ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Just curious what do you guys expect from your football program.IMO both of our programs are pretty close to being maxed out. The reason for my belief is as follows.Our stadiums are relatively small.Most big time recruits want to to play in front of 80,00 plus each game.North Carolina normally has between 50 to 60 D-1 players in HS each year as opposed to the 200 plus in areas such as FL.The last and in my mind the most important Football will never be as important as Basketball to our respective fanbases

Just curious what do you guys expect from your football program.IMO both of our programs are pretty close to being maxed out. The reason for my belief is as follows.Our stadiums are relatively small.Most big time recruits want to to play in front of 80,00 plus each game.North Carolina normally has between 50 to 60 D-1 players in HS each year as opposed to the 200 plus in areas such as FL.The last and in my mind the most important Football will never be as important as Basketball to our respective fanbases

We could do a little better on Ws and Ls simply by becoming a more disciplined and focused team and I think Fedora will be able to get us there. But I don't see UNC becoming a perennial top 10 program under any circumstances, although I expect we could end up in the top 10 every 3 or 4 years.

So is @TarHeelNation11 still alive? Haven't seen him on the boards since before the moo game. I hope he hasn't gone on a week long drinking spree.
I've still got rental property on the edge of the cliff.

**** football. That was such a pathetic ending to the season. Beat an AWFUL Duke and Moo team, and you get to 10 wins AND go to the ****ing ACCCG. LOL at State retaining Doeren though. They truly care about one thing and one thing only.

I've still got rental property on the edge of the cliff.

**** football. That was such a pathetic ending to the season. Beat an AWFUL Duke and Moo team, and you get to 10 wins AND go to the ****ing ACCCG. LOL at State retaining Doeren though. They truly care about one thing and one thing only.

State couldn't afford to axe Dohreen if they wanted to.

Just curious what do you guys expect from your football program.
After this season my expectations are going to be that we will always be a slightly above average program. 7-8 wins a year and some shit bowl that no one cares about. I hope we can be better than that, but this year has made me realize that raised expectations for UNC football is nothing short of insanity.

.Our stadiums are relatively small.
I wouldn't say it's small. Kenan holds 63k which ranks 6th in the ACC. That's a decent size outside of SEC schools and blueblood programs.

The last and in my mind the most important Football will never be as important as Basketball to our respective fanbases
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Our fan base was very amped up during Mack Brown's last couple of years and even when Butch was first hired. It may not ever surpass basketball, but if we could put out a consistent winner it would be a lot closer than many think.

Malike Zaire.

If Mitch is gone, you gotta at least kick the tires on MZ. Would be a nice one-year transition for Surratt (assuming he beats out Elliott and Byrd, which I'm not ready to admit yet, but that's the conventional wisdom).

@Raising Heel you're good with the stats, where is the best place to find # of runs to passes each year under larry?
I poasted the numbers on premium earlier this year. Fine, I'll share them with the unwashed masses here, updated to include the 2016 regular season. Not surprising that 2016 saw the highest percentage of passing plays in the Fedora era:

------------------------------------------------------------

% of Rushing Plays by Season under Fedora:

2012 (Anderson) - 51% ..... 77% RB, 20% QB, 3% Other
2013 (Anderson) - 52% ..... 63% RB, 32% QB, 5% Other
2014 (Littrell) - 49% ..... 53% RB, 41% QB, 6% Other
2015 (Littrell) - 56% ..... 63% RB, 34% QB, 3% Other
2016 (Committee) - 46% ..... 76% RB, 22% QB, 2% Other

Gio alone got 40% of the carries in 2012. Marquise played, but only threw 17 passes compared to 29 carries.

Marquise was our leading rusher in 2013 and 2014. Probably wouldn't have been in 2014 if Hood hadn't gotten injured in the Notre Dame game.

In 2015, Hood and Marquise got 42% and 30% of the carries, respectively.

This year's team needs to go about 80% RB / 15% QB IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: gteeitup
I tried getting your attention in your survival challenge thread.

Sorry for missing your post about Zaire.

There was a reason he was riding the bench. Zaire isn't going to scare anyone with his arm, I'm afraid.

And if what I hear is accurate Mitch's bags are already packed.

I tried getting your attention in your survival challenge thread.

Sorry for missing your post about Zaire.
I meant to respond to that. I've been really busy lately.

There was a reason he was riding the bench. Zaire isn't going to scare anyone with his arm, I'm afraid.

He suffered a season-ending injury in the first week of 2015 and Kiser took over and won the job IIRC

They should be. You don't turn down being a potential top 5 pick in the NFL draft.

Mitch, Hood, Logan, Bug, Switzer, Mack, Crowley, Peterson, Heck, Ferranto, Dez, Weiler, Green, Bart, Naz all gone this year. Basically anyone that did anything good for us. I don't think we're scaring too many teams next year. Mitch would be a fool to stay.

And with that said, I feel I will be eating my hat. I said 6 weeks ago that I would eat my hat if Mitch went top 20. So any recommendations for some sauces that might help it go down a little easier would be appreciated.

Reactions: heelbent
15% maybe? I don't know why Logan Byrd or Chazz Surratt would go anywhere. Zaire would be a one-year player. LB and CS still will have four full seasons of eligibility starting next season.
Some of these kid's egos are pretty big in todays world and they start whining if they don't start from the first day. Another player means more competition and could lower their chances of starting. I don't know our guys personalities well enough to know if they are that type of player, so that's why I asked.

Mitch, Hood, Logan, Bug, Switzer, Mack, Crowley, Peterson, Heck, Ferranto, Dez, Weiler, Green, Bart, Naz all gone this year.
Do you know for a fact that Hood is gone? I'm sure his stock slipped some this year. If he is projected in the first four rounds he should probably go, but anything later than that I would think he might stay.

So any recommendations for some sauces that might help it go down a little easier would be appreciated.
9214019b89ca779bf9df7cfeb6f7b966.jpg

Do you know for a fact that Hood is gone? I'm sure his stock slipped some this year. If he is projected in the first four rounds he should probably go, but anything later than that I would think he might stay.

9214019b89ca779bf9df7cfeb6f7b966.jpg

I expect to see Hood here next year.

No. But with everyone else leaving, especially 3 guys on the O-line, why would he want to come back?
Well, if he is project to be a 6th round draft pick then there wouldn't be much reason to go other than health concerns. I don't know his personal situation as far as money goes, but if he could move up a couple of rounds by coming back then that would certainly increase his pay. My guess is his workload would be more like 2015 with Mitch gone and so many receivers gone. If that's the case he would have a good shot at moving up a few rounds.

Same goes for Naz.
I'm confused about Naz. There was a report on the home page saying he's leaving, but now there is a tweet saying he is staying. Was the initial report wrong or did he change his mind?

Well, if he is project to be a 6th round draft pick then there wouldn't be much reason to go other than health concerns. I don't know his personal situation as far as money goes, but if he could move up a couple of rounds by coming back then that would certainly increase his pay. My guess is his workload would be more like 2015 with Mitch gone and so many receivers gone. If that's the case he would have a good shot at moving up a few rounds.

Yeah, but what kind of success is he going to have running the ball when we have at least 3 new O-lineman, a new QB and no gamebreaking receivers to throw to? Defenses will stack the box and he will be bottled up. I think his draft position slips if he comes back.

I'm confused about Naz. There was a report on the home page saying he's leaving, but now there is a tweet saying he is staying. Was the initial report wrong or did he change his mind?

I've seen nothing on Naz. I just figured with his measurables, he'd be gone.

Yeah, but what kind of success is he going to have running the ball when we have at least 3 new O-lineman, a new QB and no gamebreaking receivers to throw to? Defenses will stack the box and he will be bottled up. I think his draft position slips if he comes back.
True, but if you're close to or at the bottom then you can't slip much. I think the big thing for a running back these days is longevity. They don't stay around that long anymore, so given the fact that Hood has been injured a few times he might want to go ahead and go if he can get drafted. I guess we will find out in a couple of months.

And his backstory (illness). He probably needs to take the money while he can get it.
Good point. I'm just confused as to what is going on. The story is still on the front page, so I'm not sure what to think at this point. Have they been talking about it on premium? If so is there anything you can share right now?

Hood probably will stay, but if he does, one thing he desperately needs to work on if he's going to make it in the NFL is lateral running. He simply can't do it right now. He has no wiggle whatsoever. He runs people over and has good initial burst, that's his skillset. He cannot make people miss at all in open space.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Just because they didn't get burn this year doesn't mean we don't have speed and talent waiting their turn on offense. You may be surprised.

I will be surprised. If they didn't get burn this year, how much can we really expect out of them next year in their first year of real game action?

Hood probably will stay, but if he does, one thing he desperately needs to work on if he's going to make it in the NFL is lateral running. He simply can't do it right now. He has no wiggle whatsoever. He runs people over and has good initial burst, that's his skillset. He cannot make people miss at all in open space.

And his outright speed. He looked slow for most of the year when he was able to get into the open field. When I first saw Hood play, I thought he was a potential Heisman candidate (if used correctly *sigh) and a potential first round selection. He's been a very good back for us but my opinion of his potential has done nothing but drop over the years.

And his outright speed. He looked slow for most of the year when he was able to get into the open field. When I first saw Hood play, I thought he was a potential Heisman candidate (if used correctly *sigh) and a potential first round selection. He's been a very good back for us but my opinion of his potential has done nothing but drop over the years.
Yeah I didn't include top-end speed in my analysis because that's a given at this point. He doesn't have home run speed. Who's the last great or even good NFL RB that didn't? Backs like E. Elliott who have breakaway speed are gamechangers.

it's a passing league now...the trend is to have multiple backs with different attributes...the cowboys are an anomaly right now because the best line in the league...they have four guys that do

is he better than derrick henry is right now?...what about jay ajayi?

getting back to dallas, hood reminds me of alfred morris; zone runner, one cut back, good pass protector.

I will be surprised. If they didn't get burn this year, how much can we really expect out of them next year in their first year of real game action?

Some did play a bit. But they had some really good folks in front of them. My biggest concern is who is gonna be getting the ball to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT