ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Mayer?

I also wonder why Mayer wants to leave Baylor,
I think he sees an opportunity. He wasn't starting at Baylor, their system is not in his favor, he knows UNC out of the gate is a contender and plays a system he would likely REALLY thrive in regardless at a 4 or backing up the five .. not to mention the NIL $$ UNC has got to have over Baylor and the national exposure and brand. Actually an intelligent career move any way you slice it and likely a win / win for both him and UNC !

Reactions: Steat
Seems like Caleb is doing some recruiting too. I saw a recent interview where GG said Caleb is trying trying to convince him to come a year early and that they will talk on the phone for 20-30 minutes somewhat regularly. Any one of GG/Mayer/Nance would be the icing on the cake!!!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He started all 33 games for Baylor this season.
True .. but last year was the first year he started any games with Baylor .. but still only avgd. a little over 20 mpg. Maybe should have said he wasn't happy with his role at Baylor. Us old people get confused with both important and trivial stuff at times .. my bad.

Torn between nance and Mayer seems nance has the better numbers. What’s the chances he stays in the draft? Let me guess 50/50 lol

I’m fine if we don‘t add anybody, but I would feel more comfortable knowing we had a little more proven depth in case of injuries. Either of those two would fit the bill. My personal preference would be Nance because I think he’s more capable of sliding to the five to spell Bacot. Regardless, all the speculation re: the draft will be done within the week and we should be getting decisions shortly thereafter. Thank goodness.

• Love
I’m fine if we don‘t add anybody, but I would feel more comfortable knowing we had a little more proven depth in case of injuries. Either of those two would fit the bill. My personal preference would be Nance because I think he’s more capable of sliding to the five to spell Bacot. Regardless, all the speculation re: the draft will be done within the week and we should be getting decisions shortly thereafter. Thank goodness.
IC just put up an article on the transfer options. Both the national scout and the IC writer talked about Nance being a true college 5, that would be a bad fit defensively if we tried to make him a 4. He can shoot the three point shot well, but nothing else about him fits the 4 spot.

I think he sees an opportunity. He wasn't starting at Baylor, their system is not in his favor, he knows UNC out of the gate is a contender and plays a system he would likely REALLY thrive in regardless at a 4 or backing up the five .. not to mention the NIL $$ UNC has got to have over Baylor and the national exposure and brand. Actually an intelligent career move any way you slice it and likely a win / win for both him and UNC !
Brady Manek made this video during the NCAA tournament and it made him 50K in NIL. You are spot on!

He is living his best life!

And he is helping the Family along the way!

Perfect advertisement to let peeps know the value of the Tar Heel Family!

Reactions: Heels5150
Grizzly Adams was my favorite old show, I love me some ZZ Top, and Manek is one of my favorite Tar Heels!

I wonder if I just like beards!

Reactions: Steat
Thorough update on Mayer, fresher than the top four reported earlier, fewer schools in fact. Plus much more. This is a big info drop.

I'll always bet on Hubs if everything else is equal! It would be hard to beat the character and passion that shines whenever he speaks! Looking at Mayer's list, I would say we have a pretty good shot, but one never knows about the effect of any personal connections!

I was ok either way, TBH. We're gonna be damn good. I'm excited to see what Puff, Dontrez, etc. can do next year with more minutes.
Neither are power forwards. When we face teams with real power forwards, they are going to score very easily on us. dook for instance will start a 6'11" guy at PF.

I told people he would go to Ilinois. All the PT he can handle to showcase himself to the NBA. That was NOT going to be the case at UNC.
UNC offered him Manek's role. Illinois offered to let him split time at PF with rising junior Coleman Hawkins, who is poised to be the breakout star for Illinois.

All indications are that this was about which school offered him the most NIL money. Baylor fans are saying he was recruiting other Baylor players to transfer in search of more money, which is why Baylor did not hold his scholarship open after he entered the draft. Illinois NIL collective has apparently offered him over a million dollars.

So this does not appear to be about playing time or being showcased. UNC had more playing time to offer, a more prominent offensive role, and they get far more TV time and NBA attention.

• Angry
Reactions: Old_School59
We really needed him at the stretch 4 position. As it is we don’t have experience at the 5 if Bacot has to miss a lot of time. He filled a big need. As much as I love Puff and Styles neither can fill that role. Will a freshman step up as have some in the past? Now it’s a question of time until we find out. I can wait. Still happy with who we have it just limits us until someone shows out……..

Ok, well then his loss. I will enjoy watching Illinois flame out next season even more than I normally would.

This is why I don't pay for InsideCarolina anymore. They had everyone hyped up for an impending commitment. They had just put up an article a few hours ago where they interviewed Mayer. The "insiders" were so certain this was a done deal from what I've been told.

This is why I don't pay for InsideCarolina anymore. They had everyone hyped up for an impending commitment. They had just put up an article a few hours ago where they interviewed Mayer. The "insiders" were so certain this was a done deal from what I've been told.
Meh, it's a scam. Everything informational you need to know that's available can be found for free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT