ADVERTISEMENT

Kessler coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gonzaga will have TWO of the best point guards in the country next season, not sure what your point is here?
I knew Suggs was gone, and I figure Kessler will want to be sure to play with a good PG. He knows who we have, so I was wondering if having Caleb and RJ would appeal to him more than whoever Gonzaga will have.

If you were in his shoes, which PGs would appeal to you more?

Hey,

I've been calling him "Hubs" for decades. I got it from the fan chants during games! HUUUBBBS! (pronounced with a long U as in "lubes"!)

Sounds to me like Roy wasn't kissing any asses to keep players, and parents happy and some one else is willing to!
That's certainly a possibility, but there are other options, too.

Maybe he just had second thoughts.

Maybe he didn't think Roy was going to use him the way he wants to be used but with a new coach and several other players leaving, maybe he feels good about fitting in here again.

Probably some other variables, as well.

If he does actually stay with UNC, I hope we find out. But we may not.

So you're saying the issue is Kessler couldn't stand up to his dad and we need for his dad to commit to UNC? Not sure how much better that is. Hopefully if he does come back, he'll be able to tell his dad to shut up when his dad acts like a puss again. I guess they got rid of who their problem was, though.
I'm not sure Kessler got fewer minutes than he earned, but he seems to have felt that way. And his dad backed him up. I don't see any reason to be mad at either of them for that. I mean a lot of us were calling for Kessler to get more minutes. And it's only right that a parent supports his kid.

Now it looks like there will be all the PT Kessler can handle, and the "system" may be more permissive of the way Kessler wants to develop (less back to the basket, more opportunity to move outside the lane).

I guess the real question is whether his dad will be OK if/when Kessler decides to stay with UNC. Unless dad harbors some resentment, I see this blowing over pretty quickly.

The day Hubert was announced as the coach he went on ESPN and basically said the same thing regarding kids wanting to face up to the basket now and stretch the floor.

It seems clear that Hubert is more interested in that approach than Roy was hence why Kessler would possibly come back.

If anyone really thinks Roy, who has coached for over 30 years, retired because one kid decided to transfer is out of their mind.
Yeah Travis, you pretty much nailed it!

I didn't like it when I saw kessler was entering the portal but considering how in his time with us he represented the program on and off the floor well, there was no reason to trash him. He said nothing at all negative toward Roy, any of Roy's staff, or the school in his announcement. There were 2 things while Roy was our coach that the huge majority of Tar Heel fans agreed on, one was that Roy was the only coach we wanted and should be our coach for as long as Roy wanted to be our coach. But ya know, the other thing is pretty much everyone here, I think same applies to most all UNC fans, that there were some things that Roy was heard headed to a fault about. Roy had his way of doing things, we accepted that even when we disagreed with parts of it.

Now one part of Roy's system that was controversial was his absolute sticking with the 2 post man scheme, some wanted that (count me as one of those) and some wanted us to go small ball or at least a 4 that stretches the floor out to the trey arch. Either side of that fence you may be on know, there is value and merit to either argument as well as limitations of each. Kessler wants to play in more of a stretch version offense and as you know Roy was not in to his 7ft guy being 30'+ from the basket. Yet the 2 bigs in the lane does clog that lane up, makes it hard for a big to get good operating room inside, makes the pass in to a big more difficult, and makes it extra hard for a guard to penetrate the lane with the dribble, clogs up outlet passing lanes when they do. It takes coordination between multiple players to have the 2 big game work smoothly and that exposes us when our experience level is low, as has been the case for the last 2 seasons. That is a lot of the reason we see our freshmen, especially our guards, struggle early on. They have to play thru those early struggles to really grasp what Roy wanted. Kessler just didn't see that as the type of offensive attack he believes he best fits, I may not have liked it but that was hard to argue against as well. Hubert has let it be known, he is not going to be as married to the twin tower look, not that he is going to a strick iso, 4 around a center look either but more that he is going to pull one of his bigs out of the paint much more often than Roy was willing so that defenders will follow out of the paint & open that painted area up.

I think Hubert will look to pull one of the bigs out of the paint and then have him crash in on the shot thru a lane to the rim or if it is a big that can stroke it give him the OK to take it if he is open, has to in order to pull a big defender out of the paint to defend. Keep in mind, my position has been all last season, our problem was not on the defensive end, thou we did need to play harder from the opening tip. The real problem was lack of scoring, many times our scoring came from a guard taking a bad shot and one of our bigs getting a rebound stick back. While when we were able to get out and run we clicked but the last 2-3yrs teams have really done everything they could to keep us in more of a half court game. Our half court attack was a problem, we tried to force things to often, probe around the horn looking for a pass in to a big man, couldn't find it, pump up a rushed trey with a second or so on the shot clock. Hard to blame Kessler for not considering that as the type of offensive attack he wanted to play in, but with what Hubert is looking to do, well now that becomes a very different thing, made even easier if we can get some consistent production from our wing (3) spot. I do expect with Hubert, Leaky's PT will take a hard hit because I do not expect to see Leaky all the sudden become a solid or willing jump shooter but more come off the bench as a situational defender.

If Kessler wants to come back, I for one am all for it 1000% for it in fact!

Those of you (including me originally) that are calling Kessler a quitter or saying he quit on the team, remember this. Every player in the portal quit on his previous team, so any player we sign is already a quitter! That's your logic. The exception is those very few that were asked to leave by their coaches.

Well he left because him and/or his people didn't like his usage. Roy, the guy who decided how he would be used is gone. Since the guy that decided his usage is gone, the issue he was having isn't there anymore and he's willing to consider playing for UNC without Roy. He wasn't planning to do that with Roy. Of course you know all of this. You're just being deliberately obtuse. That's kind of your thing though.
I don't know why he decided to transfer. People are speculating as to why. Some people have created a whole narrative based on these speculations. I'm not being obtuse at all.

Those of you (including me originally) that are calling Kessler a quitter or saying he quit on the team, remember this. Every player in the portal quit on his previous team, so any player we sign is already a quitter! That's your logic. The exception is those very few that were asked to leave by their coaches.
Yeah and I think especially so in this season of covid, it has been easier (thanks to Emmert's NCAA bone headed decisions) for players to quit on their former teams and that is dramatically elevated when we consider freshmen.

Highly prized freshmen, who most all played the AAU and travel team circuts where changing teams was more the rule than the exception, so loyality to team mates and school is not as clear for them as it used to be. These kids do not look at it as much a emotion decision but more a business decision void of emotional things like love for school or team. Now what helps a lot of these kids thru this are things like walking around campus and folks showering you with welcomes, sharing how much love they have for you committing to their beloved program. They begin to fall in love with the rest of the university, not just the facilities for athletes. Running out of that tunnel to 20,000+ screaming fans or even booing fans is just an experience none of them are ready for but the love showered on them in that is immense and it as well helps bond these kids to the university. But in this year of covid, these kid's spent their season locked in a bubble, they got none of those things that typically bods a kid to the school, it was more like what they experienced in AAU where they learned to change teams like yesterdays clothes. NCAA comes along and takes away anything that hinders these kids from leaving without them ever having the opportunity to experie4nce what being a UNC Tar Heel player is really all about, why the family bond is what it is.

I promise you there was not a single freshman for any team in the country that signed up for that lock down bubble experience and I doubt any of them enjoyed it, it showed in freshman play. Before we get to critical of Kessler, just consider what he went thru and know it was not close to what the freshmen of the past ever had to deal with, you can not judge him without understanding that.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Hubert said publicly that he wants Kess back. Did he say publicly that he wants Brooks back?

I knew Suggs was gone, and I figure Kessler will want to be sure to play with a good PG. He knows who we have, so I was wondering if having Caleb and RJ would appeal to him more than whoever Gonzaga will have.

If you were in his shoes, which PGs would appeal to you more?
Well.... Pure point guard, Nembhard is the best of the 4, but I would take a Sophomore Love and possibly a Sophomore Davis over a Freshman Sallis for next season. This off season is huge for player development with our young guards.

You left out...
-Da Ron ops to nba
-Brooks enters portal
Because that's irrelevant to the discussion. Unless you're trying to say Kessler might have been so upset at the thought of not playing with them that he wanted to transfer.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT