ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

I find that hard to believe. That's a school that only considers a successful season a championship season.
I'm just passing along what I saw/heard. It's being reported that he said that if the player's families cannot attend the game then it's not worth it, or something to that effect.

I'm just passing along what I saw/heard. It's being reported that he said that if the player's families cannot attend the game then it's not worth it, or something to that effect.

I wasn't questioning you, I was saying he's full of shit. They won't pull out of those games.

Reactions: strummingram
I wasn't questioning you, I was saying he's full of shit. They won't pull out of those games.

I chuckled pretty hard at that one. Had to be some of the most transparent bluffing I’ve ever seen. And I’ve sat with some terrible poker players.

Soooo now that notre is actually in the cfp I guess we'll hear no more boycott nonsense, eh?

These players opting out is bullshit. The last two seasons culminate in this huge game that could have unc finish in the top ten. Not that I didn’t expect them to win, a&m is a legit cfp team that’s gonna be fuking pissed and out to prove they belonged.

or unmotivated because jimbo fisher is the hc.

personally, i have no problem with it...the program is ascending and I have seen too many injuries to guys for the glory of a ring that doesn’t have “national champ” on it.

What is the percentage of players that have played in bowl games, gotten injured and then had their career's altered because of it? Out of the tens of thousands of guys that have played in a bowl game knowing they were going to be drafted, how many got hurt and lost their careers because of it?

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I have no use or respect for players who abandon their team when they need them the most.
I wouldn't care if it was some crappy bowl. But this bowl? For this program? It's huge and a win helps us tremendously to start out next year and for the program in general. That just makes them irrelevant to me. I have no use for them and hope they stay home for the rest of the season.

I wouldn't care if it was some crappy bowl. But this bowl? For this program? It's huge and a win helps us tremendously to start out next year and for the program in general. That just makes them irrelevant to me. I have no use for them and hope they stay home for the rest of the season.
I don't really care what bowl it is. It's bullshit. You played every game of the season... now, your team, school, coaches and fans are being rewarded with a postseason bowl and you abandon them? Fvck'em all. I fully understand that they have a livelihood to consider. They have a livelihood to consider with every snap of the football- in HS, college and pro. The chances of them losing their ability to earn a living from football in that one game is extremely low. It's just as possible as the cupcake teams they played.

It sets a terrible example and it becomes pervasive and it's ruining the game.

Reactions: Terror Beard
What is the percentage of players that have played in bowl games, gotten injured and then had their career's altered because of it? Out of the tens of thousands of guys that have played in a bowl game knowing they were going to be drafted, how many got hurt and lost their careers because of it?
I bet it is tiny. But injuries are so frickin common in football and any injury will knock you down the draft-board a ton. Production is secondary to size/speed/strength on draft-day, and if you can't prove that an injury hasn't weakened you, then your stock will just drop.

Deunta Williams was an early to mid rounder (he was good enough that he's gotten a $2 million insurance policy) but messed his leg up in the Music City bowl and never played again.

James Hurst in 2013 cost himself a ton of money breaking his leg in the belk bowl. Some thought he's go mid second round... one of the top 50 players available. He went undrafted, though he's recovered nicely, starting an entire season a few seasons ago.

Not an nc'r, but Jaylon Smith only dropped a single round due to his knee injury in a bowl, but it cost him 10+ million bucks.

Last edited:
I bet it is tiny. But injuries are so frickin common in football and any injury will knock you down the draft-board a ton. Production is secondary to size/speed/strength on draft-day, and if you can't prove that an injury hasn't weakened you, then your stock will just drop.

Deunta Williams was an early to mid rounder (he was good enough that he's gotten a $2 million insurance policy) but messed his leg up in the Music City bowl and never played again.

James Hurst in 2013 cost himself a ton of money breaking his leg in the belk bowl. Some thought he's go mid second round... one of the top 50 players available. He went undrafted, though he's recovered nicely, starting an entire season a few seasons ago.

Not an nc'r, but Jaylon Smith only dropped a single round due to his knee injury in a bowl, but it cost him 10+ million bucks.
So, it's tiny and the two you cited are doing just fine. One is playing professionally right now and doing very well.

Joe Namath was injured in, I think, his sophomore or junior year in college in a regular season game playing against NC State!!! He was NEVER the same. And, that was before the medical technology could even identify what had happened! He went on to get the highest contract ever to a rookie in the NFL. He even went to the "inferior" AFL.

Now, this is anecdotal and it's apples-to-oranges in many ways. But, players who will abandon their team are not players that would ever have my respect. I don't pay their salaries, of course. But, that behavior, in the bigger picture, is damaging. Christian McCaffrey is a prime example. He bailed on Stanford in their bowl game. Whenever he gets put on the Panthers' IR list, I sort of grin. That's what you deserve, asshole. I don't pull for them to be injured, but I'm not upset when they ARE injured. I hope he, and any player, who will do that all fail miserably in the NFL. Football is a TEAM SPORT!

There's examples you could use both ways. Anyone remember what RB was taken in the first round and first RB overall in 2003? Willis McGahee.

i could make a case for or against it depending on the player, position, program, or bowl.

if sam sat being draft eligible next year, i’d have a problem with it...that’s why javonte practicing and playing makes him look even more impressive to me...i wouldn’t begrudge him for opting out, though.

The interesting thing about the opt-out stuff is the wealth of advice in-house that players could seek. Darrell Moody and all Mack's other connections *you'd think* could give really solid non-agent advice

So you named 3 out of the tens of thousands that have played a bowl game and went on to be drafted.

I rest my case.

So you named 3 out of the tens of thousands that have played a bowl game and went on to be drafted.

I rest my case.
My first few words were "i bet it is tiny". Thanks for agreeing with me agreeing with you.?.?

And I was actually just naming UNC players, maybe you recognized those names? Then I threw in Jaylon Smith since he is kinda the poster-child.

My first few words were "i bet it is tiny". Thanks for agreeing with me agreeing with you.?.?

And I was actually just naming UNC players, maybe you recognized those names? Then I threw in Jaylon Smith since he is kinda the poster-child.
Why should Trevor Lawrence play? If he gets hurt-- tears an ACL-- he isn't the first pick anymore. That is MAJOR money out the window!

Reactions: Terror Beard
Why should Trevor Lawrence play? If he gets hurt-- tears an ACL-- he isn't the first pick anymore. That is MAJOR money out the window!
I think he should play for fun, and cuz QB risk is a tad smaller. First, the odds of getting hurt in the bowl seem tiny. But their impact on your wallet could be big considering the combine is just 8 weeks from the bowl gm.

I tried to make a point earlier that NFL draft is heavily weighted toward size/speed/strength and injuries can obviously hurt these things. This doesn't apply as much to QBs.

Get a nag in one knee that slows you down in the combine, or something that keeps you from a bench press, and you could drop if you're anything but a QB.

QB's are paid more when they can do things with their arm as well as their legs, but a QB could add a giant leg-brace and still be very effective. Or the same QB could lose their 40 time by quite a bit and still be very effective.

Shit happens injury-wise to QB's - see 2018 - but i'd say it's really rare compared to other positions, especially the things that count (wrist, arm, shoulder).

jmho.

Assuming both stay healthy Howell is gonna have much better nfl career than Lawrence. I feel Lawrence is vastly overrated and has reaped huge benefits from having the best o line and def in cfb

I hate that we won't have those guys on the field In the Orange Bowl, but so far as what I think of them opting out...try to tell me what I need to do for your benefit and you'll find out damn quick what I think.

Assuming both stay healthy Howell is gonna have much better nfl career than Lawrence. I feel Lawrence is vastly overrated and has reaped huge benefits from having the best o line and def in cfb

I kind of agree. I think Lawrence is very good but maybe not quite what some make him out to be.

I think Sam shouldn't play in the game or any game next year. He's already a lock for the first round. No need to risk that by ever playing in college again. That would just be dumb on his part.

Accept he'll have a limb removed by gm 3 if he doesn't get better at throwing it away when the play goes awry.

I think Sam shouldn't play in the game or any game next year. He's already a lock for the first round. No need to risk that by ever playing in college again. That would just be dumb on his part.
You're serious? You would advise him to not suit-up next year?

Are you not reading my other posts on here and blitz?
From what I can tell, you're saying that Carter, Surratt and Brown should play in the Orange Bowl this year because of the importance the game is for the UNC football program.

I can't tell if you're serious about the Howell-not-playing-next-year comments or not. That's why I asked you if you were serious.

From what I can tell, you're saying that Carter, Surratt and Brown should play in the Orange Bowl this year because of the importance the game is for the UNC football program.

I can't tell if you're serious about the Howell-not-playing-next-year comments or not. That's why I asked you if you were serious.
No, I'm not serious. Just using the same dumb logic people are using to say it's smart to sit out for the bowl. Sam has more on the line, so using their logic they should think it's smart for him to shut it down and prepare for the draft.

No, I'm not serious. Just using the same dumb logic people are using to say it's smart to sit out for the bowl. Sam has more on the line, so using their logic they should think it's smart for him to shut it down and prepare for the draft.
Lawrence has potentially two more games and all it takes is one bad play and he's screwed. I completely understand what is at stake for them and their future. But, I guess I'm more old-school about it. You're taking a risk every time you play. Why someone would want to purposely exclude themselves from their team's bowl game... while they never considered missing a regular season game... just doesn't seem right to me.

I could possibly be persuaded if a team were 6-6, or like this season where sub-50% teams are getting bowl bids, and a player has a draft potential. But, I'm a much harder sell when it comes to typical seasons when a team has a bowl game and the team is 8-3, or 9-2 and the bowl is substantial and means a lot to the team, school, coaches, future recruits, and fans. That team, school, coaches and fans helped the players get to where they are and, while they're not obligated to play, it just shows how the game has evolved. It's not a good thing, in my opinion.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Lawrence has potentially two more games and all it takes is one bad play and he's screwed. I completely understand what is at stake for them and their future. But, I guess I'm more old-school about it. You're taking a risk every time you play. Why someone would want to purposely exclude themselves from their team's bowl game... while they never considered missing a regular season game... just doesn't seem right to me.

I could possibly be persuaded if a team were 6-6, or like this season where sub-50% teams are getting bowl bids, and a player has a draft potential. But, I'm a much harder sell when it comes to typical seasons when a team has a bowl game and the team is 8-3, or 9-2 and the bowl is substantial and means a lot to the team, school, coaches, future recruits, and fans. That team, school, coaches and fans helped the players get to where they are and, while they're not obligated to play, it just shows how the game has evolved. It's not a good thing, in my opinion.
It’s not a good thing that’s for sure but I try to liken it to my job. I’m a team player, and we have a very tight knit group on my team at work.

But I’m 99.9% that if any of us had to make a choice on what we thought was best for our own long term wellbeing or what’s best for other members of the team, people will choose what’s best for them personally.

Reactions: bluetoe
It’s not a good thing that’s for sure but I try to liken it to my job. I’m a team player, and we have a very tight knit group on my team at work.

But I’m 99.9% that if any of us had to make a choice on what we thought was best for our own long term wellbeing or what’s best for other members of the team, people will choose what’s best for them personally.

But that's assuming what's best for the team is different than what's best for you individually and that's just not the case. The needs of the individual and the needs of the group can be met all at once.

Not only that, but we're talking about income/employment vs sports.

Fun, comp & camaraderie are usually going to come second behind employment/income for adults, and these 21 yr olds are adults. The damage by Dyami's lack of support for his old teammates is restricted to whether or not they get a W in a game. Their lives revolve around that game right now, but a tiny fraction of them will still have their lives revolve around the game beyond college.

It is a total sellout, this risk is low, but i don't really blame these adults before putting their employment/income needs over their teammates needs to compete well in a ball game. If someone just decided to quit at some point to focus on MCAT for entrance into med school or something i'd feel the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT