ADVERTISEMENT

NFL 2021-22

You seem to be confusing the reaction to the one email sent ten yrs ago and released a couple days ago to the new ones released yesterday sent to various people that span 8 yrs ending in 2018. But like I said I agree with your take on nfl hypocrisy

So he sent dozens of PRIVATE emails. Or I should say, emails that were meant to be viewed by just the recipients of those emails. In other words, no one was offended by those emails until the NY Times exposed them and told people they need to be offended.

But I have a suspicion that the NFL and/or the Raiders gave him money to walk. If not, I think Gruden could have been a real thorn in the side of the NFL if he had chosen to fight any kind of firing. No one just walks away from $60 million unless they've been given a consolation prize.

But it's a good thing the NFL doesn't take a hard line on criminal activity like they do offensive words. I mean, it would be unfair to hold repeated offender Tyreke Hill accountable for his transgressions like child abuse and domestic violence. He's black, you know.

So he sent dozens of PRIVATE emails. Or I should say, emails that were meant to be viewed by just the recipients of those emails. In other words, no one was offended by those emails until the NY Times exposed them and told people they need to be offended.

But I have a suspicion that the NFL and/or the Raiders gave him money to walk. If not, I think Gruden could have been a real thorn in the side of the NFL if he had chosen to fight any kind of firing. No one just walks away from $60 million unless they've been given a consolation prize.

But it's a good thing the NFL doesn't take a hard line on criminal activity like they do offensive words. I mean, it would be unfair to hold repeated offender Tyreke Hill accountable for his transgressions like child abuse and domestic violence. He's black, you know.
That’s one way to look at it. Another might be he resigned to avoid any further emails being released. No one walks away from 60 million unless he’s trying to minimize damage to his reputation. One email sent a decade ago means nothing to me. Dozens over an 8 yr period (at least) tell me you’ve got serious character issues. As for players they have a union that’s negotiated how their disciplinary issues are handled. Yea it’s hypocrisy to hold the coaches to a different standard but they knew that when they signed on. Life hack: don’t send emails that depict you as a racist misogynistic homophobe. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
That’s one way to look at it. Another might be he resigned to avoid any further emails being released. No one walks away from 60 million unless he’s trying to minimize damage to his reputation. One email sent a decade ago means nothing to me. Dozens over an 8 yr period (at least) tell me you’ve got serious character issues. As for players they have a union that’s negotiated how their disciplinary issues are handled. Yea it’s hypocrisy to hold the coaches to a different standard but they knew that when they signed on. Life hack: don’t send emails that depict you as a racist misogynistic homophobe. Lol.
I guess it's possible there are character issues, but if that's true then every poster here has major issues. The shit we post, and on a public board, is certainly worse.

I'm just tired of this be offended at everything culture that we have. Digging up old shit from tweets or emails or whatever the **** you choose is stupid and just trying to be offended. The person who goes around looking for something to be offended about is the person with the character issue.

I guess it's possible there are character issues, but if that's true then every poster here has major issues. The shit we post, and on a public board, is certainly worse.

I'm just tired of this be offended at everything culture that we have. Digging up old shit from tweets or emails or whatever the **** you choose is stupid and just trying to be offended. The person who goes around looking for something to be offended about is the person with the character issue.
Gruden must have pissed someone off big-time, is all I can figure!

I'm just clinging to the hope that Snyder will be forced to sell his team, somehow.

And, it burns, burns, burns...

FBh90u4XsAcdE3c

i listened to a former scout and current good friend of gruden(since the packer days) today and he wasn’t shocked by some on the content, but other parts he was…basically saying, gruden loved working mike tirico, but maybe other situations bothered him…i interpreted that as “depends on the person”…after all, he had an openly gay player starting for him right now.

the scout believed the raiders were told about this friday…the league asked the raiders to fire him, they didn’t because they thought they could get through the de smith issue, so he coached this past sunday…then the nfl slowly released the other disturbing emails from the past eight or so years.

nobody is talking about the washington football team, the bruce allen connection and gruden…remember when the fbi collected info from the wft this year?

it’s my understanding, this came to light because of the fbi investigation into snyder and the org…this is just the beginning.

Reactions: heelmanwilm

Frankly, so what if he has character flaws? Doesn’t everyone? His players are on record saying he was always fair with them and that they never felt he was racist, although I’m sure that changes now as several will jump at the chance to be relevant and get their 15 minutes.

I mean, what he said is certainly inappropriate for public consumption. But pretty much everyone on earth has had conversations not fit for broadcasting. That’s why they don’t broadcast it. This isn’t someone going on Twitter. These were emails sent to a private group. No one knew about them and there was no point in exposing them other than to get people offended.

Frankly, so what if he has character flaws? Doesn’t everyone? His players are on record saying he was always fair with them and that they never felt he was racist, although I’m sure that changes now as several will jump at the chance to be relevant and get their 15 minutes.

I mean, what he said is certainly inappropriate for public consumption. But pretty much everyone on earth has had conversations not fit for broadcasting. That’s why they don’t broadcast it. This isn’t someone going on Twitter. These were emails sent to a private group. No one knew about them and there was no point in exposing them other than to get people offended.
I was just pointing out the diff between one email a decade ago and dozens over 8 yrs. I agree with your take. After all I just watched the new chapelle show on Netflix. Lol. How many people who think he’s funny making fun of Jews, Christians and transgenders are the same being offended by grudens emails?

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I'm taking the silence on Gruden to mean that everybody finds the NFL's hypocrisy and fake outrage laughable and just not worthy of comment? I guess everyone agrees that it's embarrassing that the NFL allows Richard Sherman to play while domestic abuse charges are hanging over him from a violent incident just a few weeks ago yet Gruden gets canceled because of offensive remarks he made in private over a decade ago. Good. Glad we all agree here.
Great point. And Richard Sherman is just one high profile name as an example. Was it DeShaun Watson who had like 25+ abuse charges against him, by several different women...and still wasn't cut originally?

And i don't care to watch - but is Randy Moss one of the weepers there? Seriously? Plenty of abuse skeletons in his closet.

There are cases of assault or violence or abuse on women and / or children or other people in society by some players on almost every NBA, NFL, MLB team.

The lurch to get woke and social justicey by all these team and league execs are so hypocritical...punishing thought and language, while accepting and allowing real physical abuse - as long as that abusive person still makes the cash register ring.

Great point. And Richard Sherman is just one high profile name as an example. Was it DeShaun Watson who had like 25+ abuse charges against him, by several different women...and still wasn't cut originally?

And i don't care to watch - but is Randy Moss one of the weepers there? Seriously? Plenty of abuse skeletons in his closet.

There are cases of assault or violence or abuse on women and / or children or other people in society by some players on almost every NBA, NFL, MLB team.

The lurch to get woke and social justicey by all these team and league execs are so hypocritical...punishing thought and language, while accepting and allowing real physical abuse - as long as that abusive person still makes the cash register ring.
Well, it’s not just who can make money for them. They also factor in the offender’s race/ethnicity/sexual preference/sexual identity/etc. Let me be clear, if Gruden was black and simply made misogynistic and homophobic comments in the email, the NFL would be bending over backwards to find a way to keep him employed. They don’t want to have their scrutinized number of black head coaches go down. That’s much worse than employing and paying millions of dollars to criminals and then looking the other way when they engage in criminal behavior.

Well, it’s not just who can make money for them. They also factor in the offender’s race/ethnicity/sexual preference/sexual identity/etc. Let me be clear, if Gruden was black and simply made misogynistic and homophobic comments in the email, the NFL would be bending over backwards to find a way to keep him employed. They don’t want to have their scrutinized number of black head coaches go down. That’s much worse than employing and paying millions of dollars to criminals and then looking the other way when they engage in criminal behavior.
No doubt!

You hear some race hustlers in media constantly complaining that the % of minority coaches doesn't match the % of minority players in a league.

How much sense does that make? About as much sense as saying the % of white NBA players should match the % of white persons in America.

i listened to a former scout and current good friend of gruden(since the packer days) today and he wasn’t shocked by some on the content, but other parts he was…basically saying, gruden loved working mike tirico, but maybe other situations bothered him…i interpreted that as “depends on the person”…after all, he had an openly gay player starting for him right now.
I'm assuming that it's not the deep seeded hatred engrained in his bones that some are making it out to be. He wanted to insult people, and thus used easy targets as his topic of insult.

If Demaurice Smith had been a fat white guy - he would have just insulted him by calling him a lard ass. If Goodell was 5 feet tall, he would have called him a midget. In today's world, it's ok to insult people on descriptors such as weight and height (although even the former is starting to become taboo), but not on the descriptors that Gruden chose in these instances.

Writing that in an email was moronic. He should be fired for stupidity.

I'm assuming that it's not the deep seeded hatred engrained in his bones that some are making it out to be. He wanted to insult people, and thus used easy targets as his topic of insult.

If Demaurice Smith had been a fat white guy - he would have just insulted him by calling him a lard ass. If Goodell was 5 feet tall, he would have called him a midget. In today's world, it's ok to insult people on descriptors such as weight and height (although even the former is starting to become taboo), but not on the descriptors that Gruden chose in these instances.

Writing that in an email was moronic. He should be fired for stupidity.

Someone please explain to me why it’s relatively ok to call someone a “piece of shit” but it’s not ok to call them a “fag”. I need to read some rationale around this. Gruden absolutely is still coaching if in the emails he had called the dude a “dick”, “c*nt” or “asshole”. The NFL would not have put out any statement saying “these words go against the mission of the NFL and everything we stand for”. Why is that? Someone? Anyone?

Last edited:
Someone please explain to me why it’s relatively ok to call someone a “piece of shit” but it’s not ok to call them a “fag”. I need to read some rationale around this. Gruden absolutely is still coaching if in the emails he had called the dude a “dick”, “c*nt” or “asshole”. The NFL would not have put out any statement saying “these words go against the mission of the NFL and everything we stand for”. Why is that? Someone? Anyone?

No takers? I get it. It’s damn near impossible to rationalize it but I thought there might be a few here who would give it a try. Oh well….

No takers? I get it. It’s damn near impossible to rationalize it but I thought there might be a few here who would give it a try. Oh well….
Do you need this explained to you?

It's 2021, there are things that the general public and advertisers (i.e. the people who pay money for the NFL to exist) will allow and not allow. Anything homophobic or racial is not ok with them. I'm sure this doesn't surprise you.

So why are you surprised that certain words/phrases that he used that fit the "not ok" portion of most large advertisers were a problem?

It's 2021, there are things that the general public and advertisers (i.e. the people who pay money for the NFL to exist) will allow and not allow. Anything homophobic or racial is not ok with them. I'm sure this doesn't surprise you.

So why are you surprised that certain words/phrases that he used that fit the "not ok" portion of most large advertisers were a problem?
No country for Old Men

You're telling me what I already know. I need someone to explain to me why calling someone a racist slur is worse than calling them say, a "pu$$y". Is being called a "pu$$y" not offensive?

succinct as possible -
I just think we have a major problem in our society, when people lose their sht over language written or spoken, even supposedly in private.....

while those same people look the other way, or even cover for, allow, explain away, or ignore rampant physical abuse by their employees (players) - against women, children, others in society.

Example pointed out recently:
Gruden's name is coming down from ring of honor for what he has said.
Warren Sapp's is not, despite his pleading guilty to multiple counts to physical abuse and violence against his wife.
as @gunslingerdick has stated in the past, not hard to see the demographics that drive this double standard.

Gruden pissed somebody off, or they made some kind of deal with Snyder and his sleazy operation.

Ask big corporations who control ad dollars...that's the only reason the NFL cares.

I’m not interested in why corps do it. I know they’re ruled by the dollar. I’m asking, for example, why a gay man gets more pissed at being called a “fag”, than he would being called an “asshole”. Or why a black man gets more offended being called the N word (don’t dare want to actually write it) than they do being called a “pu$$y”. Now, you may or may not be a gay man or a black man but even if you aren’t either, I want your opinion as to why one is more offensive than the other. TIA.

I’m not interested in why corps do it. I know they’re ruled by the dollar. I’m asking, for example, why a gay man gets more pissed at being called a “fag”, than he would being called an “asshole”. Or why a black man gets more offended being called the N word (don’t dare want to actually write it) than they do being called a “pu$$y”. Now, you may or may not be a gay man or a black man but even if you aren’t either, I want your opinion as to why one is more offensive than the other. TIA.
Being not black or gay, I don't know. Maybe it's more personal? Maybe it's hating on them for something they are rather than for something they have done to you?

All I know is not using those words hasn't at all impacted my life negatively so I choose not to use them knowing that it does impact others negatively.

Reactions: gteeitup

Because it comes from the school of thought in a lot of super far left circles. 'Intersectionality'. It's too convoluted to get into but basically it boils down to the 'privilege' argument- white men have no barriers or any broad, societal discrimination against them and often created it against other people, black people being a prime example.

Now the problem with that line of thinking is that it does the opposite of what it intends. Instead of discouraging thinking along racial lines, it encourages people to see every situation through the context of race, or other times sexuality, or other times gender. And often times, it focuses far too much on 'language' than intent or actual, real life solutions. At its worst, it creates resentment.

So in other words, everything now is on a hierarchy in terms of who gets cancelled or rather who's the most oppressed historically and contemporarily speaking. It's pretty asinine.

I didn't think a lot of what Gruden said, especially about Goodell was all that awful. Goodell sucks. I did take issue with his complaint about drafting 'queers' which is pretty blatantly homophobic.

But I do agree that there is a double standard and that certain people are judged unequally depending on the circumstance because of this shit.

Because it comes from the school of thought in a lot of super far left circles. 'Intersectionality'. It's too convoluted to get into but basically it boils down to the 'privilege' argument- white men have no barriers or any broad, societal discrimination against them and often created it against other people, black people being a prime example.

Now the problem with that line of thinking is that it does the opposite of what it intends. Instead of discouraging thinking along racial lines, it encourages people to see every situation through the context of race, or other times sexuality, or other times gender. And often times, it focuses far too much on 'language' than intent or actual, real life solutions. At its worst, it creates resentment.

So in other words, everything now is on a hierarchy in terms of who gets cancelled or rather who's the most oppressed historically and contemporarily speaking. It's pretty asinine.

I didn't think a lot of what Gruden said, especially about Goodell was all that awful. Goodell sucks. I did take issue with his complaint about drafting 'queers' which is pretty blatantly homophobic.

But I do agree that there is a double standard and that certain people are judged unequally depending on the circumstance because of this shit.
pretty much

and this is not over.

My take is, who cares what he writes in a private email? Who cares if he attends clan meetings? Who cares if he secretly hates anyone of color? If he treats everyone decent, and it doesn't show in his character, who cares? As far as I know, none of that is criminal activity. If obviously stayed behind closed doors for years. To this date, Noone he coached has said anything to anyone that he was natured that way. Woke/cancel is killing this country. It should bare more in his actions rather than private emails.
And I back what others have said about the NFL as a whole and what they o erlook and excuse to follow a dollar. It would be hilarious if this caused more fans to quit watching.

My take is, who cares what he writes in a private email? Who cares if he attends clan meetings? Who cares if he secretly hates anyone of color? If he treats everyone decent, and it doesn't show in his character, who cares? As far as I know, none of that is criminal activity. If obviously stayed behind closed doors for years. To this date, Noone he coached has said anything to anyone that he was natured that way. Woke/cancel is killing this country. It should bare more in his actions rather than private emails.
And I back what others have said about the NFL as a whole and what they o erlook and excuse to follow a dollar. It would be hilarious if this caused more fans to quit watching.
The nfl target demographic is 18-44 year old males. That group leans democractic 47-42 %. Decide for yourself what that means regarding how they wanna treat racial issues. Follow the $.

The nfl target demographic is 18-44 year old males. That group leans democractic 47-42 %. Decide for yourself what that means regarding how they wanna treat racial issues. Follow the $.
I don't think anyone is questioning the consequences and why the NFL did it. The question is why does anyone give a shit what his private emails say. Especially considering he seems to be a decent person in public. I know that's not really a question you can answer. It was probably a rule established by that idiot who said hamburgers aren't breakfast food.

I don't think anyone is questioning the consequences and why the NFL did it. The question is why does anyone give a shit what his private emails say. Especially considering he seems to be a decent person in public. I know that's not really a question you can answer. It was probably a rule established by that idiot who said hamburgers aren't breakfast food.
It’s fuking genius to just add egg to any dish and proclaim it “brunch”.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT