expect Hubs to put even more of a stamp on our Secondary! I see a team that could be truly special on D and I expect to see us switch D more often too!

Dang, It's good to be the King! (again)

It will be interesting to see how HD manages the players now that he will have at least 9-10 guys expecting playing time. We were very fortunate this past year not to lose a key starter to a serious injury and next year will be critical to develop 8-9 guys that can be relied upon for extended minutes. I would be shocked if the rotation isn’t expanded and it will need to be.

This is as good a place to ask this as anywhere else:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Ant Harris beat the shit out of Garcia in the locker room and that is actually the reason that he was unavailable for the remainder of the year and not grades? And then to watch the rest of the season, it looked as if the rest of the team took Harris' side in the dispute with Garcia.

Great insight Gary… thanks again!

I agree with the chink in Roy’s armour - didn’t realise the issue with JB but it showed terribly with the overuse of Garrison in 20-21.

And yet at times he was ahead of the curve… he gave Luke Maye plenty of opportunity and that paid off well, as did his dedication to Brice Johnson.

As much as we all loved and appreciated him, Roy bowed out at a good time, with the program and brand strong and with a very capable successor (funny, I wanted Wes but was happy with Hubert - now more than happy)
I agree Roy left at the right time. If he had stayed, he likely would have become a Jim Boeheim figure, someone who lingers on long after their best days have passed. I am still not 100% confident that Hubert Davis is the right coach, but he is on his way to winning me over with his ability to recruit great players to the program and his coaching abilities that were displayed last season. Next season, I want to see the Heels have a deeper bench in case of injuries or any other reasons players are unavailable.

This is as good a place to ask this as anywhere else:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Ant Harris beat the shit out of Garcia in the locker room and that is actually the reason that he was unavailable for the remainder of the year and not grades? And then to watch the rest of the season, it looked as if the rest of the team took Harris' side in the dispute with Garcia.
I shall neither confirm nor deny said allegations as factual, all I can do is LOL ! Stuff that happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room. Sean May missed a game or 2 afterward as well as I recall, not to infer that Sean was involved in anything here, just recalling history. I would suggest neither Sean nor Ant's Christmas card list will include Garcia from this point on.

Nah, wrote out more to this post, read it several times, decided to cut that off, not that is was not true but more that sometimes what happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room.

Reactions: shun1
Roy was winning another National Championship, or two. His final recruiting class laid the foundation.
I'm 1000% convinced of that.
He wasn't ready to retire and has said as much.😢

I agree Roy left at the right time. If he had stayed, he likely would have become a Jim Boeheim figure, someone who lingers on long after their best days have passed. I am still not 100% confident that Hubert Davis is the right coach, but he is on his way to winning me over with his ability to recruit great players to the program and his coaching abilities that were displayed last season. Next season, I want to see the Heels have a deeper bench in case of injuries or any other reasons players are unavailable.
Look, without getting too deep into the well, I want to make it clear that neither of these "Final Stuff" OPs were in any way intended to lend creedence to any sort of nonsense that the game had passed Roy by, or such. And Roy's retirement had little to do with age --- Dean should've coached 10 more years with a couple more Nattys --- it was about Roy's aforementioned achilles heels getting the best of him, nothing more, nothing less.

As for Hubert, let's just say I'm struggling to understand how anyone could still be questioning the hire.

I'll say it more forcefully! Roy was still the best coach in the game when he left! He was tired of the new breed of athlete (and their parents); worried about the impact of NIL; tired of stuff like the portal; and he was really hurt by how the players he backed so strenuously in a sense betrayed his trust and became problems for his team. I would bet good money he felt he couldn't give it his all any more because he knew he didn't reach this new breed to the level he used to. X & O was never a problem! It was Jimmys and Joes!

Anybody still questioning Hubs is either totally lacking in bball knowledge, has been living under a rock for months, OR has a personal agenda! Nobody can predict the future, but name me one coach that could have done better (or even has done better) in his first year!

Roy made the ultimate sacrifice and at the same time ensured the Tar Heel Family was in good hands after he left!

I owe Ol' Roy a lifetime of thanks!

I'll say it more forcefully! Roy was still the best coach in the game when he left! He was tired of the new breed of athlete (and their parents); worried about the impact of NIL; tired of stuff like the portal; and he was really hurt by how the players he backed so strenuously in a sense betrayed his trust and became problems for his team. I would bet good money he felt he couldn't give it his all any more because he knew he didn't reach this new breed to the level he used to. X & O was never a problem! It was Jimmys and Joes!

Anybody still questioning Hubs is either totally lacking in bball knowledge, has been living under a rock for months, OR has a personal agenda! Nobody can predict the future, but name me one coach that could have done better (or even has done better) in his first year!

Roy made the ultimate sacrifice and at the same time ensured the Tar Heel Family was in good hands after he left!

Very well stated!!! Roy did something big that is in the minority for today’s Coaches, players or what have you and that is he put the program and it’s best interests instead of himself. Heck yeah he still was at the top but I agree in that I believe he was just going to keep getting more frustrated with all of the new things added to the game. Transfer Portal, Nil, etc… Roy even admitted of things that he did wrong in some games that he coached. Who does that?! A man with HIGH character and a love for the University. To throw out a personal note. I’ve always told my kids that the definition of love is to put whoever or whatever before yourself. Coach Roy Williams LOVES UNC. Look at him all year at our games, home or away and in the tournament. If I’m a recruit I’m looking at that and going man that’s special. People can talk about their programs and it’s a Family atmosphere but Tar Heels live it and show it and that’s me being objective

Every time I think about criticizing Roy I step back and ask the question: How many coaches in NCAA history has won at least 3 NCAA titles? Then I go back in my corner and shut up.

Then I ask a follow-up which is more current: Who is primarily responsible for Hubert being UNC's current head coach?

Criticize Roy? No can do! I love myself some Roy Williams!

Very well stated!!! Roy did something big that is in the minority for today’s Coaches, players or what have you and that is he put the program and it’s best interests instead of himself. Heck yeah he still was at the top but I agree in that I believe he was just going to keep getting more frustrated with all of the new things added to the game. Transfer Portal, Nil, etc… Roy even admitted of things that he did wrong in some games that he coached. Who does that?! A man with HIGH character and a love for the University. To throw out a personal note. I’ve always told my kids that the definition of love is to put whoever or whatever before yourself. Coach Roy Williams LOVES UNC. Look at him all year at our games, home or away and in the tournament. If I’m a recruit I’m looking at that and going man that’s special. People can talk about their programs and it’s a Family atmosphere but Tar Heels live it and show it and that’s me being objective
Well said buddy.

Look, without getting too deep into the well, I want to make it clear that neither of these "Final Stuff" OPs were in any way intended to lend creedence to any sort of nonsense that the game had passed Roy by, or such. And Roy's retirement had little to do with age --- Dean should've coached 10 more years with a couple more Nattys --- it was about Roy's aforementioned achilles heels getting the best of him, nothing more, nothing less.

As for Hubert, let's just say I'm struggling to understand how anyone could still be questioning the hire.
There were other things that led to Roys stepping down beyond his control- things that ate away at him cutting him To his core. One thing about Roy is he’s definitely a ‘Loyal Little sucker’ and when said loyalty ceases from
Going both ways …….. that includes loyalty to the team and University.

Spot on man with Roy. I heard most of that come directly out of his own mouth. And he had zero control over the clouds. Then when that which he held as the most endearing - character - his own and HIS team became soiled, it hurt and left scars. A lesser man would have hung them
Up much earlier. But even Roy said the entire mess changed him. When Character and trust are questioned and soiled, its hard to let go, especially for us STUBBORN old cats.

Im diggin on HD now, finally, but am still and forever shaken and changed at Roys demise and the way if his departure. My only solace is that he’s still an active fan now able to enjoy his family and golf game.

I'll say it more forcefully! Roy was still the best coach in the game when he left! He was tired of the new breed of athlete (and their parents); worried about the impact of NIL; tired of stuff like the portal; and he was really hurt by how the players he backed so strenuously in a sense betrayed his trust and became problems for his team.

And if he announced he was coming out of retirement he would be the best again!

• Love
Spot on man with Roy. I heard most of that come directly out of his own mouth. And he had zero control over the clouds. Then when that which he held as the most endearing - character - his own and HIS team became soiled, it hurt and left scars. A lesser man would have hung them
Up much earlier. But even Roy said the entire mess changed him. When Character and trust are questioned and soiled, its hard to let go, especially for us STUBBORN old cats.

Im diggin on HD now, finally, but am still and forever shaken and changed at Roys demise and the way if his departure. My only solace is that he’s still an active fan now able to enjoy his family and golf game.
I think you're correct about the outside crap. I've tried to convey the sheer negativity out there in recruiting towards UNC --- something that already existed in AAU world --- and the crap giving the haters more ammunition eventually affected Roy's coaching. That was particularly true with the "long game" as compared to immediate results. Hopefully Hubert can settle in now and coach for the long game, as we're used to here. It sure was good to see Roy beaming with pride watching our success down the stretch this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT