ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina vs South Carolina

I wasn't around when it happened and I don't care enough to research it, but it sounds like the cocks were stupid to leave the ACC and then got lucky to get into the SEC.

I don't ever care to see them come back.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
South Carolina when they left the ACC wandered around as an independent for year. Their top rival other than Clemson was East Carolina.......let that sink in.
LOL, where are you getting this?

South Carolina was a football independent for 21 years. They played ECU 9 times during that span. They went 8-1 and the average margin of victory was 34-13 (three touchdowns). ECU only had 2 winning seasons during that stretch. ECU was terrible and certainly was not their “top rival.”

During that same period, they played Virginia 7 times, UNC 10 times, Wake Forest 13 times, dook 16 times, and NC State all 21 years.

Last edited:
Hey ladies and gents,

Classless Gamecock fan here. Hoping for a fun game in Charlotte with no injuries! Impressed with y’alls recruiting. I don’t think our season hinges on this game, but we definitely need a win for the 2021 recruiting class because in-state talent is very down for that class. If y’all are traveling to the game, be safe, and never forget how much y’all loved us when we beat the hell out of Duke in hoops!

I agree about having an injury free game. For us, a win would be big for recruiting as well, and a nice way to kick off Mack’s second stint as UNC’s coach. We have questions galore about our team, but we have decent talent and the renewed enthusiasm that a new staff brings.

Most oddsmakers have UNC as a 7 point dog so we’ll see. We’re struggling with TO’s right now, somewhat understandable when you’re starting a freshman QB(all 3 candidates are freshmen). I think winning the TO battle will be crucial to our chances of winning the game. Of course, that’s true of most football games.

I agree about having an injury free game. For us, a win would be big for recruiting as well, and a nice way to kick off Mack’s second stint as UNC’s coach. We have questions galore about our team, but we have decent talent and the renewed enthusiasm that a new staff brings.

Most oddsmakers have UNC as a 7 point dog so we’ll see. We’re struggling with TO’s right now, somewhat understandable when you’re starting a freshman QB(all 3 candidates are freshmen). I think winning the TO battle will be crucial to our chances of winning the game. Of course, that’s true of most football games.

7 pt underdog seems about right honestly. We return a veteran bunch on both sides of the ball. Jake Bentley is an enigma-we simply don’t know which Bentley will show up. Just to clear some things up for some folks regarding the Gamecock football team:

1) Our biggest question mark on offense is at RB. We haven’t had a RB that has been able to stay healthy or break tackles. We lost Williams and Turner has moved to DB. That leaves us with Dowdle and Denson as the experienced backs and of course Feaster.

2) A lot of fans (opposing and our own) will point at the UVA as a reason why the Gamecocks aren’t very good. Our roster has been completely decimated by injuries by that time. It’s not a good game for anyone to look at and say “this is the team that we are playing.”

3) If there is a weakness on defense, it is at LB and DB for different reasons. Our LBs were bad last year and we had no depth. The question will be is the experience from last season going to help that position get better. Also, can they stop the run? At DB, there is a TON of talent on paper. We have Jaycee Horn who was an All-SEC freshman at CB and on the other side Israel Mukuamu who is 6’5. Bryan Edwards and Bentley said those two guys are nightmares to have to go against in practice. Jamyest Williams and JT Ibe are healthy which will provide valuable experience. The depth is questionable with the youth however. An injury or 2 could cost us some games.

I’m excited about football, and I’m one of the rare Gamecock fans that is more excited about basketball every year (which is typically brutal). I think this game will be closer than most think. Hope y’all have a fantastic day!

...I think this game will be closer than most think. Hope y’all have a fantastic day!
your post was interesting and respectful toward your opponent. a few thousand more like you and i might modify my opinion of scar fans. ;)

Yeah their season could really hinge on our game with them.

There will be no bigger UNC fan on 31 Aug 2019 than me. I know that the odds are against you, especially in this transition year with a new coach, but many on the Coot site (FGF) feel it will not be a good game unless they beat you guys by 3 or 4 TDs. There were a lot of reflecting in the mirror Gamecoot fans after Virginia drug them up and down the field. I hope the are able to view their hopelessness again in the mirror after the UNC game.

Again, the UNC game is a game they believe they should win, and win fairly big. It is also a MUST win. Should the Tarheels steal their candy they will be reeling through much of the rest of their season. Maybe the horrible loss to Virginia will then be in the past, as well as the moral victory 21 point loss to Clemson, as they will have new issues to worry about.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
There will be no bigger UNC fan on 31 Aug 2019 than me. I know that the odds are against you, especially in this transition year with a new coach, but many on the Coot site (FGF) feel it will not be a good game unless they beat you guys by 3 or 4 TDs. There were a lot of reflecting in the mirror Gamecoot fans after Virginia drug them up and down the field. I hope the are able to view their hopelessness again in the mirror after the UNC game.

Again, the UNC game is a game they believe they should win, and win fairly big. It is also a MUST win. Should the Tarheels steal their candy they will be reeling through much of the rest of their season. Maybe the horrible loss to Virginia will then be in the past, as well as the moral victory 21 point loss to Clemson, as they will have new issues to worry about.
*Tar Heels

Reactions: TarHeelMark
There will be no bigger UNC fan on 31 Aug 2019 than me. I know that the odds are against you....
i watch the scar-clemson game every year and root hard for the tigers. but i'll root against you guys in every other game until you stop stealing recruits from n.c.

I think it’s reasonable for them to be favored by a touchdown, considering what they have returning, our inexperience at QB, and the fact we’re learning new schemes.

SC fans still routinely question whether clemson would make the playoff if they played in the SEC. USuCk fans are completely delusional. Clemson absolutely demolished the best team the SEC had to offer. They were the best team in college football by a country mile last year and I wouldn’t bet against them winning it all again this year. If Dabo sustains their current level of recruiting then this may end up being the greatest dynasty in the history of college football.

Didn’t you hear the only reason they won was because bama was tired

Reactions: uncboy10
You are crazy if you think a UNC offense with a freshman QB and a freshman offensive line is going to hang 30 on South Carolina's monster defensive line. No way. It just doesn't make sense.

Monster D....let me guess the second coming of Clemson from last year? Not doubting that they should be good but hold off on the monster part for a while till you prove it.

Monster D....let me guess the second coming of Clemson from last year? Not doubting that they should be good but hold off on the monster part for a while till you prove it.

South Carolina's defensive line will be one of the best in the SEC, and incredibly deep. The secondary is the best we've had in nearly a decade now, and the linebacker spot has all-SEC talent on it, it just doesn't have the same amount of quality depth compared to the secondary or D-line.

No, it won't be as good as Clemson last year, but the secondary may be better than theirs, and the defense as a whole will be quite a strong unit, especially in the trenches and in coverage. Don't forget that we had 19 injuries on defense last year, too. We finally get our NFL caliber starters back this year, healthy, plus more added depth.

This isn't just conjecture. This defense is going to be very good, and we have first round NFL talent on it. This is why I'm telling you it's crazy to believe you can hang 30 on us with a freshman offensive line, a freshman QB, and a thin receiving corps.

This isn't just conjecture. This defense is going to be very good, and we have first round NFL talent on it. This is why I'm telling you it's crazy to believe you can hang 30 on us with a freshman offensive line, a freshman QB, and a thin receiving corps.
Okay, what’s your prediction? Honestly, this is a game you should win handily! Perhaps it’s just over exuberance, but I smell an upset.

...This defense is going to be very good, and we have first round NFL talent on it. This is why I'm telling you it's crazy to believe you can hang 30 on us with a freshman offensive line, a freshman QB, and a thin receiving corps.
i wish mack had a few years to step up our talent level before playing you guys, but the reality is scar has been recruiting well and it would be an incredible upset. when you consider we're coming off a disgraceful 2-9 season just giving you a tough battle would be a hopeful sign of what's coming.

Reactions: franklin street
Okay, what’s your prediction? Honestly, this is a game you should win handily! Perhaps it’s just over exuberance, but I smell an upset.

i wish mack had a few years to step up our talent level before playing you guys, but the reality is scar has been recruiting well and it would be an incredible upset. when you consider we're coming off a disgraceful 2-9 season just giving you a tough battle would be a hopeful sign of what's coming.

You all keep saying that you "smell upset" but have said nothing as to why you feel that way.

Listen, when we are good, people always say they smell upset, because we are a historically bad team, and people don't respect our program. That's the reason why I always hear people say "I don't think South Carolina is as good as they think they are, I smell an upset". Because history hasn't been kind to us.

But from a logical standpoint, that's BS. That's you acting on a hunch because you would like your team to win and don't really respect our program, even when we are clearly better.

- Our defensive line is far and away a mismatch against your young and inexperienced O-line.
- You are playing a freshman QB. You haven't ever seen him play, yet are confident that he's going to do well under heavy pressure against one of the best D-lines in the SEC
- Our secondary is a mismatch for your receivers. Our DB's face more difficult receivers in practice. Outside of Newsome, you have no receiver with experience, and our guys physically outmatch you with their measurements.
- We have one of the best receiving corps in the SEC, and while you guys have an experienced secondary, you apparently didn't do that great of a job in coverage last year.
- Dominique Ross is suspended for the first half of the game for your LB corps, leaving you with literally no linebacker experience to play with. You're going to be starting players at linebacker who have zero to very few snaps in their college career. That is a huge, glaring issue, and will help USC run the football.

That is a list of clear advantages I see for USC over UNC. Can you think of any clear advantages that UNC has over USC? Because I'm guessing you can't, because we are a mismatch for you on all aspects of offense and defense. If I had to make a list of UNC advantages, I would probably say:

- Your defensive line is fair, and should be able to have a contest against our offensive line. But it's not like either has an advantage.
- You have good running backs (although I don't know how effective that would be if your offensive line cannot create holes against our effective pass rush)
- It's possible that Jake Bentley has a horrible day

I just don't really see any UNC advantage that spells clear upset to me. I would be happy if you could provide me something to back up your feelings that you very well may upset us. Because we are far and away a mismatch for your young and inexperienced team.

My prediction: 30-13 Gamecocks

Mack's first game at Carolina in 1988 was against South Carolina in Columbia.
Heels were beaten 10-31.

You all keep saying that you "smell upset" but have said nothing as to why you feel that way.

Listen, when we are good, people always say they smell upset, because we are a historically bad team, and people don't respect our program. That's the reason why I always hear people say "I don't think South Carolina is as good as they think they are, I smell an upset". Because history hasn't been kind to us.

But from a logical standpoint, that's BS. That's you acting on a hunch because you would like your team to win and don't really respect our program, even when we are clearly better.

- Our defensive line is far and away a mismatch against your young and inexperienced O-line.
- You are playing a freshman QB. You haven't ever seen him play, yet are confident that he's going to do well under heavy pressure against one of the best D-lines in the SEC
- Our secondary is a mismatch for your receivers. Our DB's face more difficult receivers in practice. Outside of Newsome, you have no receiver with experience, and our guys physically outmatch you with their measurements.
- We have one of the best receiving corps in the SEC, and while you guys have an experienced secondary, you apparently didn't do that great of a job in coverage last year.
- Dominique Ross is suspended for the first half of the game for your LB corps, leaving you with literally no linebacker experience to play with. You're going to be starting players at linebacker who have zero to very few snaps in their college career. That is a huge, glaring issue, and will help USC run the football.

That is a list of clear advantages I see for USC over UNC. Can you think of any clear advantages that UNC has over USC? Because I'm guessing you can't, because we are a mismatch for you on all aspects of offense and defense. If I had to make a list of UNC advantages, I would probably say:

- Your defensive line is fair, and should be able to have a contest against our offensive line. But it's not like either has an advantage.
- You have good running backs (although I don't know how effective that would be if your offensive line cannot create holes against our effective pass rush)
- It's possible that Jake Bentley has a horrible day

I just don't really see any UNC advantage that spells clear upset to me. I would be happy if you could provide me something to back up your feelings that you very well may upset us. Because we are far and away a mismatch for your young and inexperienced team.

My prediction: 30-13 Gamecocks

Don’t get your dander up, you’re starting to sound like an ass. No need for you to get pissy just because a few of us feel confident that we have a legitimate shot to win. Sounds like you have an inferiority complex regarding your program and your perceived lack of respect.

As I said, your team should win easily based on talent and experience. But I’m going with my gut and predicting an upset. If that ticks you off, tough.

And how does this impact the upcoming game?
I had forgotten that, but I bet Mack hasn't and really would like to correct it.

Mack's first team was divided because several players hated it that Crum had been fired. And more than a few boosters and fans also were more than wary of Crum being fired or the hiring of a very young Mack or both. I remember when Mack moved Torin Dorn from RB to DB that a number of UNC fans went nuts, some saying it proved Mack was not read for such a job.

Dorin spent 7 or 8 years as an NFL DB, and he never would have made an NFL roster at RB.

This time is different for Mack. There is no team dissension with players pining for Fedora.

Don’t get your dander up, you’re starting to sound like an ass. No need for you to get pissy just because a few of us feel confident that we have a legitimate shot to win. Sounds like you have an inferiority complex regarding your program and your perceived lack of respect.

As I said, your team should win easily based on talent and experience. But I’m going with my gut and predicting an upset. If that ticks you off, tough.

If you look at the all time records of teams with at least 600 wins...

USuCk is 93rd in all time wins and has the 9th worst all time winning percentage in college football. In their case, an inferiority complex suggests a healthy level of self awareness.

Fun side note: the wusspeckers are 104th in all time wins, and have the 7th worst winning percentage of all time.

Of course if you talk to a fan of either team you would think they are regularly a national championhsip contender.

Lol, inferiority complex to a team that went 2-9 last year. I’m just trying to tell you all why you think you can beat us - because we are historically bad. But that isn’t the case this year.

I would like to hear any legitimate points in regards to why you think you have a good shot. Surely, if you believe you have a good chance to win, you must believe you are better than us in some aspects of the field to pull off the win. I would like to hear exactly how you think you could win.

@2k15 just a heads up but you are coming off as a huge homer. Your defense was pretty bad last year, especially against the run. Your DL does look like the strength of your team but I haven't seen it referred to as "one of the best in the SEC" anywhere else. Your secondary has a couple nice players but little depth and from what I've seen your LBs are a total question mark, similar to ours.

The best 22 on each squad compare pretty favorably, although you guys definitely have an edge in experience and depth. Bentley is a total wild card, he can be great or he can be a TO machine. I don't see many difference makers at your skill positions.

SCar is only a TD favorite for a reason. The talent gap is not as wide as you think.

@2k15 just a heads up but you are coming off as a huge homer. Your defense was pretty bad last year, especially against the run. Your DL does look like the strength of your team but I haven't seen it referred to as "one of the best in the SEC" anywhere else. Your secondary has a couple nice players but little depth and from what I've seen your LBs are a total question mark, similar to ours.

The best 22 on each squad compare pretty favorably, although you guys definitely have an edge in experience and depth. Bentley is a total wild card, he can be great or he can be a TO machine. I don't see many difference makers at your skill positions.

SCar is only a TD favorite for a reason. The talent gap is not as wide as you think.

You obviously know nothing of our depth chart to be making the claim that our starters are only as good as yours, we just have more experience.

You do know that South Carolina had 19 season-ending injuries on defense last year, right? We were playing running backs at the corner spot against Clemson and UVA. We were decimated, nearly our entire first and second string was missing, and we still finished 21 spots higher than UNC in statistical total defense for 2018.

I know I come across as a homer, but we simply are a better defense than you, top to bottom. I do not doubt that the starters on your defense are capable, I know they are. But to say that our defensive starters are no more talented than yours, when we have multiple projected early round draft picks in Javon Kinlaw, DJ Wonnum, TJ Brunson, and Jaycee Horn, is frankly just laughable. You guys have a serviceable first string defense, nothing particularly special, and behind that you have no depth. We have NFL caliber starters, and then experienced depth behind that. What you will find in Game 1 is that your starters will do an okay job, but as the game goes on, your lack of defensive depth is going to render your defense tired.

IMO, USC is only favored by a TD because we flopped so hard against UVA.

I know we are all just talking smack here, so let's just wait and see how it shakes out.

You obviously know nothing of our depth chart to be making the claim that our starters are only as good as yours, we just have more experience.

You do know that South Carolina had 19 season-ending injuries on defense last year, right? We were playing running backs at the corner spot against Clemson and UVA. We were decimated, nearly our entire first and second string was missing, and we still finished 21 spots higher than UNC in statistical total defense for 2018.

I know I come across as a homer, but we simply are a better defense than you, top to bottom. I do not doubt that the starters on your defense are capable, I know they are. But to say that our defensive starters are no more talented than yours, when we have multiple projected early round draft picks in Javon Kinlaw, DJ Wonnum, TJ Brunson, and Jaycee Horn, is frankly just laughable. You guys have a serviceable first string defense, nothing particularly special, and behind that you have no depth. We have NFL caliber starters, and then experienced depth behind that. What you will find in Game 1 is that your starters will do an okay job, but as the game goes on, your lack of defensive depth is going to render your defense tired.

IMO, USC is only favored by a TD because we flopped so hard against UVA.

I know we are all just talking smack here, so let's just wait and see how it shakes out.

For the sake of the rest of the world, I really hope you're sterile.

Hey ladies and gents,

Classless Gamecock fan here. Hoping for a fun game in Charlotte with no injuries! Impressed with y’alls recruiting. I don’t think our season hinges on this game, but we definitely need a win for the 2021 recruiting class because in-state talent is very down for that class. If y’all are traveling to the game, be safe, and never forget how much y’all loved us when we beat the hell out of Duke in hoops!
I'm one who thinks that if SoCar cannot open with a W over UNC, coming off 5 wins in 2 seasons, then the season may bog down early.

Any SoCar football coach who drops 3 consecutive games to ACC teams is going to have boosters all over the AD's office demanding that something be done. Such a thing could prove a spur to improvement, but when your 1st SEC game (3rd of the season) is against Bama, you could find yourself feeling deflated with a 1-2 record, the second loss a beat down. At UGA, Florida, at UT will be a brutal stretch, one that a team entering wondering about itself could find overwhelming.

If SoCar loses to UNC, I don't see much likelihood of better than 6-6, and that could get Muschamp fired.

There is no pressure on Mack to win his first game back at UNC, not after the last 2 seasons.

For the sake of the rest of the world, I really hope you're sterile.

Nice deflections to defer from the truth of the matter. That post is shorter than many other posts I've already posted on here, too. And you read and responded to those.

I would still like to hear one advantage that UNC has over South Carolina, because I personally think we have you all beat nearly all over the field. You can't feel good about an upset if you don't have any strengths over us, so why do you guys feel confident? Besides sitting around and saying "USC sucks. I have no proof or logic, it's just a hunch. They're not very good".

I would still like to hear one advantage that UNC has over South Carolina, because I personally think we have you all beat nearly all over the field. You can't feel good about an upset if you don't have any strengths over us, so why do you guys feel confident? Besides sitting around and saying "USC sucks. I have no proof or logic, it's just a hunch. They're not very good".
Dude, why is this so IMPORTANT to you? You're on THE Carolina board. Nobody here is required to debate you.

Dude, why is this so IMPORTANT to you? You're on THE Carolina board. Nobody here is required to debate you.

Sorry, I was under the impression that you all were here to have a friendly football discussion. Not just circle jerk each other over thinking USC is bad. I thought you all would add some actual substance or counter points to the points I made.

Reactions: RockThrillCock
Sorry, I was under the impression that you all were here to have a friendly football discussion. Not just circle jerk each other over thinking USC is bad. I thought you all would add some actual substance or counter points to the points I made.
Obviously we can't. the cocks are way too good for us. Heels dont stand a chance. Happy now?

Reactions: lerario
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT