ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

id-keep-playing.jpg

the football boards are full of cry baby a$$ kids complaining about weather conditions...i'm shocked i haven't read that the ncaa contacted the league about not allowing carolina to move the game to arlington

Reactions: tarheel0910
the football boards are full of cry baby a$$ kids complaining about weather conditions...i'm shocked i haven't read that the ncaa contacted the league about not allowing carolina to move the game to arlington
Well, in their defense, football is an indoor sport and no one knew it was going to be raining.

Reactions: gteeitup

Well in their defense, there was a hurricane happening. And sure, both teams have to play in the same conditions, but our offense is not conducive to a game like that. That's why I've never been a big fan of Fedora's offense. I much prefer the pro style and a real defense. Throw in the fact that Hood couldn't play and we had our All-Finesse team on the field during torrential downpours and gale force winds. It was a recipe for a an ass-kicking. I'm personally not crying about it but I'll say that under normal conditions, we beat VT 8 out of 10 times.

Well in their defense, there was a hurricane happening. And sure, both teams have to play in the same conditions, but our offense is not conducive to a game like that. That's why I've never been a big fan of Fedora's offense. I much prefer the pro style and a real defense. Throw in the fact that Hood couldn't play and we had our All-Finesse team on the field during torrential downpours and gale force winds. It was a recipe for a an ass-kicking. I'm personally not crying about it but I'll say that under normal conditions, we beat VT 8 out of 10 times.
VT doesn't have a traditional pro style offense either, but they adjusted their normal game plan to offset the weather and take advantage of our weaknesses as much as possible. I like Fedora, but he just refuses to make adjustments. It also didn't help that the team gave up after VT's first touchdown.

VT doesn't have a traditional pro style offense either, but they adjusted their normal game plan to offset the weather and take advantage of our weaknesses as much as possible. I like Fedora, but he just refuses to make adjustments. It also didn't help that the team gave up after VT's first touchdown.
Please just let me forget that debacle.

The team didn't give up. They just repeatedly gave up the football. I agree about Fedora but that's why I don't like that dumbass spread shit. When it looks good, it looks really good. But when it looks bad, it looks really bad.

VT runs an offense similar to ours last year and if we had Marquise for Saturday's game, I believe the game would have been very different. We needed to run inside and without Hood, there was no chance of that. Williams was a terrific between the tackles runner. VT did exactly what we did to a lot of teams last year. I love Mitch, but he was a disaster. The conditions hurt his ability to throw the ball and then that caused him to make some really bad decisions.

But make no mistake, and I've made sure to remind all of the idiot VT fans around here, we beat ourselves. Tech played well so I won't take all the credit away from them. But we served that ass-kicking up to them on a platter.

Reactions: UNC71-00
The team didn't give up. They just repeatedly gave up the football. I agree about Fedora but that's why I don't like that dumbass spread shit. When it looks good, it looks really good. But when it looks bad, it looks really bad.

VT runs an offense similar to ours last year and if we had Marquise for Saturday's game, I believe the game would have been very different. We needed to run inside and without Hood, there was no chance of that. Williams was a terrific between the tackles runner. VT did exactly what we did to a lot of teams last year. I love Mitch, but he was a disaster. The conditions hurt his ability to throw the ball and then that caused him to make some really bad decisions.

But make no mistake, and I've made sure to remind all of the idiot VT fans around here, we beat ourselves. Tech played well so I won't take all the credit away from them. But we served that ass-kicking up to them on a platter.

All of this is 100% correct.

The ACC Coastal is a train wreck right now. It's gonna be really interesting to see who will win the privilege of going to Orlando to get mauled by Clemson.

Reactions: gteeitup

Why does it seem that spread offenses are mutually exclusive to having a good defense? I know the time of possession thing but our "D" seems to get flattened by the opposing teams "O" on the 1st drive of the game and that is the point that they should be the freshest.

The ACC Coastal is a train wreck right now. It's gonna be really interesting to see who will win the privilege of going to Orlando to get mauled by Clemson.
You have to think VT has something of an advantage with BC and Cuse as their cross games this year. They do still have to play Miami , Pitt and GT though . but they now own the tiebreaker with UNC.

Of all the teams, I think we are set up be the least likely to get mauled by Clemson. Maybe Miami. But VT will indeed get mauled by Clemson...unless of course another hurricane comes.

You have to think VT has something of an advantage with BC and Cuse as their cross games this year. They do still have to play Miami , Pitt and GT though . but they now own the tiebreaker with UNC.

Yep. We'll need to win out and have Miami and Pitt beat VT. I think Pitt will get them because it's up there. But Miami is going to have to go into Blacksburg and win that game. That will be tough.

Also, I think we should acknowledge that VT had the extra week to plan for this game. We did not. And if they were watching the weather, that gave them more time to put a contingency plan together. We didn't have that luxury.

But no use in crying about it now. No margin for error. We have to win out. We can do that.

Why does it seem that spread offenses are mutually exclusive to having a good defense? I know the time of possession thing but our "D" seems to get flattened by the opposing teams "O" on the 1st drive of the game and that is the point that they should be the freshest.

because you practice against the spread, i.e. soft, lack of physicality...no way in hell carolina can replicate what pro-style teams do week in and week out.

or you better be like clemson and in the two-deep and be strong as steel.

Last edited:
That really sucks, but we still have Switzer, Bug, Proehl, etc. with a good running attack and QB who really knows how to deliver the football. We're obviously better with Mack, but we can still hold our own and get it done.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Defense looked good again, especially in the first half when the offense wasn't able to break through.
No doubt. We have been better the last 2 games, albeit against teams that are struggling a bit. However, in the past the caliber of the opposing team's offense hasn't really mattered. Pretty much anyone was racking up yards and points against us. So this has been a nice change. All we can ask for is improvement and they have done that. Very happy with our D right now.

ot: remember when tom herman was going to leave houston for scarolina last year?...it was a done deal.

he then atm'd houston, got fat raise and buyout, told everybody, secretly, his dream job was texas and was waiting on strong to be canned.

he then proceeds to lose to navy, and now smu is kicking their ass 21-0.

Enjoy watching Trubisky while you can, boys. Mitch is heading to an NFL screen near you! #4 in CBS's latest mock draft. Fourth overall pick!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT