ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

True. I don't recall who said it now but years ago when the scandal hit the news, one sports reporter said something along the lines of "that sound you hear is documents being shredded at all the other power 5 schools".

It happens everywhere. Maybe we just need to learn how to cover shit up better like those pros in the SEC?
As soon as the academic portion of our problems came to light, Moo immediately stopped listing the majors of their football and basketball players on their website. Coincidence?

To be honest, I'm starting to get concerned about our recruiting for the 2018 Class. There's potential for us to have a great class because of some of the studs we're in play for, but if we don't get some folks in the next couple months, I'll be ready to push the panic button.

Biggest thing coming up is Payton Wilson's announcement on May 1st. Wilson is a 4****, 5.9 RR outside linebacker from Hillsborough. He's the #7 overall OLB in the nation and is the 7th best prospect in the state of North Carolina, per Rivals.

If we can reel him in, I'll feel much better. Currently, we only have (1) scholarship commit for the '18 class

Nice! And I guess no one gives a shit about my poast above yours about our '18 class recruiting.
I wouldn't say I don't care, but football recruiting is not something I put a lot of time into because you have to keep up with 3,465 recruits. I don't even follow basketball recruiting that much and there isn't that many recruits. Football recruiting is just too much work for me. I'll just rely on your summaries. Keep up the good work!

I wouldn't say I don't care, but football recruiting is not something I put a lot of time into because you have to keep up with 3,465 recruits. I don't even follow basketball recruiting that much and there isn't that many recruits. Football recruiting is just too much work for me. I'll just rely on your summaries. Keep up the good work!
I'm not gonna rehash this argument again, but to me, football recruiting is way more enjoyable to follow than basketball recruiting is. I know @Raising Heel agrees with me.

But alright, I'll give some summaries from time to time. Like I said above, Payton Wilson is the key recruit who's about to make a decision. Another key recruit is LB Dax Hollifield. Don't even waste time dreaming about Zamir White (Scotland County) suiting up for us. Not gonna happen. Just isn't. Also, stud WSDE K.J. Henry (West Forsyth, Clemmons) was never gonna consider us, and now it's official because we didn't make his Final 10.

I'm not gonna rehash this argument again, but to me, football recruiting is way more enjoyable to follow than basketball recruiting is. I know @Raising Heel agrees with me.
I agree with you to an extent, but it's just too many people to keep up with for me. I'll keep an eye on them once they have picked us though.

But alright, I'll give some summaries from time to time. Like I said above, Payton Wilson is the key recruit who's about to make a decision. Another key recruit is LB Dax Hollifield. Don't even waste time dreaming about Zamir White (Scotland County) suiting up for us. Not gonna happen. Just isn't. Also, stud WSDE K.J. Henry (West Forsyth, Clemmons) was never gonna consider us, and now it's official because we didn't make his Final 10.
Thanks.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Question for you @TarHeelNation11 or anyone else that wants to chime in. Why do you think we lose some of these top NC recruits to other schools outside of the state? Is it just the allure of playing in the SEC/Clemson or do you think it's more than that? We seem to be doing a good job in states like GA, but it just seems like we should be getting more NC guys. NC and VA were what Mack built his best teams on.

I like to be kept up to date with the important football recruiting news, but I agree it's tougher to discern what is important and what's not - at least to me.

Like I can easily tell that if the bball team gets Kevin Knox - a top 10 player on the wing, that would be a complete gamechanger this upcoming season.

In football (at least for UNC), it's tough for me to tell what impact the #309 recruit will have at safety. Especially because in football it's much less likely that a freshman will come in and be the best player on the team. That coupled with the fact (at least to my knowledge) that football recruits flip flop a lot more - and we could land a big recruit that tells us to screw off a couple months later to go get paid by Saban ;).

Reactions: tarheel0910
Question for you @TarHeelNation11 or anyone else that wants to chime in. Why do you think we lose some of these top NC recruits to other schools outside of the state? Is it just the allure of playing in the SEC/Clemson or do you think it's more than that? We seem to be doing a good job in states like GA, but it just seems like we should be getting more NC guys. NC and VA were what Mack built his best teams on.
Why do I think we lose top NC recruits to other schools? Because those other schools are really, really good, have passionate fanbases that attend games, and have either a long history of winning or a recent history of major winning. Carolina has none of that. Nor does NC State nor Duke nor Wake.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Why do I think we lose top NC recruits to other schools? Because those other schools are really, really good, have passionate fanbases that attend games, and have either a long history of winning or a recent history of major winning. Carolina has none of that. Nor does NC State nor Duke nor Wake.
I figure that has something to do with it, but Mack wasn't putting world beaters on the field to start his tenure. He was able to bring those guys in regardless. Is he just a better salesman or maybe the SEC narrative wasn't as strong back then?

I figure that has something to do with it, but Mack wasn't putting world beaters on the field to start his tenure. He was able to bring those guys in regardless. Is he just a better salesman or maybe the SEC narrative wasn't as strong back then?
There definitely has been a shift in the past 15 or so years where the elite programs are combing the state of North Carolina more thoroughly. Folks have finally realized that right after your "Big 3" talent states of Texas, Florida, and California, the next tier just down from those three is Georgia and then North Carolina, in that order.

This, combined with Carolina not doing anything of note in football since Mack left, other than 2015 (and 2012, but we didn't get to reap benefits from it since we couldn't appear in the ACCCG), plus the relentless negative media coverage of the 'junk.' has really taken its toll. It's not a coincidence that the staff is having more success outside the state than in the state, right now. You can thank folks like Dan Kane for that.

But yeah, we just don't hold sway with many of the elite N.C. prospects right now. They do not see us as a viable options because we don't win enough, while very close-by Clemson and UGA do win a lot. For every Jalen Dalton and Jonah Melton we pull in, we lose a K.J. Henry, B.J. Emmons, Landon Dickerson, Justin Foster, Zamir White, et al.

Nice! And I guess no one gives a shit about my poast above yours about our '18 class recruiting.
This isn't the venue for discussing football recruiting IMO. The conversation here is laid back. Fortunately we have a free football board that doesn't treat passers-by with the same hostility our free basketball board does (minus those damned Russian spammers...buy an ad you commies!). Better place to discuss recruits over there.

I'll add two things to what THN has already mentioned, none of which I disagree with.

One, relationships are a big deal and previous staffs have burned some bridges. It shouldn't be a surprise that football recruiting is political just like basketball recruiting, although I'd argue it's less so because of the larger recruiting pool.

Second, the internet has changed the recruiting game. Sites like this didn't exist when Mack was in his heyday. So to my first point, relationships were even more important because that's how you found out about hidden gems tucked away in some corner of the state, and outside programs were less likely to know about them. Just my personal opinion, but I think people put too much of an emphasis on "locking down the state" because of the history of football recruiting when it's really not as important anymore. That said, it still hurts like heck to see all the talent we produce within NC and have 80% of the blue-chippers end up somewhere else.

This isn't the venue for discussing football recruiting IMO. The conversation here is laid back. Fortunately we have a free football board that doesn't treat passers-by with the same hostility our free basketball board does (minus those damned Russian spammers...buy an ad you commies!). Better place to discuss recruits over there.
The problem with that is there are only 4 people that know that board exists.

One, relationships are a big deal and previous staffs have burned some bridges.
Which staff would that be? Current staff or does it go back farther than that?

Butch Davis' staff and then the interim Withers year.

Just my personal opinion, but I think people put too much of an emphasis on "locking down the state" because of the history of football recruiting when it's really not as important anymore. That said, it still hurts like heck to see all the talent we produce within NC and have 80% of the blue-chippers end up somewhere else.
This. Yes it hurts to see big baller N.C. recruits go elsewhere, but overall, the concept of "locking down a state" is a myth. No school in the country locks down their state, save one -- LSU. Must be something in the water there. A big-time prospect from Louisiana commits to LSU 99% of the time.

The problem with that is there are only 4 people that know that board exists.

I've been bad about spending time over there in the offseason (not like 1 poaster is gonna make a big difference though).

All staffs run into problems with relationships, especially when a recruit feels he was done wrong. I've heard stories about everyone from Torbush to Fedora, although most of the issues seem to have stemmed from the BD era as THN said.

Nice, I saw this. I was wondering how long we had to wait until we could be reasonably sure he'll stay committed at UNC. Also, is he expected to get some burn outta the gate - or are we waiting a few years to see him in game action?
I don't want to jinx anything or count chickens, but we've had pretty decent luck under Fedora with the vast majority of recruits sticking once they commit. The few I can think of that have decomitted, it was pretty much known at the time of their commitment that they might waver. That being said, we've had two decommits in this 2018 class already, both DBs.

As for playing time, he'll play as a freshman if he's good enough. Fedora has been pretty consistent in getting offensive skill position guys in the game (WRs, TEs, RBs) as freshman, if they can ball. The only WRs I can think of that have redshirted under Fedora were guys who weren't grasping the playbook and/or couldn't even crack the third string on the depth chart as true freshman (Devin Perry, Josh Cabrera, Juval Mollette, Roscoe Johnson). And beyond that, by the 2018 class, we'll be thin at receiver in terms of known in-game production thus far. Proehl and Thomas Jackson will be gone after this season which leaves................ a lot of potential, but no proven commodities.

There had been fretting that the turkeys were making inroads with Brown , so this is great news. UNC originally was recruiting him as a DB and then the turkeys came in and recruited him as a WR , apparently Fed made corrections/reassurances. We need to lock up Charlotte and Greensboro.

Reactions: grillheel
it's just scouts on twitter, but they said "and this is really happening, cleveland trying to get cousins".

my guess is cutler, jimmy, or aj mccarron.
I think McCarron still can be a player in the league, if he's given a chance. He's got the intangibles...is a competitor, blah blah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT