ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

trump ran as an outsider and his people believed that then and still believe it.

Ya. I certainly was hoping he was gonna be a change from the establishment. In a way he is, but he's obviously just as corrupt as the rest of the Dem and GOP elite.

It is somewhat better though, I think, because he's not nearly as adept at covering up his tracks as the career politicians - so anything he does will be easily found out. Sort of a "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" type deal for me.

Plus with this guy you have a million sleuths running around willing to lick the dogshit off his shoe in the hopes of fact-checking and finding out he lied about it being dogshit. I guess that's the modern day checks and balances.

Usually the people who really struggle during bad economies are the people who weren't smart enough to make a ton of money when it was good or the people who are doing stupid things with their money/credit.
Fortunately for them if Bernie or Warren win, those people will get to have their cake and eat it too. "Oh you were an idiot and bought a car for twice your annual income while you have a mountain of student loan debt? Don't worry, the poor shmuck that's been riding his bike to work so he can pay down his student loans quickly, like a responsible adult, will pick up the tab for you on that one"

Reactions: dadika13
Fortunately for them if Bernie or Warren win, those people will get to have their cake and eat it too. "Oh you were an idiot and bought a car for twice your annual income while you have a mountain of student loan debt? Don't worry, the poor shmuck that's been riding his bike to work so he can pay down his student loans quickly, like a responsible adult, will pick up the tab for you on that one"

Bingo.

Not at all, for me. If Trump tries to get out of a speeding ticket by leveraging his office, that's an abuse of power. But not a jailable, or even removable offense, IMO.

Is leveraging the office to influence a foreign govt to investigate your most likely opponent in an upcoming election a removable offense? (Hypothetically of course)

Is leveraging the office to influence a foreign govt to investigate your most likely opponent in an upcoming election a removable offense? (Hypothetically of course)
I'm probably not the best to ask on that, because I don't think we should be giving Ukraine any foreign aid at all, so I'm in favor of withholding the whole thing, forever.

And if we are going to give them aid, they should earn it, and have to jump through numerous hoops to get it ("Dance for me, boy!"). But I do think the things we should strong-arm them for on it should be things that benefit the country at large, not an individual politician in a potential upcoming race. If there was benefit to the country for investigating the Bidens, then that's fine (even if it simultaneously helped the President). If there was no benefit to the country, and solely benefited the President, then that's not ok.

All that said, I think it was worthy of censure, but not removal. At least the first time, a repeated offense after censure, then sure.

I'm probably not the best to ask on that, because I don't think we should be giving Ukraine any foreign aid at all, so I'm in favor of withholding the whole thing, forever.
I can understand that position in theory, but we can't really do that in reality because of Russia trying to get in there.

I can understand that position in theory, but we can't really do that in reality because of Russia trying to get in there.

Yup, I understand. If we want influence in the country/region, we either need to pay up for it, or do it by force. And paying is much more internationally acceptable.

I guess the question is, what benefits do we get from having influence there, and what is that really worth to us?

And if we are going to give them aid, they should earn it, and have to jump through numerous hoops to get it ("Dance for me, boy!"). But I do think the things we should strong-arm them for on it should be things that benefit the country at large, not an individual politician in a potential upcoming race. If there was benefit to the country for investigating the Bidens, then that's fine (even if it simultaneously helped the President). If there was no benefit to the country, and solely benefited the President, then that's not ok.

All that said, I think it was worthy of censure, but not removal. At least the first time, a repeated offense after censure, then sure.

I concur

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Yup, I understand. If we want influence in the country/region, we either need to pay up for it, or do it by force. And paying is much more internationally acceptable.

I guess the question is, what benefits do we get from having influence there, and what is that really worth to us?
I'm pretty sure Putin would take over the world if he could, so I would say the benefit is to keep him from expanding Russia's territory. That helps to ensure we will continuing being the big boy on the block.

If Hunter Biden getting a job he wasn’t qualified for is corruption, then what is it called when Trump puts Jared in charge of ‘peace in the Middle East’ despite him having exactly zero foreign policy experience?

If Hunter Biden getting a job he wasn’t qualified for is corruption, then what is it called when Trump puts Jared in charge of ‘peace in the Middle East’ despite him having exactly zero foreign policy experience?
What do you mean he isn't qualified? He's Jewish. Although to be fair, people who are qualified haven't been able to fix that cluster f*** of a situation.

Reactions: uncboy10

Trump kids and family were rich and powerful before Trump got elected.

Biden and his kids and family got rich and powerful after Joe was elected.

See the difference?

John Bolton, a summa cum laude YALE graduate, christian, and Army vet is recess appointed by George bush as ambassador to un

Repubs- “a great man! Great choice! Recess appointments are a president’s right!”

Dems-“a jerk! An idiot! A liar! Horrible human! Recess appointments are unconstitutional!”

Bolton resigns when its obvious he wont be approved by DEM CONTROLLED SENATE

Bolton becomes fox news repub conservative commentator. Where he is a strong advocate for the iraq war.

Repubs; “a wise man! Great commentator! Speaks the truth!”

Dems- “a republican tool! A liar! Cant be trusted!”

Bolton is appointed natl security advisor by Trump

Repubs- “great choice! Great man! “

Dems- “war hawk! Liar! Jerk! Makes the US look bad!”

Bolton resigns over foreign policy differences with trump and writes a book about it

Repubs- “a liar! A jerk! A pos! A democrat tool! Cant be trusted!

Dems- “an honest man! lets hear him out!”

John Bolton, a summa cum laude YALE graduate, christian, and Army vet is recess appointed by George bush as ambassador to un

Repubs- “a great man! Great choice! Recess appointments are a president’s right!”

Dems-“a jerk! An idiot! A liar! Horrible human! Recess appointments are unconstitutional!”

Bolton resigns when its obvious he wont be approved by DEM CONTROLLED SENATE

Bolton becomes fox news repub conservative commentator. Where he is a strong advocate for the iraq war.

Repubs; “a wise man! Great commentator! Speaks the truth!”

Dems- “a republican tool! A liar! Cant be trusted!”

Bolton is appointed natl security advisor by Trump

Repubs- “great choice! Great man! “

Dems- “war hawk! Liar! Jerk! Makes the US look bad!”

Bolton resigns over foreign policy differences with trump and writes a book about it

Repubs- “a liar! A jerk! A pos! A democrat tool! Cant be trusted!

Dems- “an honest man! lets hear him out!”

i still don’t understand why you conflate Trump with Pubs.

the Pubs are latching on to BDD because he’s winning. They would cast him off in a nanosecond if he quit winning.

Reactions: cletusnow
To me, building factories isn't a good thing. Yeah, his base thinks it is but I'd rather we invest in innovation in science and technology than a factory to build T-shirts to employ people at low skill levels.
I don't think anyone is building factories here for t shirts, or at least not a lot of them. I was thinking he meant things like cars, machinery, etc. Of course half of that work is done by machines now, so your probably not hiring a lot of people. I agree with your overall sentiment though.

There was no phone call to Ukraine about biden, the whistle blower is lying

OK so there was a call but Trump didn’t say what the whistleblower claims he said

OK so Trump did say all that but it doesn’t mean there was quid pro quo

OK so there was quid pro quo but it’s not an impeachable offense

Looks like the republican senators on the fence about calling witnesses are going to cave in to Mitch. Not too surprising.

Looks like the republican senators on the fence about calling witnesses are going to cave in to Mitch. Not too surprising.

I'm surprised that we don't have Republican senators in states that don't overly love Trump taking the other side on this.

Tillis/Burr in NC, Collins in ME, Grassley/Ernst in IA, Gardner in CO, Portman in OH, Rubio in FL, Toomey in PA are 9 where it wouldn't be political suicide to break party lines.

I'm surprised that we don't have Republican senators in states that don't overly love Trump taking the other side on this.

Tillis/Burr in NC, Collins in ME, Grassley/Ernst in IA, Gardner in CO, Portman in OH, Rubio in FL, Toomey in PA are 9 where it wouldn't be political suicide to break party lines.
At one point it appeared there were enough to break. Someone or something made them change their mind in the last day or two. Unless something changes, it looks like they might be voting for acquittal as soon as tomorrow.

@prlyles today I was on a tour with an Iranian couple from Manchester. They couldn’t stop talking about how much they love Trump and America.

I have hired them as assistant managers at the General Store and you will now be reporting directly to them. Please be sure to tell them how embarrassed you are about the US of A.

To me, building factories isn't a good thing. Yeah, his base thinks it is but I'd rather we invest in innovation in science and technology than a factory to build T-shirts to employ people at low skill levels.

fair...my point was there’s not even proof of that.

China has the competitive advantage on cheap, unskilled labor. I say let them run with that advantage at the "bottom" of the market. Get good trade terms so we can have access to that, but don't need to actually have as much in the US. I want leadership at the top of the market, in science and tech as mentioned. We should be continuing to invest in innovation in those areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT