ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Deke Adams hired as DL coach. Followed Fedora from Miss State to UNC then left to go to SC. He was at ECU last year.

Deke Adams hired as DL coach. Followed Fedora from Miss State to UNC then left to go to SC. He was at ECU last year.
As I said on Blitz, it's a solid hire.......because he can recruit. He's not going to win any awards as an X's and O's guy, but I don't think Scott was achieving much on that front either.

I like the hire, especially if he can rekindle the JAX pipeline.

I really don't pay much attention to recruiting stuff. If they show up in Carolina blue, then I'll care about them on the field or court.
I always laugh when people say stuff like this. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football and basketball. I realize that whether you or I follow it doesn't make any difference, but it's pretty damn important.

I really don't pay much attention to recruiting stuff. If they show up in Carolina blue, then I'll care about them on the field or court.
I don't really care about all of the crap leading up to signing day, but I try to follow signing day a little.

I don't really care about all of the crap leading up to signing day, but I try to follow signing day a little.
Signing Day has become way less of an "event" in recent years, due to social media. Not nearly as many folks wait until NSD to make their decision, like they did 5-6 years ago.

Basically, for Carolina, NSD has become "I hope all our commits sign their NLI today like they're supposed to" rather than a "what surprise commits will choose us today?"

Reactions: grillheel
Signing Day has become way less of an "event" in recent years, due to social media. Not nearly as many folks wait until NSD to make their decision, like they did 5-6 years ago.

Basically, for Carolina, NSD has become "I hope all our commits sign their NLI today like they're supposed to" rather than a "what surprise commits will choose us today?"
Yes much less pomp now. But I still like that even in small gatherings someone will still always try and inject some personality into the announcement. I personally enjoyed the hat switch today, that was awesome. Though I've hated it when it was done to us.

I rarely get on social media anymore. It's been over a year since I posted something on Facebook and the only time I get on twitter is to post something on the OOTB account (which is obviously not that much). So, NSD still has some meaning for me.

As for this class, it's not an elite class by any means and I make no bones about that. But it is a good class, with basically no "filler" players. Pretty much every guy in this class, save for one or two, will have an opportunity to earn playing time fairly early on.

Guys with the potential to play right away for the 2017 season are:

- 3*** RB Michael Carter from Navarre, FL. Shifty, fast, elusive, allergic to being tackled. This dude could be a stud.
- 4**** Weakside DE Jake Lawler from Charlotte
- 4**** DT Xach Gill from Wake Forest (might have a shot at PT. Might redshirt)
- 4**** OL Jonah Melton from Mebane -- 9th best offensive guard in the nation
- 4**** DB Tre Shaw from near Atlanta

As for this class, it's not an elite class by any means and I make no bones about that. But it is a good class, with basically no "filler" players. Pretty much every guy in this class, save for one or two, will have an opportunity to earn playing time fairly early on.

Guys with the potential to play right away for the 2017 season are:

- 3*** RB Michael Carter from Navarre, FL. Shifty, fast, elusive, allergic to being tackled. This dude could be a stud.
- 4**** Weakside DE Jake Lawler from Charlotte
- 4**** DT Xach Gill from Wake Forest (might have a shot at PT. Might redshirt)
- 4**** OL Jonah Melton from Mebane -- 9th best offensive guard in the nation
- 4**** DB Tre Shaw from near Atlanta
I'm just hoping those DL recruits can live up to their potential and do it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
I always laugh when people say stuff like this. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football and basketball. I realize that whether you or I follow it doesn't make any difference, but it's pretty damn important.

Recruiting is definitely important for the program, but I don't care to pay attention to it. There's a lot of uncertainty and it's just not worth the effort to try to keep up in my opinion. Basketball recruiting is a little easier and more meaningful to follow. In that we're competing (albeit losing) for the top talent in the country, the talent will be game changers pretty much as soon as they show up, and there's a pretty good idea of which couple schools each is coming down to - whereas in football we're competing for mid-range talent, that will take awhile to develop and/or redshirt, and each player has a handful of schools they could commit to.

That said, I don't really follow basketball recruiting that closely either.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Class looks pretty mehhh to me. Seems our hold on slightly better than mediocre has been strengthened.

The fact that a 3-star signing last sec is the biggest splash pretty much speaks for itself.
I would say that's true for the most part, but I think the RB out of FL is being overlooked some. Dude has crazy stats. Over 2,500 yards rushing and 41 rushing touchdowns in his senior year.

Sure, I understand that. And I'll look at the final rankings to see if it looks like we did well overall. But when someone starts calling out high school players by name and star rankings, etc. my eyes glaze over. If you're into that, cool by me. It's just too much for my feeble brain to want to deal with.

Class looks pretty mehhh to me. Seems our hold on slightly better than mediocre has been strengthened.

The fact that a 3-star signing last sec is the biggest splash pretty much speaks for itself.
It's not the biggest splash at all; it's the biggest splash of our day, not our class as a whole.

Like I said, I'm not going to lie and say this is an elite class because it isn't. However, it is comprised of a bunch of solid players who will have meaningful impact for the Heels soon and down the road. As @tarheel0910 alluded to, Michael Carter is being severely undervalued (IMO). Dude won Florida Gatorade Player of the Year and, like I said, is allergic to being tackled. Watch his film:

Recruiting is definitely important for the program, but I don't care to pay attention to it. There's a lot of uncertainty and it's just not worth the effort to try to keep up in my opinion. Basketball recruiting is a little easier and more meaningful to follow. In that we're competing (albeit losing) for the top talent in the country, the talent will be game changers pretty much as soon as they show up, and there's a pretty good idea of which couple schools each is coming down to - whereas in football we're competing for mid-range talent, that will take awhile to develop and/or redshirt, and each player has a handful of schools they could commit to.

Exactly, although I really couldn't tell you a thing about basketball recruiting either.

Yeah, basketball recruiting is easier to follow because there's far fewer players in a class, but it's also a lot more stressful (IMO) to follow than football recruiting. In football, you can miss on like 5 prospects and still not only have a great class but also significantly improve your program. In basketball, at the heights Carolina recruits, if you miss on just 2 guys, you're in the throes of a Chernobyl meltdown.

Using the same logic, practice is the most important aspect of achievement. But no one ever cares to go and watch practice.

Seems our hold on slightly better than mediocre has been strengthened.

lol. That's who we are.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
It's not the biggest splash at all; it's the biggest splash of our day, not our class as a whole.

Like I said, I'm not going to lie and say this is an elite class because it isn't. However, it is comprised of a bunch of solid players who will have meaningful impact for the Heels soon and down the road. As @tarheel0910 alluded to, Michael Carter is being severely undervalued (IMO). Dude won Florida Gatorade Player of the Year and, like I said, is allergic to being tackled. Watch his film:

Y'all do your hw and watch this film. It'll make you say "wow"

They're all managing in aeronautical engineering too -- definitely NOT majoring in recreation studies.
There is a thread going on over there about easy and/or hard classes that they had at moo. What's funny to me is that there were several posters talking about how there were athletes in the easy classes with them.

There is a thread going on over there about easy and/or hard classes that they had at moo. What's funny to me is that there were several posters talking about how there were athletes in the easy classes with them.
Overall it makes me laugh how they talk about NC State like it's frickin Harvard lol. I get it... engineering classes are difficult. But don't pretend like your university is on par with an elite engineering school like Georgia Tech. I especially LOL when they whine about how biased the rankings reports of universities are.

"State didn't crack the Top 100, but those reports are notoriously biased!!!!1!!!!!!1111"

Personally, I don't care about university rankings at all. College is what you make of it. Unless you're going to an Ivy League school, the school you attend has very little bearing on whether you're smart or dumb. That's a personal thing about whether you apply yourself or not. But with the way Mooers always ramble on like their school is Oxford, yes I'm gonna poke fun at their school.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
No doubt, but I just thought it was funny that not only did they say they were easy classes, they also said they were full of athletes.
True. I don't recall who said it now but years ago when the scandal hit the news, one sports reporter said something along the lines of "that sound you hear is documents being shredded at all the other power 5 schools".

It happens everywhere. Maybe we just need to learn how to cover shit up better like those pros in the SEC?

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT