ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Enjoy watching Trubisky while you can, boys. Mitch is heading to an NFL screen near you! #4 in CBS's latest mock draft. Fourth overall pick!!!

That's crazy.

Don't get me wrong- I think MT gets drafted and may even be good enough to start one day. But he's not a top 4 pick right now.

That's crazy.

Don't get me wrong- I think MT gets drafted and may even be good enough to start one day. But he's not a top 4 pick right now.
NFL is becoming an underneath passing league (see Rivers against the Falcons yesterday). That's Trubisky's game to a T, plus he's mobile.

Enjoy watching Trubisky while you can, boys. Mitch is heading to an NFL screen near you! #4 in CBS's latest mock draft. Fourth overall pick!!!
holy-smokes-batman.jpg

NFL is becoming an underneath passing league (see Rivers against the Falcons yesterday). That's Trubisky's game to a T, plus he's mobile.

I understand, but drafting an underneath passing QB 4th would be passing on a lot of guys that are not as easily replaced.

I'll eat my hat if Mitch goes in the top 20 of the draft. That's crazy talk. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and think he's certainly an NFL QB. But to take him at #4 would lunacy.

I was at the game on Saturday and I was not all that impressed with our play. The defense played right well but against a hapless UVa team that has a QB that completely lost confidence when he threw a pick 6 as the time expired in the first half of their last game against Pitt. Benkert was off target all day. Our defense was decent, but UVa just couldn't make anything happen. Smoke Mizzell ran for over 100 on us. But honestly, I thought the defense was the better of our two units. The offense looked bad at times. We made some silly mistakes. Twice in the first half, we were unable to get a first down - once when Mitch scrambled and stepped out of bounds a half yard before the marker when a little effort would have gotten him there and then Switzer running a route 1 yard short of the marker. Boneheaded plays. Ball security wasn't great (Logan and Switzer fumbled) and we didn't really have a deep ball all day until the 4th when Mitch hit Austin for 40 yards. UVa was able to get into the backfield plenty but Mitch was crafty and elusive. But he was surrounded a lot. I know we miss Peterson but we have to block better. Because UVa is a terrible defense.

All in all, I'm glad to get the win, of course. But I didn't think we played very well. We'll have to be better in every remaining game (except for Citadel) to win.

I'll eat my hat if Mitch goes in the top 20 of the draft. That's crazy talk. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and think he's certainly an NFL QB. But to take him at #4 would lunacy.

I was at the game on Saturday and I was not all that impressed with our play. The defense played right well but against a hapless UVa team that has a QB that completely lost confidence when he threw a pick 6 as the time expired in the first half of their last game against Pitt. Benkert was off target all day. Our defense was decent, but UVa just couldn't make anything happen. Smoke Mizzell ran for over 100 on us. But honestly, I thought the defense was the better of our two units. The offense looked bad at times. We made some silly mistakes. Twice in the first half, we were unable to get a first down - once when Mitch scrambled and stepped out of bounds a half yard before the marker when a little effort would have gotten him there and then Switzer running a route 1 yard short of the marker. Boneheaded plays. Ball security wasn't great (Logan and Switzer fumbled) and we didn't really have a deep ball all day until the 4th when Mitch hit Austin for 40 yards. UVa was able to get into the backfield plenty but Mitch was crafty and elusive. But he was surrounded a lot. I know we miss Peterson but we have to block better. Because UVa is a terrible defense.

All in all, I'm glad to get the win, of course. But I didn't think we played very well. We'll have to be better in every remaining game (except for Citadel) to win.
You and @gteeitup must be miserable to watch games with. And this is ME saying that.

Bleacher Report has him going #3 - also to the Bears though, so just a matter of where the different sites see the Bears picking I guess. I'm in a fantasy football dynasty league (rosters are big and you keep everyone from year to year), so each year the draft picks are either guys who came out of absolutely nowhere in the offseason, or rookies. Gonna have to debate taking Mitch with my 1st rounder next year it looks like.

Considering where this program was, hell, I think Larry Fedora is a freaking saint. Do people want us to bring John Bunting back or something? I lurk on the football board and see people complaining about Fedora all the time. I mean, yeah, his clock management is questionable and I can see why some don't like a fast paced offense (I find it quite exciting myself), but Jesus people, the dude has put this program in the best place it has been in YEARS. I just don't see how some can watch this program how it was earlier on when we struggled to have a .500 season and have issues with Fedora, considering everything he has done. I don't mean to sound like someone on Radar or anything, but with football, I'm just glad we're actually good at it now.

Considering where this program was, hell, I think Larry Fedora is a freaking saint. Do people want us to bring John Bunting back or something? I lurk on the football board and see people complaining about Fedora all the time. I mean, yeah, his clock management is questionable and I can see why some don't like a fast paced offense (I find it quite exciting myself), but Jesus people, the dude has put this program in the best place it has been in YEARS. I just don't see how some can watch this program how it was earlier on when we struggled to have a .500 season and have issues with Fedora, considering everything he has done. I don't mean to sound like someone on Radar or anything, but with football, I'm just glad we're actually good at it now.
Oh, it's the exact same on the premium football board man. So much whining and hand-wringing about things they feel Fedora does wrong. I always say it on there but I'll echo it here. . . I don't know how some of these posters made it through the Bunting years without having to check themselves into an insane asylum. If they complain this much during this "golden period" we are in, then I don't even know what they could've been like during our annual Bunting 2-9 season.

And yes, I realize I sound Radar-ish on this.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I don't dislike Fedora. I'm glad he's brought winning football to Carolina. I'm simply saying we didn't play well. As we've gotten better, so have our standards and what we should all expect. That perfectly logical.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I don't dislike Fedora. I'm glad he's brought winning football to Carolina. I'm simply saying we didn't play well. As we've gotten better, so have our standards and what we should all expect. That perfectly logical.
Yes that's perfectly logical, but at the same time, we are also a fringe Top 25 program right now. We beat a team we're better than, who is a pseudo rival, by 21 points. There's not really much to complain about when that score is the final score.

at some point we need to have a discussion about fedora.

i figured you people might be the most level headed bunch to discuss it with.

Last edited:

i figured you people might be the most level headed bunch to discuss it.
I like Fedora at UNC. I'm not a fan of his play calling sometimes and it appears he's always going to drop a game or two that he shouldn't, but I believe he can keep us competitive in the coastal and get us into the top 25 most years. I would love to go to a NY6 bowl or win a ACC championship, but after the last couple of decades of UNC football I'm trying to be a little more realistic in my wishes. If he can average 9-10 wins a year I would be happy with that. I'm not worried about losing him to a high profile school right now. At the moment I don't see why LSU or Texas would take him.

i figured you people might be the most level headed bunch to discuss it with.
What's to discuss? If he leaves, it will be badddd for us Carolina Football fans. Does he have some warts? Yes, of course. But he has done a supreme job. We have won 7 games already this year and we are complaining about it potentially be a down year. That should show you something.

I want him to stay and continue to incrementally improve as a coach. Additionally, I can't wait to see recruits like Lawler play for Chizik.

What's to discuss? If he leaves, it will be badddd for us Carolina Football fans. Does he have some warts? Yes, of course. But he has done a supreme job. We have won 7 games already this year and we are complaining about it potentially be a down year. That should show you something.

I want him to stay and continue to incrementally improve as a coach. Additionally, I can't wait to see recruits like Lawler play for Chizik.

for argument sake, are his warts losing games?...if so, how is he continuing to improve?

would it be fair to label him as a guy that can revive a program, but a guy unable to sustain one?

if it's 8-5 this year and next year, is that success?

what if they lose to state, miami, and pitt, but beat louisville next year?...in other words, does it matter how they get to 8 wins a year?

for argument sake, are his warts losing games?...if so, how is he continuing to improve?

would it be fair to label him as a guy that can revive a program, but a guy unable to sustain one?

if it's 8-5 this year and next year, is that success?

what if they lose to state, miami, and pitt, but beat louisville next year?...in other words, does it matter how they get to 8 wins a year?
You're not really placing UNC-level expectation on him with those hypotheticals.

I saw an article that said Oregon might be looking at him too? Not really sure why he would make that move. I think the Texas, aTm, and LSU jobs would be much more enticing and I could see him leaving for.

I like where he's brought us for sure. We're doing work on the recruiting trail, and having some pretty successful seasons recently. But I do somewhat worry that he is great at building the program up, but just can't get over the hump. Although, to be fair, "getting over the hump" in this context would be beating Clemson in the ACC title game, or making a NY6 bowl which aren't the most attainable goals.

I'm not a fan of Fedora's style of play and yes, his playcalling drives me mad sometimes. And yes, he loses games at times that he shouldn't. But I certainly don't want him to leave. We're on the uptick. Even if we assured of getting Saban, having to get a new coach would set the program back at least in the short term. We've built some good momentum on the field and in recruiting. Would hate to see that have to start over.

With all that said, I think Fedora likes it in CH and he thinks he can win big here. Of course, we might have to throw some money at him to keep him. But I say we do it.

Honestly, this program has gone through such a long coaching carousel that we really need to find a way to keep Fedora around for the sake of consistency. Whether you agree with his style of play or not, the players have caught on and have become pretty freaking good at it. They're a lot better at it now than they were over the past couple of decades, that's for sure. Yeah, there have been some times where we've lost some games we definitely should have won, but I'll take the hope of the number of those times decreasing over time than having to transition to yet another coach for the 100th time.

Consider this. In his five seasons at UNC, Fedora has never finished below 0.500 in conference. I'm don't think there's another Carolina head coach who can make that claim, and I checked back to the formation of the conference in the 1950s.

Fedora has also won the ACC Coastal title twice in those five years and has an outside shot to do it again this season. He has done all that despite NCAA scholarship limitations that have prevented us from building quality depth across the roster.

He's far from perfect, obviously. But if we consider the possible floor and ceiling for this program, I feel like he has a much higher floor than any coach we've had since Mack. The question then is how high is the ceiling? We caught a glimpse of it last year, and despite some disappointing losses this has been another great season so far.

We only need to upgrade a few spots on defense before we're positioned to win the ACC. Some of those needs are being addressed in recruiting, so we're closer than ever to breaking through. Why wreck that? Yes, Fedora seems to lose a head-scratcher every year, but you have to focus on the bigger picture IMO.

Why wreck that? Yes, Fedora seems to lose a head-scratcher every year, but you have to focus on the bigger picture IMO.
No one is saying they want to get rid of Fedora. I think he is a great coach for UNC and we should do what is necessary to keep him. The difference in opinion is if he could succeed at a big time football school like LSU. I just don't see that happening right now. Nothing he has done convinces me he could challenge Alabama for a conference title.

And who could? At the start of every season, if you asked me to place a National Champion bet on either Alabama or the field, I'd pick the Tide every time.
Notice I said "challenge" and not beat. Dabo almost did it last year and Miles did earlier in his LSU career. Meyer did a pretty good job at it too. I'm not ready to say that Fedora is as good as those three at the moment.

No one is saying they want to get rid of Fedora. I think he is a great coach for UNC and we should do what is necessary to keep him. The difference in opinion is if he could succeed at a big time football school like LSU. I just don't see that happening right now. Nothing he has done convinces me he could challenge Alabama for a conference title.
Plenty of folks are saying "meh, let him go...we'll find someone else." Those people are idiots. Oh, we'll find someone else. But he'll go 3-9 like Bunting.

Plenty of folks are saying "meh, let him go...we'll find someone else." Those people are idiots. Oh, we'll find someone else. But he'll go 3-9 like Bunting.
I was specifically talking about OOTB and blitz posters saying they want to get rid of him. I don't recall anyone saying that.

I was specifically talking about OOTB and blitz posters saying they want to get rid of him. I don't recall anyone saying that.
No one is outright saying it but plenty of folks on Blitz and Blue Heaven are implying "If he leaves it's no big deal because he hasn't impressed me."

Consistent basketball success seriously has made our fanbase stupid. We have zero perspective. We are currently in the era of arguably the best or second best football coach we have ever had.......and a lot of our fanbase can't see it.

Heres where that 59% grad rate hurts. No way in hell unc opens the checkbook for fedora when we're dead last in the acc graduating players. They just wont. We can call it hypocrisy and howl at the moon and rend our garments and throw ashes on our heads all we want but i guarantee u there are some pissed off as hell people in the admin right now.,

And the real kicker? The team with the highest grad rate who just so happens to be our arch rival just beat us last sat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT