ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Another reason this was such an important recruitment. UNC has lost out on a lot of good prospects from WF in the last few years. Sounds like there were some bridges that needed mending, so I hope this is a sign that's happening.
I really wanted Lawrence. They had a RB I think that I would have loved, but neither really seemed interested. I don't know the back stories to those. Maybe you are correct, and this will be a nice relationship in the future.

Another reason this was such an important recruitment. UNC has lost out on a lot of good prospects from WF in the last few years. Sounds like there were some bridges that needed mending, so I hope this is a sign that's happening.
Including Bryce Love, the RB who will probably start for Stanford against us.

in typical carolina irony, bryce will have a career afternoon
tenor.gif

I know it's basketball season but I think there's like a bowl game or something today.

Heels with a strong start, forcing a three and out then driving for a TD. Mitch looks good but not much doing yet on the ground.

Reactions: toophly1124
He has two national championship rings that say otherwise.

R.J. Prince is absolutely killing us today. Two false starts in the first half and Mitch is running for his life because Prince can't block anybody.
Yeah... he had Cam Newton that ONE year his team won a championship. And, how long before that same team cut bait and sent him packing?

well, i just finished watching...just some observations...

prince, hatton, and sweet suck...how the f are those guys going to be solid starters next year?

trubinsklee needs to go...he cannot get any better, and might actually regress with this line and weapons he has returning.

other than a handful of plays when they couldn't wrap up or grab a ball, the defense was fine...their physicality helped today, was key...stanford is more physical than any team we played this year, so props to them.

and i like players with an edge, but williams needs to chill...the helmet penalty was stupid.

i mentioned solomon thomas in another thread...that guy is a player and carolina needs those guys...naz played well as did drennon, carney, stewart, and dez...that type of effort is needed weekly if carolina is to rise to another level.

I'm not an NFL general manager, so, I obviously don't see the sure-fire NFL potential in Trubisky... at this point. As gtee stated, he may have reached his ceiling in the college game. If that's the case? I have no idea how he will ever compete in the NFL. I look at a QB like Kirk Cousins, who was drafted in the 4th round? He played for Michigan State. Is Trubisky at the same level he was 4 years ago? Maybe so. I dunno for sure.

I know he pissed this game away, big time. He turned it over 3 times in a bowl game... his ONLY bowl game. That loss was almost entirely on him. A pick-6, another INT on our side of the field, and the fumble (not totally his fault). Regardless, the latter part of this season was lackluster at best. 3 consecutive losses? Losing the opener to yet another SEC team. An embarrassing loss at home in the hurricane. And, two of our stand-out road wins were by-the-skin-of-our-teeth, last second wins.

I have serious doubts that Fed & Co. will ever match 2015's result.

You forgot to finish your homework.

Head coaching record

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Iowa State Cyclones
(Big 12 Conference) (2007–2008)
2007 Iowa State 3–9 2–6 T–5th (North)
2008 Iowa State 2–10 0–8 6th (North)
Iowa State: 5–19 2–14
Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2009–2012)
2009 Auburn 8–5 3–5 T–4th (Western) W Outback
2010 Auburn 14–0 8–0 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2011 Auburn 8–5 4–4 4th (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2012 Auburn 3–9 0–8 7th (Western)
Auburn: 33–19 15–17
Total: 38–38

If you want to give him credit for Mack Brown's 2006 Texas team, that's up to you.

I will concede that CHizik took a defense that gave up 500 yards per game and improved them to giving up 400 yards per game. At that rate, it will only be another 4 years before things become respectable.

Head coaching record

Iowa State Cyclones

If you want to give him credit for Mack Brown's 2006 Texas team, that's up to you.
giphy.gif

Mitch should definitely leave if he didn't play himself out of the top two rounds to close out the season. Shoulda joined Hood and McCaffery on the sidelines so he didn't get exposed. Hope that performance didn't cost him too much money.

I will concede that CHizik took a defense that gave up 500 yards per game and improved them to giving up 400 yards per game. At that rate, it will only be another 4 years before things become respectable.
The most important stat is ppg, but if you want to focus on ypg then yesterday was one of the best games this defense has played.

Head coaching record

Iowa State Cyclones

I forgot Auburn hired the dude with a 5-19 record. I remember it being a controversial pick but sheesh...

The D actually played decently especially in the red zone but that pick six skews the numbers.
The defense did more than enough to win. The offense was the problem, more specifically the play calling. Mitch didn't play great, but he wasn't horrible either. At worst I think he dropped to the second round. It's a pretty weak draft for QB, so he's probably still in the first round and should leave in my opinion.

The defense did more than enough to win. The offense was the problem, more specifically the play calling. Mitch didn't play great, but he wasn't horrible either. At worst I think he dropped to the second round. It's a pretty weak draft for QB, so he's probably still in the first round and should leave in my opinion.
Trubisky had his worst game. 3 turnovers, two of them interceptions- one of them a pick-6 in a bowl game. I guess it depends on what you consider horrible.

Just a reminder the job of a head coach and a coordinator are slightly different. Saying someone is a bad coordinator because they had a bad record as a head coach isn't the best comparison.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Trubisky had his worst game. 3 turnovers, two of them interceptions- one of them a pick-6 in a bowl game. I guess it depends on what you consider horrible.
I think I understand the disconnect. I was thinking you watched every game this year. You obviously missed the UGA and VT games. Yes he had the turnovers, but he also had two touchdowns. One of them was part of a last minute 97 yard drive to give us a chance to win. It wasn't great, but I don't think it killed his draft stock.

I think I understand the disconnect. I was thinking you watched every game this year. You obviously missed the UGA and VT games. Yes he had the turnovers, but he also had two touchdowns. One of them was part of a last minute 97 yard drive to give us a chance to win. It wasn't great, but I don't think it killed his draft stock.
Well, the VT game was played in a monsoon. I don't know if that's the best barometer to gauge a QB... or any player, for that matter. UNC still got bitch-slapped at home in the monsoon.

I'll give him credit for making it close at the very end. But, that's been a lot of the games this year. It came down to the last drive, last second, last score. I don't personally care if Trubisky stays or goes. But, I don't see how this one season as a starter has proven without a doubt that he's NFL-ready. I wish him well, regardless.

Chizik is a lou-zer!
I obviously don't see the sure-fire NFL potential in Trubisky... at this point . . . That loss was almost entirely on him.
No offense, Strum, but you are probably the worst evaluator of talent on this message board. Plus you seem to understand little about the game.

I still remember the first time I read your posts here. It was almost six years ago to the day -- Thursday night, December 30, 2010, to be exact -- on the football board as Carolina took on Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. With the Tar Heels trailing and time running out, things looked grim. And if I remember correctly (and I know I do), you really carried on in the game thread, prematurely throwing both Butch Davis and T.J. Yates under the bus and calling them out for their pathetic performances, lack of football know-how, etc., etc.

Of course we won the game in double overtime while you silently pulled your foot out of your mouth. Ever since I've taken your football commentary with a small grain of salt.

No offense, Strum, but you are probably the worst evaluator of talent on this message board. Plus you seem to understand little about the game.

I still remember the first time I read your posts here. It was almost six years ago to the day -- Thursday night, December 30, 2010, to be exact -- on the football board as Carolina took on Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. With the Tar Heels trailing and time running out, things looked grim. And if I remember correctly (and I know I do), you really carried on in the game thread, prematurely throwing both Butch Davis and T.J. Yates under the bus and calling them out for their pathetic performances, lack of football know-how, etc., etc.

Of course we won the game in double overtime while you silently pulled your foot out of your mouth. Ever since I've taken your football commentary with a small grain of salt.
I'm glad I had such a profound, lasting effect on you. You and Dick have that in common.

I think I've admitted, multiple times, that I'm not an NFL GM, not a coach, not an "evaluator." I see what I see and I state my observations. Thanks for watching.

P.S. I barely even remember that Music City Bowl. I remember the Tennessee QB slashing his throat at the bench.

that philosophy is great if you're efficient and control the clock...homie don't play that
Actually I think the exact opposite is true. When you run a fast-paced offense you are going to almost always give the other team more chances, which is going to mean giving up more yards. But if they don't score it doesn't matter how many yards you give up. I would have no problem giving up 400 ypg if we only gave up 20 ppg. We played excellent in the red zone yesterday. That's what we need to win games.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT