ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Is it? I mean I know hindsight is 20-20 and he was never going to not play, but can you really say his draft stock is better off after that garbage showing?
Did he play bad enough to hurt his stock in a weak draft class for a QB though? I don't think he did. That last drive was impressive enough to keep his stock from significantly falling in my opinion.

Did he play bad enough to hurt his stock in a weak draft class for a QB though? I don't think he did. That last drive was impressive enough to keep his stock from significantly falling in my opinion.
No, he didn't. NFL scouts will easily recognize how godawful our O-Line was, which can account for most of his mistakes yesterday. The pick six is the only truly bad play he made yesterday that was all on him.

Reactions: tarheel0910

I'm not sure. NFL GMs will still probably roll the dice on him. Maybe some will have a QB they prefer more than Mitch after watching that, and he slides a few spots but it probably didn't hurt him a ton. Sure as hell didn't help him at all though.

I'm not sure. NFL GMs will still probably roll the dice on him. Maybe some will have a QB they prefer more than Mitch after watching that, and he slides a few spots but it probably didn't hurt him a ton. Sure as hell didn't help him at all though.
You're overthinking this, bud. Of course NFL GMs will roll the dice on Trubisky. All of the following are starting NFL QBs:

Siemian
Tyrod Taylor
Oswiler/Savage
Carson Palmer
Bortles
Bradford / Teddy Ballgame may never play again
Whatever retard Cleveland rolls out from week to week

And the QB draft class is fairly weak this year. Trubisky will look like Andrew Luck in the eyes of GMs by April.

M.J. Stewart to return for next season. If he can figure out how to catch the football, he can easily play himself back into a Round 1-3 pick.

Is it? I mean I know hindsight is 20-20 and he was never going to not play, but can you really say his draft stock is better off after that garbage showing?
The part that was ridiculous was suggesting he selfishly sit out the game. In his one year as starter and likely his last chance to wear the uniform, yes, the mere mention of him not playing is utterly ridiculous.

As for his draft status, I doubt Mitch improved it yesterday but I don't think he did anything to hurt it. Not in just this one game. First of all, the fumble was a fluke caused by the umpire who failed to get out of the way. Second, the interception for a touchdown was an outstanding call and great execution by Stanford. They sold the zone and had the strong safety covering Logan out of the backfield, and with Bug Howard and the cornerback forming the perfect screen on the edge it's understandable that Mitch didn't see the safety coming up until it was too late.

Meanwhile, Mitch once again showed poise, strength, and excellent footwork and elusiveness in the backfield. You'd better know the scouts who were present saw this. And as it has already been mentioned here, he didn't always get a lot of help from a patchwork offensive line and at least one of his senior wide receivers.

Last edited:
Guys...........GMs do not put any stock into bowl games. I don't know how else to say it lol. They don't. The only time they'd ever put stock into a bowl game would be if you're a nobody and you ball out in a bowl game. That might cause a pro team to go back and do some homework on your overall film.

Actually I think the exact opposite is true. When you run a fast-paced offense you are going to almost always give the other team more chances, which is going to mean giving up more yards. But if they don't score it doesn't matter how many yards you give up. I would have no problem giving up 400 ypg if we only gave up 20 ppg. We played excellent in the red zone yesterday. That's what we need to win games.

my point was the offense is not efficient and he has no plans in managing a clock...it's hard to win games with this offense if you don't put up 27-30 a game.

the defense played well, was very physical for the most part, and made plays on balls.

I was more going on the basis that some people can do no wrong even when they have terrible games and their poor play leads to losses and getting a pass for that.
Because football is a much more team game. I.E. one person usually can never be blamed for doing something wrong. Too much is linked.... i.e. OLine play affects whether a RB can find a hole, or a QB has time to read the defense, etc.

I think Trubisky played badly yesterday, don't get me wrong. He had a roller coaster day. He made a lot of amazing plays -- that we take for granted by now because he's Mitch -- where he deftly avoided the rush and still located a receiver to hit. The final TD was one example, and there were several more in the first half. He also had some excellent runs on QB reads.

On the negative side, he missed some open receivers, and the pick six was an awful, awful defensive read. He thought the safety was in zone, but at the snap, the safety converted to man, and immediately rushed for the boundary to pick up the RB coming out of the flat. He also made a terrible throw on his other pick.

But in between his great plays and his lousy plays was an OLine that couldn't block to save their lives. He ran for his life on many plays yesterday. NFL scouts will note that and will disregard a lot of his bad plays if they feel the OLine was responsible for some, most, or all of it.

I thought he made some public statement about how he was going to get healed-up well and come back for his senior season?

I guess that was a better subterfuge than McCaffery and others just saying they were sitting-out their bowls so they don't get hurt and can't get paid to play football.

I thought he made some public statement about how he was going to get healed-up well and come back for his senior season?

I guess that was a better subterfuge than McCaffery and others just saying they were sitting-out their bowls so they don't get hurt and can't get paid to play football.
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise.

I just hope the kid gets drafted. He didn't skip the bowl game to avoid injury. Think grades.

Good thing we've got that stout defense coming back, eh?

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
If he doesn't get drafted, maybe he gets a try out with his hometown team.

Gotta be honest, I don't think Hood will get drafted. There's a lot about his game that NFL teams won't like. The days of the true NFL power back are over -- or at least, it isn't a thing right now. NFL backs have breakaway speed. If that speed can be coupled with power (Le'veon Bell, Doug Martin when he didn't suck), then that's even better.

Hood doesn't have breakaway speed, can't run laterally whatsoever, and has very average vision. Furthermore, I don't think NFL teams will particularly love the reason why Hood didn't play in the bowl game, that heelbent alluded to.

I hope he's drafted, but we shall see.

Gotta be honest, I don't think Hood will get drafted. There's a lot about his game that NFL teams won't like. The days of the true NFL power back are over -- or at least, it isn't a thing right now. NFL backs have breakaway speed. If that speed can be coupled with power (Le'veon Bell, Doug Martin when he didn't suck), then that's even better.

Hood doesn't have breakaway speed, can't run laterally whatsoever, and has very average vision. Furthermore, I don't think NFL teams will particularly love the reason why Hood didn't play in the bowl game, that heelbent alluded to.

I hope he's drafted, but we shall see.
Not that he would, but do football declarees (is that a word?) for the NFL draft have the opportunity to withdraw if they don't get positive feedback on their draft potential?

Not that he would, but do football declarees (is that a word?) for the NFL draft have the opportunity to withdraw if they don't get positive feedback on their draft potential?
Yes and no. It's different than basketball. Football players considering entering the draft get information back from a committee and they evaluate this information before declaring for the draft. Once you declare, you're locked in.

Speaking of declaring, Mitch has declared. Good for him.

Yes and no. It's different than basketball. Football players considering entering the draft get information back from a committee and they evaluate this information before declaring for the draft. Once you declare, you're locked in.

Speaking of declaring, Mitch has declared. Good for him.
It makes sense for MItch to declare, but dang I wish he would've come back. Best of luck to him. Hopefully, he gets picked later in round 1 where a team can let him have a year or two of development under an aging QB/mentor. If the Browns, Bears, or some crappy team drafts him, they're liable to destroy him quickly by throwing him to the wolves.

It makes sense for MItch to declare, but dang I wish he would've come back. Best of luck to him. Hopefully, he gets picked later in round 1 where a team can let him have a year or two of development under an aging QB/mentor. If the Browns, Bears, or some crappy team drafts him, they're liable to destroy him quickly by throwing him to the wolves.
It would've been ridiculously stupid for him to come back. I wanted him to come back, from a Carolina perspective, but him getting drafted high is equally valuable for Carolina (and, honestly, for Fedora's stock). There's a chance he'll drop, but too many teams are starving for QBs.... I think he'll go in the Top 10.

It would've been ridiculously stupid for him to come back. I wanted him to come back, from a Carolina perspective, but him getting drafted high is equally valuable for Carolina (and, honestly, for Fedora's stock). There's a chance he'll drop, but too many teams are starving for QBs.... I think he'll go in the Top 10.
Quick check of the current mock drafts out there and I found about 3 where he was picked 2nd by the Niners, 3 where the Jets take him at 6, and one having the Browns take him at no. 12. It would definitely be awesome to see a Tar Heel QB starting and succeeding in the NFL, but it wouldn't be easy for him if any of those 3 teams pick him and throw him out there on day one.

Quick check of the current mock drafts out there and I found about 3 where he was picked 2nd by the Niners, 3 where the Jets take him at 6, and one having the Browns take him at no. 12. It would definitely be awesome to see a Tar Heel QB starting and succeeding in the NFL, but it wouldn't be easy for him if any of those 3 teams pick him and throw him out there on day one.
I think Chicago or NYJ would be the best landing spot for Mitch. Both of those organizations are much more stable (relatively) than SF or Cleveland.

I hope Mitch goes in the first 5, or at least 10. That would be a boost to the recruiting for the school. That's a much bigger contribution.

- three recent commits: 4**** CB C.J. Cotman, 3*** WR Beau Corrales, and 3*** OL Jordan Tucker
- DL coach Tray Scott leaves for Ole Miss
- DB coach Charlton Warren (and one of my man crushes) leaves for Tennessee
- we replace CW with Texas A&M DB coach Terry Joseph

That's all in the last two weeks
Any word on who we are trying to get for DL coach?

Any word on who we are trying to get for DL coach?
r

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT