ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

So Pitt lost to Louisville this weekend meaning we probably fall backwards into the ACCCG now. And frankly, Clemson isn't scary like usual. So we could potentially win the ACC. Would we be the worst P5 conference champion, like ever? Still a long way to go, I know. But we could potentially lose to WFU and moo, meaning we'd end up in the championship game having not beaten a ranked team.
I think one of the previous PAC-12 champs would probably be worse. At least we would have to beat a top ten team in the championship game. Moo would be a bad loss, though. The only team that's left on the schedule that's decent is WF.

I'm assuming that will happen in Charlottesville.
It's gotta happen sometime! lol

It's weird how some coaches have the inability to beat certain teams, or in certain places... and, they're just standing there. Mack Brown cannot beat FSU. It must be in his contract. And, UVa in Charlottesville is another one he can't manage to obtain.

Reactions: tarheel0910
crazy thing is, carolina can beat clemson this year fwiw.
can. Not even a hopefully will. Clemson is a little off their game this year but they are more than capable of stomping a mudhole in us. And when they are motivated to make up for lost time....

Defense needs to come around fast.

next year, hopefully…he’ll definitely have a better cast around him.

I am happy to see him not getting tossed to the wolves quite yet, like Mitch was. Sam had some glaring bad tendencies to iron out and hopefully those are being corrected while he bides his time.

can. Not even a hopefully will. Clemson is a little off their game this year but they are more than capable of stomping a mudhole in us. And when they are motivated to make up for lost time....

I am happy to see him not getting tossed to the wolves quite yet, like Mitch was. Sam had some glaring bad tendencies to iron out and hopefully those are being corrected while he bides his time.
I'm not sure that Clemson is off their game at all. They intentionally brought in the back-up QB against the best competition of the season, and still won. They'll be in the championship game, and they will win it.

mitch had to play for various reasons, the coach and gm first and foremost…they had to hitch their jobs to that pick and a qb to boot, that’s just the nature.

if it’s an o-lineman or an elite defensive player like clowney, i don’t believe the pressure is nearly the same…look how many coaches mayfield has gotten fired haha.

re: clemson, i’m fully aware of what they are capable of, but they don’t seem to be…their issue still remains and is finally not ours, the qb.

mitch had to play for various reasons, the coach and gm first and foremost…they had to hitch their jobs to that pick and a qb to boot, that’s just the nature.

if it’s an o-lineman or an elite defensive player like clowney, i don’t believe the pressure is nearly the same…look how many coaches mayfield has gotten fired haha.

re: clemson, i’m fully aware of what they are capable of, but they don’t seem to be…their issue still remains and is finally not ours, the qb.
I'm aware Mitch had to be thrown to the wolves, and that was mostly his own doing by getting ahead of himself....but it was still being thrown to the wolves.

Re the possible Clemmies game.....QB is one piece of the puzzle, albeit an important one....and there are 20 plus other pieces. I don't expect a championship game with them to come down to an a-hole officiating call like the last time. But you know I hope you're right.

I watched a show on the ACC channel about GT and Clemson's natties, and although we weren't the main feature, we looked good tying GT and slugging it out with Clemson. The good ol' days when football was football.

I'm not sure that Clemson is off their game at all. They intentionally brought in the back-up QB against the best competition of the season, and still won. They'll be in the championship game, and they will win it.
can't argue with it. I want to but I can't.

do i have this right?…a win tomorrow night and the coastal is ours?

eta: nm, forgot gatech is still hanging around.

I hope Drake passes Winston for the record of most td passes by a freshman. I hope he gets to go to NYC!

I haven't watched Stroud or any other top QBs, but Drake is an unfair advantage. He is making longo's RedZone O look pretty efficient too

Defense played a really good game. If it can keep playing that way we can be really good. I'd be ok with some better CBs, though.

The defense was absolute dogshit until late. They played a great 4th quarter but for the first 40 or so minutes, they looked like the pitiful defense we've been dragging around with us all year. But then they flipped the switch.

Drake Maye is not only a Heisman candidate, but IMO, he should be the frontrunner. The reason he isn't is because our team has played no one and he doesn't have any impressive wins. But if voters knew how bad our defense really has been for most of the year, I'd argue any and every win has been impressive.

If the world gets turned upside-down and we somehow were to run the table, including beating Clemson for the title, I don't see how Drake doesn't win it. He has more TDs than any other candidate. He has less INTs than all the other candidates and he averages more YPG than the others.

Drake Maye is not only a Heisman candidate, but IMO, he should be the frontrunner. The reason he isn't is because our team has played no one and he doesn't have any impressive wins. But if voters knew how bad our defense really has been for most of the year, I'd argue any and every win has been impressive.

If the world gets turned upside-down and we somehow were to run the table, including beating Clemson for the title, I don't see how Drake doesn't win it. He has more TDs than any other candidate. He has less INTs than all the other candidates and he averages more YPG than the others.
for his sake, I hope he gets in the Heisman running. But IMO the Heisman has become an overblown, over-hyped dog-and-pony-show kind of thing, just as many things become overblown and lose my interest.. And it's WAY too QB oriented, and I wish they just limited it to the best QB's to cut out the pretense. I pay no attention to it, although of course I would if Maye becomes involved.

We had a candidate once, and he barely got mentioned, an also-ran....until he hit the pros and became the greated defensive player of all time.

Reactions: randman1
for his sake, I hope he gets in the Heisman running. But IMO the Heisman has become an overblown, over-hyped dog-and-pony-show kind of thing, just as many things become overblown and lose my interest..
you might be right, but it would be quite large for recruiting ... and especially QB recruiting.

Reactions: bluetoe and Archer2
It's not even remotely accurate. They played solid in the first half, especially when the offense was making it harder. The whole second half was excellent.
I dunno... it was pretty bad until the middle of the 3rd quarter. Pitt marched right downt he field in the 3rd quarter. After THAT drive, the UNC defense showed up.

It's not even remotely accurate. They played solid in the first half, especially when the offense was making it harder. The whole second half was excellent.

In the first 3 quarters, Pitt had a nice run/pass balance. Our defensive lineman were losing on the LOS on run plays. Pitt had big chunk runs of 10, 7, 9, 9 and 22 and then some good 2-4 yard runs just to eat clock and advance the ball. Meanwhile, our D-backs were getting absolutely roasted on pass plays. The front 4 couldn't and did not get any pressure on the Pitt QB but the D-backs looked completely lost in coverage. Like, they didn't even know what coverage we were playing. A couple long balls by the Pitt QB were complete prayers but they kept getting answered because our D-backs were so badly out of position. Through the first 3 quarters, they had pass plays of 40,41,21,29,and 50.

From my perspective, the fumble in the beginning of the 4th is what got the defense going and from that point on, the defense played like the talent we have and what we all had hoped to see from them all year.

Bad news - we won the scoreboard but a few guys were broken. Des Evans, Noah Taylor, Caleb Hood all done for the season. Rucker and Nesbit didn't finish the game either. I like that we were hard-nosed and physical, but ouch.

ETA, including Vohasek, that's 3 front-4 starters done for the yr. That xfer of Jacolbe Cowan is looking like a good thing right now. And i'd say Vohasek and Taylor were the most consistent. We'll see if this hurts, if not then Kudos coaches & s&C.

Bad news - we won the scoreboard but a few guys were broken. Des Evans, Noah Taylor, Caleb Hood all done for the season. Rucker and Nesbit didn't finish the game either. I like that we were hard-nosed and physical, but ouch.

ETA, including Vohasek, that's 3 front-4 starters done for the yr. That xfer of Jacolbe Cowan is looking like a good thing right now. And i'd say Vohasek and Taylor were the most consistent. We'll see if this hurts, if not then Kudos coaches & s&C.
Yeah... those are going to be near impossible shoes to fill at this point. That Pitt game might be the high-watermark.

But... there's always #10

If we ran the table, won the ACC, and at least played well in the CFP or win one game, then good chance he'd get it, especially making the title game.

Winning it all would likely guarantee it, but we're dreaming right now. This team has a ways to go and we've piled up some injuries. That being said, every game on our schedule is winnable if we play well.

If we ran the table, won the ACC, and at least played well in the CFP or win one game, then good chance he'd get it, especially making the title game.

Winning it all would likely guarantee it, but we're dreaming right now. This team has a ways to go and we've piled up some injuries. That being said, every game on our schedule is winnable if we play well.
Unfortunately they select the Heisman on December 10.

you might be right, but it would be quite large for recruiting ... and especially QB recruiting.
I'm sure I'm right about the Heisman itself, and others have said pretty much the same...but as I said I would suspend my disdain for it if Maye is in the running.

Winning the Heisman alone wouldn't help recruiting nearly as much as having a great record to go along with it. I think the great record and landing players in the NFL is what puts you in the big leagues of recruiting....the effects of NIL notwithstanding.

In the first 3 quarters, Pitt had a nice run/pass balance. Our defensive lineman were losing on the LOS on run plays. Pitt had big chunk runs of 10, 7, 9, 9 and 22 and then some good 2-4 yard runs just to eat clock and advance the ball. Meanwhile, our D-backs were getting absolutely roasted on pass plays. The front 4 couldn't and did not get any pressure on the Pitt QB but the D-backs looked completely lost in coverage. Like, they didn't even know what coverage we were playing. A couple long balls by the Pitt QB were complete prayers but they kept getting answered because our D-backs were so badly out of position. Through the first 3 quarters, they had pass plays of 40,41,21,29,and 50.

From my perspective, the fumble in the beginning of the 4th is what got the defense going and from that point on, the defense played like the talent we have and what we all had hoped to see from them all year.
Here are Pitt's drives in the first half

8 plays 77 yards TD
3 plays 8 yards Punt
6 plays 15 yards Punt
3 plays 45 yards TD
10 plays 63 yards FG
3 plays 8 yards Punt
3 plays 3 yards Punt

So, they had one really good drive, one drive on an extremely short field (because Longo sucks) and an ok drive resulting in a FG. That's a solid defense, not dog crap. No need to go over the second half since you were so wrong about the first. Pro tip for the future, if @strummingram agrees with you then you should probably rethink your position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT