ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Watch... 2022

Nope. Wouldn't do anyone any good and could potentally hurt our chances in this day and age. I'll confirm if the name indeed pops up in the portal. Will just say that if he does I would be all-in.
Not asking for name. Curious on “who we’ve seen before” comment. Former recruiting target? ACC big? Former Opponent?

Nope. Wouldn't do anyone any good and could potentally hurt our chances in this day and age. I'll confirm if the name indeed pops up in the portal. Will just say that if he does I would be all-in.

gary-7 value your posts for sure sir but your judgement in not revealing his name is in error sir.

Rumors are just that,..rumors,.....stating his name hurts no one and certainly NOT UNC's chances.

Respectfully said.

I start Ant because the freshman needs to understand that you need to defend and Ant is a guy that (my opinion) not only sets that standard for work on the court and defends hard but is in a way the emotional leader for this team. That is a key lesson for Trimble to learn but the PT would be near equal for the 2. Ant's offense got better this season but his jump shooting for example is a work in progress that has improved and I think will continue to improve. He just is not a volume shooter, his shot selection is pretty good.

Consider this, we have watched several games this season where the story line was bad Caleb taking bad shots and turning the ball over way to much and drove the team in to a hole that was hard to get out of. You are not likely to see such stretches from Ant, you see more strong defense and good decision making from Ant. When you combine bad shot selection, way to many TOs, half hearted defense work, the guy taking the most shots who rarely looks to pass, all things we see when bad Caleb shows up you have to ask from a net standpoint does the heroics we as well see from Caleb out weight the bad Caleb appearances?

So why am I picking on Caleb if I expect him to leave, I am making the point that Hubert does not need to allow Trimble the same latitude he allows Caleb, handle what he has to learn to play at this level EARLY so you do not have to go thru the drama we have seen this season. Caleb got a ton of leeway from Roy and Hubert was there so clamping down on him was made harder. Trimble will play for Hubert for his college experience so if Hubert allows Trimble to do the things Caleb has done for his 2yrs, it is on Hubert for allowing those bad habits to occur.

I just don't see it with Dunn, I want to see it with Dunn but I so far just don't. So the 2 spot to me comes down to Ant and Trimble and I will start Ant early in, may tap Trimble later season but I start out with Ant starting if Caleb is gone.
What do you see in Trimble more than Dunn….. I think Trimble starting college at 17 will be the biggest adjustment that takes a longer time.

I will give you that one, I was thinking in terms of a kid transferring to us and having only 1 season of work to base my judgement on, Cam of course had 2. But yeah, I give you that one!
With the portal, I suspect we will be seeing more and more impact transfers. I hope Dunn and Walton stay, but I expect that at least one of them is gone, if not both.

Reactions: Kadyn930
What do you see in Trimble more than Dunn….. I think Trimble starting college at 17 will be the biggest adjustment that takes a longer time.
Great question, I will start off by mentioning that Trimble has a NBA body, kid is a good bit more physical strength that many tend to realize and he matches that with surprising quickness. Everyone mentions his extreme athletism and they should because it is staggering. But I think in the back of everyone's mind is his brother JP Tokoto and being honest, I think I could say that JP was not really a game changer type player for us, that maybe he was more athlete than skilled basketball player, I think that would be fair to suggest. It would be only natural for many to view Trimble thru more of a JP lens.

But from what I see, Trimble is more basketball skilled than JP was, Trimble explodes down court with a under rated ball handle and the ability to be a 1 man fast break and finish over the top with more vertical explosion that say Caleb is able to right now and Trimble has the strong body to absorb more contact than any guard we have available right now. I have seen some flashes of Ray Felton like speed with the ball in traffic (I did not just say he would be Ray so don't there, just that I see some ball handle traits similar at times). Trimble's one area that needs more consistency is jump shooting, he has really improved that but will be a focus early at UNC.

Dunn in time (if he stays around, I suspect he may) is a slasher that is not even in the same conversation athletically as Trimble. Dunn is a 2 guard that may be able to play some 3 in a small ball look but he isn't a PG from what I see, I do not see him as a combo point guy, Trimble is absolutely a combo PG. Much more Caleb than Dunn and that is IMO the strongest challenge Hubert will have to deal with coaching Trimble, is to get him out of wanting to play hero ball, and look to draw defenders and make good passing decisions. Hubert is going to have to handle that early and I think the best way to do that will be to have Trimble coming off the bench even if Caleb leaves, I would start Ant or even maybe Dunn if Dunn makes a strong off season jump in his game.

This season, I would suggest the stage has been a bit to big for Dunn, the game is still a touch to fast for him mentally, he is to sped up mentally. I don't think there is a stage to big for Trimble mentally, he will have to adjust to college players for sure but his athletism and physical strength really helps that adjustment. None of this is intended to down play Dunn, I think he can be a fine player for us or another program if he does leave but Trimble will come with a very different developmental time line because he is already doing things that translate to the college game and I really have not seen that from Dunn yet.

With the portal, I suspect we will be seeing more and more impact transfers. I hope Dunn and Walton stay, but I expect that at least one of them is gone, if not both.
It is going to be a hard decision for Dunn, from all I hear both he and Styles want to be Tar Heels and to remain Tar Heels. But with Dunn it is extra hard because we are stacking in combo guards at the position he plays. If Ant comes back, which I full expect him to do, I do expect Love to leave, and Trimble coming in the upcoming freshman class, as well as Wilcher already on board for the following class, the 2 spot is covered with talent for the projected future. How much PT does that leave for Dunn? He could come back, dedicate and show a huge soph bounce, really depends on how much confidence he has in his ability and how hard he is willing to work.

Walton, telling you now, he is gone, there is a 3rd party in his ear that would prefer he played elsewhere (by 3rd party I mean not to include his parents but the parents are a bit swayed to that, what parent does not want their kids closer to home). He has always been a bit of a loner that has not fit the personalities of his team mates. He is a kid that should be soaking up everything Hubert looks to teach him and we see in his lack of progression from last season to now that he prefers to be taught by someone not on this coaching staff or with Tar Heel ties. Not a bad kid, in fact a really good kid but I would suggest his trust in a 3rd party could be better placed in Hubert and this UNC coaching staff, I think it will have to be for him to move forward after this season as a Tar Heel player. This is all opinion (call it an educated opinion), nothing official, so take it as such.

It is going to be a hard decision for Dunn, from all I hear both he and Styles want to be Tar Heels and to remain Tar Heels. But with Dunn it is extra hard because we are stacking in combo guards at the position he plays. If Ant comes back, which I full expect him to do, I do expect Love to leave, and Trimble coming in the upcoming freshman class, as well as Wilcher already on board for the following class, the 2 spot is covered with talent for the projected future. How much PT does that leave for Dunn? He could come back, dedicate and show a huge soph bounce, really depends on how much confidence he has in his ability and how hard he is willing to work.

Walton, telling you now, he is gone, there is a 3rd party in his ear that would prefer he played elsewhere (by 3rd party I mean not to include his parents but the parents are a bit swayed to that, what parent does not want their kids closer to home). He has always been a bit of a loner that has not fit the personalities of his team mates. He is a kid that should be soaking up everything Hubert looks to teach him and we see in his lack of progression from last season to now that he prefers to be taught by someone not on this coaching staff or with Tar Heel ties. Not a bad kid, in fact a really good kid but I would suggest his trust in a 3rd party could be better placed in Hubert and this UNC coaching staff, I think it will have to be for him to move forward after this season as a Tar Heel player. This is all opinion (call it an educated opinion), nothing official, so take it as such.
Completely agree about Walton. I have no sources, but the tea leaves are giving a strong odor.
Sleep lost? None by me from a roster standpoint. Always hate to see kids leave the program though.😐

Reactions: DSouthr
It depends on the kid and really, we have not done great with incoming transfers, Manek was/is great, he has far exceeded expectations. Other than Bob McAdoo and Manek, who else have we had transfer in to UNC that even met the incoming expectations, much less exceed them?
Cam Johnson says hello.

Kerwin Walton. Does he stay or go?

His last double-digit minutes game was in February vs Pitt. He played 18 minutes, and tallied 11 points and 2 steals, with a 156 ORtg. Not too shabby.

In the 7 games since, he has played only 24 minutes total, scoring only 3 points on 1-4 shooting. He didn't even play in 2 games (vs Syracuse and Duke - suggesting he isn't trusted in big or tight games).

That seems like a pretty clear signal that Hubert has no plans for him next season. And he's not like some other portal potentials who are looking at positions opening up. We should still be loaded at his spots next year.

Verdict: Unless he just really likes it here, he moves on.

Personally, I'll be sad to see him go. But if there's no fit for him here, that decision probably makes sense.

Last edited:
Dontrez Styles. Does he stay or go?

His numbers aren't much better than Walton's. Last double-digit minutes against Pitt. Total of 25 minutes since then - tallying 4 points and 7 rebound in that stretch - and no PT in the close OT game against Syracuse.

The difference is that Styles is a frosh, and the spots where he'll be used next season may be opening up. Manek will be gone and maybe Leaky, too.

But Styles will also have competition for those spots from McKoy and Nickel - plus whoever Hubert snaps up from the portal.

Verdict: He stays unless maybe Hubert gets a clear starter or 2 from the portal. And he might even stay then, since he probably knows he could use another year coming off the bench. But he'll want to be sure of more minutes than he got this year.

Here’s the thing with Kerwin.. I don’t want him to leave but he had opportunities early in the season. His strength is shooting and he didn’t shoot it well. There were times he passed up open looks. His defense and inability to handle the ball made it tough to put him him on floor if he wasn’t making shots.. The best think he can do is spend all summer playing pickup and spend less time with his trainer.. to my eye he plays like a robot and isn’t very smooth or instinctual

Reactions: DSouthr and TheGLOV
D'Marco Dunn. Does he stay or go?

Dunn played double-digit minutes only once this season - way back in the beginning of January, against lowly BC. Moreover, he only sniffed the court in 8 of the last 15 games.

On the surface, that seems like Hubert has even less confidence in D'Marco than in Kerwin or Dontrez. But is that really true?

My eye test thinks D'Marco might be really good for us. Clearly not ready this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he earns good minutes next year - depending on how log-jammed we are at his positions.

And I think that's the real question for D'Marco. How log-jammed will we be? Keep in mind that D'Marco was getting very little PT even with Harris gone.

Verdict: If Kerwin leaves, D'Marco probably stays. Otherwise, it's 50:50 and depends on how ready he feels he is for serious PT. If he feels held back, he might still leave.

Kerwin Walton. Does he stay or go?

His last double-digit minutes game was in February vs Pitt. He played 18 minutes, and tallied 11 points and 2 steals, with a 156 ORtg. Not too shabby.

In the 7 games since, he has played only 24 minutes total, scoring only 3 points on 1-4 shooting. He didn't even play in 2 games (vs Syracuse and Duke - suggesting he isn't trusted in big or tight games).

That seems like a pretty clear signal that Hubert has no plans for him next season. And he's not like some other portal potentials who are looking at positions opening up. We should still be loaded at his spots next year.

Verdict: Unless he just really likes it here, he moves on.

Personally, I'll be sad to see him go. But if there's no fit for him here, that decision probably makes sense.
My wife pretty much summed it up last night when she said " Does number 24 know who he is guarding?" She is a casual watcher of College basketball, but she noticed that immediately.
I told he it doesn't matter if he knows WHO he is guarding, the fact remains HE KNOWS HE CAN'T GUARD WHOMEVER THAT MIGHT BE.
He Gone.

His numbers aren't much better than Walton's. Last double-digit minutes against Pitt. Total of 25 minutes since then - tallying 4 points and 7 rebound in that stretch - and no PT in the close OT game against Syracuse.

The difference is that Styles is a frosh, and the spots where he'll be used next season may be opening up. Manek will be gone and maybe Leaky, too.

But Styles will also have competition for those spots from McKoy and Nickel - plus whoever Hubert snaps up from the portal.

Verdict: He stays unless maybe Hubert gets a clear starter or 2 from the portal. And he might even stay then, since he probably knows he could use another year coming off the bench. But he'll want to be sure of more minutes than he got this year.
Too early for me on Styles. I love his athleticism and potential, but I don't think he is overly skilled yet. He is pretty much Nasir Little lite at this stage. If he really puts in work, he can pissibly be David Noel in 2-3 years with a ceiling of George Lynch ( Very high praise, being Lynch is a favorite of mine) If he does not put in that work, then I think he will go play where that fact is not as important.

D'Marco Dunn. Does he stay or go?

Dunn played double-digit minutes only once this season - way back in the beginning of January, against lowly BC. Moreover, he only sniffed the court in 8 of the last 15 games.

On the surface, that seems like Hubert has even less confidence in D'Marco than in Kerwin or Dontrez. But is that really true?

My eye test thinks D'Marco might be really good for us. Clearly not ready this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he earns good minutes next year - depending on how log-jammed we are at his positions.

And I think that's the real question for D'Marco. How log-jammed will we be? Keep in mind that D'Marco was getting very little PT even with Harris gone.

Verdict: If Kerwin leaves, D'Marco probably stays. Otherwise, it's 50:50 and depends on how ready he feels he is for serious PT. If he feels held back, he might still leave.
I think Dunn returns. I also don't think he has done anything this year to make Hubert want to play him.
Guess what? Donald, Shammond and Kenny Williams ALL had disappointing freshman seasons before each of them either started or were 6th man in the 2nd year on campuss.
Dunn is a two guard similar to Kenny, he is not a combo. Can he become Kenny? I would love to believe so.

Styles is a under sized 4 that is not a stretch jump shooter. He was known coming to UNC for being a leader and a warrior, now of course we didn't see much of that this season but that does not mean it isn't there and will not show up next season. We bring in Washington, who I see as our next big time 4, Shaver who is a back up 5, and Nichel who to me is more a small forward than power forward but I would have said similar if we were talking Manek. You have Leaky and Puff still at the small forward spot. I am not expecting Garcia back and if we lose Bacot, then we either move Washington to the 5 (I do believe he can play the 5 spot) leaving guys like Styles/McKoy/Nichel to battle it out for the 4 spot minutes. I could see Hubert going to the portal for a starter level big man and have a lot to offer one.

If he is who I think he is, that guy was fun to watch in-person. Has a few years to give as well 👀

Would there still be interest in Efton Reid if he left LSU?
I haven't seen him play in college but I remember thinking he could be a good get for us out of HS.

If he becomes available, is there any good reason we would not want him?

Good shot blocker, decent rebounder and inside shooter. Bulk him up and teach him to shoot FTs and he could be a solid presence.

Efton Reid stats per game
3.4 fouls
0.8 blocks
4.3 rebs
6.3 pts
44% FT
20 mins

If Bacot turns pro, we need a starting Center out of the portal. This guy is not it.

We'll probably need a stretch 4 out of the portal too. This guy isn't that either.

We already have 2 backup centers in Washington and Shaver. The hope is Washington stays healthy, adds muscle, and eventually becomes a starter. In the meantime we don't need to waste another scholarship on a 3rd backup center.

Walker Kessler???? LOL!
Well TP, tell ya what happened to Kessler!

Bruce Pearl kept telling his parents that he would love to have their son play for him, Pearly kept saying "come sail away with me". Well, Kessler hopped on that boat with Pearl, wouldn't ya know it, it wasn't a boat, it was a star ship and it sailed off into the sky. But ya know what, it was all just a grand illusion, he would have sailed just as far had he remained a Tar Heel !!!

Def remember that with Jonas Aidoo to UTK but was Effon’s situation similar?
RW big man coaching would have done wonders for this kid but his mom thinks she's better at developing talent than Roy.
She was also convinced her kid was a OAD and UNC would prevent that.
I hate to criticize someone who obviously loves her son but this lady is not nearly as bright as she thinks she is.
Calls herself "Mama Bear" on social media.:rolleyes:
We probably dodged another bullet here.

The 5 star committed to LSU is Yohan Traore from basketball factory, Dream City Christian in Glendale,Arizona. He did not sign a LOI. They also have a signed 5 star PF named Julian Phillips

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT