ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina vs South Carolina

Obviously we can't. the cocks are way too good for us. Heels dont stand a chance. Happy now?

I'm not asking you all to concede that you have a chance. On the contrary, I want to hear why you think you have a good shot at winning. You all claim you have a good shot, and as an opposing fan, I find that interesting because I think we are better. If you have any legitimate points to make about why you think you will win - favorable matchups, play styles, advantages - I would love to hear it. I'm not here to bash you all, I want to talk football.

From the Naked eye it does look like a South Carolina 27-10 win , Last time these 2 teams played UNC had the better team and I thought would win 34-24 But didn't... So I guess anything can happen..
As for schemes, you have 0 film on what your about to see and that for sure can cause problems ...

The Fact UNC has not even named a starting QB is also a problems on both sides...

?

How is it a problem for USC? Whoever you guys play, we have little to no tape on them anyways. We know that whoever you start, they're going to be inexperienced, so we know to put pressure on him to force errors.

Us not naming the starter yet doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem.

The fact you haven't named a starter isn't the problem. The problem is that any option you go with has very little to no collegiate game experience. And chances are, if you start a completely inexperienced QB in game 1 against a defensive line that will be effective in pressuring him all game long, that is not a recipe for success, no matter who it is.

The fact you haven't named a starter isn't the problem. The problem is that any option you go with has very little to no collegiate game experience. And chances are, if you start a completely inexperienced QB in game 1 against a defensive line that will be effective in pressuring him all game long, that is not a recipe for success, no matter who it is.
Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Boy, you UNC fans are really up your own ass. A guy wants to talk sports with you and you can do nothing but we sarcastic and act like this is a stupid conversation.

Fine I guess. I'll be watching my notifications to see if anyone with substance will show up to actually have a discussion.

Agreed. I don't even plan on watching now. Seriously though, this guy needs to learn the difference between a debate and being lectured in a condescending way.

I mean I'm used to talking like this with Clemson fans all the time, and even though we are far and away the worse team compared to them, we can still make arguments as to why we think we have a shot.

Okay, let's retry here. Let me ask you this, in a less hostile fashion. How much confidence do you all think you have in your QB corps? They are all inexperienced players, but perhaps you all see something different in them that I do. Thoughts?

Now we see why Little Carolina fans have the reputation they have.

We had a lot of season ending injuries as well. In fact, we finished the season with our fourth string QB, a guy who in all honesty wasn’t a P5 caliber QB. How do you think SC would have fared under those circumstances?

Despite that, we lost several games where we were tied or had the lead in the fourth quarter. So while you may have been better than a 7-6 team, we were better than a 2-9 team too.

Enough of the chest beating. Our teams will do the talking.

Okay, let's retry here. Let me ask you this, in a less hostile fashion. How much confidence do you all think you have in your QB corps? They are all inexperienced players, but perhaps you all see something different in them that I do.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you need to work on your less hostile attempts at discussion. :eek:

Look man, nobody is going to debate you. Personally, I don't give a shit about scar football (but don't take it personally, as I don't give two shits about any SEC team).

@2k15

Look dumbass, you can't come in here guns blazing saying your team is loaded with NFL talent (it's not) acting like you're just a hair behind bama and clemson talent wise then get pissy when no one wants to respond to your nonsense. But if you want a legit answer here we go:

Your defense was bad last year, especially against the run. The DL looks good on paper but isn't elite, and your back 7 isn't anything special. We have a talented but inexperienced OL, 3 really good RBs and our QB will have some wheels depending on who plays. If we can run successfully (likely) then we'll move the ball between the 20s. The question will be whether we can score TDs in the redzone.

On the other side like I said, Bently is Jekyl and Hyde. If he's a little bit off and throws a couple picks you guys will be in trouble. Your skill positions don't stand out, although no one expects us to stuff the run. We have decent pass rushers though and should fare well in obvious passing situations.

The guys in Vegas are infinitely smarter than you, and they see it as a one possession game. No one would argue that SCar is the better team on paper, but you sound like an idiot acting like SCar is on an entirely different level. You have better depth but these teams aren't all that far apart.

Oh and I forgot to mention that our OC put up 600+ yards and 41 points on you last year.

Nice deflections to defer from the truth of the matter. That post is shorter than many other posts I've already posted on here, too. And you read and responded to those.

I would still like to hear one advantage that UNC has over South Carolina, because I personally think we have you all beat nearly all over the field. You can't feel good about an upset if you don't have any strengths over us, so why do you guys feel confident? Besides sitting around and saying "USC sucks. I have no proof or logic, it's just a hunch. They're not very good".
UVA closed the regular season with 2 Ls. UVA then beat SoCar 28-0 in the Belk Bowl, and UVA only beat totally hapless Louisville by 24.

That's enough to have doubts about SoCar.

There is a new attitude around UNC football. It does not add talent, depth, or experience, but it does mean that the team no longer has the feeling of dread that permeated the past 2 years.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
“There is a new attitude around UNC football. It does not add talent, depth, or experience, but it does mean that the team no longer has the feeling of dread that permeated the past 2 years.”

And that, as much as anything, is my reason for optimism. We needed a fresh start and we have one. If we can avoid the rash of season ending injuries we had last year, we can be pretty good right off the bat.

I think the players truly believe in this staff and have bought into the new schemes we’re implementing. And our new S&C coach seems to have the team in great shape and feeling confident in the progress they’ve made in a short time.

Our new staff raised our ‘19 recruiting class 40 odd spots in a very short period and we finished in the mid 30’s. And we have a top 15 class coming in next year. So the future looks bright.

In short, we do have a new, revitalized attitude, fans included.

Last edited:
@2k15

Look dumbass, you can't come in here guns blazing saying your team is loaded with NFL talent (it's not) acting like you're just a hair behind bama and clemson talent wise then get pissy when no one wants to respond to your nonsense. But if you want a legit answer here we go:

Your defense was bad last year, especially against the run. The DL looks good on paper but isn't elite, and your back 7 isn't anything special. We have a talented but inexperienced OL, 3 really good RBs and our QB will have some wheels depending on who plays. If we can run successfully (likely) then we'll move the ball between the 20s. The question will be whether we can score TDs in the redzone.

On the other side like I said, Bently is Jekyl and Hyde. If he's a little bit off and throws a couple picks you guys will be in trouble. Your skill positions don't stand out, although no one expects us to stuff the run. We have decent pass rushers though and should fare well in obvious passing situations.

The guys in Vegas are infinitely smarter than you, and they see it as a one possession game. No one would argue that SCar is the better team on paper, but you sound like an idiot acting like SCar is on an entirely different level. You have better depth but these teams aren't all that far apart.

Oh and I forgot to mention that our OC put up 600+ yards and 41 points on you last year.

Well, at least I'm not walking around calling everyone "dumbass" like you are. Jeez, you guys like to get your panties in a wad about hostility but dish it out more than I do.

In response to you thinking we don't have a great defense, I already mentioned earlier that we had 19 injuries on the defense alone last year. We were utterly decimated. We finally get our best talent back this year, plus we maintain a ton of depth. We have two defensive linemen projected to go in the first round of the draft, so I don't know I can exactly stand by you saying "we have no NFL talent". We do. And your new OC, he put up 600 yards on us with a much much much much better offense than you all have this year, when we were decimated on defense by injury, and guess what - we still won that game.

As far as "I feel optimistic because the culture is changing at UNC under Brown" is concerned, I can understand that, fully. We got Muschamp after a 3-9 season, and our first year, we were all excited because we could tell he brought with him a new attitude and culture that was hyped up a ton, not to mention a killer staff and coordinators. And even though we didn't have a lot of depth or good players in our first year under Muschamp, we fought our way to six wins, and we felt good about that moving into year 2.

I do not doubt that you guys will have a better year. What I do doubt is that your offense will be able to match up against us very well, just because you have Phil Longo. This is year four under Muschamp for us, and reports from this offseason say that this is the very first time our team has built enough good depth to be "an SEC caliber defense", to quote Will Muschamp. Say what you want about him, but he knows defense. And according to him, this is the first year that we have the depth, experience, and talent to really really compete. That is something we have been building for a few years now. You guys are just starting on that journey to acquire top tier talent and build depth.

I can't convince you any more than I have that our defense will be legit. I've watched your guys' offensive tape, and if you ask me, you have a long way to go to be consistently competitive, especially on offense. You need a much better offensive line with depth to it, you need a proven QB with game experience who knows how to put the team on his back and win, and you need a stable of receivers who are consistent for you besides Dazz Newsome. You all have had way too many drops last year with this receiving corps. The talent, experience, and depth just isn't there for your offense to be really good this year, and Phil Longo simply calling the plays isn't going to change that. I'm not trying to say you guys suck or have no chance, I'm just telling you that it takes a long time to build a quality team from the ground up. But in a few years, you guys could be great.

Last edited:
Well, we’re going to give it the ol’ college try so we’ll see what happens. I won’t be surprised if it’s a low scoring game, something like 20-17.

I'm not predicting an upset. There's a good chance we get killed. I just think you're a first-order homer who doesn't know what he's talking about. Let's go to the tape.

You are crazy if you think a UNC offense with a freshman QB and a freshman offensive line is going to hang 30 on South Carolina's monster defensive line.
I count three errors in one sentence, which is an incredibly efficient demonstration of dumbassery.

1) We don't have a "freshman offensive line." We're projected to start a single freshman, who is a redshirt. We're also projected to start two redshirt sophomores (third year in the program) and two redshirt seniors (fifth year in the program).

2) @Archer2 didn't say we'd score 30 points. He said 27, which is less than what we averaged last season starting a third-rate quarterback.

3) You do realize that defensive and special teams units are allowed to score, right?

This defense is going to be very good, and we have first round NFL talent on it.
We have two defensive linemen projected to go in the first round of the draft....
I just checked five different mock drafts and none of them had a single USCjr player going in the first round. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...we still finished 21 spots higher than UNC in statistical total defense for 2018.
LOL. Bragging about finishing 84th in total defense -- 12th out of 14 SEC teams -- has to be one of the dumbest self-owns imaginable.

That post is shorter than many other posts I've already posted on here, too. And you read and responded to those.
I didn't, though. Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

I'm not predicting an upset. There's a good chance we get killed. I just think you're a first-order homer who doesn't know what he's talking about. Let's go to the tape.

I count three errors in one sentence, which is an incredibly efficient demonstration of dumbassery.

1) We don't have a "freshman offensive line." We're projected to start a single freshman, who is a redshirt. We're also projected to start two redshirt sophomores (third year in the program) and two redshirt seniors (fifth year in the program).

2) @Archer2 didn't say we'd score 30 points. He said 27, which is less than what we averaged last season starting a third-rate quarterback.

3) You do realize that defensive and special teams units are allowed to score, right?

I just checked five different mock drafts and none of them had a single USCjr player going in the first round. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL. Bragging about finishing 84th in total defense -- 12th out of 14 SEC teams -- has to be one of the dumbest self-owns imaginable.

Mic drop

Reactions: lerario and Archer2
@Raising Heel a few other gems:

In response to you thinking we don't have a great defense, I already mentioned earlier that we had 19 injuries on the defense alone last year. We were utterly decimated. We finally get our best talent back this year, plus we maintain a ton of depth.

"Injuries were why we sucked, but were irrelevant to your team."

reports from this offseason say that this is the very first time our team has built enough good depth to be "an SEC caliber defense", to quote Will Muschamp. Say what you want about him, but he knows defense. And according to him, this is the first year that we have the depth, experience, and talent to really really compete.

"Corch says this is the best off-season we've had! Everyone on the team took huge strides and will be so much better this year!"

Scar D was decimated, but who cares about UNC's starting DT and best fall-camp D player never playing, who cares about UNC's best player statistically being suspended 3 games, who cares about the second-best DE on the team being suspended 3 games, who cares about the 3rd best DE missing the final 6 games to leg injury, who cares about our #2 and #3 cornerbacks only playing 3 games each because of injury, our #3 safety missing games to injury, who cares about the #4 LB missing the last half of the yr to injury, then having to start a converted safety vs GT because LB #2 and #3 were out with injuries. Let's see, starting safety Dorn missed the first two with injury, i think that is it, but who cares, cuz Scar D was oh so decimated.

Scar D was decimated, but who cares about UNC's starting DT and best fall-camp D player never playing, who cares about UNC's best player statistically being suspended 3 games, who cares about the second-best DE on the team being suspended 3 games, who cares about the 3rd best DE missing the final 6 games to leg injury, who cares about our #2 and #3 cornerbacks only playing 3 games each because of injury, our #3 safety missing games to injury, who cares about the #4 LB missing the last half of the yr to injury, then having to start a converted safety vs GT because LB #2 and #3 were out with injuries. Let's see, starting safety Dorn missed the first two with injury, i think that is it, but who cares, cuz Scar D was oh so decimated.
Mic picked up... and dropped again!

Well, at least I'm not walking around calling everyone "dumbass" like you are. Jeez, you guys like to get your panties in a wad about hostility but dish it out more than I do.

In response to you thinking we don't have a great defense, I already mentioned earlier that we had 19 injuries on the defense alone last year. We were utterly decimated. We finally get our best talent back this year, plus we maintain a ton of depth. We have two defensive linemen projected to go in the first round of the draft, so I don't know I can exactly stand by you saying "we have no NFL talent". We do. And your new OC, he put up 600 yards on us with a much much much much better offense than you all have this year, when we were decimated on defense by injury, and guess what - we still won that game.

As far as "I feel optimistic because the culture is changing at UNC under Brown" is concerned, I can understand that, fully. We got Muschamp after a 3-9 season, and our first year, we were all excited because we could tell he brought with him a new attitude and culture that was hyped up a ton, not to mention a killer staff and coordinators. And even though we didn't have a lot of depth or good players in our first year under Muschamp, we fought our way to six wins, and we felt good about that moving into year 2.

I do not doubt that you guys will have a better year. What I do doubt is that your offense will be able to match up against us very well, just because you have Phil Longo. This is year four under Muschamp for us, and reports from this offseason say that this is the very first time our team has built enough good depth to be "an SEC caliber defense", to quote Will Muschamp. Say what you want about him, but he knows defense. And according to him, this is the first year that we have the depth, experience, and talent to really really compete. That is something we have been building for a few years now. You guys are just starting on that journey to acquire top tier talent and build depth.

I can't convince you any more than I have that our defense will be legit. I've watched your guys' offensive tape, and if you ask me, you have a long way to go to be consistently competitive, especially on offense. You need a much better offensive line with depth to it, you need a proven QB with game experience who knows how to put the team on his back and win, and you need a stable of receivers who are consistent for you besides Dazz Newsome. You all have had way too many drops last year with this receiving corps. The talent, experience, and depth just isn't there for your offense to be really good this year, and Phil Longo simply calling the plays isn't going to change that. I'm not trying to say you guys suck or have no chance, I'm just telling you that it takes a long time to build a quality team from the ground up. But in a few years, you guys could be great.

@Raising Heel a few other gems:

"Injuries were why we sucked, but were irrelevant to your team."

"Corch says this is the best off-season we've had! Everyone on the team took huge strides and will be so much better this year!"
source.gif

Holy shit guys, where did I deny that injuries didn't affect your team too? I said nothing of the sort. I was merely commenting on USC's injuries.

You all really know how to build a strawman and then set it on fire. Telling me I'm too hostile to have a discussion with, meanwhile you're the ones calling me a douche and a dumbass, and then you tell each other "mic drop bro. You nailed him". Do you have a fourth grade education in smack talk?

Lol, wtf is the matter with you people. You're going bananas over something I didn't even say.

You're going bananas over something I didn’t even say.
I literally quoted things you said. They were stupid things to have said.

You’re right, though. You didn’t say things. You went on and on about all the injuries Carl’s Jr. had last year without saying anything about the absurd number of injuries Carolina sustained over the last two seasons. Nor did you ask any of us for evaluations of our own team before proceeding to — you’re not gonna believe this — tell us about our own team. You also got much of it wrong. Derp.

That’s the kind of presumptuous bullshit that signals you aren’t actually here for a discussion. It tells everyone you’re an intellectually dishonest wanker. You poisoned the well and I don’t suspect anybody here wants to waste their time with you aside from mocking you.

All I know is the gamecocks will get beat by two basketball schools this year. Kentucky and UNC.

Reactions: UNC '92
You went on and on about all the injuries Carl’s Jr. had last year without saying anything about the absurd number of injuries Carolina sustained over the last two seasons.

You are correct sir. I said nothing about your team's injuries, but you all went after me like I was trying to deny you had any. That's what I mean by you were attacking me for things I didn't say. USC had lots of injuries last year. Yes, that is true. Just because I also didn't mention UNC's injuries doesn't mean I'm denying that you guys suffered from them too. But you all acted as if I was trying to deny that. That's bullshit. Be fair.

Nor did you ask any of us for evaluations of our own team before proceeding to — you’re not gonna believe this — tell us about our own team.

I asked you all since I first posted here that I would like to hear your thoughts on your team and why you think you guys can win. I wanted nothing more than to hear what you all thought of your team, so don't lie and tell me that I had no interest in hearing your assessment. You all just decided to be jerks right off the bat.

In addition, I have done a lot of research on UNC's team, thus why I am throwing my two cents in. I've been pouring over your depth chart, watching film, reading articles, the works. What I learned is you guys have nobody experienced at all at LB after losing your best player to the NFL and having your only remaining experience get suspended for the first half. I learned you guys are in a three way QB battle in which two have never seen the field, and the one who did has little experience and wasn't super accurate. I learned that you guys are starting two completely inexperienced RS freshmen guards in Joshua Ezeudu and Ed Montilus, and your LT has very little experience, although he had a few appearances last year. Your center is a newly converted left guard, so even that is going to be an experiment. The only consistency you all have from last year is your right tackle. I am correct in saying you have a very young offensive line, with a freshman interior, little depth, and a lot of question marks.

I've done research. I even wrote an extensive 3 page write up on you guys that I published to Gamecock cites. I poured hours into it simply because I love talking matchups and football. I'm not here to tell you all that your team sucks. I am here to say what I have to think, and hear back from you all what you think of your team, and I asked for your opinions many, many times. Don't act like I didn't.

I asked you all since I first posted here that I would like to hear your thoughts on your team.
Wrong.

What I learned is you guys have nobody experienced at all at LB after losing your best player to the NFL and having your only remaining experience get suspended for the first half
Wrong.

I learned you guys are in a three way QB battle in which two have never seen the field....
Wrong.

...and the one who did has little experience and wasn't super accurate.
Wrong.

I learned that you guys are starting two completely inexperienced RS freshmen guards in Joshua Ezeudu and Ed Montilus....
Wrong. (I already told you this was wrong FFS.)

...and your LT has very little experience, although he had a few appearances last year.
Wrong.

Your center is a newly converted left guard....
Wrong.

The only consistency you all have from last year is your right tackle.
Wrong.

I am correct in saying you have a very young offensive line, with a freshman interior, little depth, and a lot of question marks.
I am correct that you're wrong.

I've done research. I even wrote an extensive 3 page write up on you guys that I published to Gamecock cites.
*sites, and I hope they have a robust refund policy.

Look, I don't know where you got your information but it's horribly inaccurate. I'm going to give you a D- for conducting your own research, mostly so I don't ever have to see you in my class again.

Post Script: This is exactly what I'm talking about. You actually think you know our team better than we do. Rather than defer to our expertise, you presumed from the jump that you're right and proceeded to lecture us. If there's still any remaining doubt why your approach here was ill-received, please re-read this poast as many times as necessary.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

*sites, and I hope they have a robust refund policy.

Look, I don't know where you got your information but it's horribly inaccurate. I'm going to give you a D- for conducting your own research, mostly so I don't ever have to see you in my class again.

Listen man, you can choose to do the ole Donald Trump "wrong" without providing any clarification or facts to back up it being wrong, but for the sake of discussion here, won't you please?

Here, I'll go through every single thing you said was "wrong" and explain where I sourced my information and why I believed it to be right.

Here, I claimed that I originally wanted to hear your opinions since I first started posting here. You said that was wrong, but as you can see, in my third post (post 103) I said, "I just don't really see any UNC advantage that spells clear upset to me. I would be happy if you could provide me something to back up your feelings that you very well may upset us." I would have said that in my first two posts, but just assumed you all would've responded with your thoughts without me having to ask you all to. I was trying to have a discussion.

Here, you said I was wrong about your experience at LB. I was correct in stating you lost your best linebacker, Cole Holcomb, to the NFL last year, leaving you with Dominique Ross, your only experienced, veteran LB, and he is suspended the first half of the game. According to Mack Brown, your starting outside LB this season is Jeremiah Gemmel, who has 1 recorded career tackle as a freshman. Chris Collins is a true sophomore with 6 career tackles, Matthew Flint has 3 career tackles, Tyrone Hopper has only 18 tackles . There is very little experience there at all. I will say that I missed Jonathan Smith's name when hearing Mack Brown talk about potential starters, perhaps because it is obvious, but he is experienced and totals up around 35 tackles every year on average. So you all have one LB starting that has good experience, and everywhere else is a question mark and inexperienced. I would like to hear what is incorrect about that.

You are indeed in a QB battle with Sam Howell, a true freshman, Jace Ruder, a true sophomore who has seen a mere few minutes in one game (I would hardly count that as any meaningful game experience), and Cade Fortin, who appeared in four games last season.

You said I was wrong about Fortin being inaccurate. Would you consider a less than 50% completion rate accurate? Because I wouldn't.

According to ourlads' UNC depth chart, Ezeudu and Montilus are your two guards going into the season, but now that I've dug a little deeper, I see that Brian Anderson, a RS sophomore with very little game experience, is actually starting at center, so Polino moves over, while Montilus, who hasn't taken a collegiate snap yet, is still at RG, meaning you have a young and inexperienced interior. My bad thought, ourlads had an incorrect depth chart.

I meant that your RT is inexperienced, I accidentally said LT. Your LT is fine. However, the right side of your line (C, RG, RT) has only 1 start between all of them. That's pretty inexperienced.

Your center WAS going to be a converted LG, I got older information. However, it's not like your new Center, Brian Anderson, is anything great or experienced. He had two career appearances in one season last year.

You are not correct that I am wrong. As I just said, you have a single start between your center, right guard, and right tackle. And, you only have 10 total game appearances between all of them, and 8 of those go to the right tackle alone. That is glaring inexperience on the interior.

I would appreciate some kind of reply, I know it's a long post. I am at least trying to have the discussion here.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT