Next Year’s Starting QB?

Who will start at QB for us in ‘19?

• Elliott

• Surratt

• Ruder

• Fortin

• Howell

Results are only viewable after voting.
Surratt was NOT a defensive player in high school. He had a total of like 20 tackles over 4 years in high school. His brother was a solid defensive back but not Chaz. Kid will
Not be a linebacker for us, that’s just silly as hell honestly. I’m not saying he’s soft, but he’s not a d1 linebacker. He would
Be better suited putting on some weight and moving to tight end.

Reactions: mosesm
Surratt was NOT a defensive player in high school. He had a total of like 20 tackles over 4 years in high school. His brother was a solid defensive back but not Chaz. Kid will
Not be a linebacker for us, that’s just silly as hell honestly. I’m not saying he’s soft, but he’s not a d1 linebacker. He would
Be better suited putting on some weight and moving to tight end.
Tell that to Mack Brown

Tell that to Mack Brown

I was simply pointing out that he was not a defensive player in high school as you claimed, not even close. Again, he’s more than capable athletically of playing many positions but college linebacker isn’t the easiest thing to just pick up. I’d be very worried if we are relying on Surratt at linebacker. But then again I don’t believe he will play linebacker.

I was simply pointing out that he was not a defensive player in high school as you claimed, not even close. Again, he’s more than capable athletically of playing many positions but college linebacker isn’t the easiest thing to just pick up. I’d be very worried if we are relying on Surratt at linebacker. But then again I don’t believe he will play linebacker.
That was reported by Deana King when it first came up he was making the switch.

Not knocking you, but fairly confident it ain’t happening. Deana is great at what she does, but reporting on position changes this early is pie in the sky silly talk.

And to be quite literal, Mack has been on the job for 2 weeks and spent almost all
His time filling out his staff and contacting committed players, meanwhile existing players were preparing for exams. I seriously doubt he’s already met with Surratt and said hey buddy you are going to play linebacker despite not having the size and never playing it before. Stick with the narrative though.....

I'm like 99.9% confident that he will never play a single snap at LB.

Not knocking you, but fairly confident it ain’t happening. Deana is great at what she does, but reporting on position changes this early is pie in the sky silly talk.

And to be quite literal, Mack has been on the job for 2 weeks and spent almost all
His time filling out his staff and contacting committed players, meanwhile existing players were preparing for exams. I seriously doubt he’s already met with Surratt and said hey buddy you are going to play linebacker despite not having the size and never playing it before. Stick with the narrative though.....
I'm like 99.9% confident that he will never play a single snap at LB.
@andrew jones can you share what you’ve heard here?

Agreed. As I said, he’s a good enough athlete to play other positions but linebacker won’t be one of them. Tight end makes the most sense but could also see him as an inside/possession receiver. But if he does, I’d be worried about our talent level at that position at this level if we are relying on a good athlete who has never played the position at this level, Who also happens to be about too small and has also been injury prone going back to his senior year of high school.

I don't doubt they've heard stuff, and are reporting what they know. They may very well try it out in spring camp. I just don't see him pulling it off.

Deana has taken a liking to the Surratt boys going back to high school. I don’t doubt she’s heard things, I simply doubt she’s heard anything from the people who actually make those decisions. 2 very different things.

@andrew jones can you share what you’ve heard here?

I stand by what we've reported. We have excellent sources on this. If things change, that happens. But as of now, he has switched positions. And it's not always going to be the HC who comes up with the idea. He has retained quite a few people from the previous staff who know plenty about Chazz, one of whom who thought he'd be a really good strong safety or LB back in July (first time I heard about it), so if a good CEO trusts those guys and doesn't want to lose a player from the program, you make the switch.

It happens plenty when there are coaching changes. I've seen it happen at every program I've covered.

Deana has taken a liking to the Surratt boys going back to high school. I don’t doubt she’s heard things, I simply doubt she’s heard anything from the people who actually make those decisions. 2 very different things.

But we both have heard it from the kinds of sources your thinking about. I wouldn't report it if I didn't have it fully confirmed. I've never done that before and won't ever do it.

Believe what you want, but this has happened.

It may not work out and more changes could come, but as of a couple of weeks ago this process began.

I don’t think anybody is questioning that he will change positions if he wants to stay at UNC and have a chance to play. I am questioning how viable he would be at linebacker and if so, it has me concerned about that talent level we have/are recruiting at that position for him to even be a fit.
I guess I’m confused specific to the reporting that ticketride alluded to because there’s talk of position change specific to linebacker, and now safety is mentioned by you and then general comments about a position change. Just curious as to what exactly is being reported by you guys. Is it linebacker? Is it
Safety? Or is it he’s just changing positions?

Agreed. As I said, he’s a good enough athlete to play other positions but linebacker won’t be one of them. Tight end makes the most sense but could also see him as an inside/possession receiver. But if he does, I’d be worried about our talent level at that position at this level if we are relying on a good athlete who has never played the position at this level, Who also happens to be about too small and has also been injury prone going back to his senior year of high school.
I don’t think anybody is questioning that he will change positions if he wants to stay at UNC and have a chance to play. I am questioning how viable he would be at linebacker and if so, it has me concerned about that talent level we have/are recruiting at that position for him to even be a fit.
I guess I’m confused specific to the reporting that ticketride alluded to because there’s talk of position change specific to linebacker, and now safety is mentioned by you and then general comments about a position change. Just curious as to what exactly is being reported by you guys. Is it linebacker? Is it
Safety? Or is it he’s just changing positions?
You’d have a better sense if you joined premium. It’s worth it

Fair enough. I used to have it and then got rid of it years ago as I simply didn’t find me getting use out of it.

Regardless, it doesn’t change my stance that Chaz won’t be a player at linebacker for
Us. Undersized, no experience and injury prone. Even safety would be a stretch. I’d even argue that safety would be a harder adjustment although his body type would be better suited for
That spot. Will be interesting to see who’s at QB for us next fall.

Fair enough. I used to have it and then got rid of it years ago as I simply didn’t find me getting use out of it.

Regardless, it doesn’t change my stance that Chaz won’t be a player at linebacker for
Us.
AJ has really improved the board. Tons of content.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think CS can’t be a good LBer?

AJ has really improved the board. Tons of content.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think CS can’t be a good LBer?

Undersized, injury prone, and simply not a physical player by nature. Great athlete but not physical and that goes back to high school days. You’ve got to be a dog to play linebacket at this level. There were many bigger programs who
Showed interest in high school Surratt as an athlete/receiver, but not a QB. We were best program option willing to let him get a fair chance at QB. Looks like he may end up where he prob
Should have been from the jump and that’s as an athlete/Slot WR/TE on the offensive side of the ball.

Undersized, injury prone, and simply not a physical player by nature. Great athlete but not physical and that goes back to high school days. You’ve got to be a dog to play linebacket at this level. There were many bigger programs who
Showed interest in high school Surratt as an athlete/receiver, but not a QB. We were best program option willing to let him get a fair chance at QB. Looks like he may end up where he prob
Should have been from the jump and that’s as an athlete/Slot WR/TE on the offensive side of the ball.
Agree to disagree

Reactions: heelfan1961
Kid can be a great WR or TE...Speaking on Chaz...Also it was his throwing arm he hurt in high school from what I know...Tore his elbow up and has never been the same...

undersized for LB but not SS or FS, wouldn't say he was injury prone although he did go out both seasons with an injury, seemed physical for a QB but that's different than physical on D. Agree I don't see him as a LB but SS or FS, yes.

Reactions: DSouthr
Surratt could be a Hback or WR. I bet he gets a shot at QB in spring practice especially if we do not get a QB this coming class. If Longo likes Surratt at QB and teaches him how to read the D....look out.

Surratt could be a Hback or WR. I bet he gets a shot at QB in spring practice especially if we do not get a QB this coming class. If Longo likes Surratt at QB and teaches him how to read the D....look out.
Zero chance he plays QB. He'll be third on the depth chart at best. Ruder and Fortin will be battling it out for QB1.

Reactions: mosesm
Zero chance he plays QB. He'll be third on the depth chart at best. Ruder and Fortin will be battling it out for QB1.

I would let Longo make that decision. Nothing wrong with Surratt auditioning for Longo in the spring then being moved to WR or safety later if he fails or he transfers to play QB elsewhere.

I would let Longo make that decision. Nothing wrong with Surratt auditioning for Longo in the spring then being moved to WR or safety later if he fails or he transfers to play QB elsewhere.
I agree with that. People seem to dismiss Chazz as a QB.

I think Ruder and probably Fortin, have more potential. But Chazz posted better numbers than either

we need to go into the season with a clear number 1 and 2 QB and not trying out 3 or 4 QBs through the first few games to see who sticks. the number 1 and 2 will get almost all the practice time so they will be ready for game 1. i expect the new coaching staff will have us prepared for the season opener. winning that game would be a huge boost for the program

I'm not taking that decision away from him. I'm just saying that I seriously doubt he ever plays QB at UNC again. Surratt looked like a deer in the headlights most of the time. Ruder and Fortin both have a much higher ceiling and both just have that "it" factor.

Reactions: Archer2
I’ll be amazed if he ever plays LB for us. DB or WR? Sure. LB? That’s a whole different mentality.

We shall see. I don’t expect to see him at QB again. Ruder, Fortin, or possibly Howell is our QB going forward.

According to Andrew, he’s already been moved to linebacker already in Mack’s 2
Short weeks on the job......yet some of those who mentioned the same move to LB above now say he’s going to get a shot at QB in the spring.......which is it?

Last edited:
I remember reading he had changed positions a week or two ago, don't remember reading what position he had changed to. If he's going to have any chance at being successful at a new position he probably needs to completely focus on the new position. And hopefully for the team's success we don't seriously have to look at him as a possible starting QB.

I stand by what we've reported. We have excellent sources on this. If things change, that happens. But as of now, he has switched positions. And it's not always going to be the HC who comes up with the idea. He has retained quite a few people from the previous staff who know plenty about Chazz, one of whom who thought he'd be a really good strong safety or LB back in July (first time I heard about it), so if a good CEO trusts those guys and doesn't want to lose a player from the program, you make the switch.

It happens plenty when there are coaching changes. I've seen it happen at every program I've covered.
As I've said before, if Surratt is switching to D, I would want to see him at safety.

Reactions: franklin street
I'm not taking that decision away from him. I'm just saying that I seriously doubt he ever plays QB at UNC again. Surratt looked like a deer in the headlights most of the time. Ruder and Fortin both have a much higher ceiling and both just have that "it" factor.

Surratt also had Kap learning at OC his first season then coming back late at Miami with their motivated D. He made mistakes but he also got put in bad situations. He was running for his life last year.

A better OC making the D play on the heels makes a big difference than what Kap did last year with Surratt. Plus Kap's OL did not block well last year early on.

Fortin and Ruder are better than anyone on the wolpfack team next year...so we are very lucky. FYI...i picked Fortin in the poll to start.

Depends on how much weight he can add to his frame and how much strength he can add. Bruce cater was a QB before moving to LB I believe but carter nay have started with a bigger frame. IN any event, I don't see him as a QB unless it is a 5 star emergency and hope that is not the case.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Surratt also had Kap learning at OC his first season then coming back late at Miami with their motivated D. He made mistakes but he also got put in bad situations. He was running for his life last year.

A better OC making the D play on the heels makes a big difference than what Kap did last year with Surratt. Plus Kap's OL did not block well last year early on.

Fortin and Ruder are better than anyone on the wolpfack team next year...so we are very lucky. FYI...i picked Fortin in the poll to start.
Kap as OC did what Fedora wanted, from naming starters to game planning to play calling, to using reserves.

Fedora chose Surratt because his dream was to have a QB run 20 times per game. He wanted someone more like Pat White than Marques Williams, more speed than between the tackles power. Surratt fit the bill perfectly. Fedora and Kap would have started Surratt over Trevor Lawrence.

Those are Surratt's QB skills. If he is not running often, his running threat making it possible for him to pass with even minimal success (due to a combination of inability to read pass defenses and throw with accuracy and touch), Surrat's limitations at QB are too obvious to keep him at the position unless you have no one else at all.

Those same excellent running based athletic skills could be the foundation of his becoming a very good, even great, WR or SS/FS or LB.

It's a shame that his brother is poised to have a better College career than Chaz has had at Carolina....

Sad to see a great athelete's potential not realized, due to injuries....

Ruder starts next year.
Mack will have to run a little bit more next year than we will see in 2020. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Ruder and Fortin getting lots of playing time.

Fedora chose Surratt because his dream was to have a QB run 20 times per game. He wanted someone more like Pat White than Marques Williams, more speed than between the tackles power. Surratt fit the bill perfectly. Fedora and Kap would have started Surratt over Trevor Lawrence.

Why did your favorite uncle, the qb-whispering Cutcliffe, recruit Chazz as a qb?

these are highlights from Chazz v Cal. He's fast. An extra 15 pounds would probably slow him down laterally though. Like Rashad talking about how much 10 pounds slowed him down laterally when he transitioned back from DE to LB.

I'd say he's more brittle than soft. While he seems injury prone, he wasn't shying away from contact, instead he is always spinning, stiff-arming or putting down a shoulder for extra yards. IMO his ability to contribute will hinge on his defensive instincts - the things that aren't taught, like angles and intuitively knowing where the action is going. We certainly need grit and toughness, but first we just need guys who can get to the ball-carrier in a timely fashion.

I guess that bum wrist will slow-down his weight training...

Our LB depth chart has been frustrating since Zach Brown left. But it sounds like this might be the first yr in awhile that we haven't started a walk-on there.

Who will be bigger by fall. Chazz who is listed 6'3 215 or LB Dominique Ross who is listed 6'3 220? Both are entering their 4th yr.

Hoping DR has a big season next year. First game or two I thought he was going to break out but then he kind of disappeared Also have high hopes that Flint is ready to contribute, appeared to have good instincts on his tapes.

It's a shame that his brother is poised to have a better College career than Chaz has had at Carolina....

Sad to see a great athelete's potential not realized, due to injuries....
It's not a shame for Sage. I was impressed with him this year. The Wake WRs are all good, but for a redshirt frosh he looked really good. I bet he is hoping to burn us next year.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT