ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

I’ll admit, I find G7 pretty damn knowledgeable about the game of basketball. Whoopity-doo. My fandom no longer is at a level where I care to know any more than I already do. So I don’t really pay attention to anything he says anymore.

I’ll admit, I find G7 pretty damn knowledgeable about the game of basketball. Whoopity-doo. My fandom no longer is at a level where I care to know any more than I already do. So I don’t really pay attention to anything he says anymore.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't know anything, it's just some people get tired of the presentation and the backlash if people disagree. I honestly think he recognizes it, but he doesn't care which I can respect. The funny thing is that he's not the one that ever tries to defend himself. It's almost always his buddies on the board that attack.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying he doesn't know anything, it's just some people get tired of the presentation and the backlash if people disagree. I honestly think he recognizes it, but he doesn't care which I can respect. The funny thing is that he's not the one that ever tries to defend himself. It's almost always his buddies on the board that attack.

Agree with that. But Strum was also just being disagreeable in that thread. It was him having a little tantrum because the Heels aren't playing as well as he wanted them to be and so he takes it out on Gary, who is more often than not an optimist. Gary makes himself a target for it though with all his know-it-all bluster. That might be what's pissing Strum off - that someone is out know-it-alling him.

GFY! I often disagree with Gary’s posts but he knows more about basketball than all of you put together. Is he abrasive and arrogant? Yes, but no more than people like you and Strum.
Make sure you tickle his balls!

Geez just have fun why is that so hard!

I bet you are one of the guys when someone talks about an upcoming game you say "we need to worry about tonight's game"

Make sure you tickle his balls!

Geez just have fun why is that so hard!

I bet you are one of the guys when someone talks about an upcoming game you say "we need to worry about tonight's game"
I hope the kids are enjoying it as much as possible. They ARE "Carolina Basketball." It belongs to them, in this moment. This tacit perception/obsession by these old timers who never sniffed the actual competition, or wore the colors and represented the university, should never enter their minds. They owe them nothing. And, their scrutiny, criticism, and even their support, doesn't amount to much.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
They do, and I have brought this up over there before because it comical at this point, but the refs always suck and are always against us for no apparent reason.

I agreed one day about some random shit and stroked their ego just to see what would happen and just like that I was in the club, and then in the same thread I strongly disagreed and within 45 minutes I went from a good fan to a troll that they was going to block me!

It's great!

You pretty much nailed it. The herdthink over there is on a level almost impossible parody.

It's not that Gary doesn't know anything about basketball, he's just a pompous, arrogant asshole. He acts like he has a monopoly on Carolina hoops.

You pretty much nailed it. The herdthink over there is on a level almost impossible parody.

It's not that Gary doesn't know anything about basketball, he's just a pompous, arrogant asshole. He acts like he has a monopoly on Carolina hoops.
when he said the refs conspired to make sure carolina didn’t beat villanova i quit reading his stuff.

Reactions: Heelicious
If they played a better team they would have lost for sure. So many turnovers, so many missed free throws. Boston college seemed to just be content to let Carolina beat them.

RJ had a good game, and I'm glad Armando is tied with Billy Cunningham. That means he's for sure going to get the record soon. Had to listen to it on learfield radio with Eric and Jones angel. I'm such a terrible fan.

If they played a better team they would have lost for sure. So many turnovers, so many missed free throws. Boston college seemed to just be content to let Carolina beat them.

RJ had a good game, and I'm glad Armando is tied with Billy Cunningham. That means he's for sure going to get the record soon. Had to listen to it on learfield radio with Eric and Jones angel. I'm such a terrible fan.
I bet we have never played a game since the 3 point line was installed that a team didn't make one against us!

I bet we have never played a game since the 3 point line was installed that a team didn't make one against us!
giphy.gif

Reactions: notashelbyfan
GFY! I often disagree with Gary’s posts but he knows more about basketball than all of you put together. Is he abrasive and arrogant? Yes, but no more than people like you and Strum.
That is categorically false. You know nothing about my basketball background because, unlike Gary, I don't go around shouting my resume with every poast I make. As @tarheel0910 said, I get he's your boy and you defend him but you've been defending some pretty shitty people lately. You may want to look into that.

Gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this story:

I think Tyler absolutely did that, but probably not in the malicious way Wall took it...Tyler was (is?) a really weird dude and super awkward.

That said, that is absolutely not the reason Wall didn't go to UNC. Roy backed off after Wall went to an unaccredited HS and got arrested for breaking and entering (to go have sex with an underage girl).

Reactions: bluetoe
I can't believe the numbers Armando has put up in his career. I don't feel like he's going to stand out historically compared so many other UNC studs. His numbers put him in the highest echelons of players but for some reason I think he's going to seem like someone who doesn't belong.

He's more like Ed Cota for PGs than George Lynch for PFs to me.

Anybody else feel the same? Is it because our record has been so-so, or our consistency has been so-so?

Anybody else feel the same? Is it because our record has been so-so, or our consistency has been so-so?

Yes. And because he was at Carolina during a transition. Not only a transition at Carolina, but throughout the sport with NIL, COVID, transfer portal. If we hang on to win the title last year, he's a bona fide legend in Carolina history. But I agree, his legacy will not be viewed in the same light as guys who haven't individually produced on his level. And it's largely because he's played on teams that were underwhelming by Carolina standards.

That said, that is absolutely not the reason Wall didn't go to UNC. Roy backed off after Wall went to an unaccredited HS and got arrested for breaking and entering (to go have sex with an underage girl).
not doubting this at all, but I have a pretty clear memory that he and his 'people' wanted some kind of deal to go wherever he was going to go...and it was not perfectly kosher. Or maybe not at all kosher. Hell, who knows with kosher; but I digress.

I'm not an insider, but that's what insider's were saying on whatever (premium) board I was on at the time. I think the B&E was reason to break off any recruitment, but the requested deal was already a deal breaker that they were trying to work around.

Reactions: dadika13
Yes. And because he was at Carolina during a transition. Not only a transition at Carolina, but throughout the sport with NIL, COVID, transfer portal. If we hang on to win the title last year, he's a bona fide legend in Carolina history. But I agree, his legacy will not be viewed in the same light as guys who haven't individually produced on his level. And it's largely because he's played on teams that were underwhelming by Carolina stastandards
I agree with this. It is remarkable what he has managed so far and with 1 shorter season as well. It has to be weird to have played from empty statiums to packed houses like this current class has. If he plays again next year, and extends the goalpost with the record, will be viewed differently. But breaking records with how things have been is cool to me.

not doubting this at all, but I have a pretty clear memory that he and his 'people' wanted some kind of deal to go wherever he was going to go...and it was not perfectly kosher. Or maybe not at all kosher. Hell, who knows with kosher; but I digress.

I'm not an insider, but that's what insider's were saying on whatever (premium) board I was on at the time. I think the B&E was reason to break off any recruitment, but the requested deal was already a deal breaker that they were trying to work around.
Yeah Clifton was definitely looking for some kick back...and I'm sure he got it from Calipari.

I can't believe the numbers Armando has put up in his career. I don't feel like he's going to stand out historically compared so many other UNC studs. His numbers put him in the highest echelons of players but for some reason I think he's going to seem like someone who doesn't belong.

He's more like Ed Cota for PGs than George Lynch for PFs to me.

There's no doubt in my mind that he will always stand out. You'll never forget that hair.

We need to come up with a UNC all-hair team. The ones that immediately come to mind are JR Reid, Coby White, Bacot and Kerwin Walton.

Reactions: Heelicious
We need to come up with a UNC all-hair team. The ones that immediately come to mind are JR Reid, Coby White, Bacot and Kerwin Walton.
Remember when Roy first got here and I think it was Felton, McCants, etc all went bald - clean shaven, and got housed I think by Texas early in the NCAA tourney? Roy not impressed. We never saw that repeated again. Went the way of the headband under Roy.

Very few probably remember Pete Budko. I was a kid when I saw them the first time... maybe 10. Anyway, his name always stuck with me.

Looking back now, he looks like he could have been on-set with Marilyn Chambers!

Pete-Budko.jpg

How about Phil Ford?

phil-ford-basketball-players-photo-u1
I grew up in Nashville... not far from Rocky Mount. I went to his rival high school. I remember seeing him as a kid and thinking "He doesn't have any forehead!"

he was a legend around where I grew up. There were all kinds of crazy stories like "If you go to RM, they offer a tour of his home!" Crazy shit.

I grew up in Nashville... not far from Rocky Mount. I went to his rival high school. I remember seeing him as a kid and thinking "He doesn't have any forehead!"

he was a legend around where I grew up. There were all kinds of crazy stories like "If you go to RM, they offer a tour of his home!" Crazy shit.
I don't like to choose favorites, but I have to admit Phil is my all-time favorite Tar Heel BB player. The consummate Tar Heel, he symbolizes our BB program to me. It wasn't just his playing either, it was how well he represented us.

But yeah, he had that crazy no-forehead hair pattern. Not any more.

Remember when Roy first got here and I think it was Felton, McCants, etc all went bald - clean shaven, and got housed I think by Texas early in the NCAA tourney? Roy not impressed. We never saw that repeated again. Went the way of the headband under Roy.
yes…the game ended close, but carolina was never in it.

rayshawn terry too, and that was just weird…can’t remember if melvin did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT