ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

First of all, I'm not complaining...much anyway. I just wonder if this is going to be Hube's hallmark. Run them out of the gym in the first half, and then desperately hang on in the second.

First of all, I'm not complaining...much anyway. I just wonder if this is going to be Hube's hallmark. Run them out of the gym in the first half, and then desperately hang on in the second.

As good as the first half was the 2nd half was as bad as the 2nd half was good.

Reactions: bluetoe

tenor.gif

It's not all that shocking that a top 10 team that plays awesome defense managed to make the game close in the 2nd half. The same can be said about the 2022 Baylor team. This happens all the time to other teams, you just probably don't follow other teams closely. UConn was crushing a good Texas team then let them back in it in the 2nd half. Arizona was up 10 at the half against MSU and let them take a 3 point lead late in the 2nd half before eventually winning. Zags were up 5 against Purdue at the half then lost by 10. Shit, all this happened in only in the past week of basketball.

Also, did you forget us being down to Arkansas by 3 at the end of the first half then outscoring them 52-34 in the 2nd half?

If this happened vs. our Lady of Holy Name, then fine. But Tennessee is awesome and we literally just had a monster 2nd half in our game before to beat another top 25 team.

I think the nits are being picked at.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
^ It's a testament to Rick Barnes coaching. I don't like that guy but he's tough minded. A lot of teams mail it in down 20+ on the road to a blueblood program. UT seemed to be just warming up. I'm glad the game ended when it did. Had it gone on another 5 minutes, I would have been really worried.

^ It's a testament to Rick Barnes coaching. I don't like that guy but he's tough minded. A lot of teams mail it in down 20+ on the road to a blueblood program. UT seemed to be just warming up. I'm glad the game ended when it did. Had it gone on another 5 minutes, I would have been really worried.
you also have to thank whatshisname for turning his ankle over.

It's not all that shocking that a top 10 team that plays awesome defense managed to make the game close in the 2nd half. The same can be said about the 2022 Baylor team. This happens all the time to other teams, you just probably don't follow other teams closely. UConn was crushing a good Texas team then let them back in it in the 2nd half. Arizona was up 10 at the half against MSU and let them take a 3 point lead late in the 2nd half before eventually winning. Zags were up 5 against Purdue at the half then lost by 10. Shit, all this happened in only in the past week of basketball.

Also, did you forget us being down to Arkansas by 3 at the end of the first half then outscoring them 52-34 in the 2nd half?

If this happened vs. our Lady of Holy Name, then fine. But Tennessee is awesome and we literally just had a monster 2nd half in our game before to beat another top 25 team.

I think the nits are being picked at.
I'm not picking nits just because of that one game. I'm not picking nits at all, and as I said I'm not complaining. What I did is called 'musing'. No need to thank me, I'm always happy to help someone make an addition to their vocabulary.

You're right I don't follow other teams very much but I follow ours as much as possible, and if you'll recall we've had a number of games where we kicked ass in the first half and struggled to hang on in the second. Or maybe you're only aware of this years schedule.

the second half had its moments, thankfully, but the first half was like going back in time for me to some games of old where the dominance was unrelenting. In the first half I was actually wondering if we might collapse in the second, because it's happened like that a few times before.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
The freethrow shooting % from our guards and primary big-man are a breath of fresh air. That's going to be big if we can keep it up.

i haven’t style-pointed wins since 2009, so i’m not starting back with this squad.

they did what they had to do…kinda felt like i knew what we had with ryan and cadeau(because how could you not) but so impressed with ingram and washington, much needed after last year…was hoping for 3-2 through these five…now, who knows.

I also doubt we're good enough defensively for 40 minutes to stack two +20 halves against good teams. This looks like one of those teams that can score with just about anybody. But they need to defend well in key stretches of the game, as opposed to 40 minutes.

I also doubt we're good enough defensively for 40 minutes to stack two +20 halves against good teams. This looks like one of those teams that can score with just about anybody. But they need to defend well in key stretches of the game, as opposed to 40 minutes.
Dean always handled it by switching defenses, and it was like an art and it was usually effective. I'm not much of an x's and o's basketball guy, and I wonder why we don't do the same.

ETA...I know sometimes a zone just makes sense given the other teams offense, but I think sometimes Dean would switch just to give them a different face in order to discombobulate them when they were on a run.

Dean always handled it by switching defenses, and it was like an art and it was usually effective. I'm not much of an x's and o's basketball guy, and I wonder why we don't do the same.

ETA...I know sometimes a zone just makes sense given the other teams offense, but I think sometimes Dean would switch just to give them a different face in order to discombobulate them when they were on a run.
We have a small backcourt that doesn't stop the ball too well and don't have a rim protector. It's hard to do anything all that unique with that combo.

I've mainly followed UNC basketball since Roy arrived, but off the top of my head, Dean's teams looked like they always had really good rim defenders: Perkins, Montross, Wallace, Haywood (not sure he played under Dean). Also, we had an elite wing defender the last 3 years, yet our defenses were pretty mediocre relative to NCAA Tournament quality teams. Not a surprise if the on-ball defense dips a bit.

But this is a team whose offense needs to help its defense IMO. Not a team built to win games 65-60. Built to win games 82-75.

Last edited:
We have a small backcourt that doesn't stop the ball too well and don't have a rim protector. It's hard to do anything all that unique with that combo.

I've mainly followed UNC basketball since Roy arrived, but off the top of my head, Dean's teams looked like they always had really good rim defenders: Perkins, Montross, Wallace, Haywood (not sure he played under Dean). Also, we had an elite wing defender the last 3 years, yet our defenses were pretty mediocre relative to NCAA Tournament quality teams. Not a surprise if the on-ball defense dips a bit.

But this is a team whose offense needs to help its defense IMO. Not a team built to win games 65-60. Built to win games 82-75.
Dean was playing different defenses well before the time period you're referring to. The present team might not have the best personnel for a zone, but the lack of zone defenses has been so for a while. I should have mentioned that. I'm just pondering and trying to pick up some knowledge. Thanks for the help.

@bluetoe so much for always dominating teams in the first half and sucking in the 2nd.
First of all, I didn't say 'always', I said I wonder if that will be his hallmark. And you choose to say 'sucking', while I actually said end up 'having to hang on'. As a matter of fact, we DID some hanging on late in the second half of this last game. And as I pointed out to you, I was only musing and not complaining or drawing any conclusion. I said as much in my original post, and reiterated that in response to you.

Furthermore, one game doesn't dispel the notion I presented. A number of games is what caused me to present the original question, although you formed your initial response as though I was drawing some conclusion based on only one single game. But now YOU are drawing a conclusion based on one game.

I don't mind a spicy response and some heated back-and-forth, but I'd much rather you just learn how to read first, and maybe use a little reason instead of getting your panties all wadded up.

First of all, I didn't say 'always', I said I wonder if that will be his hallmark. And you choose to say 'sucking', while I actually said end up 'having to hang on'. As a matter of fact, we DID some hanging on late in the second half of this last game. And as I pointed out to you, I was only musing and not complaining or drawing any conclusion. I said as much in my original post, and reiterated that in response to you.

Furthermore, one game doesn't dispel the notion I presented. A number of games is what caused me to present the original question, although you formed your initial response as though I was drawing some conclusion based on only one single game. But now YOU are drawing a conclusion based on one game.

I don't mind a spicy response and some heated back-and-forth, but I'd much rather you just learn how to read first, and maybe use a little reason instead of getting your panties all wadded up.
I didn’t read any of this.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
We’re not quite ready to beat a team like UConn but we’re not that far away. Cormac Ryan needs to start hitting shots. Cadeau is only going to get more comfortable.

We’re not quite ready to beat a team like UConn but we’re not that far away. Cormac Ryan needs to start hitting shots. Cadeau is only going to get more comfortable.

It's like they work on fixing issues that were a problem last year so hard that they forget make sure they handle fundamentals of a good basketball team like rebounding.

This team is like a Rubik's cube you fix one issue and it messes something else up, and that is a coaching issue. With the state of college basketball now with the transfer portal, NIL, and trying to stick 4 new starters in the line up every year it's going to be tough for a rookie coach with zero HC experience.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying that but I have zero confidence in Hubert, and his staff.

This year is better than last year but I think that's just a matter of having more talent.

not understanding why we don’t press more…hubert throws one in yesterday vs a young team and it works…he did it once, smh.

It's like they work on fixing issues that were a problem last year so hard that they forget make sure they handle fundamentals of a good basketball team like rebounding.

This team is like a Rubik's cube you fix one issue and it messes something else up, and that is a coaching issue. With the state of college basketball now with the transfer portal, NIL, and trying to stick 4 new starters in the line up every year it's going to be tough for a rookie coach with zero HC experience.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying that but I have zero confidence in Hubert, and his staff.

This year is better than last year but I think that's just a matter of having more talent.
rather than more talent, I think it's a matter of having more cohesion, even if that doesn't look like the case sometimes (like yesterday's game).

rather than more talent, I think it's a matter of having more cohesion, even if that doesn't look like the case sometimes (like yesterday's game).

I hope Im wrong but I see this team having 11 or 12 losses and a bubble team when it's all said and done.

I hope Im wrong but I see this team having 11 or 12 losses and a bubble team when it's all said and done.
I haven't gotten that feel just yet, but I'm certainly not going to be surprised if that's the case or if it isn't. Who knows at this point? Hubes has demonstrated a wild card ability to make lemonade out of lemons and then lemons out of lemonade that can't be discounted.

Sad day. Eric was the face of the program when I really got into UNC hoops (and was a senior when I hit campus). I didn't know him, but he just seemed like a good, regular dude, i even liked his analysis as part of the tar heel network. I remember the sun and sky being blocked when he rode by on the ten-speed, looking like a bear on a bike.

So I will come here to get maybe some normal discussion about what everyone's thoughts on the basketball team is 11 games in?

We won and a win is a win but I'm still not sold on how good we are or can be.

So I will come here to get maybe some normal discussion about what everyone's thoughts on the basketball team is 11 games in?

We won and a win is a win but I'm still not sold on how good we are or can be.
not sure anyone is “sold”, but this team last year loses to oklahoma and arkansas…i believe the break is better and they aren’t so reliant on three guys; love, davis, bacot.

love ingram, he’s a missing piece that’s been needed… he’s a dawg, we finally have one.

wish we would press more and i want to see more of high and trimble.

the league is weird this year…who is better than carolina right now and how do you know?

Last year was a lost year. They were preseason number one and never should have been, and then they fell straight out of the top 25. This year they started more reasonable, and they're in the top 15 or top 10 depending on what you look at. It looks like a much more cohesive team. I think the transfers are much more enthusiastic and fit better. I think the ones who needed to transfer did transfer, I think love being gone is helpful. I don't know what the ceiling is, but I know it's higher than it was last year.

If anyone cares Gary is reaching full meltdown mode in the quick stuff thread on THR.

He has threatened to stop doing write ups, and he is getting praises from his hype men to please don't go.

• Haha
Reactions: gteeitup
If anyone cares Gary is reaching full meltdown mode in the quick stuff thread on THR.

He has threatened to stop doing write ups, and he is getting praises from his hype men to please don't go.

Gary is someone deriving significance from posting write ups to earn praise from random people on the internet. Used to hate the guy. Now I just feel bad for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT