ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Not only that, but we're talking about income/employment vs sports.

Fun, comp & camaraderie are usually going to come second behind employment/income for adults, and these 21 yr olds are adults. The damage by Dyami's lack of support for his old teammates is restricted to whether or not they get a W in a game. Their lives revolve around that game right now, but a tiny fraction of them will still have their lives revolve around the game beyond college.
Well, a bigger elephant-in-the-room is the fact that collegiate sports are not "amateur" anyway. Dabo Swinney probably makes more money than his entire team, their families, the coaching staff, and Pickens County, SC combined. I'm exaggerating, but not by much!

Reactions: bluetoe and blazers
3 things come to mind

Christian who is very public about his belief
Winner several times over
Clemson
Maybe the winner part, but I don't get the other two. Plenty of Christians don't like him and nobody cares about clemson, other than football, outside of SC.

Errbody wrong. I was hating on him for his stupid bulletin material he gave osu.
You mad he speaking the truth? It was pretty laughable that they even made the playoffs. Six games isn't enough. Doesn't matter how good you are. But they bring in money, so everything is ok.

Proud of the guys who didn't quit.

Might as well hire Fedora as OC if our red zone play calling is going to be as bad as it was last night.

• Wow
Reactions: strummingram
Proud of the guys who didn't quit.

Might as well hire Fedora as OC if our red zone play calling is going to be as bad as it was last night.
Yeah... Longo is to blame for missing two TD opportunities and opting for FGs. Field goals in that game were never going to be enough.

Ok,how much of a factor was the kids who sat out and the games outcome? Also, it was my fault we lost. I made it home when we still had the lead in the 4th quarter. All down hill from there

Reactions: heelmanwilm
We just don’t have the athletes on defense to compete with the likes of a&m. The notre dame qb ran around and made our guys look like 3rd graders chasing a chicken. When that same qb faced elite athletes at Clemson and bama he just got sacked. Same with the a&m rb. He looked like a heisman winner with all our broken tackles and missed angles. We’re better than we were two yrs ago. Way the fuk better. But we still don’t have the personnel on defense to compete with the big boys. Some bad play calling def contributed but just as with notre dame when it came crunch time and we had to have stops late in the game we couldn’t produce them.

Reactions: Grayhead
Ok,how much of a factor was the kids who sat out and the games outcome? Also, it was my fault we lost. I made it home when we still had the lead in the 4th quarter. All down hill from there
I think the RBs were the only big difference.

I don't Dyami made too much of a difference. A&M might have a different approach with Khafre/Downs out there instead of Dyami, but then Downs burned them for a long TD.

Sam thru some really bad balls. Sailing things over heads more than usual. There were a few bad drops, but Dyami has those occasionally too.

As for the D, Asante was pretty good, he was a bright spot actually in pointing to some LB competency post-Chazz 2021. But Chazz probably would've had a few more gaps correct or early recognition of things.

A&M's D didn't look as dominant as Notre's, though quick & disruptive on their own. But I think the two RB's could've made the game much closer. Better blocking from Javonte/Carter and obviously the YAC that Javonte is capable of.... he probably picks up that final down.

Reactions: Grayhead
We just don’t have the athletes on defense to compete with the likes of a&m. The notre dame qb ran around and made our guys look like 3rd graders chasing a chicken. When that same qb faced elite athletes at Clemson and bama he just got sacked. Same with the a&m rb. He looked like a heisman winner with all our broken tackles and missed angles. We’re better than we were two yrs ago. Way the fuk better. But we still don’t have the personnel on defense to compete with the big boys. Some bad play calling def contributed but just as with notre dame when it came crunch time and we had to have stops late in the game we couldn’t produce them.
while that may be true about our defense in that context, the reason we made the Orange Bowl and competed well in it while seriously knee-capped personnel-wise, is because of the defense. Don't laugh. Compare the defense now not just to two years ago but to earlier in the year, and then understand that the reason we amassed 540 someting rushing yards against Miami is because the defense gave them the opportunity.....an opportunity that it wasn't providing earlier on in the season.

That being sad, I also remember one of the talking heads pointing out that when we had sacked the QB twice, they had only been sacked like six times all season. Not too shabby. I think the lack of depth is what has been wearing us down.

We are young and don't have the depth yet to be outstanding. But where I was beginning to have doubts about Bateman, I now see hope for what I have always loved best about a good Carolina team, which is a stifling defense. I am heartened by this game.

I think the RBs were the only big difference.

I don't Dyami made too much of a difference. A&M might have a different approach with Khafre/Downs out there instead of Dyami, but then Downs burned them for a long TD.

Sam thru some really bad balls. Sailing things over heads more than usual. There were a few bad drops, but Dyami has those occasionally too.

As for the D, Asante was pretty good, he was a bright spot actually in pointing to some LB competency post-Chazz 2021. But Chazz probably would've had a few more gaps correct or early recognition of things.

A&M's D didn't look as dominant as Notre's, though quick & disruptive on their own. But I think the two RB's could've made the game much closer. Better blocking from Javonte/Carter and obviously the YAC that Javonte is capable of.... he probably picks up that final down.
I think Sam has good confidence but I don't think he has the giant ego of a real killer. He probably feels the weight of responsibility a little too much. Hopefully he'll get over that.

Is Longo the one that decides when to go for it though? I thought that decision was Mack's to make.
he isn't the one who decided to go for it, a call I completely agreed with. But I am sure he was who decided, on a night when our RB's were being fairly well contained, to send a back straight into the teeth of a defense that was just waiting for him.

while that may be true about our defense in that context, the reason we made the Orange Bowl and competed well in it while seriously knee-capped personnel-wise, is because of the defense. Don't laugh. Compare the defense now not just to two years ago but to earlier in the year, and then understand that the reason we amassed 540 someting rushing yards against Miami is because the defense gave them the opportunity.....an opportunity that it wasn't providing earlier on in the season.

That being sad, I also remember one of the talking heads pointing out that when we had sacked the QB twice, they had only been sacked like six times all season. Not too shabby. I think the lack of depth is what has been wearing us down.

We are young and don't have the depth yet to be outstanding. But where I was beginning to have doubts about Bateman, I now see hope for what I have always loved best about a good Carolina team, which is a stifling defense. I am heartened by this game.

i agree. I’m just saying that although the defense is better, it’s just not up to the levels talent wise to compete with playoff caliber teams

I freaking loved those uni's and I hope they (or some variation) become the standard. Not a drop of argyle anywhwere
Those unis were decent in the 90's and ok as a one off during the season. But we have a top five uniform right now with the most creative tie in between all sports. It's something that we should never get rid of. Just the fact that they upset moo fans is reason enough to keep them. Also, you have to be wrong, because @gteeitup hates the unis as well. No way you guys can agree on something.

Reactions: bluetoe
I think of the WF game and shudder, but after watching Notre, Miami & A&M, i'm back to officially really liking Bateman.

Reactions: bluetoe
Final rankings
Unc total offense 5th
Total defense 59th
Opponent yards per play is 78. Yikes, feels like we were better than that though.

81st opponent-points-per-play

48 in opponent 3rd down conversion.

edit @heelmanwilm where you see those stats? teamrankings also has us in the 70's in total pts and total yards.

I think Bateman and Longo are good enough to consistently win the division, if for no other reason than the rest of the teams suck. I don't see them consistently challenging Clemson for a ACC championship and/or CFP spot. We would need to recruit at an elite level or have Clemson fall off, if they are our coordinators.

Reactions: uncboy10
Opponent yards per play is 78. Yikes, feels like we were better than that though.

81st opponent-points-per-play

48 in opponent 3rd down conversion.

edit @heelmanwilm where you see those stats? teamrankings also has us in the 70's in total pts and total yards.

I think Bateman and Longo are good enough to consistently win the division, if for no other reason than the rest of the teams suck. I don't see them consistently challenging Clemson for a ACC championship and/or CFP spot. We would need to recruit at an elite level or have Clemson fall off, if they are our coordinators.
Generally I feel jimmys/joes > x&o's, but I especially feel this is true on the defensive side. So i'm happy if we can keep Bateman. Longo could be better, he could also be Gary Tranquil, Shoop, etc

From what I can tell, you're saying that Carter, Surratt and Brown should play in the Orange Bowl this year because of the importance the game is for the UNC football program.

I can't tell if you're serious about the Howell-not-playing-next-year comments or not. That's why I asked you if you were serious.

my boy Strum...

ThinObviousAmericanbittern-max-1mb.gif

Those unis were decent in the 90's and ok as a one off during the season. But we have a top five uniform right now with the most creative tie in between all sports. It's something that we should never get rid of. Just the fact that they upset moo fans is reason enough to keep them. Also, you have to be wrong, because @gteeitup hates the unis as well. No way you guys can agree on something.

"Also, you have to be wrong, because @gteeitup hates the unis as well. No way you guys can agree on something."

you know what they say about a broken clock....

I don't care about all that silly argyle crap on our frilly argyle uni's, and your opinion about us having a top five uni is just that...your opinion. All we need for a tie-in to other sports is Carolina blue. Those uniforms last night, complete with blue helmet, gave me back some pride I've been missing.

i agree. I’m just saying that although the defense is better, it’s just not up to the levels talent wise to compete with playoff caliber teams
yet we very likely would have won that game with that defense if we had the opted-out players, and A&M is basically a playoff team. A&M only won the game in the last three minutes or so. How is that not competing with a playoff caliber team?

And I was mistaken in my previous post. We ended up sacking them three times where they had only been sacked FOUR times all season. That alone has to say something good about our D talent. What we need is some depth, and it's coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT