ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Wow... maybe pro football is better. At least when they're getting paid to play in the NFL, they can't quit on the team in a big game.
this came up on a talk show from an espn talking head…it’s not happening and i feel pretty confident that drake’s path to the nfl is clearer remaining at carolina in the same system.

throw in the fact that he’s tied to the school in many ways anyway…him ducking out for a payday in a more difficult league would be stupid.

Reactions: strummingram
this came up on a talk show from an espn talking head…it’s not happening and i feel pretty confident that drake’s path to the nfl is clearer remaining at carolina in the same system.

throw in the fact that he’s tied to the school in many ways anyway…him ducking out for a payday in a more difficult league would be stupid.
maybe so... I would think it would help contribute to a lot of disillusionment and disinterest in the sport, if this becomes common practice.

ETA: he could never be seen in NC, in public, again.

i would agree if he hadnt committed to Bama to begin with. not sure how much the family ties, etc will actually play into it. i think UNC will have to win a large bidding war.

maybe so... I would think it would help contribute to a lot of disillusionment and disinterest in the sport, if this becomes common practice.

it's already common practice, as UNC fans we just havent had the quality of player for it to impact us. likely wont happen very often.

That would almost wrap up my concern for college football. NIL may benefit building talented teams, but the beauty of commitment is fading very fast. NIL will eventually destroy collegiate sports. Bacots off-season shows

i would agree if he hadnt committed to Bama to begin with. not sure how much the family ties, etc will actually play into it. i think UNC will have to win a large bidding war.
he de-committed from alabama then committed to carolina…i’d argue that strengthens his bond with carolina even more.

i just don’t believe this is where it’s going…i’m waaaaaay more concerned with incoming freshman and high schoolers deciding…that’s where carolina is in a difficult position.

he de-committed from alabama then committed to carolina…i’d argue that strengthens his bond with carolina even more.

i just don’t believe this is where it’s going…i’m waaaaaay more concerned with incoming freshman and high schoolers deciding…that’s where carolina is in a difficult position.
right, my point is that he committed to a SEC school before coming to UNC ... so it shouldnt be shocking if he goes back the other way. if the family tie stuff is so important, he would have been UNC all the way.

i agree about the recruiting difficulty. cant imagine trying to recruit/coach in this mess.

I would agree with you if it was something like a million. 10 is a lot different. His dad ruined his career because of an injury. That's the type of money you should probably take and I honestly couldn't be mad at him for that.

I would agree with you if it was something like a million. 10 is a lot different. His dad ruined his career because of an injury. That's the type of money you should probably take and I honestly couldn't be mad at him for that.
it's definitely going to be in the $6 to $10 million range. Bama, Tenn, Ohio State are all going to make a run, along with several others.

it's definitely going to be in the $6 to $10 million range. Bama, Tenn, Ohio State are all going to make a run, along with several others.
Imagine the pressure on that kid (any kid). It's unprecedented and they have to deliver, bigly! If they don't, they can't show their face in two states again!

I didn't realize that NIL could evolve, or devolve, into what are essentially yearly pro contracts.

Maybe it will ease-in slowly and that way people will be more likely to accept it. I dunno... Americans have to have their distractions/sports. They've been doing it under-the-table forever. I guess people have to decide whether or not they can handle the truth of their entertainment.

I don't think even Mack could raise that much to keep him.
meh... just as well. If UNC can't pay for the best team, they won't get it. If college sports is going to be like the NFL before the draft (1930s), then we can expect the same thing. The best players go to the highest bidder. It's interesting that a state like Alabama could manage to accumulate enough wealth to pay for the best team! Seems like Texas, Stanford, Notre Dame, would always have the best teams, by wealth of their schools. Even Ivy League schools, could start buying teams.

ETA: And, if the UNC donors don't want to pay for the one guy that is clearly the best investment, they don't deserve it!

When Mark Maye played football, things were much different. And, I agree about the difference between 1 and 10.

Being mad at Drake may would be misplaced aggression anyway.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
I didn't realize that NIL could evolve, or devolve, into what are essentially yearly pro contracts.

Maybe it will ease-in slowly and that way people will be more likely to accept it. I dunno... Americans have to have their distractions/sports. They've been doing it under-the-table forever. I guess people have to decide whether or not they can handle the truth of their entertainment.
an incoming QB recruit (freshman) to a top 10 program is getting $8m :eek::eek::eek:

From what I can tell that ten million number just came from David Pollack speculating about him hitting the portal and possibly ending up at tOSU.

He’s definitely a high value target though. There’s probably a lot of businesses in NC that would love to incorporate him in their advertising strategy though.

At a certain point it becomes a distraction though. You can only shoot so many commercials before it starts cutting into time in the film room or leading player only workouts during the off-season.

From what I can tell that ten million number just came from David Pollack speculating about him hitting the portal and possibly ending up at tOSU.

He’s definitely a high value target though. There’s probably a lot of businesses in NC that would love to incorporate him in their advertising strategy though.

At a certain point it becomes a distraction though. You can only shoot so many commercials before it starts cutting into time in the film room or leading player only workouts during the off-season.
it’s an espn talking head…he’s also said the vols qb got eight.

it was actually the incoming freshman that reportedly got eight…that’s my only issue with nil, what can a school do for you to get there, not to keep you there.

Reactions: uncboy10
rumor about dd going to nebraska…lol, okay nebraska, you want to be serious about football, don’t hire big game dave.

I think you're right. He's been average at best these last two games.
I felt bad making the comment in the game thread that he hasn't really played well the last two games, but he hasn't really played well the last two games. Of course he doesn't have a whole lot around him to help. And it's just going to get worse in the next two games.

Reactions: bleeduncblue

#Bacot!!!

Is UT or any other school allowed to offer NIL during the season? I thought the rules didn't allow for that.
through the portal or hs athletes?

it’s interesting, i just received a text from the u of scarolina that they are already capitalizing on “our state” after beating clemson…if you donate 31.30 all proceeds go to the football program and you get a tee shirt.

wonder if unc is doing anything like this?

through the portal or hs athletes?

it’s interesting, i just received a text from the u of scarolina that they are already capitalizing on “our state” after beating clemson…if you donate 31.30 all proceeds go to the football program and you get a tee shirt.

wonder if unc is doing anything like this?
Not sure if HS counts like contacting maye during the season. Seems like saying, hey come play for me and I'll give you 10 mil would be a hugh distraction for the last few games

I know someone that was close to Drake's recruitment. His family won't keep him at UNC. They like the idea of him being there, but absolutely won't pressure him to stay if he wants to go elsewhere.

Not sure if HS counts like contacting maye during the season. Seems like saying, hey come play for me and I'll give you 10 mil would be a hugh distraction for the last few games
only rule i know that is concrete is unless a student athlete is in the portal, no school is allowed to approach or offer.

Just wanted to add, wasn't trying to come of as an insider or anything like that earlier. Gave up on that a long time ago. Felt like it was kinda weird to get wrapped up in a teenager's business. But anyone plugged into HS ball at all hears stuff. Kids tend to be more open with teammates and coaches. With Drake, a lot of people knew he'd be good at an early age. So, the deal with Alabama wasn't a huge surprise, but I think the vibe everyone got was that he'd eventually end up at UNC. By all accounts his family is very professional when it comes to stuff like that though, and it was ultimately his decision. I don't think this would be any different. He's going to do whatever he wants to do..personally not losing any sleep over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT