• Ruder

• Fortin

• Howell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Archer2

Hall of Famer
Aug 5, 2009
The Old North State
So, who will it be? I chose Ruder because of his upside.

ETA: I have added Howell's name and allowed people to change their votes. Let's see how that affects the poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: skubby12002
We have 2 IMO Ruder and Fortin...Only seen Ruder just a bit but I liked what I saw...I also like Fortin...If Surratt stays at UNC he should move to WR or even TE he has the size...I still say his arm has never recovered from the injury he suffered his Senior year in High School...The kid is 1 of the all time passers in N.C. high school history....

Fortin and Ruder both have major potential. Each could be a very good starter on a very good team, next year. For an Air Raid based offense, Fortin has an edge going into Spring. But Ruder showed enough passing skill in his game appearance that Fortin's edge can be overcome without surprising anyone.

Coach Longi will figure it. The QB will need to be smart and an accurate passer. There is a good video on YouTube about Coach Longo at Ole Miss and one while he was at Sam Houston St. Air Raid coaches Mike Leach and also Kliff Kingsberry have alot of good things to say about Coach Longo maximizing the talent he has.

Surratt didn’t injure his throwin hand/arm I don’t believe. He’s always had a slinky arm but got away with it in high school against inferior talent and also because his brother was/is a stud WR now at Wake Forest.

Hopefully Mack will be a little more forthcoming regarding injuries. Still not sure what kind of injuries the guys are recovering from.

Deems speculated that Fortin had torn his ACL. The DTH speculated that Ruder injured his non-throwing left shoulder. Surratt supposedly tore ligaments in his non-throwing right wrist.

Any updates or corrections?

Do you think Howell would be considered if he committed?
To start as a true freshman? Yes. If not, Mack and Longo are dolts like Fedora.

Howell will enroll in college in January. He will participate in Spring, giving him the opportunity to show he is ready to play from Day 1.

Will Howell be better than Fortin and Rude this Spring? Maybe, but both those guys have the IT factor. I think all 3 of those QBs can be very good starters on a good team. And all 3 cannot start at UNC, unless they all start because of injuries.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Howell better than what we got right now, don't fool around..
Coming out of HS, Jevan Snead was rated considerably higher than Colt McCoy. Snead had a nice career when he transferred to Ole Miss, but he was not as good as McCoy.

Right now, we have seen Fortin more than Ruder on the college level, and what we have seen in each is quite promising. We have yet to see Howell on a college field, obviously.

Coming out of HS, Jevan Snead was rated considerably higher than Colt McCoy. Snead had a nice career when he transferred to Ole Miss, but he was not as good as McCoy.

Right now, we have seen Fortin more than Ruder on the college level, and what we have seen in each is quite promising. We have yet to see Howell on a college field, obviously.

That's true, but we haven't seen how either Fortin or Ruder will do in Longo's offensive system which means it would be a great competition between those two and Howell if he chooses the Tar Heels because he will be an early enrollee, and will be available for the spring game....

I've seen Howell play before, and he has a strong arm, and is also a good runner with very large thighs....

Of course, he hasn't committed to UNC yet, so the point of including him is really a moot point at this time....

Hopefully Mack will be a little more forthcoming regarding injuries. Still not sure what kind of injuries the guys are recovering from.

Deems speculated that Fortin had torn his ACL. The DTH speculated that Ruder injured his non-throwing left shoulder. Surratt supposedly tore ligaments in his non-throwing right wrist.

Any updates or corrections?
Ruder broke his collarbone.

Reactions: mosesm
That's true, but we haven't seen how either Fortin or Ruder will do in Longo's offensive system which means it would be a great competition between those two and Howell if he chooses the Tar Heels because he will be an early enrollee, and will be available for the spring game....

I've seen Howell play before, and he has a strong arm, and is also a good runner with very large thighs....

Of course, he hasn't committed to UNC yet, so the point of including him is really a moot point at this time....
True. We have no idea what Howell could do. And it is possible someone other than UNC or FSU could sweep in now and land him.

What we know is that as of now we have 2 QBs who will be RS freshmen next year, each of whom saw game action this year and looked very promising.

I'm much more comfortable going into next season with Ruder and Fortin than I have been the last 2 years. I like the attitude Ruder showed during his game but both guys showed lots of promise.

With a new staff coming in, with a new offense, It kind of equalizes upper classmen and incoming freshmen so everyone wil have the same shot to win their position. Now IF we were to get this kid, early enrollment so he can be part of the spring game would be important. I feel like we have 2 excellent candidates already in the program in Fortin and Ruder who have good arms as well as now some playing experience on the college level. If a freshman can come in and win the starting job then that will be one special as heck freshman.

I don't think and I strongly hope that Surrate is no longer on our depth chart for a QB and like Elliot but he just does not have the arm to give us what we need.

At 6-3, 215 pounds he would be a WR candidate. I think his QB days at UNC are over.
Yeah, I hope he would consider that. He’s a Tar Heel and i want to see him do well, but qb is not the spot for him at UNC.

If Howell flips to Carolina, we’d have 3 potentially good QBs for years to come, providing none were to transfer.

Are you joshin’ or is this true?
True. He played defense in High School. He’s a big, athletic guy and very smart. He can easily bulk up to 240lbs.

There’s always the narrative that he is soft which is absurd. He played through all kinds of injuries his freshman year.

I’m not sure if he will be good but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was.

Reactions: Archer2
I don't think he was soft either. He took a beating 2 seasons ago and kept going back out there. LB or possibly S could be a good position for him.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
If Surratt is moving to D, I would want to see him at FS and SS. Many HS QBs over the decades have made that move and made it well. They bring to the deepest position a knowledge from the inside of how QBs operate, and that can help them read plays quickly. With the speed Surratt has, at S he could run down everything and be big enough to take down the largest WRs with no sweat.

Fortin, he beat out Ruder this year before he got hurt. Air Raid does not need a running QB so Ruder's legs is just a benefit not need in our O. Being an accurate passer fits our O and Fortin right now has the best arm on campus.

Fortin, he beat out Ruder this year before he got hurt. Air Raid does not need a running QB so Ruder's legs is just a benefit not need in our O. Being an accurate passer fits our O and Fortin right now has the best arm on campus.
Ruder has the better arm. Just needs to work on putting the ball in the right spot.

Did Ruder and Fortin both play baseball in high school? If so, I’d be interested to know who had the better fastball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT