ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

With Bobby knight passing I always remember that with all his great teams, three titles, undefeated season, he only had two nba players of note. It was all about the team then and playing with intensity and of you wouldn’t do it then go ride the pine. My biggest complaint with coach Davis is he lets guys get away with the opposi seems to me. Dribbling around for three mins then jacking up a contested three. Dean woulda had a cow.

1 - I loved Bob Knight

2 - "have a cow" is an underrated expression I'm gonna try to bring back.

With Bobby knight passing I always remember that with all his great teams, three titles, undefeated season, he only had two nba players of note. It was all about the team then and playing with intensity and of you wouldn’t do it then go ride the pine. My biggest complaint with coach Davis is he lets guys get away with the opposi seems to me. Dribbling around for three mins then jacking up a contested three. Dean woulda had a cow.
couldn't agree more, and in fact I started to reiterate something I've posted before. Dean's earlier teams were lacking in superstar-class players, and accordingly they lacked the individual egos of his later teams. Don't get me wrong, they all were awesome but for somewhat different reasons. The earlier teams, with very good players, were more team-oriented as opposed to more individual play. The discipline was apparent, the team was first, and the plays they ran were a thing of beauty. Dean's emphasis on passing and assists could be seen very readily. It was machine-like at times.

What made Dean the most special to me was how he could be such a great humanitarian and father-like figure to his players, while kicking their asses pretty well if they got out of tune, And he did that without going Bobby Knight on them.

And that isn't to belittle Bobby Knight. He gets the award for best chair toss ever. I admired him for his discipline, understanding that grabbing a player by the throat or the back of the neck while somewhat extreme, was not really injurious. I think he gets too bad a rap for that sort of thing in our increasingly fragile character. Also, he guest-hosted some televised salute to Dean and the main host started off with some smart-ass remark directed at Dean, and Knight sailed on him and put him in his place. Emphatically. It was ingratiating.

Coach Davis seems to be instilling an NBA kind of mindset. Lord, I hope that isn't the case.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
couldn't agree more, and in fact I started to reiterate something I've posted before. Dean's earlier teams were lacking in superstar-class players, and accordingly they lacked the individual egos of his later teams. Don't get me wrong, they all were awesome but for somewhat different reasons. The earlier teams, with very good players, were more team-oriented as opposed to more individual play. The discipline was apparent, the team was first, and the plays they ran were a thing of beauty. Dean's emphasis on passing and assists could be seen very readily. It was machine-like at times.

What made Dean the most special to me was how he could be such a great humanitarian and father-like figure to his players, while kicking their asses pretty well if they got out of tune, And he did that without going Bobby Knight on them.

And that isn't to belittle Bobby Knight. He gets the award for best chair toss ever. I admired him for his discipline, understanding that grabbing a player by the throat or the back of the neck while somewhat extreme, was not really injurious. I think he gets too bad a rap for that sort of thing in our increasingly fragile character. Also, he guest-hosted some televised salute to Dean and the main host started off with some smart-ass remark directed at Dean, and Knight sailed on him and put him in his place. Emphatically. It was ingratiating.

Coach Davis seems to be instilling an NBA kind of mindset. Lord, I hope that isn't the case.
Occasionally I’ll watch segments of the unc/Georgetown title game. You talk about discipline! There’s like 5 nba superstars on the floor and they’re all playing within their scheme, running plays, looking for the best shot. It can be nerve wracking seeing all that talent patiently (yes machine like) making five passes before running a play in a half court offense on the way to 60pts but that was how it was done. Fortunately for my sanity dean went away from that style. Still disciplined, but more uptempo.

three things apparent tonight; ryan is tough and just a very smart basketball player, something we’ve missed…ingram is way more athletic and savvy than i thought…ball movement is monumentally better than last season.

would love to press more, so maybe that’s on the way…the roster is there to do it.

I hope Caleb lights-up the blew devils in Cameron for 40

He'd be the most hated player by the crazies since Hansbrough.

I've recorded every game this year, but I've yet to watch one. I know it's almost a completely different team, but last year pretty much ruined my enthusiasm for UNC basketball.

Reactions: strummingram
I've recorded every game this year, but I've yet to watch one. I know it's almost a completely different team, but last year pretty much ruined my enthusiasm for UNC basketball.
Talk about two totally different endings of a season. Cataclysmic differences.

I've watched the 2nd halves of two games. RJ looks good to go. Same with Bacot. Of course, Armando's in his 12th season, so he should be good to go. RJ's got tons of experience too. But I do think some of these transfers are going to work better than Nance ever worked. I think it'll be better this year, I'm not sure how much better. Better is a relative term. But I do think they'll go to the NCAA tournament this year.

Im in the same boat with ya. I don't need added unnecessary stress in my life at this point. I'll eventually find a spark again.

Im in the same boat with ya. I don't need added unnecessary stress in my life at this point. I'll eventually find a spark again.
I'll probably watch today's game sometime tonight since we're finished playing warmup teams, but I'm not excited about it. Feel like I need to watch because of obligation as a fan.

I'll probably watch today's game sometime tonight since we're finished playing warmup teams, but I'm not excited about it. Feel like I need to watch because of obligation as a fan.

I'm going to watch it but I don't have a good feeling about it. We have really not set the world on fire with our first 3 cupcakes!

A slow start today will equal a loss.

a lot can be said about the toughness this year only through four games…carolina seeing that adversity yesterday, probably loses that game last year…just keep getting better and keep pressing.

Dixon ate the whole teams lunch today
Bacot was off. Davis looks the same, just a little more firm. The new guys seem to hustle well. Ryan is a stud. May have lost him for a while on a stupid desperate play.
The Guru will blame Davis for not playing the only legitimate PG we have for 40 minutes

So I have a legitimate question. If the offense has the ball, and moves defenders out the way with what visually looks like excessive bumping, but the defender bairly touches the player, how is the 1st not called a foul. Villanova is a very physical team.

Last edited:
Bacot was off. Davis looks the same, just a little more firm. The new guys seem to hustle well. Ryan is a stud. May have lost him for a while on a stupid desperate play.
The Guru will blame Davis for not playing the only legitimate PG we have for 40 minutes

So I have a legitimate question. If the offense has the ball, and moves defenders out the way with what visually looks like excessive bumping, but the defender bairly touches the player, how is the 1st not called a foul. Villanova is a very physical team.
Ryan's injury was such a fluke. That was weird.

Overtime games are tough. I still think they look better than last year. Too early to know for sure.

Complete screw job by the refs. Nova players extended the off arm on almost every drive to the basket in the second half. We had command of that game, up 8 and would have won by double digits until the one-sided officiating got them back in the game. Absolute bullshit.

Reactions: Grayhead
Ryan's injury was such a fluke. That was weird.

Overtime games are tough. I still think they look better than last year. Too early to know for sure.
Definitely better than last year. They can win games in more ways.

It looks like we’re somewhat dependent on RJ’s scoring because he’s the only one who can create his own offense. So a bit dependent on a flawed player.

One thing though… I think our depth is being overstated. They’re all playing now and that’s fine and dandy. But I see an 8 man rotation (Cadeau, RJ, Ryan, Ingram, Bacot - Withers, Washington, Trimble) and not much past that. That’s still better than the 4 deep we were last year.

the group is better

They are better but there is just something missing, and I can't out my finger on it.

I don't want to seem like that guy but we are far from playing with a full deck when it comes to coaching. They have no clue how to adjust to anything.

bingo. The problem with allowing a certain amount of any particular foul is keeping it consistent. And it can't be done. In this particular case I wanted to throw a ref in the river for the obvious offensive fouls being committed by Villanova, but I wanted to tie his hands behind his back first after he called the same foul on us as the uncalled ones they were committing.

To be honest, I didn't think I was watching basketball.

They are better but there is just something missing, and I can't out my finger on it.

I don't want to seem like that guy but we are far from playing with a full deck when it comes to coaching. They have no clue how to adjust to anything.
We aren't all that talented. RJ is probably our most gifted scorer but he's limited. Bacot is more productive than he is dominant. And there's no Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, or Tony Bradley talent coming off this bench. I think we're one interior scorer short. And assuming Ingram doesn't shoot 50% from 3, I think he might be one consistent perimeter shooter short.

I think we're better in large part because Ingram is such a significant upgrade over Leaky's offensive 0. Ingram's had a great start to the season, but he's doing what a typical UNC quality wing player has done when they've been the first, second, or third option. But this isn't the devastating talented teams in the past.

But it's a good unit with a mix of skill combos. It will be up to Hubert to find the right combinations. I'm growing less and less confident in his tactical ability. But to be honest, I don't think 75% of college coaches can coach their way out of a paper bag. I'm also going to give him some benefit of the doubt. I think Caleb Love is a very difficult player to coach when your team is dependent on his production. So I'll accept that Hubert will need some time with this current unit.

But I'm expecting Hubert to be a sub-par game coach because most college coaches are. Hopefully he can consistently bring in the talent to offset those deficincies.

We aren't all that talented. RJ is probably our most gifted scorer but he's limited. Bacot is more productive than he is dominant. And there's no Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, or Tony Bradley talent coming off this bench. I think we're one interior scorer short. And assuming Ingram doesn't shoot 50% from 3, I think he might be one consistent perimeter shooter short.

I think we're better in large part because Ingram is such a significant upgrade over Leaky's offensive 0. Ingram's had a great start to the season, but he's doing what a typical UNC quality wing player has done when they've been the first, second, or third option. But this isn't the devastating talented teams in the past.

But it's a good unit with a mix of skill combos. It will be up to Hubert to find the right combinations. I'm growing less and less confident in his tactical ability. But to be honest, I don't think 75% of college coaches can coach their way out of a paper bag. I'm also going to give him some benefit of the doubt. I think Caleb Love is a very difficult player to coach when your team is dependent on his production. So I'll accept that Hubert will need some time with this current unit.

But I'm expecting Hubert to be a sub-par game coach because most college coaches are. Hopefully he can consistently bring in the talent to offset those deficincies.
He sat under 2 of the greatest. If he chooses his own route, then he will end up a lesser Doherty. One a complete game coach. The other played to force his will on the game. No reason HD can't take both approaches

He sat under 2 of the greatest. If he chooses his own route, then he will end up a lesser Doherty. One a complete game coach. The other played to force his will on the game. No reason HD can't take both approaches
The Roy Williams coaching tree has been a bust. So there's no evidence that being on Roy Williams' bench or being his player helps or hurts you as a head coach. Wes Miller looks like he has the best chance for success. I don't think he was ever on Roy's staff. Dean is obviously a different story. I'm not sure how many active coaches there are who are assistants under him right now. Obviously a different generation. So, I don't know how much all of that matters when it comes to Hubert as a head coach.

I won't go as far as Doherty. I didn't follow his tenure all that closely, but until there are signs of a 20-loss season coming, I think those comparisons are a bit unfair. The most important thing to me is to bring in elite talent. Roy never won anything without elite talent here. Hell, Hubert was 2-3 minutes away from winning a National Championship without elite talent.

As I said, a lesser Doherty. Even DOH knew how to recruit. He handed Roy all the tools for his 1st chip.
My comparison to him lies in his changing what works. HD fights a up hill battle. The elite are me 1st people. Everyone of them feels they are NBA ready. HD will need to learn to have a strong base sprinkled with elites. Those days are fading quickly. Also, he played for a title game with veteran players by today's standard. And he was playing with a hot team as well. His year 2 should have been way better than it was.

This year to me is the tell for HD. Hopefully he will show the signs as the season progresses

have you guys noticed ingram on the court?…not scoring and passing so much, although that’s been great…he has an nba, old school type feel to his game…he also pushes and prods opponents the entire game.

he reminds me of draymond, cept less asshole, but still a nerve hitter…carolina needs this, desperately.

eta: with a side of robert horry haha

Last edited:
What's the UNC record for points in the 1st half?

I'm sure that's the most points Tennessee has allowed in a half.

Got to see this one in person for the first time in years! What a first half! Ball movement. Defense and turnovers. Fast breaks and threes falling. Second was a little nerve wracking but a big win over a solid opponent. Dean Dome is looking really good; I don't think the four big widescreen displays were there the last time I was in the building, and they used them for a lot of entertaining crowd activities during the timeouts. Didn't seem packed to capacity but the students held it down and were almost all in white for the white out. Couldn't have asked for a better evening with my dad.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT