ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

I'm enjoying watching maye. Hopefully they figure out the D and can compete soon. But Maye is fun to watch
Except when he makes a foolish and dangerous decision to risk a very serious injury in order to get a few extra yards in a game that's already over.

Except when he makes a foolish and dangerous decision to risk a very serious injury in order to get a few extra yards in a game that's already over.

not when he plays leapfrog
I agree with that. Cam would do the same as well. But he has skill and will be a joy to watch for a few years. Kid is a baller. Imagine that MOJO on a BB court

Reactions: bluetoe
Tar Heels are 3.5 point underdogs as of now against the Canes.
they're all coin-flips imo.

As long as Maye stays healthy, O is the go cuz we aren't going to see defenses much better than ND (and VT wasn't too bad) til NCSU. So everything could easily be a shoot-out or in the hands of turnover luck.

Agreed, but it's hard to coach someone to not go all out. It's just not a switch you can turn off. Sam was taught to slide for three years and it still hasn't worked.

I agree with that. Cam would do the same as well. But he has skill and will be a joy to watch for a few years. Kid is a baller. Imagine that MOJO on a BB court
who, Cam Sexton? Nahhh.

Cam_Sexton_Hurdles_Notre_Dame.jpg

Agreed, but it's hard to coach someone to not go all out. It's just not a switch you can turn off. Sam was taught to slide for three years and it still hasn't worked.
Go all out is subjective. Have some self-preservation instinct and realize that you're not "going all out" when you risk your well-being, and the team's well being, by doing things like that. Play smarter and the team goes farther, and so does the longevity of his playing career. The switch will turn off when he's on the sidelines in a cast, or worse. Too late then.

Go all out is subjective. Have some self-preservation instinct and realize that you're not "going all out" when you risk your well-being, and the team's well being, by doing things like that. Play smarter and the team goes farther, and so does the longevity of his playing career. The switch will turn off when he's on the sidelines in a cast, or worse. Too late then.
That's just not the way it works with an athlete. That extra yard is what you want because that's what the team needs. It's hard wired into your brain. It's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't played sports that much.

That's just not the way it works with an athlete. That extra yard is what you want because that's what the team needs. It's hard wired into your brain. It's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't played sports that much.
That much? LOL Thank you for your presumptions. I guess not.

If he winds up on the sidelines, his hard-wired brain can think it over while he's watching the games and not playing.

That much? LOL Thank you for your presumptions. I guess not.

If he winds up on the sidelines, his hard-wired brain can think it over while he's watching the games and not playing.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be condescending. You've just never said anything on here about playing sports that I can recall. I guess I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be condescending. You've just never said anything on here about playing sports that I can recall. I guess I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't.
I played baseball and football through junior high... then I never really got much bigger, or better. And, I never had the visceral passion for it, in order to devote what was necessary to keep playing.

I understand that is required. I appreciate his passion and desire, but defenses will see that as a chink in the armor at some point. They can exploit his tendency to take those risks and when he's out of the game, he's not a threat to them anymore. I don't even think Mack Brown or Phil Longo want him to do that. Sooner or later, it will cost him big-time.

There are a lot of successful QBs that have desire and want to go all out, but they don't sacrifice their bodies unnecessarily.

I agree that it is almost impossible to take that never ending fight out of a real competitor. That said, it is possible to break bad habits. Drake clearly got this hurdle move in his head at some point, so breaking that habit has to be the first priority. Getting him to slide when a first down or touchdown isn't in play will be the next step.

He's clearly unsure of if/when to slide and that hesitation is more likely to get him injured than a routine tackle.

I agree that it is almost impossible to take that never ending fight out of a real competitor. That said, it is possible to break bad habits. Drake clearly got this hurdle move in his head at some point, so breaking that habit has to be the first priority. Getting him to slide when a first down or touchdown isn't in play will be the next step.

He's clearly unsure of if/when to slide and that hesitation is more likely to get him injured than a routine tackle.
let's cut the crap. Longo should have brought this under control long before it ever became a topic for discussion. Taking the competition out of the competitor is not a real concern, and applying some discipline isn't some great challenge. That last hurdle could have cost us a season and maybe even Drake a career. You don't allow this kind of recklessness to keep taking place if you're any kind of coach at all. Is Drake Maye extremely competitive? You damn right. That's why a little pine time would go a long way.

In no way do I support Maye taking a seat on the bench. I've seen Criswell and I'm not at all impressed. But I do believe the tendency to run and the tendency to grind for every yard can and should be coached out of him. First of all, I wish we'd stop calling so many damn designed runs for Drake. I hated it when we over-did it with Sam and I hate it now. Let the RBs run the damn ball. Drake should have 2, maybe 3 designed runs per game and they should be designed in a way to get him out on the edge to where he can get to the sideline and protect himself. And then the staff needs to emphasize the importance of finding the sideline or sliding.

In no way do I support Maye taking a seat on the bench. I've seen Criswell and I'm not at all impressed. But I do believe the tendency to run and the tendency to grind for every yard can and should be coached out of him. First of all, I wish we'd stop calling so many damn designed runs for Drake. I hated it when we over-did it with Sam and I hate it now. Let the RBs run the damn ball. Drake should have 2, maybe 3 designed runs per game and they should be designed in a way to get him out on the edge to where he can get to the sideline and protect himself. And then the staff needs to emphasize the importance of finding the sideline or sliding.
Given the greatness of our OL, I think most of those runs aren't designed that way.

Reactions: blazers
I always laugh when mountains are made out of molehills. All it would take would be either the serious threat of or a very brief stint on the bench. No where was it implied that Criswell would become the starter. That's why I made sure to mention Maye's competitiveness....one small taste of pine or the threat thereof would do the trick. But the point is that things should never have gotten so far as for that last hurdle to have taken place. It...that foolhardiness...should have been nipped in the bud long before....and a little pine time would be a small price to pay to avoid ending a season or even what should be a long and prosperous career.

Longo is the QB coach as well as the OC. It's his place to develop his players and developing them includes not letting them get themselves killed.

another coachable aspect that seems to be lacking attention.

I was under the impression the fight for starting qb was razor close. So I assumed criswell would not be that much a drop off should maye get hurt. Am i wrong?

I was under the impression the fight for starting qb was razor close. So I assumed criswell would not be that much a drop off should maye get hurt. Am i wrong?
I think there's a significant drop off as is, but IMO with some playing time he could probably move us down the field pretty well.

Thats what the coaches said but I don’t think it was ever that close. They probably just wanted them to both keep competing and make sure that they had a decent backup on the roster. But in reality Criswell is nowhere near Drake’s level. I don’t think he even runs the ball as well as Maye does.

Thats what the coaches said but I don’t think it was ever that close. They probably just wanted them to both keep competing and make sure that they had a decent backup on the roster. But in reality Criswell is nowhere near Drake’s level. I don’t think he even runs the ball as well as Maye does.
Yeah, I think it was just coach speak. It also made sure that Criswell wouldn't transfer.

The few snaps he's had, he looked pretty...meh.
I wouldn't judge too much by that although I agree. He has the psychological need to impress on every scarce play he's allowed to participate in, and that along with few reps to find a groove in can cause the try-too-hard syndrome. If he ever gets the chance to manage the offense indefinitely, I would be surprised if he doesn't look like a different player.

One important thing that will not be the same between Criswell and Maye is the ability to see the field and to see routes working according to scheme. Maye seems to have a real gift for that, and he's just getting started. You can see that when he runs as much as when he's passing, but if I understand the Air Raid deal correctly, the QB needs to be able to anticipate what the receiver will do according to what he's reacting to.

5-1. Didn't really see that coming. Might be a repeat of 2015. Run the table against a shit schedule. Better than losing against a shit schedule, though.

Reactions: uncboy10
I will openly admit, I did not think they would be Miami. The five and one record doesn't really mean a whole lot given the people they played. But I'm definitely happy with the five and one record LOL

Just don't choke against dook, GT, or UVA and it's going to be pretty tough not to win the coastal. Pitt would just about have to run the table and beat us to knock the Heels off. Beat them and the NCSU game won't even be a factor.

ETA: I think Miami is significantly more talented than anyone else on the schedule and we beat them with Maye having what will probably end up being the worst game of his college career. I know that this program has always found ways to lose games they shouldn't, but anything less than running the table against the rest of the Coastal should be considered unacceptable.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Just don't choke against dook, GT, or UVA and it's going to be pretty tough not to win the coastal. Pitt would just about have to run the table and beat us to knock the Heels off. Beat them and the NCSU game won't even be a factor.

ETA: I think Miami is significantly more talented than anyone else on the schedule and we beat them with Maye having what will probably end up being the worst game of his college career. I know that this program has always found ways to lose games they shouldn't, but anything less than running the table against the rest of the Coastal should be considered unacceptable.
A lot can happen. Georgia tech beat Duke today. You just never know. North Carolina is not really dominant in any game except the one against Virginia tech. And apparently they are god-awful.

Seems like Miami is always more talented than anyone in the coastal, but manage to always screw it up. I guess they're basically a more talented version of us.

When Miami got stopped at the goal line, I will admit that when I came back from my... dropping the kids off at the pool... I was in shock. I just took for granted Miami was definitely going to score and it was good a time as any to have a brown baby boy.

A lot can happen. Georgia tech beat Duke today. You just never know. North Carolina is not really dominant in any game except the one against Virginia tech. And apparently they are god-awful.

That's true but dook, UVA and GT are horrendous. Probably every bit as bad as VT, if not worse. IF* we win those three then the math is on our side. Pitt already has one loss so even if we lost to them, they'd have to run the table, or drop only one more game and hope we lose to NCeST.

We have Pitt at home. They still have to play Miami on the road and a top 25 Cuse team. I don't think they're likely to win all three of those. Ideally, we'd just beat them and keep control of our own destiny, but theres a lot of different scenarios where the ball could bounce our way even with a loss against Pitt. Assuming we beat the three stooges.

I know it's Carolina football, but this team really does have a shot at winning 9 or 10 games. The rest of the schedule is just really, really bad.

Heels might just sneak into the top 25 if a few other "also receiving votes" teams lose.

I know it's Carolina football, but this team really does have a shot at winning 9 or 10 games. The rest of the schedule is just really, really bad
That would probably help recruiting pick back up and would also mean that we are probably getting better on D. This would come right at the time division go away and we start playing harder schedules, which stops any momentum we would have. That's Carolina football.

No they aren't. Probably the best teams we'll play, but they are average.
I dunno... I think WF is pretty damn good. They're all about 27 or 28, so it makes sense that they would be. You just know that game will be 68-64 or something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT