Next Year’s Starting QB?

Who will start at QB for us in ‘19?

• Elliott

• Surratt

• Ruder

• Fortin

• Howell

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why did your favorite uncle, the qb-whispering Cutcliffe, recruit Chazz as a qb?
Surely you do not buy that Cutcliffe crap. He got lucky with Mannings and has shown little else in QB discovering, signing, and developing. Dozens of OCs and HCs could have succeeded as well as Cutcliffe did with those 2.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
It's not a shame for Sage. I was impressed with him this year. The Wake WRs are all good, but for a redshirt frosh he looked really good. I bet he is hoping to burn us next year.

Yeah, Sage had a very good season for the Demon Deacons, and is poised for a great Sophomore year....Wake has a lot of young play makers, and the Greene kid from Mount Airy who will be a freshman next year is another one that is likely to make an impact for Wake....He is somewhat like our RB Williams from Wallace Rose Hill in that he flew under the radar, being he was from a small school, but he is a very talented youngster...

Clawson is doing a very good job at Wake Forest!

Yeah, Sage had a very good season for the Demon Deacons, and is poised for a great Sophomore year....Wake has a lot of young play makers, and the Greene kid from Mount Airy who will be a freshman next year is another one that is likely to make an impact for Wake....He is somewhat like our RB Williams from Wallace Rose Hill in that he flew under the radar, being he was from a small school, but he is a very talented youngster...

Clawson is doing a very good job at Wake Forest!
Wake is rolling by Wake standards. Clawson seems a perfect fit for the program. I'd like to see him put 6 or 7 game win streaks on both Dook and Moo.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Ruder definitely seems more like a Mack Brown type QB because of his big arm and mobility. But, who knows. The starting spot is wide open going into spring ball.
Yes, it is wide open. And there will be (assuming neither Fortin nor Ruder leaves before the start of the semester) 3 guys who each have what it takes to start on a team good enough to win the Coastal.

Reactions: JacobTurner
Personally I still think its going to be Ruder. His mobility and arm strength gives him tremendous upside. And he just seems to have that fiery toughness that you want in a QB. Dude was fearless running the ball.

The Air Raid O does not need a running QB. It will be a luxury for Ruder to run but only from the pass rush or designed trick QB draws. We want our QB in one piece especially after the last 2 years.

The days of Marquise Williams are over, which ironic since he was a main type of QB at UNC under Mack until we got Keldorf.

The Air Raid O does not need a running QB. It will be a luxury for Ruder to run but only from the pass rush or designed trick QB draws. We want our QB in one piece especially after the last 2 years.
We probably won't be Leach-style air-raid though, and if Jace's feet are an awesome weapon while ALSO being a solid QB, then I would think Longo will find ways to use them, rpo or otherwise.

Kyler Murray runs more than Mayfield did (with really high ypc), so I assume this is part design rather than due to his ability to scramble though I really don't know.

Last edited:
Crawford, Strowbridge, Taylor, Gill and Lawless. They may also move Avery Jones to DT as he played both OT and DT in high school.
If the OL looks sound, with depth, then by all means try Jones at DT. You can't win big without quality DT play, which requires depth.

I would guess that Howell will be a starter at some point but you never know. I think with an Air Raid offense the most important things are a quick mind, accuracy and strong arm. The quick mind is something you never know about until you see them under center for a period of time. Put me down as a Howell vote but Fortin, Ruder would be my next guesses. Surratt is good enough athlete to play at some position and I loved the heart Elliott showed.

Surratt was NOT a defensive player in high school. He had a total of like 20 tackles over 4 years in high school. His brother was a solid defensive back but not Chaz. Kid will
Not be a linebacker for us, that’s just silly as hell honestly. I’m not saying he’s soft, but he’s not a d1 linebacker. He would
Be better suited putting on some weight and moving to tight end.

I don't doubt they've heard stuff, and are reporting what they know. They may very well try it out in spring camp. I just don't see him pulling it off.

Agreed. As I said, he’s a good enough athlete to play other positions but linebacker won’t be one of them. Tight end makes the most sense but could also see him as an inside/possession receiver. But if he does, I’d be worried about our talent level at that position at this level if we are relying on a good athlete who has never played the position at this level, Who also happens to be about too small and has also been injury prone going back to his senior year of high school.

:eek:

We reported first Surratt was moving to linebacker and took a lot of flack from many of our subscribers. It was actually going to happen even before Mack was hired. Then it was fully settled. It's only one game, but I'd say it was a good move.
He's certainly got the speed and instincts. With more experience, he could become something special.

We reported first Surratt was moving to linebacker and took a lot of flack from many of our subscribers. It was actually going to happen even before Mack was hired. Then it was fully settled. It's only one game, but I'd say it was a good move.
Have you tried to interview him about the move? Perhaps during the Bye between the 2 Techs he would be free to talk about it.

Have you tried to interview him about the move? Perhaps during the Bye between the 2 Techs he would be free to talk about it.

I've talked to him a couple of times about it as have some other media. There's only so much Chazz is going to say in public, but he has definitely been fueled by last year's experience. The move has been pretty smooth, espeically once he started reacting to stuff quicker this past month. He loves playing linebacker and I think really wants to prove all of the naysayers wrong.

i imagine Chazz would say something like this: "playing QB is pure pressure; playing LB is pure fun."

i can see how it would be a touchy subject for chazz. any discussion about the move to LB probably brings up thoughts about the failed QB experience. if you can find some unique way to bring it up without bringing the QB experience into play it would be OK, otherwise i would just let it go. i haven't gone back to look at the old posts but i mostly remember people thinking a move to safety, TE or WR would be more likely but not a lot of people saying he would be a pure bust at LB. to me it says as much about our recent LB recruiting/development as it does about chazz. it's definitely a position of need and if chazz can fill that need best then i say great for chazz and great for the team.

i imagine Chazz would say something like this: "playing QB is pure pressure; playing LB is pure fun."

But he loved the pressure of playing QB and at times his freshman season was pretty good. Rough situation that derailed in many areas a year ago. He's happy now and both Mack and Bateman think he could play LB at the next level. Dude is a terrific athlete.

I've talked to him a couple of times about it as have some other media. There's only so much Chazz is going to say in public, but he has definitely been fueled by last year's experience. The move has been pretty smooth, espeically once he started reacting to stuff quicker this past month. He loves playing linebacker and I think really wants to prove all of the naysayers wrong.
Naysayers about him as a QB? I don't recall anybody asserting that he could not be a sound LB, though I don't recall anyone suggesting it either.

A large number of top level safeties in the old days played QB in HS, and more than a few played QB at least at the start of college. In the NFL, where players are bigger, he might be asked to play S. He has the speed.

Naysayers about him as a QB? I don't recall anybody asserting that he could not be a sound LB, though I don't recall anyone suggesting it either.

A large number of top level safeties in the old days played QB in HS, and more than a few played QB at least at the start of college. In the NFL, where players are bigger, he might be asked to play S. He has the speed.

We got a lot of flack from some on this site and outside of THI for even suggesting he was moving to LB. He heard a lot of stuff, too. But I also think the criticism about QB and him not being tough has fueled him, as well.

Trust me, there were a lot of people that thought it was a bad joke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT