ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (St. Augustine ex)....

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that was fun.
OK, as it was your typical exhibition vs an overmatched opponent, some observations as to what this team is gonna bring:

- Any remaining questions as to approcach should be moot. We are going to run. More than half our points came in transition, including 50 (!) from the Secondary Break.

- Defensive approach --- base 21.5 (high gap with top switches) w/ some 23 and 24 flashed. General reinforcing of Dean's sideline/baseline force principles. "No middle" has been a mantra in practice. Anxiously awaiting some Scrambles.

- We only saw it a couple of times due to their offense, but watch for this moving forward: I really like the way we're attacking high ball screens this season. I call it "pushing" (some call it "icing") the screen, but basically it means forcing the dribbler hard sideline, making the screener have to chase him laterally, negating the impact. I've been wanting to see this for a while.

- Yeah, we shot the lights out in the first half, but can't count on that every night -- the long-term key is TRANSITION, TRANSITION, TRANSITION and sharing the rock. We scraped the bottom of the league last season in shooting pct and Assists --- those two things are mutally dependent. That ain't happenin this season.

- Dayyum, we are legit DEEP. Seems everyone who goes in plays with confidence and effort. That depth will allow us to run some good teams outta the gym on a good night. Buh-bye and good riddance to the iron 5 nonsense.

- Ingram is the transfer that has intrigued me most. I love having a wide-body hybrid with long arms. He's gonna be a problem.

- Boy, High just screams for PT -- so active, and he and Oko together makes for some major rim protection, huh? And any more questions about Washngton's offensive chops? Hope not. And Withers hasn't even played yet. Guys, we are DEEP on the front line.

- I like the way guys are blending seamlessly flipping between postions depending on lineup. Ryan is so much better as a 2/3 motion man than he was being on-ball so much at ND, and Woj's game ain't exactly pretty but he's a tough 2/3 glue guy.

- I also say good riddance to that awful 5-out nonsense. Love the recommitment to early entries, and the way our motion is creating space for Mando, et al, to post.

- Lebo... you can only hope to contain him! ;)... but seriously, he can give us meaningful minutes if needed. Nice luxury.

- Say what you want about "size", but the EC-RJ backcourt is stoopid dynamic.

- Finally, speaking of EC, folks, he is THE essential ingredient if we're gonna get to the promised land. The difference with and without him is already palpable. With Cadeau at Point we scored 48 transition points (!). With RJ at Point we scored 9. And BTW, 30 of those 48 came with RJ with him at the 2 (speaking of dynamic backcourts).

As I posted last week, EC's only achilles heel is foul trouble, and young fella needs to correct that ASAP. Again, it comes from footwork and getting over his HS tendency to ball-hawk (gotta pick yer spots). The good news is he has the BBall IQ to play with 4 fouls, but still, good teams are gonna bait him. I'll guarantee you it won't take long before opposing coaches get aload of what he means to this team and getting him off the floor will be a priority.

Anyway, fun preview of what should (thankfully) be a fun season... :cool:

Last edited:
...and that was fun.
OK, as it was your typical exhibition vs an overmatched opponent, some observations as to what this team is gonna bring:

- Any remaining questions as to approcah should be moot. We are going to run. More than half our points came in transition, including 50 (!) from the Secondary Break.

- Defensive approach --- base 21.5 (high gap with top switches) w/ some 23 and 24 flashed. General reinforcing of Dean's sideline/baseline force principles. "No middle" has been a mantra in practice. Anxiously awaiting some Scrambles.

- We only saw it a couple of times due to their offense, but watch for this moving forward: I really like the way we're attacking high ball screens this season. I call it "pushing" (some call it "icing") the screen, but basically it means forcing the dribbler hard sideline, making the screener have to chase him laterally, negating the impact. I've been wanting to see this for a while.

- Yeah, we shot the lights out in the first half, but can't count on that every night -- the long-term key is TRANSITION, TRANSITION< TRANSITION and sharing the rock. We scraped the bottom of the league last season in shooting pct and Assists --- those two things are mutally dependent. That ain't happenin this season,

- Dayyum, we are legit DEEP. Seems everyone who goes in plays with confidence and effort. That depth will allow us to run some good teams outta the gym on a good night. Buh-bye and good riddance to the iron 5 nonsense.

- Ingram is the transfer that has intrigued me most. I love having a wide-body hybrid with long arms. He's gonna be a problem.

- Boy, High just screams for PT -- so active, and he and Oko together makes for some major rim protection, huh? And any more questions about Washngton's offensive chops? Hope not. And Withers hasn't even played yet. Guys, we are DEEP on the front line.

- I like the way guys are blending seamlessly flipping between postions depending on lineup. Ryan is so much better as a 2/3 motion man than he was being on-ball so much at ND, and Woj's game ain't exactly pretty but he's a tough 2/3 glue guy.

- I also say good riddance to that awful 5-out nonsense. Love the recommitment to early entries, and the way our motion is creating space for Mando, et al, to post.

- Lebo... you can only hope to contain him! ;)... but seriously, he can give us meaningful minutes if needed. Nice luxury.

- Finally, speaking of EC, folks, he is THE essential ingredient if we're gonna get to the promised land. The difference with and without him is already palpable. With Cadeau at Point we scored 48 transition points (!). With RJ at Point we scored 9. And BTW, 30 of those 48 came with RJ with him at the 2 (speaking of dynamic backcourts).

As I posted last week, EC's only achilles heel is foul trouble, and young fella needs to correct that ASAP. Again, it comes from footwork and getting over his HS tendency to ball-hawk (gotta pick yer spots). The good news is he has the BBall IQ to play with 4 fouls, but still, good teams are gonna bait him. I'll guarantee you it won't take long before opposing coaches get aload of what he means to this team and getting him off the floor will be a priority.

These write ups are always a treat. Thanks. Hope to see plenty more like this against more formidable opponents.

Last edited:
I'd be in huge favor if we iced ball screens, especially on the wing. But I'm generally against the hard hedge and recover ball screen defense. You might draw a couple offensive fouls if your big guy flops on the hedge, but I typically disagreed with how we've defended ball screens for the last 25 years. College PG's typically aren't good enough to snake the ball screen to counter it. And if they do, only the really good ones can score off the snake dribble. Also, hedging ball screens can put your big guy in a lot of trouble. All the ball handler needs to do is drive into the hedgers open hip and they'll probably get called for a foul. A lot of cheap fouls are picked up due hedging.

Reactions: gary-7 and 2DDIMOND
High seems poised to outplay his ranking. His preseason hype looks to be legit and he’s gonna play real minutes this year. Hubert loves his grit and rightfully so. Those plays change momentum in games and bring so much value to a team. I’m excited to see how he develops over the year.

Looked good…I really like the freshman both EC and JH…..Looked like Carolina Basketball…Something I haven’t seen since 2019….Passing the ball for the best shot and playing defense and crashing the boards…

Real season starts soon but I feel better about this team….I will say EC should start at PG…

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
In addition to a bunch written above that I agree with…

— Ryan’s foot speed on defense and guiding positioning (not just staying in front, but funneling as he stayed in front) was a pleasant and exciting thing to see!!
— ZHigh… Whoa! He was first off the bench ahead of Washington and others, which shows what we saw has been seen in practice. Active!!! Defense and offensive pressure from the second string is going to put ALOT of pressure on opponents.
— I was trying to not get my hopes up too high with EC… trying to not put to much pressure on him in my own mind. Fools effort on my part. He is awesome and has stupid good vision. It feels like Felton’s skill set/athletic ability with Marshall’s passing.
— Fast. Is. Fun.

...and that was fun.

- Any remaining questions as to approcach should be moot. We are going to run. More than half our points came in transition, including 50 (!) from the Secondary Break.

- Yeah, we shot the lights out in the first half, but can't count on that every night -- the long-term key is TRANSITION, TRANSITION< TRANSITION and sharing the rock. We scraped the bottom of the league last season in shooting pct and Assists --- those two things are mutally dependent. That ain't happenin this season,

Outstanding write-up Gary .. thank you. Didn't see a lot about Bacot in the mix. Has he developed a go to or reliable inside shot? Has he developed any type of mid-range, baseline or outside shot? Did you notice any elevation or solid aggressiveness to the rack?
GREAT to hear transition and p/t depth have returned to UNC Bball and that HAS TO CONTINUE to keep good players in the program.
And as much as I've ragged on Coach Davis in the past I truly hope he is finally shedding a lot of inherited skin and will have the opportunity to develop HIS players !! GO HEELS

Great to have this back Gary, thanks for your insights as always.

Harrison Ingram's interviews have been such a joy to listen to and it brings me back to a couple years ago when I remember being very bummed out when he didn't commit after how hard Roy worked going after him. But that's the positive of the new enviornment that you are able to get a now seasoned Harrison who has faces highs and lows in college, is coming in with experience and a drive to succeed at a fresh new start. I really think his impact, due to the great addition of Elliot, is not being talked about as much across the ACC as it should as what he can do on both ends and with the ball in his hands gives us a ton of versatility to play different lineups and give different looks defensively. Also, take a listen to what he mentioned about the types of offensive looks he is getting now and how happy he sounds, he knows that it's a great fit to feed into his strengths. Armando's going to be a very happy man paired with him.

Looked good…I really like the freshman both EC and JH…..Looked like Carolina Basketball…Something I haven’t seen since 2019….Passing the ball for the best shot and playing defense and crashing the boards…

Real season starts soon but I feel better about this team….I will say EC should start at PG…
Funny how on the football board you said yesterday that UNC Basketball was garbage, your direct quote was "This program is garbage….Drake Maye is garbage…Fact is UNC is garbage all the way around…I am done with this BS….oh yea basketball is garbage 2….What a joke….". You said this at 11:35 last night... Were you drunk or just STUPID?

Last edited:
  • Love
I wanna see the bigs when faced with height. But everything looked pretty smooth.
As do I but I will say that I believe we are in better position to handle opposing big men now than we were last season and having watched both High and Konkwo in this game I feel much better about our front court than I did a week ago and I felt good about it then. Keep in mind, Withers was not available for this one, I really think he brings an added dimension of athletism to this front court group. I have heard a lot of really good buzz this off season about Jalen but being honest, his play in this exhibition didn't exactly live up to the buzz.

I still think our best line up is Cadeau, RJ, Ingram, Withers, and Bacot. I say that with absolutely nothing negative to say about Ryan, I think he is extremely important for us and has to get starter level minutes meaning 20+ a game. But I just love the size advantage we get with my line up, we must reclaim our rightful place as owning the rebounding game and I love the creativity of a Cadeau/RJ back court! To be able to have a real scorer like Ryan come off our bench, an amazing defender like Seth come off the bench, a guy like Pax (I consider him to be a rich man's version of Platek and that is a compliment rather than a diss from me) that seems to just be in the right place at the right time, front court talents like Jalen/High/Konkwo all coming off our bench means the drop off when we go to the bench will not be what it has been for a good while. And running tempo now like we have seen while not having that huge drop off on either end when we go to the bench means we burn the opponents legs hard and we should be able to exploit that for nice runs at the end of halves.

I LOVE to see the other team foul us and we go to the line with about 5mins left in the half and every player on the opposing team is hunched over grabbing their shorts & breathing hard! When I see that and they don't sub but we bring in 4 fresh legs it makes me smile like Mr Shun always tells me to do! LOL

But I do want to ask this board some questions:

1) Do you want us to run extremely fast tempo ALL season?
2) If we do run that really high tempo ALL season do you want Hubert to go DEEP in his bench ALL season?
3) Do you still want us to run the high tempo game through the post season?
4) Do you want Hubert to continue to go deep in to his bench in the post season?

For me these are really easy questions that have very easy to understand answers but I really want to see what others think.

Reactions: Archer2
Funny how on the football board you said yesterday that UNC Basketball was garbage, your direct quote was "This program is garbage….Drake Maye is garbage…Fact is UNC is garbage all the way around…I am done with this BS….oh yea basketball is garbage 2….What a joke….". You said this at 11:35 last night... Were you drunk or just STUPID?
I think you have to give people a pass for anything they post within a few hours after a shit loss. I think everyone here has vented and said something over the top when something goes that bad.

I agree that people need a pass when venting after an especially bad loss, but Trolls on the other hand....I'm not sure they are even people! Our last two football losses were unnecessary and should piss off our fans, but if your response is you're done with the team it means you never were a fan in the first place. And if you feel anything other than excitement after watching our new bball team and listening to all the experts, I don't know what it will take.

BTW: to D's questions.
1. Yes
2. Heck Yes
3. Yes Please
4. Freakin' Hell yeah!

But I know many peeps will moan whether Hubs contracts or leaves the bench expanded because that is a requirement for those who are so "objective"!

Reactions: tarwhiz
Just another flash in the pan troll.

Great to have this back Gary, thanks for your insights as always.

Harrison Ingram's interviews have been such a joy to listen to and it brings me back to a couple years ago when I remember being very bummed out when he didn't commit after how hard Roy worked going after him. But that's the positive of the new enviornment that you are able to get a now seasoned Harrison who has faces highs and lows in college, is coming in with experience and a drive to succeed at a fresh new start. I really think his impact, due to the great addition of Elliot, is not being talked about as much across the ACC as it should as what he can do on both ends and with the ball in his hands gives us a ton of versatility to play different lineups and give different looks defensively. Also, take a listen to what he mentioned about the types of offensive looks he is getting now and how happy he sounds, he knows that it's a great fit to feed into his strengths. Armando's going to be a very happy man paired with him.
Harrison was quicker than I expected and didn't take plays off (that I noticed). Since those were my only worries after watching some clips from Stanford, I'm feeling very good about him starting.

I have heard a lot of really good buzz this off season about Jalen but being honest, his play in this exhibition didn't exactly live up to the buzz.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to be underwhelmed by Jalen in this game. BUT I still came away feeling pretty good about him.

Whereas last year (other than the first half of the UVa game) he often looked either still wounded or rusty, I didn't see that in the scrimmage. I think he looks ready. Plus he moved with grace rather than in fits and starts,

What I didn't see enough of, though, was aggression or that much quickness. Since I saw some quickness last year, I'm not going to worry about that for now. I think he has that in his took kit.

So my main question is how high his motor can rev up. Because with fire in his belly, I think he can be really good.

Speaking of MOTOR, I think this team may have more guys with strong motors than last year. And, perhaps more important, we have starters with good or even great motors. Whereas last year we had guys like Puff who had a great motor, but couldn't shoot well enough or stay healthy long enough to break into the starting lineup.

We'll need to see more, of course, but we could have 4-5 high motor guys on the floor at all times.

Should never post in game thread but football has hurt my heart this year…

Everything that I have seen and read points to us having a very good, but not elite, team this year. I think this year's team is night and day better from last year's team in terms of basketball IQ and leadership. What none of us had seen or know yet is how we will react to being punched in the mouth. How much fight do we have. We did not handle adversity well last year. I think with guys like Cormack and EC, we might just be fine in that department.

I am so excited to see the return of Carolina basketball!! Go heels!!!

Everything that I have seen and read points to us having a very good, but not elite, team this year. I think this year's team is night and day better from last year's team in terms of basketball IQ and leadership. What none of us had seen or know yet is how we will react to being punched in the mouth. How much fight do we have. We did not handle adversity well last year. I think with guys like Cormack and EC, we might just be fine in that department.

Very good point. And I I agree with Cormack. And even Paxson can add leadership to what we already have. The team is definitely deeper this year.

Should never post in game thread but football has hurt my heart this year…

Why? This is who we are. This is a quintessential Carolina football season. If you’re banged up over it, that just means you’re new to your Carolina football fandom.

7-5, give or take.

Two biggest differences: A real (and elite) PG and returning to actual Carolina basketball.
Those factors alone make us night-and-day better.

I think grit/toughness are givens also! Consider: EC (only ? because he is a freshman), RJ, Bacot, Ryan, Withers, Ingram, Pax, Okonkwo, High (freshman), Seth, Washington. Who on this list do we really think couldn't handle adversity/game stress? I will tell you that trying to punch Bacot, Okonkwo, Ingram, or High wouldn't be advisable! Why can't this group become elite? They will be far more than the sum of their parts!

I think folks are sleeping on UNC this season and I think they are out of the remaining question that can not be answer until well in to the season. That question being a concern with how this team will accept coaching from this staff and the quality of that coaching. I think we have seen things in Hubert's first 2 seasons that deserve a degree of concern, for example it is fantastic that we are going back to amping the tempo and have our vaunted running game back, yet the question of why it disappeared remains. Why structure an approach that requires big time jump shooting when you do not have the jump shooters you need and not adjust to a approach that fit the talents you had? Why call so many set plays, watch them break down and we have to free lance yet not practice free lance? This is just to name 3 but there are more and that was discussed this off season. Not looking to rehash those now but offer these as examples of why there is remaining concern that can not be addressed for a while.

This is a really deep team now with the new comers and we need to effectively use that depth as a weapon. I don't think anyone could look at our front court and not realize it has been very seriously upgraded. We have watched Bacot go down with very serious ankle issues at the end of the last 2 seasons and frankly, we didn't have anyone ready or able to step in to that void, we not only do now but we have multiple guys that can. The back court, it now starts with having a solid PG rather than trying to cover the spot with converted 2s, Caleb is gone but I would offer the back court chemistry was "forced" to fit and never really did and that effected the whole team, it looks now to be round pegs in to round holes as opposed to what we have seen. Gone is Caleb and Demarco replaced by Elliot and Ryan, seems like a great trade for all concerned, at least at this point. RJ so far looks absolutely fantastic, much better than at any point prior and Bacot is still Bacot, 2 really nice talents to start with but the new comers do look much better than what we lost.

A very serious question form the last 2 seasons has been effort and intensity coming out for the opening tip, we watched far to often the other teams come out and play with more effort and intensity than we did from the opening tip. One advantage you have with a really deep line up is that your starters know, they can not come out half hearted because there are multiple big time talents on your bench ready and more than willing to step in and provide that effort and intensity. The intensity we played with vs a very out matched St Aug team was impressive, it is teams like that where some may feel we really don't need to be that intense, may feel they can slack a bit and we didn't do that, very important!

I think folks are sleeping on UNC this season and I think they are out of the remaining question that can not be answer until well in to the season. That question being a concern with how this team will accept coaching from this staff and the quality of that coaching. I think we have seen things in Hubert's first 2 seasons that deserve a degree of concern, for example it is fantastic that we are going back to amping the tempo and have our vaunted running game back, yet the question of why it disappeared remains. Why structure an approach that requires big time jump shooting when you do not have the jump shooters you need and not adjust to a approach that fit the talents you had? Why call so many set plays, watch them break down and we have to free lance yet not practice free lance? This is just to name 3 but there are more and that was discussed this off season. Not looking to rehash those now but offer these as examples of why there is remaining concern that can not be addressed for a while.

This is a really deep team now with the new comers and we need to effectively use that depth as a weapon. I don't think anyone could look at our front court and not realize it has been very seriously upgraded. We have watched Bacot go down with very serious ankle issues at the end of the last 2 seasons and frankly, we didn't have anyone ready or able to step in to that void, we not only do now but we have multiple guys that can. The back court, it now starts with having a solid PG rather than trying to cover the spot with converted 2s, Caleb is gone but I would offer the back court chemistry was "forced" to fit and never really did and that effected the whole team, it looks now to be round pegs in to round holes as opposed to what we have seen. Gone is Caleb and Demarco replaced by Elliot and Ryan, seems like a great trade for all concerned, at least at this point. RJ so far looks absolutely fantastic, much better than at any point prior and Bacot is still Bacot, 2 really nice talents to start with but the new comers do look much better than what we lost.

A very serious question form the last 2 seasons has been effort and intensity coming out for the opening tip, we watched far to often the other teams come out and play with more effort and intensity than we did from the opening tip. One advantage you have with a really deep line up is that your starters know, they can not come out half hearted because there are multiple big time talents on your bench ready and more than willing to step in and provide that effort and intensity. The intensity we played with vs a very out matched St Aug team was impressive, it is teams like that where some may feel we really don't need to be that intense, may feel they can slack a bit and we didn't do that, very important!
I’m not trying to take too much from the game but the fact that we scored that many points and how we scored them were impressive. You still have to put the ball through the net that many times and the fact that we haven’t exactly been an offensive juggernaut, even against lesser opponents, in recent years it was great to see scoring. And great to see said things done by simply running the floor and taking advantage and reading of the defense.

I’m not trying to take too much from the game but the fact that we scored that many points and how we scored them were impressive. You still have to put the ball through the net that many times and the fact that we haven’t exactly been an offensive juggernaut, even against lesser opponents, in recent years it was great to see scoring. And great to see said things done by simply running the floor and taking advantage and reading of the defense.
Great point! Just think back over the last 2 seasons, we really struggled to put teams away, even teams we were supposed to drill played us way closer than expected, way to much drama. Of course this St Augs team was over matched but rather than struggle with them we just stepped on the gas and ran away from them and we did it by simply taking not good shots but GREAT shots. I don't really recall, not just limited to Hubert as our head coach, when I have watched us play with more intensity from the opening tip until Hubert effectively called off the dogs, which looked to me to be with about 6min and change left. WE have tended to play with our food before killing it but vs St Augs, it was a early eaten meal, up by what, 40+ at the half, I like no drama! LOL

Great point! Just think back over the last 2 seasons, we really struggled to put teams away, even teams we were supposed to drill played us way closer than expected, way to much drama. Of course this St Augs team was over matched but rather than struggle with them we just stepped on the gas and ran away from them and we did it by simply taking not good shots but GREAT shots. I don't really recall, not just limited to Hubert as our head coach, when I have watched us play with more intensity from the opening tip until Hubert effectively called off the dogs, which looked to me to be with about 6min and change left. WE have tended to play with our food before killing it but vs St Augs, it was an early eaten meal, up by what, 40+ at the half, I like no drama! LOL
I know it’s not a great or fool prof way to grade a team, but I’ve always been super excited when our team can can bust 100 a few times. Even get in the high 80s and 90s. It’s those teams that take care of business. Some may disagree and that’s ok. I definitely don’t know the numbers of Roy’s teams but I do know when they blew teams out, they were going places. He was gonna out score teams, defense or no defense. Run baby run.

I agree that people need a pass when venting after an especially bad loss, but Trolls on the other hand....I'm not sure they are even people! Our last two football losses were unnecessary and should piss off our fans, but if your response is you're done with the team it means you never were a fan in the first place. And if you feel anything other than excitement after watching our new bball team and listening to all the experts, I don't know what it will take.

BTW: to D's questions.
1. Yes
2. Heck Yes
3. Yes Please
4. Freakin' Hell yeah!

But I know many peeps will moan whether Hubs contracts or leaves the bench expanded because that is a requirement for those who are so "objective"!
Yeah, TP, I have heard this for years how coaches have to cut down their rotations, not go as deep in their bench come the post season and that has NEVER made any sense to me. Why in the world would I cut my bench usage when using a deep bench is the key that got my team to the post season in good shape? Why fix what wasn't broken? If anything coaches should go even deeper to their bench in the post season due to fewer days between games and the tired legs that are there for those kids playing to many minutes.

• Love
hey Gary, thanks again for these write-ups and conversation starters.
Besides the fact that you provide great info and insight, I much prefer the content from board members….
…. Yes I have read all the back and forth regarding premium boards etc, but I’ve been on this board for about 20yrs and nothing is better than hearing from UNC Hoops fans, hearing feedback from those who get to go to games and those who understand the game better than me.

hey Gary, thanks again for these write-ups and conversation starters.
Besides the fact that you provide great info and insight, I much prefer the content from board members….
…. Yes I have read all the back and forth regarding premium boards etc, but I’ve been on this board for about 20yrs and nothing is better than hearing from UNC Hoops fans, hearing feedback from those who get to go to games and those who understand the game better than me.
You are quite welcome, brother.

I think grit/toughness are givens also! Consider: EC (only ? because he is a freshman), RJ, Bacot, Ryan, Withers, Ingram, Pax, Okonkwo, High (freshman), Seth, Washington. Who on this list do we really think couldn't handle adversity/game stress? I will tell you that trying to punch Bacot, Okonkwo, Ingram, or High wouldn't be advisable! Why can't this group become elite? They will be far more than the sum of their parts!
Again, I’ll admit If im wrong but I do believe this can be an elite team.

I have never understood the whole contracting the bench during crunch time either! Running interchangeable parts who play at lightspeed at peeps will take away the legs and dishearten the most talented teams! As a coach, I would play everyone who met my standards in practice; played for the team and not themselves; displayed a constant high motor; and meshed well with others. If you fall short (like many on our previous bench did) of any of these the pine awaits!

I feel we are back to the position that no one recruit can derail our progression. Ian is Family and will be until he decides to change that! I think he and his family understand the long term benefit of being part of the UNC Family! Could the NIL $ really be so much more elsewhere that it offsets what he can earn here and the connections of Family?

Reactions: DSouthr
I know it’s not a great or fool prof way to grade a team, but I’ve always been super excited when our team can can bust 100 a few times. Even get in the high 80s and 90s. It’s those teams that take care of business. Some may disagree and that’s ok. I definitely don’t know the numbers of Roy’s teams but I do know when they blew teams out, they were going places. He was gonna out score teams, defense or no defense. Run baby run.
FWIW, I was told we could have beaten #10 FAU by a good bit more in the scrimmage had we not let off the gas late.

I have never understood the whole contracting the bench during crunch time either! Running interchangeable parts who play at lightspeed at peeps will take away the legs and dishearten the most talented teams! As a coach, I would play everyone who met my standards in practice; played for the team and not themselves; displayed a constant high motor; and meshed well with others. If you fall short (like many on our previous bench did) of any of these the pine awaits!

I feel we are back to the position that no one recruit can derail our progression. Ian is Family and will be until he decides to change that! I think he and his family understand the long term benefit of being part of the UNC Family! Could the NIL $ really be so much more elsewhere that it offsets what he can earn here and the connections of Family?
Totally agree!!!

Jack has done nothing to deserve all this hand wringing questioning of will he decommit. He has stated over and over and over again that he is committed to UNC, that he plans on playing at UNC, that he plans on being loyal to his word. Of course scum like Pitino and Cal will try to lure him away, that is what they do. But ask yourself, would you want your son to play for a coach that did scummy things during the recruiting process, could you trust a coach like that? Pitino and Wilcher just lost to a no body team, is that working out like you thought it would Mr Wilcher? LOL

Is this a general, broad statement? You would just play anyone who meets your standards in practice?

I find end of games largely situational. If I'm trailing by like 9 points with 3:00 left, if the players that "played for the team and not themselves; displayed a constant high motor; and meshed well with others" turned out to be my weakest offensive players, I would probably have to put in a couple of dudes who can score the ball still.

If you have a 2 or 3 possession lead late, you're likely going to get pressed and fouled by your opponent so I'm guessing most coaches want a combination of good ball handlers and good free throw shooters. I don't care how hard they work in practice, I'm not going to have 5 John Henson caliber free throw shooters be on the floor late in games.

All of these coaching speak slogans are great and and probably more valid than I consider. But at some point, you need to win games and put the best 5 guys out there situationally that can close a game. Let's say Brandon Huffman or Joel James was the best big in practice. Sweet! I'm playing Luke Maye and Brice Johnson over them in crunch time still.

I personally find that part of the point of playing a deeper bench so my 5 best players have a better chance of being fresher at the end.

Is this a general, broad statement? You would just play anyone who meets your standards in practice?

I find end of games largely situational. If I'm trailing by like 9 points with 3:00 left, if the players that "played for the team and not themselves; displayed a constant high motor; and meshed well with others" turned out to be my weakest offensive players, I would probably have to put in a couple of dudes who can score the ball still.

If you have a 2 or 3 possession lead late, you're likely going to get pressed and fouled by your opponent so I'm guessing most coaches want a combination of good ball handlers and good free throw shooters. I don't care how hard they work in practice, I'm not going to have 5 John Henson caliber free throw shooters be on the floor late in games.

All of these coaching speak slogans are great and and probably more valid than I consider. But at some point, you need to win games and put the best 5 guys out there situationally that can close a game. Let's say Brandon Huffman or Joel James was the best big in practice. Sweet! I'm playing Luke Maye and Brice Johnson over them in crunch time still.

I personally find that part of the point of playing a deeper bench so my 5 best players have a better chance of being fresher at the end.
Great last statement. I think people forget that any coach wants to give guys playing time even if it’s to acclimate or make them better. You need court time in order to get better. But when it gets down to the nut cutting, your best players play. Period. A deep bench is still the bench. Jmo.
I also love them getting playing time because that’s how they get better and mesh. But when you have to win ie end of season, every coach shortens up that rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT