ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Clemson looked terrible though. Their offense looks about like ours did in the first half against VT.

I won’t be surprised if DJ loses the starting job next year to Klubnik and ends up in the transfer portal.

Wouldn't mind that a bit. It's about time they missed on a QB or two. Plus DJ's little brother looks to be an absolute beast and I'd rather not see him at Clemson.

We better get a helluva lot better before the ND game or they will beat the dog shit out of us.

I'm just worried about conference games right now. ND game doesn't matter to me.

Yeah... the ACC games are probably about all that matters at this point. It's basically a free shot at getting the big game monkey off our back though.

I'm only worried about tonight at 7:30. The other games, after the game ahead, are irrelevant.

Clemson is obviously beatable.

Clemson's offense is proving how wrong recruiting rankings can be, even for a position that gets as much attention as QB.

It's one thing to not quite live up to the hype. But this dude is just straight up not very good. He's obviously got athleticism but just can't work through progressions or stop staring down receivers.

But dammit just imagine if we could've signed Shipley...

I remember state missing that game winning FG against clemson a few years back... I wonder if we're about to see a repeat of that. Clemson just always seems to get lucky in these close games.

On another note, I love the jokes about state and dook women being ugly. But all jokes aside, there seriously might not be a single attractive woman anywhere in that stadium.

It's probably dumb to even think about, but in the extremely unlikely event that we win out, we want clemson to be ranked as high as possible in the ACCCG. So Clemson losing doesn't help us in any way shape or form. If anything it would just give NCeST more to play for against us...

Posted this on blitz, but I'll post here too.

I think it's time that we, as fans, change our expectations for UNC football. Too many times we've expected to have good seasons only to be disappointed. Why do we even expect more than average at this point. Let me give you some historical numbers:

Sub .600 all time record
15-20 bowl record
5 ACC titles (last one in 1980)
0 Heismans

Since our last acc championship, we've had 8 seasons with 3 or less wins compared with 5 seasons with 10 or more. That's the definition of a mediocre program. So, why don't we reset our expectations to the type of program we are? I've never seen another mediocre program have fans expecting what we expect.

Why can't we just accept being happy with an 8 win season? The historical evidence says we should. I'm not saying we shouldn't hope for it, but it makes no sense to expect it. We make ourselves miserable for no reason. There's no sleeping giant, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to enjoy a season.

Imagine going into the season with a rational expectation of 7 wins and then winning eight. We would be happy about the season instead of expecting 10 and winning eight. Let's just be happy with who we are.

Posted this on blitz, but I'll post here too.

I think it's time that we, as fans, change our expectations for UNC football. Too many times we've expected to have good seasons only to be disappointed. Why do we even expect more than average at this point. Let me give you some historical numbers:

Sub .600 all time record
15-20 bowl record
5 ACC titles (last one in 1980)
0 Heismans

Since our last acc championship, we've had 8 seasons with 3 or less wins compared with 5 seasons with 10 or more. That's the definition of a mediocre program. So, why don't we reset our expectations to the type of program we are? I've never seen another mediocre program have fans expecting what we expect.

Why can't we just accept being happy with an 8 win season? The historical evidence says we should. I'm not saying we shouldn't hope for it, but it makes no sense to expect it. We make ourselves miserable for no reason. There's no sleeping giant, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to enjoy a season.

Imagine going into the season with a rational expectation of 7 wins and then winning eight. We would be happy about the season instead of expecting 10 and winning eight. Let's just be happy with who we are.
okay... you talked me into it. I've known the football program was going to be mediocre ever since Mack Brown left in '97. And, hiring him again was, to me, proof that the powers-that-be only WANT a 8-/7-5 team. Brown is WAY past his prime and his assistants are mediocre. But, he's enjoying his token coaching job. He's not hungry to win games at all.

The inability to be content with mediocre might due to the potential that it could be great and then the perpetual squandering of that potential.

And, now that kids regularly quit on their teams when they go to bowl games, why care at all, really? Unless you're one of the half-dozen perennial winning programs that ALWAYS get THE BEST recruits and go to the CFP bowls, there's no reason to get really excited about any of it, in my opinion.

Reactions: tarheel0910
so, i’m done with expectations until they beat a good team…done posting, done caring about uniforms until it’s about a title, just done.

not even sure it’s even about the play callers anymore as much as it’s about the play calling…just weird s going on.

I’ll say this, sam howell does not need to win games on his own, he’s not a pro yet.

Here's an interesting question. The longer Sam plays this year, the more draft stock he will lose. Should he just sit out the rest of the year and prepare for the draft? I know he won't and I don't want him to, but if you apply the logic of sitting out the bowl then Sam should just say goodbye and good luck.

Here's an interesting question. The longer Sam plays this year, the more draft stock he will lose. Should he just sit out the rest of the year and prepare for the draft? I know he won't and I don't want him to, but if you apply the logic of sitting out the bowl then Sam should just say goodbye and good luck.
Sam Howell won't do that. For all we know, he'll come back for his senior year, at this point. Is he ready for the NFL??? I really don't know.

We'd have to see more players, like him( as good as him), who are NFL-bound actually DO that, before we can really tell. If that were to become something that occurs regularly? Then, support and enthusiasm for college football would drop-off. If players start quitting on their teams like that, then to hell with it. We're not seeing that, yet. For now, they just quit on their teams when bowl season rolls around.

Sam Howell won't do that. For all we know, he'll come back for his senior year, at this point. Is he ready for the NFL??? I really don't know.

We'd have to see more players, like him( as good as him), who are NFL-bound actually DO that, before we can really tell. If that were to become something that occurs regularly? Then, support and enthusiasm for college football would drop-off. If players start quitting on their teams like that, then to hell with it. We're not seeing that, yet. For now, they just quit on their teams when bowl season rolls around.
I agree with all of that. I was just saying it as a hypothetical. If you apply the player first logic that's used for sitting out a bowl, it seems like it would be just as logical to sit out the rest of the season. Especially behind this OL.

I agree with all of that. I was just saying it as a hypothetical. If you apply the player first logic that's used for sitting out a bowl, it seems like it would be just as logical to sit out the rest of the season. Especially behind this OL.
I've never understood why anyone would want to quit on their team in a bowl game. To me, that's the dumbest logic of all... it lacks logic. The regular season games are played with just as much ferocity and the likelihood of injury is higher in those games, in my opinion. The bowl game is the REWARD for the season! Why the hell kids quit on their teams for that game is beyond me.

You can suffer a torn ACL against Shit-For-Brains State as easily as you can against your rival school or a bowl team.

If kids start quitting in mid-season, and doing it often, then college football is toast.

I mean this season is pretty much a total loss at this point. Getting Drake as much experience as possible this year might actually be in the long term best interest of the program.

That said, I don’t want to see him get hurt before his career even really gets going. And he sure as hell should be learning a new scheme next year with a new OC anyways.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I mean this season is pretty much a total loss at this point. Getting Drake as much experience as possible this year might actually be in the long term best interest of the program.

That said, I don’t want to see him get hurt before his career even really gets going. And he sure as hell should be learning a new scheme next year with a new OC anyways.
He might transfer, for all we know. Why stay?

He might transfer, for all we know. Why stay?

I think this loss probably really stung the guys in the locker room. Players will believe until the hope is completely dead. If they had ran the table they could’ve made a conference title and maybe even the playoff. Obviously we may know that was unlikely but those guys go to practice and workouts every day because they want to fight for everything that could even possibly still be on the table. But if Mack loses the locker room, and that fight dies out... we could be looking at a mass exodus. Plenty of young guys on this roster could easily find somewhere else to play. Drake included.

I think this loss probably really stung the guys in the locker room. Players will believe until the hope is completely dead. If they had ran the table they could’ve made a conference title and maybe even the playoff. Obviously we may know that was unlikely but those guys go to practice and workouts every day because they want to fight for everything that could even possibly still be on the table. But if Mack loses the locker room, and that fight dies out... we could be looking at a mass exodus. Plenty of young guys on this roster could easily find somewhere else to play. Drake included.
That was my whole point. There's nothing to stay for, if you're Drake Maye. I mean, his dad and brother might try to encourage him to stay a Tar Heel. But, why risk your one chance at a great college career by blowing it at a school with sub-par coaching and everything else that gets mentioned here on a daily basis.

That was my whole point. There's nothing to stay for, if you're Drake Maye. I mean, his dad and brother might try to encourage him to stay a Tar Heel. But, why risk your one chance at a great college career by blowing it at a school with sub-par coaching and everything else that gets mentioned here on a daily basis.

I would imagine Drake would want to at least have the job for a year and see what things look like before transferring. If he has a solid year as an individual then at least he’ll know he has options.

I LOL at people who berated basketball fans pulling for other teams in FB.
Hype builds teams into what they are not. I am hoping mack can build us to a contender. Reality says it's past his time.

imo, i would be surprised if sam sat or returned for his senior season…the film is out there...how can he improve other than throw more check downs lol.

he holds onto the ball too long, yep…that might be the offense, though…these routes aren’t giving him a chance…it’s really too bad his line is a mess and only has one legit receiver.

he’s mobile and he’s strong, but his arm talent sets him apart…those hash mark to sideline throws are incredible…some franchise out there will draft him because they believe he’s brees or mayfield…you think these five franchises aren’t scouting him?

carolina
atlanta
houston
minnesota
washington

i’ll also add that there are three guys rated higher right now and if you haven’t watched them you should; corral, rattler, and daniels

daniels is a fringe 1st, so i guess howell would be slotted as a 2-4 rd.

Mack has always been a recruiter/CEO type of coach. He clearly can still recruit. But does he have the CEO skills to make a change at offensive coordinator before Longo kills his second tenure? I guess time will tell.

Longo and Searles both need to be fired for sure. I think you can make the argument that Bateman should go too, but I think in his case you have to look at the other options and make sure there is a better one.

If this were Bama then a lot of big boosters would be refusing to cut checks until Longo and Searles were gone. I’m afraid that it’s going to take something like that where Bubba essentially has to lean on Mack to get rid of those guys.

Coaches often have a weird bias towards believing that the scheme is fine, and the problem is execution. That’s clearly not the case with the offense. We need fresh blood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT