ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

It's good to be 6-0

Might as well enjoy it for the time we can. However the kids got there...just enjoy it while you can.

I'm still not sold on FSU being back. They look good, but I don't think they have reached the top of that hill.

Well... they're beating teams by huge margins.

UNC also has another hurdle to jump- beating the bad teams that you're supposed to beat. The next few weeks will reveal that.

I'll be in Death Valley next month. I'm considering Atlanta, but that one scares me. Then again, I don't expect to beat Clemson in DV. That's rare.

The most interesting game left is against the dookies. If things don't change, it will be game day there...two top 10 teams!

The thing about making it to this point undefeated is the team now has three games where they will be heavily favored. Obviously they can still choke but that’s ideal for a team needing to sharpen up before a big final run to close the season strong.

I'm 39. I've seen two really good teams and one pretty good team. I would love to see another really good one.
Well... I saw the 1980 team... seems forever ago. I was 11 or 12, but it was great!

I think some of the anxiety is the success itself... from a fan perspective.

They beat the #1 defense by scoring 41 points... and could have been more because of 2 FGs instead of TDs.

They should beat UVA by 50, especially at home. The GT game has ME worried. Bobby Dodd, and ATL are not friendly to UNC.

But, there's really no excuse to not be undefeated when we play the dookies. Game day in Chapel Hill against two unbeatens, and usually the basketball kings, would be epic!

Reactions: tarheel0910
That O Line is a liability. I'm not sure that new OC knows how to utilize SH to his fullest potential. He also might be a work-in-progress.
Not sure how much they can do with the OL right now. Probably going to have to wait until the off season for trades and the draft. He's been playing behind bad lines for a while, so he's used to it. Hopefully he can get some help after the season.

Well... I saw the 1980 team... seems forever ago. I was 11 or 12, but it was great!

I think some of the anxiety is the success itself... from a fan perspective.

They beat the #1 defense by scoring 41 points... and could have been more because of 2 FGs instead of TDs.

They should beat UVA by 50, especially at home. The GT game has ME worried. Bobby Dodd, and ATL are not friendly to UNC.

But, there's really no excuse to not be undefeated when we play the dookies. Game day in Chapel Hill against two unbeatens, and usually the basketball kings, would be epic!
Dukes not undefeated, unless you mean Conference play.you

Reactions: strummingram
Yeah, pretty much every curse was going against us tonight. Playing a top 25 team, nationally televised, night game, throwback unis. Carolina football usually caves when just one of those things happen. I'm getting more nervous about being excited as the year goes on.
I disagree on one point. Give us a good night game at Kenan against a notable rival or opponent and the whole Carolina football world gets turned upside down. Fans are absolutely maniacal, compared to what happens (or doesn't happen) at a 12 nooner...and that's when it becomes apparent that having a loud crowd behind the team makes a big difference. I wish people understood that that's usually part of having a successful program.

Of course alcohol plays a factor in those night games, but so what.

I never said they were reasonable. They are an outlier for us so far. As a whole this year, we haven't made any consistent mistakes except for the OL being bad.
what it indicates is that we are STILL capable of screwing the pooch in a big way in a big game. A really good team doesn't have a defensive lineman line up a foot and a half into the neutral zone TWO TIMES IN A FREAKING ROW, for example. The way we played overall has become fairly commonplace with this good team...we play well in spots and not so well in others We tend to need help from the opponent to come out on top. A really good team that we are in a game with won't be that cooperative.

I'll put it this way, and then I expect you to fall in line and stop being such a homer. Or Homer, if you prefer. Here it is. Ready? We are a pretty good team, but not a really solid, top level team.
And I don't agree that the ACC champ is an automatic. But I'll let you go on thinking that, because you should be allowed some independence of harmless thought regardless of how misguided it is.

I guess 4 TO offsets 14 penalties for 150 yards?
it does if the score ends up that way. The problem is, the score ending up that way isn't a given. That's why they play the games, right?

Or are you like @tarheel0910 and think we can just forego the games and go ahead and pencil in a national championship?

I'm still not sold on FSU being back. They look good, but I don't think they have reached the top of that hill.
if you're saying they aren't quite back, I'm in agreement. But they have the drawing power to recruit their way back into a former prominence and soon.

it does if the score ends up that way. The problem is, the score ending up that way isn't a given. That's why they play the games, right?

Or are you like @tarheel0910 and think we can just forego the games and go ahead and pencil in a national championship?
You need to stop drinking. I've never seriously said anything about a national championship. You actually had to scroll past a post of mine saying I think we might lose to UVA. What I said, and what everyone that watches college football has said, is that there aren't four dominant teams out there. I'm definitely a realistic fan about UNC football. If you were on the football board you would know that. You're just looking for someone to argue with.

Yeah, pretty much every curse was going against us tonight. Playing a top 25 team, nationally televised, night game, throwback unis. Carolina football usually caves when just one of those things happen. I'm getting more nervous about being excited as the year goes on.
New curse: Letting top-10 accolades go to our heads. That plus playing down to competition are probably our biggest foes.

GT is the one that concerns me out of the next three. UVA barely is fielding a team at this point and obviously Campbell isn’t going to be an issue. But it should be easy to keep the team focused for GT since they’ve already upset one ranked team this year.

But it should be easy to keep the team focused for GT
Season 5 Shut Up GIF by Friends

• Haha
Reactions: uncboy10
Unc fb has had great/good season derailed in a myriad of ways. They will find a way. Yes I’m a pessimist. Having first and goal in the 4th qtr with a two td lead looking at a new years bowl and top ten ranking in the face…..and losing…..ruined me. @tarheel0910 knows the pain.

Unc fb has had great/good season derailed in a myriad of ways. They will find a way. Yes I’m a pessimist. Having first and goal in the 4th qtr with a two td lead looking at a new years bowl and top ten ranking in the face…..and losing…..ruined me. @tarheel0910 knows the pain.
Worst experience of my fandom was sitting in Keenan for the 1997 game against FSU. You could just feel the air being sucked out of the stadium.

ETA: Regardless of what Mack and others might say, I think that game was the biggest reason he left for Texas.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
You need to stop drinking. I've never seriously said anything about a national championship. You actually had to scroll past a post of mine saying I think we might lose to UVA. What I said, and what everyone that watches college football has said, is that there aren't four dominant teams out there. I'm definitely a realistic fan about UNC football. If you were on the football board you would know that. You're just looking for someone to argue with.
" You're just looking for someone to argue with. "

hey, finally, it worked. Took you long enough.

Can't get a thing past you, I guess. Now if I can just a get that hook in @heelmanwilm. He's even more reluctant to take the bait than you are.

I've got to think that at least Drake should be focused on one game at a time given he has a father and brother with experience that can constantly remind him to stay focused.

Worst experience of my fandom was sitting in Keenan for the 1997 game against FSU. You could just feel the air being sucked out of the stadium.

ETA: Regardless of what Mack and others might say, I think that game was the biggest reason he left for Texas.
Yepp I was there as well. Brutal. The Oklahoma and Pitt beat downs on natl tv were humbling experiences when unc flirted with being elite. I think okla avg like 20yds a play. As for games I attended after fsu the nc state game at kenan when they had russel Wilson and unc had all that nfl talent was the worst.

Yepp I was there as well. Brutal. The Oklahoma and Pitt beat downs on natl tv were humbling experiences when unc flirted with being elite. I think okla avg like 20yds a play. As for games I attended after fsu the nc state game at kenan when they had russel Wilson and unc had all that nfl talent was the worst.
on the other hand, you have the '79 Gator Bowl against Michigan with their vaunted HC Bo Schembechler, where Michigan had been ranked tenth during the season, and we I think were unranked. The announcers seemed to be dismissing anything resembling a chance we might win, when the game was starting. But as the game progressed, you could hear them being swayed to swing over to praising our toughness and competitiveness, and Lawrence Taylor just flat out made believers out of them. It was a GDTBATH.

And just an aside, the game was announced (on TV) by Keith Jackson. Keith Jackson was the best college football announcer ever, and there will never be anyone better or even as good. I would watch any game being announced by him just to listen to his play-by-play.

I was there too. The saving grace that year was beating the piss out of the Hokies in the bowl game. Our defense is vastly improved, but I want to see us return to a '97 D. Talk about brutal...

Reactions: heelmanwilm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT