ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB's Political Thread . ..

You will have to ask the senate, they were the ones who asked for the FBI.....lol

No, actually the Senate asked the White House to review background check, which is precisely what happened. The White House then requested that the FBI make sure that the background check was thorough, which of course it was. Kavanaugh underwent a much more scrutinous check when he was vetted to carry the nuclear codes for for your boy Bush- this SCOTUS thing is child's play compared to that.

Do you ever get sick of losing?

Reactions: nctransplant
Do you ever get sick of losing?

Apparently not. This is gold though. I do feel bad for Kavenaugh that he's getting dragged through the mud, but it's for the greater good. He'll get confirmed, and then everyone will see the people trying to prevent his confirmation for what they really are. They probably were going to win back a bunch of seats in November, but after this stunt I presume they will have sealed a bunch of their own fates. Karma is a bitch.

Kudos to repub murkowski and dem manchin for having the character and integrity to vote against their party’s wishes and think for themselves. Its nice to know theres at least two senators trying to put country before party. I’d like to think all the repubs and all the dems who voted along party lines are doing the same but then i would be a fuking idiot.

Kudos to repub murkowski and dem manchin for having the character and integrity to vote against their party’s wishes and think for themselves. Its nice to know theres at least two senators trying to put country before party. I’d like to think all the repubs and all the dems who voted along party lines are doing the same but then i would be a fuking idiot.
I'm willing to bet she gave him cover and he did the same to try and save his seat. Don't think she's up for reelection but he might be in trouble.

I also think a name change would be a good idea - something like "the one and only political thread".

Can we wait until after Justice Kavanaugh is confirmed before the name change though? I had come up with a really clever line of: "Hey Billy, hope you don't choke on that popcorn" that I was gonna poast once the confirmation becomes official.

If this is going to be the one (1) political thread, can we pin it? Because I largely ignore the pinned threads. It would also be easier for those wanting to post in it on a regular basis. And last but not least, it would easier for the mods to police it if that were the case. I also think a name change would be a good idea - something like "the one and only political thread". I just think it makes the most sense. Thanks for your consideration. @heelbent @andrew jones @mikeirbyusa

I want some free advertising so let’s name it The Yadkinville General Store Thread

If this is going to be the one (1) political thread, can we pin it? Because I largely ignore the pinned threads. It would also be easier for those wanting to post in it on a regular basis. And last but not least, it would easier for the mods to police it if that were the case. I also think a name change would be a good idea - something like "the one and only political thread". I just think it makes the most sense. Thanks for your consideration. @heelbent @andrew jones @mikeirbyusa
I think the new rule is that politics have to stay in political threads. There is no ban on multiple threads.

Reactions: strummingram
I want to appeal to @andrew jones that we should consider having just one political thread. Part of the problem is political threads gumming up the board. The people here have spoken. Why not do what the majority desires?
The idea of having one thread was never polled, so the people here haven't spoken on that.

ETA: You also have the issue of what is and isn't political. Some people think everything is political. Some people think only a few subjects are. There isn't a good way to decide, so just ignore anything you think is political.

I want to appeal to @andrew jones that we should consider having just one political thread. Part of the problem is political threads gumming up the board. The people here have spoken. Why not do what the majority desires?

It makes no difference to me. Politics is so wide ranging that I'd think different threads for different topics would make sense. Have at it.

I’m at least part of the people and I’ve spoken.
Unfortunately for you, no one cares.

I’ll volunteer for that moderator position - the guy that decides what’s political and what’s not. I’d also support a few others in that role.
Or to make things easier, just ignore a thread you think is political in nature. If they bother you that much you shouldn't read them.

Reactions: uncboy10 and BillyL
Can we wait until after Justice Kavanaugh is confirmed before the name change though? I had come up with a really clever line of: "Hey Billy, hope you don't choke on that popcorn" that I was gonna poast once the confirmation becomes official.

What a very witty response, Joe. I won't choke on any popcorn . . I really don't eat that much of it to be honest. No worries there, mate . . I don't see a name change over what was a well expected confirmation. You can start your own thread iffin' you like tho . . have a nice day.

It makes no difference to me. Politics is so wide ranging that I'd think different threads for different topics would make sense. Have at it.

Makes sense to me too.

Reactions: uncboy10
Apparently not. This is gold though. I do feel bad for Kavenaugh that he's getting dragged through the mud, but it's for the greater good. He'll get confirmed, and then everyone will see the people trying to prevent his confirmation for what they really are. They probably were going to win back a bunch of seats in November, but after this stunt I presume they will have sealed a bunch of their own fates. Karma is a bitch.

A kid in my freshman dorm got thrown out of school because a girl claimed that he raped her. We all sort of raised an eyebrow because it just really didn't seem like his character, but whatever, you don't know what someone is like when they're drunk, horny, etc.

Turns out...this girl admitted a year later to one of our friends that she made it up. She was mad that he didn't want to date her and made up the story. ****ing awful. The kid's life at the time was ruined (he's actually done pretty well for himself these days but still).

I get VERY bothered when some women I'm friends with on FB, on blogs, etc say things like "well, I don't need evidence, I believe her" or "95% of women are sexually assaulted". It's just not true.

If you look at facts...take politics out of it...there is very very little to show that he raped her.

Hoping this is ok to discuss under our new rules and happy to have a civil convo on it.

A kid in my freshman dorm got thrown out of school because a girl claimed that he raped her. We all sort of raised an eyebrow because it just really didn't seem like his character, but whatever, you don't know what someone is like when they're drunk, horny, etc.

Turns out...this girl admitted a year later to one of our friends that she made it up. She was mad that he didn't want to date her and made up the story. ****ing awful. The kid's life at the time was ruined (he's actually done pretty well for himself these days but still).

I get VERY bothered when some women I'm friends with on FB, on blogs, etc say things like "well, I don't need evidence, I believe her" or "95% of women are sexually assaulted". It's just not true.

If you look at facts...take politics out of it...there is very very little to show that he raped her.

Hoping this is ok to discuss under our new rules and happy to have a civil convo on it.

There is absolutely nothing that gives any indication that he even knew her, let alone touched her.

What we are witnessing now is the full meltdown of the left. It reminds me how my 3 year old used to go nuts when it was time to go to bed and she didn't want to do so.

There is absolutely nothing that gives any indication that he even knew her, let alone touched her.

What we are witnessing now is the full meltdown of the left. It reminds me how my 3 year old used to go nuts when it was time to go to bed and she didn't want to do so.

I wonder how much of it is the left (I definitely think some to a lot) and how much is #metoo...most likely it's mostly both.

I think women who say things like "oh, well, I was sorta drunk and wanted to at the time but the next day I didn't want to bang him so I was assaulted" are doing serious damage to actual rape victims.

You believe that? You believe there's nothing that gives any indication of that he even knew her, let alone touched. There's nothing that gives that indication?

I wonder how much of it is the left (I definitely think some to a lot) and how much is #metoo...most likely it's mostly both.
It's probably more of the #metoo, but it seems like a sizable majority of the #metoo movement is on the left. I don't have any stats to back that up, but it appears that way. This is kind of a tough issue for me. As a father of two girls I would certainly believe them in a situation like this, but then you see things like the duke LAX case and see why you need more proof in these cases.

Reactions: dadika13
The idea of having one thread was never polled, so the people here haven't spoken on that.

Correct. C'mon @Terror Beard . This board is only big enough for one poaster that can disregard the facts of what the poll questions/results were to further their own agenda. Although once that poaster is banned again you can be first in line to fill the opening.

Have a nice day.

:)

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I think Kavanaugh was drunk, and he and Judge got her in the room exactly as she described. I think that he attempted to do what she said, and I think once he realized that she was clearly not going along, he panicked and tried to stop her from screaming. I don't think he was ever going to rape her, but he was open to see if she was game in some way... she wasn't.

I'm sure he regrets it, and I hope he never tried it again. She remained assaulted and scarred.

His decision to deny everything is understandable, but not truthful... to me.

I think women who say things like "oh, well, I was sorta drunk and wanted to at the time but the next day I didn't want to bang him so I was assaulted" are doing serious damage to actual rape victims.

I completely agree. It's certainly scary to think that you can be accused of something as heinous as that, be completely innocent, and yet be guilty in the court of public opinion without even a shred of evidence being introduced.

I certainly recognize that these terrible things do happen. I'm not sure of the stats, but I'd be willing to wager that the majority of sexual assault/rape claims are true. But unfortunately it's the false accusations, born out of regret, revenge, desire for money, etc. that prevent us from being able to just blindly accept an accusation. And it's really a shame that if you want to take the time to get the facts, you're bashed for "not standing with the survivors".

Listening the Sen Susan Collins' speech to the senate about how she's going to vote. She hasn't come right out and said it yet, but it sounds like she's going to vote in favor of Kavanaugh

Reactions: BillyL
I completely agree. It's certainly scary to think that you can be accused of something as heinous as that, be completely innocent, and yet be guilty in the court of public opinion without even a shred of evidence being introduced.

I certainly recognize that these terrible things do happen. I'm not sure of the stats, but I'd be willing to wager that the majority of sexual assault/rape claims are true. But unfortunately it's the false accusations, born out of regret, revenge, desire for money, etc. that prevent us from being able to just blindly accept an accusation. And it's really a shame that if you want to take the time to get the facts, your bashed for "not standing with the survivors".
And, that is why so many women never report it. They know that nothing will probably happen.

One of my best friend's mother admitted to us last week that she was raped almost 40 years ago, while we were discussing this case. It was pretty moving because her daughter, who is a few years younger than me, was more shocked (obviously). I was trying to take it in and offer support and damage control. Anyway... It happened in her home, she was a single mom and the two kids were asleep. My friend's dad was killed in an accident in 1976. She said the Oconee Sheriff, who was at the hospital afterward doing his report, was radioing to his office that he didn't believe her and that he thought she'd had a falling-out with her boyfriend. The hospital staff was appalled. The guy was never apprehended. She also got hsv2 from the rape.

My own mother was "assaulted" by my uncle. He assaulted my cousin, too. He was never even confronted. He attempted to assault them, he made serious advances toward them. I cannot think of a woman that I know personally that hasn't experienced some kind of assault, and at least 50% have been raped.

I think Kavanaugh was drunk, and he and Judge got her in the room exactly as she described. I think that he attempted to do what she said, and I think once he realized that she was clearly not going along, he panicked and tried to stop her from screaming. I don't think he was ever going to rape her, but he was open to see if she was game in some way... she wasn't.

I'm sure he regrets it, and I hope he never tried it again. She remained assaulted and scarred.

His decision to deny everything is understandable, but not truthful... to me.
The biggest problem I have had with her story is the fact that she can't remember a lot of the details. She remembers that it was Kavanaugh but beyond it gets sketchy. I can remember in great detail the worst (even the 5 worst) things that ever happened to me. I think most people do. I just have a hard time believing that so much of the memory of an event that scarred someone for life could be lacking.

The biggest problem I have had with her story is the fact that she can't remember a lot of the details. She remembers that it was Kavanaugh but beyond it gets sketchy. I can remember in great detail the worst (even the 5 worst) things that ever happened to me. I think most people do. I just have a hard time believing that so much of the memory of an event that scarred someone for life could be lacking.
Who are you and why have you only received two likes in your career?

I can understand why people aren't totally convinced by her testimony. I don't agree with them, but I know that some people equate how they recall things as how everyone remembers them.

I remember when I lost my virginity, but I don't remember exactly what day of the week/month it was. I remember when I graduated high school, but I don't remember exactly what day of the week it was, nor do I remember exactly which members of my family were there and which weren't. I don't remember how many people I saw at the parties that evening, after the ceremony, but I remember the girl I hooked-up with very well. She may have forgotten about me, for all I know. I doubt it. But, I still don't expect her to remember. I remember things differently than others who were with me remember them, sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT