ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Mayer?

We got who we got- LETS RIDE! Quit being worried about one player! We’ve still got DOGS.
Who guards the true power forwards we face? The 6'11" PFs, the 230+ lbs PFs? The guys who will score easily in the paint against Puff and Styles? Puff has never even played a full season due to injuries and we want him to play out of position and be the primary PF for a championship team?

We absolutely have to use the open scholarship on somebody bigger than Puff. We don't want to find ourselves in a crucial game with Justin McKoy on the floor.

It was weird because the insiders on all sites were saying it was us and Texas Tech was the other competitor. But, if you looked closely lately, there was a ton of comments saying if Nance or Mayer didn't go pro that they would end up at either Illinois or UNC. Way before Mayer even released his list or came back from the draft. They would split one to Illinois and one to UNC.

I still don't think Nance comes here either, but those two were always the finalists. I think they are trying to get GG to reclassify moreso than worrying about transfers at this point. At least Love is.

Let's be satisfied with the guys we have, stay hungry and run it back.
We have proven how good we can be; stay focused and build on our chemistry.
Oh, and keep those net-cutting scissors nice and sharp.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Sounds like we still have lots of options...

New body

1. Nance​
2. Somebody else in the portal that has flown under fan radar​
3. Some good freshman decommits​
4. GG reclassifies​

No new body

5. Washington is ~100% and shakes off the rust quickly​
6. One or more of Puff/Styles/McKoy/Nickel steps up big time​
7. Shaver turns out to be better than expected​

Glancing at the Decommit list on TOS, I'm a little surprised that there isn't much activity there. I would have thought that increased portal activity might push other people out. But maybe that is still to come.

A few people have suggested that GG might reclassify. If that happens, does that reduce the likelihood that we'll still have him as a sophomore?

If so, is that a trade-off we want to make?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and Occy64
Seems like Caleb is doing some recruiting too. I saw a recent interview where GG said Caleb is trying trying to convince him to come a year early and that they will talk on the phone for 20-30 minutes somewhat regularly.
If Caleb really wants to play alongside GG, he could always come back for his senior year.

Reactions: John_Mexico
Who guards the true power forwards we face? The 6'11" PFs, the 230+ lbs PFs? The guys who will score easily in the paint against Puff and Styles? Puff has never even played a full season due to injuries and we want him to play out of position and be the primary PF for a championship team?

We absolutely have to use the open scholarship on somebody bigger than Puff. We don't want to find ourselves in a crucial game with Justin McKoy on the floor.
Just curious but how many 6 11 230 pf do you think we will face? I don’t know what world you live in but those are centers in college. Let me know. You can’t base a whole season off of one or two puke Players.

Just curious but how many 6 11 230 pf do you think we will face? I don’t know what world you live in but those are centers in college. Let me know. You can’t base a whole season off of one or two puke Players.
And what 6’11 230 do you think can keep up with a perimeter 4 man? It’s a game of mismatches on both sides not just one.

Don't be so certain. By might play 2-3 years at UNC for all that you know...
With NIL, you might be right. In the old days, that level of talent would almost never be denied OAD, but these days . . . ?

I've heard so much praise for this kid, I'd be delighted to see him sooner.

To be clear I used a comma for a reason.

The 6'11" power forwards, the 230 lbs power forwards. It was to indicate 2 different types of players. The players that are taller than Puff/Trez, and the players that are heavier than Puff/Trez. One can simply score over the smaller Puff/Trez. The other can physically push Puff/Trez under the basket rendering them useless for defense and rebounds.

You honestly want me to go through the rosters of every team on our schedule and every potential NCAA tournament team to count how many power forward are taller or heavier than Puff/Trez?

And what 6’11 230 do you think can keep up with a perimeter 4 man? It’s a game of mismatches on both sides not just one.
Really? How did you like the Manek vs McCormack match-up to end the National Championship game? It's a game of mismatches both ways right? Obviously McCormack can't keep up with Manek so we should be fine right? Or how about Braun vs Love in the 2nd half of the Championship game? Sure Braun is bigger and can easily post up Love, but it's a game of mismatches both ways right?

Do you get the point yet? Has it sunk in? When a team has a taller or stronger player who can post up for easy buckets every time down the floor, all this talk about mismatches both ways doesn't mean jack squat. The team getting the easy buckets usually wins.

We will face teams who have legitimate power forwards next year. If all we have to throw at them is small forwards like Puff and Trez, one of those teams could end our season. Which is why we need to use our open scholarship to fill that hole in our roster.

Reactions: Oak ridger
To be clear I used a comma for a reason.

The 6'11" power forwards, the 230 lbs power forwards. It was to indicate 2 different types of players. The players that are taller than Puff/Trez, and the players that are heavier than Puff/Trez. One can simply score over the smaller Puff/Trez. The other can physically push Puff/Trez under the basket rendering them useless for defense and rebounds.

You honestly want me to go through the rosters of every team on our schedule and every potential NCAA tournament team to count how many power forward are taller or heavier than Puff/Trez?
No but you made it sound like we would face a lot of those guys. 6 11 pf will be few and far between

Really? How did you like the Manek vs McCormack match-up to end the National Championship game? It's a game of mismatches both ways right? Obviously McCormack can't keep up with Manek so we should be fine right? Or how about Braun vs Love in the 2nd half of the Championship game? Sure Braun is bigger and can easily post up Love, but it's a game of mismatches both ways right?

Do you get the point yet? Has it sunk in? When a team has a taller or stronger player who can post up for easy buckets every time down the floor, all this talk about mismatches both ways doesn't mean jack squat. The team getting the easy buckets usually wins.

We will face teams who have legitimate power forwards next year. If all we have to throw at them is small forwards like Puff and Trez, one of those teams could end our season. Which is why we need to use our open scholarship to fill that hole in our roster.
Dude. McCormick wasn’t their power forward. Bacot out and he had to guard him. We have it here who can spell the five now

Ok yea you’re right.

So I guess Pete Nance is staying in?
Looks that way unless he pulls out at the last minute. He’s not showing up in any Mock Drafts that I see. Also, his social media accounts have had little to no activity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT