ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Mayer?

With some of the crazy hairstyles we have on our team, I don’t think we should be using expressions like “mullet-boy” or “the mullet”. He or his parents could be visiting this site and using disparaging nicknames isn’t going to help our chances.
Arch I can’t tell if you are being serious but if so, I’d bet a dollar to donuts that he catches heck for his hair style wherever he goes. That cut is intentional just like mandos. If something like that keeps him away then he needs to put his big boy panties on. Lol

Arch I can’t tell if you are being serious but if so, I’d bet a dollar to donuts that he catches heck for his hair style wherever he goes. That cut is intentional just like mandos. If something like that keeps him away then he needs to put his big boy panties on. Lol
So would you be okay with it if some of our fans called Mando “Dred-boy” or “Dred”? I think that would be met with much resistance. I heard one of his teammates joking about his hairstyle but he knows Mayer very well. We don’t, there’s a big difference. Now if that’s what his friends call him and he embraces it, that’s totally different. Otherwise, it’s disrespectful.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
So would you be okay with it if some of our fans called Mando “Dred-boy” or “Dred”? I think that would be met with much resistance. I heard one of his teammates joking about his hairstyle but he knows Mayer very well. We don’t, there’s a big difference. Now if that’s what his friends call him and he embraces it, that’s totally different. Otherwise, it’s disrespectful.
I honestly wouldn’t care either way. They have it for attention anyway. I think it looks like crap but lol I’m bald.

Several good to great players with experience that we have a very good shot at securing......hmmm seems a pretty good problem to have! I remember a time not so long ago that UNC had to accept anyone willing to put on the Uni!

It sure is good to be the King...again!

1. Is it down to Nance or Mayer?

2. Is KJ Williams no longer in the running?

3. Are we looking at anyone else?

4. We're interested in them, but do we know if they are interested in us?

5. Are NIL packages being worked up for any of them?

We're gonna wind up losing a good player or three if we keep playing this got-to-find-another-Brady Manek game. Puff and Styles I'm sure don't like this idea at all, and who could blame them?
It's the same with recruiting a one and done guy. I think they'll understand the best player starts and they have to earn it.

Maybe Hubert can play a bigger rotation that can spread some minutes out and help develop a bigger bench. This is especially critical if there are injuries, of course.

There will be plenty of minutes to go around and anybody will be allowed to earn their share! If you are dedicated in practice; take care of business on the court; and stay true in class-you will get PT!

Why would anyone assume anything else?

Looks like it’s down to these four and three of them have declared for the NBA Draft.

Pete Nance
Patrick Baldwin, Jr
Matthew Mayer
Jaidon Delaire

I doubt all three will stay in the draft. My Crystal Ball says Matthew Mayer.

I would be perfectly fine with our team as it is constructed! I also would love an insurance Big, but I think some of Washington, Shaver, and McKoy will be coached up enough to handle backing up Bacot! IMO Meyer is not a backup 5 so if he joins the Family, the three I mentioned still have to step up!

So much speculation. Not going to bite until the roster is set. Then I finally know what I’m going to appreciate next year.
I'm also laughing at some of the posted "heights" ITT... :oops::p
Dontrez is closer to 6'7 than 6'5, and the Mullet might hit 6'8 with platform sneakers.
Fact is, neither can replicate Brady's legit big body for inside play, BUT Dontrez's raw athleticism or Mullet's skills (or Puff's length) would allow either to perform credibly in the Hybrid role.

saw a photo of Leaky and Puff standing together a while back and I'd swear Puff is 1" taller than Leaky, and Leaky is a ligit 6'8" so Puff is almost 6'9"...Dunn may be 6'4" but yeah Dontrez is about 6'7". IMO Puff and Dontrez can cover two spots if needed.
Again, not a fan of Mayer, Nance has better numbers statistically.

I'm also laughing at some of the posted "heights" ITT... :oops::p
Dontrez is closer to 6'7 than 6'5, and the Mullet might hit 6'8 with platform sneakers.
Fact is, neither can replicate Brady's legit big body for inside play, BUT Dontrez's raw athleticism or Mullet's skills (or Puff's length) would allow either to perform credibly in the Hybrid role.

Hubert has said many times he wishes he could cut Leaky in half for defense, while Mayer isnt on Leakys level defensively, you still get an above average defender, that can guard the 3 and 4. He isnt on Maneks level of shooting, but he brings other assets to the table, and isnt a terrible shooter by any means.

Seems like we have two great potential options. Regardless of how it shakes out, I'm excited for the coming season! I'd prefer the one who could play the 5 most effectively, but I think both seem like great players with good versatility and I'd be elated with either one.

Carolina has really had cool opportunities lately. From the opportunity to knock of K in his last home game, to the opportunity to end his career against 5 NBAers in the Final Four, to the opportunity next year to run it back a la 2017.

I look back with fond memories of the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 teams. It was crazy in late 2017 to see the Heels playing so well in late game situations (like the Arkansas, Oregon and Gonzaga NCAA games) and I am very hopeful we get to feel that sense of redemption that we all felt when Joel, Theo, Justin, Isiah and Kennedy (among others) cut down the nets in '17.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Occy64
Hubert has said many times he wishes he could cut Leaky in half for defense, while Mayer isnt on Leakys level defensively, you still get an above average defender, that can guard the 3 and 4. He isnt on Maneks level of shooting, but he brings other assets to the table, and isnt a terrible shooter by any means.
What he brings that is unique is a remarkable offensive skillset, particularly handle and passing, for his size.

I am gonna go ahead and call this one, Mayer withdraws from the draft and commits to UNC.

• Love
I had asked earlier but I did not get a reply but does anyone know why Matthew would transfer from Baylor?
Just speculating, but maybe to try something else in his grad year? He has a degree from Baylor, not so different than how many grad students don't want to go to the same school as they did their undergrad.

Gives you a chance to try something new, meet more people, add another brand to your resume/network, and have a different experience. Could be any of these things, or as simple as wanting to highlight a different skillset.

Just speculating, but maybe to try something else in his grad year? He has a degree from Baylor, not so different than how many grad students don't want to go to the same school as they did their undergrad.

Gives you a chance to try something new, meet more people, add another brand to your resume/network, and have a different experience. Could be any of these things, or as simple as wanting to highlight a different skillset.
I was curious because he is already established with a very successful team. OHe starts games now and he has gelled with everyone. Usually a coaching change could be a factor ( Brady ) but that is not the case in this situation. I saw a headlined article from a Baylor website that had asked the question if he could and or would come back to Baylor if he puts off the NBA. I didn’t read it at the time but I wonder if that is still a possibility for him.

I was curious because he is already established with a very successful team. OHe starts games now and he has gelled with everyone. Usually a coaching change could be a factor ( Brady ) but that is not the case in this situation. I saw a headlined article from a Baylor website that had asked the question if he could and or would come back to Baylor if he puts off the NBA. I didn’t read it at the time but I wonder if that is still a possibility for him.
Everyone around the situation has said he's not returning to Baylor.

I had asked earlier but I did not get a reply but does anyone know why Matthew would transfer from Baylor?
Like any Grad Transfer, changing schools after 4yrs offers new experiences, opportunities whilst still playing college ball.

Just like Garrison and Platek both transferred after 4yrs of UNC (and didn’t they miss out on a great run!).

Reality is, the opportunity to change is there and some will take it, whilst others are happy where they are (Leaky)

As long as transferring is done respectfully, I have no problem with it, especially for grad guys (who’ve likely given a scholarship worth of effort)

Like any Grad Transfer, changing schools after 4yrs offers new experiences, opportunities whilst still playing college ball.

Just like Garrison and Platek both transferred after 4yrs of UNC (and didn’t they miss out on a great run!).

Reality is, the opportunity to change is there and some will take it, whilst others are happy where they are (Leaky)

As long as transferring is done respectfully, I have no problem with it, especially for grad guys (who’ve likely given a scholarship worth of effort.

As long as transferring is done respectfully, I have no problem with it, especially for grad guys (who’ve likely given a scholarship worth of effort)
Yeah I get new experiences but when a guy is entrenched in that Teams dna and the teams success for the last few years it’s just odd. I didn’t know if someone knew the answer as to why he is in the transfer portal and not just speculating as to why. Lol, but no way in hell do we make that run if Garrison is still on the Team. Unless Hubert just doesn’t play him like he did Kerwin. As for Platek I rooted so hard for that young man but unfortunately his great practices could never translate to games.

Reactions: be-heeled
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT