ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Our OC job is certainly attractive for next year. Beyond that, not so much. The biggest problem when it comes to getting coaches at UNC has always been money. They don't want to spend it to get a top level staff.
Cheap bastards. I admit that I have no idea what the budget is at UNC. I think I heard that they gave HD 16 million bucks! That's going to hurt the Xmas shopping fund.

Cheap bastards. I admit that I have no idea what the budget is at UNC. I think I heard that they gave HD 16 million bucks! That's going to hurt the Xmas shopping fund.
Not sure what Davis got, but I'm sure it's extremely low comparatively. This is a great opportunity for Mack to use his power to get some big money for assistants. Not sure he really cares about getting someone who would command a lot. I wish he would let Chizik and Warren hire their own staff, though. I think you see some improvement if they could do everything they wanted to do.

Reactions: strummingram
He entered the portal.

I'm not happy if we're losing the system, because I think it's really good for us. But his gametime creativity had me pulling my hair out. I wonder why the lateral move.

He’s taking a “lateral” move because Mack refuses to address the defense. He doesn’t want to have to score 45+ points per game.

And lateral move is generous. Wisconsin is a better program. I get it, same position. But it’s a better program in a better conference.

I’m actually totally good with it. Longo sucks and has a stupid haircut.

I’m glad for this obviously but I do have question the decision.

But it warms my soul to know the Maye family is happy.
I found it interesting that he announced he's coming back not too long after Longo says he's leaving. Tells me a lot about Longo. Well, confirmed what I suspected is a better way to say it.

He entered the portal.

I'm not happy if we're losing the system, because I think it's really good for us. But his gametime creativity had me pulling my hair out. I wonder why the lateral move.
the concept shouldn’t be going anywhere because of the qb…the design may improve though, as it should.

it’s going to take wisky two years to adjust to this recruiting so by then either longo or fickell might be gone…i had heard longo was auburn bound, so this is surprising.

it’s too bad mullen is going to scarolina because he’d be perfect in ch.

eta: or maybe not scarolina

Last edited:
the fb boards are like ootb now lol…

“sky is falling, no it’s not, what sky, where is that sky, he’s never seen a sky, that’s not sky…”

Reactions: Archer2
Early Longo we didn't like his RZ and 3rd down calls. But IMO things got better on 3rd down even vs good D's - maybe some of that was Drake Maye and Downs on the field at the same time. RZ was still an issue. So i wasn't in love with Longo, and we haven't seem him with a mortal QB yet, but we could easily do worse. Fickell is a defensive guy, but he clearly liked something about Longo.

Can Chip somebody and Randy whats-his-name fix the physicality of our Run gm without losing too much on the lights-out passing side? Bigger question: Will they fix any of the culture of softness on bosides? If not then until we have some other answer it is hard to get too hopeful.

Reactions: strummingram
Can Chip somebody and Randy whats-his-name fix the physicality of our Run gm without losing too much on the lights-out passing side? Bigger question: Will they fix any of the culture of softness on bosides? If not then until we have some other answer it is hard to get too hopeful.
I think the only way that gets fixed is with a new S&C staff. They are the only common thread with the lines.

Reactions: Archer2 and blazers
i don’t know why, but i think carolina plays well tonight and wins.

i’d probably even pound the under at 75.5

eta: hmmmm. still hit that under.

Last edited:
That game epitomizes Mack Brown's 2nd Carolina tenure.

We looked much better defensively than pretty much any point this season. Until the end, when it counted most. Stupid to kick the FG and go up just 6 points. Kind of forced to because of the horrific playcalling on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs inside the 20 yard line though. 4th and 12 wasn't ideal for going for it but probably should have anyway. Oregon's kicking game is as suspect as ours. And then for Mack to waste our last timeout was so egregious. If we had that, we might have been able to kick a FG and win as time expired. We had that chance anyway but Grampa Mack decided to throw a Hail Mary instead.

Gonna be hard to build depth when every game is a nail biter down to the last second.

Saw some stats about how little we subbed everywhere but DL, and the O skills positions.

And saw stats on margin of victory in mack 2.0, very few blowouts in either direction cuz the O is good enough to score on anybody while the D is bad enough let anybody keep up and keep it close.

Gonna be hard to build depth when every game is a nail biter down to the last second.

Saw some stats about how little we subbed everywhere but DL, and the O skills positions.

And saw stats on margin of victory in mack 2.0, very few blowouts in either direction cuz the O is good enough to score on anybody while the D is bad enough let anybody keep up and keep it close.
You build depth by bringing in talent and then develop them in practice and have a few reps during the game. We were bringing in the talent, but not doing the development part.

Reactions: Archer2 and bluetoe
Yeah and just for some perspective...

According to rivals we have 7 4 stars in the 23 class. UGA has almost three times that many with 20, plus a pair of 5 stars. They are bringing in over 3 times as many top level recruits in a single class.

That's not how you close the gap.

According to rivals we have 7 4 stars in the 23 class. UGA has almost three times that many with 20, plus a pair of 5 stars. They are bringing in over 3 times as many top level recruits in a single class.

On paper we should have an above average DL right now. It's hard for me to believe almost all of those guys were busts. Cross needs to go and S&C needs to change their approach or go too. I doubt either one happens.

you close the gap by making the most of the talent you have, which attracts more talent. I don't care how gifted you are as a recruiter, recruits see (and they of course are told by other recruiters) when talent isn't living up to potential. They want to go where they can develop.

IMO, we are weak as hell in player development. Of course, that isn't just my opinion.

On paper we should have an above average DL right now. It's hard for me to believe almost all of those guys were busts. Cross needs to go and S&C needs to change their approach or go too. I doubt either one happens.

We should have a great DL based on the rankings. Couldn't agree more.

you close the gap by making the most of the talent you have, which attracts more talent. I don't care how gifted you are as a recruiter, recruits see (and they of course are told by other recruiters) when talent isn't living up to potential. They want to go where they can develop.

IMO, we are weak as hell in player development. Of course, that isn't just my opinion.

It's true that winning inspires more talent to come. But it's a vicious cycle because it's extremely difficult to win at the top level without elite talent. And frankly, a dominant majority of elite recruits end up at the schools that are already at that level. The top 5-10 spots in the recruiting rankings are pretty much a lock every year.

This is probably what has so many Carolina football fans checked out. Mack put together a couple of really great classes, including the two best QB's in program history and we've totally failed to capitalize on it. It's even more frustrating considering the fact that the ACC has pretty much been a one team league the last 7 or 8 years and that team finally stumbled for a few years and left the door open. There was a real shot for Carolina to establish itself as a real competitor and they totally shit the bed.

You build depth by bringing in talent and then develop them in practice and have a few reps during the game. We were bringing in the talent, but not doing the development part.
We're seemingly missing the dev in practice but we're definitely missing the few reps during gm. Game reps are something that just can't be replicated in practice... And the live bullets give guys (and coaches) tape to review, etc for points of improvement (development).

It's true that winning inspires more talent to come. But it's a vicious cycle because it's extremely difficult to win at the top level without elite talent. And frankly, a dominant majority of elite recruits end up at the schools that are already at that level. The top 5-10 spots in the recruiting rankings are pretty much a lock every year.

This is probably what has so many Carolina football fans checked out. Mack put together a couple of really great classes, including the two best QB's in program history and we've totally failed to capitalize on it. It's even more frustrating considering the fact that the ACC has pretty much been a one team league the last 7 or 8 years and that team finally stumbled for a few years and left the door open. There was a real shot for Carolina to establish itself as a real competitor and they totally shit the bed.
the point isn't that winning brings in more talent, which is of course true. The point is that a school that can and does draw very good talent....a school like UNC....doesn't capitalize on that talent if it doesn't develop that talent. When you take a sure-fire first round QB, for example, and allow him to regress to a late-round level of play, future recruits will have that shoved in their faces by enemy recruiters, and they will see that it can't be denied. A team that can't recruit as well but develops their players will become a team that attracts more talent just as a team that wins will. A player placed in the NFL is a drawing card for the team that puts him there, especially if he plays.

As I said in another post, Carolina has whiffed on many opportunities to advance to another level, for one reason or another. One of the reasons now is a failure to develop players to their potential.

We are what we are, I am reserved to that fact!

I mean we lost to ESU in the movie The Program, and they didn't have Kane Lattimer or Mack!

You have to laugh to keep from crying!

• Haha
Reactions: gunslingerdick
the point isn't that winning brings in more talent, which is of course true. The point is that a school that can and does draw very good talent....a school like UNC....doesn't capitalize on that talent if it doesn't develop that talent. When you take a sure-fire first round QB, for example, and allow him to regress to a late-round level of play, future recruits will have that shoved in their faces by enemy recruiters, and they will see that it can't be denied. A team that can't recruit as well but develops their players will become a team that attracts more talent just as a team that wins will. A player placed in the NFL is a drawing card for the team that puts him there, especially if he plays.

As I said in another post, Carolina has whiffed on many opportunities to advance to another level, for one reason or another. One of the reasons now is a failure to develop players to their potential.
Very sad, but true.

Reactions: bluetoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT