ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (State game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and State-hate is good hate ;).

- Let's hammer home the most important fact, i.e., that the game-plan was exactly as it should have been: Pound it inside to Bacot. No-brainer, and it diid the job. State's starting Big must've had 15 fouls --- not sure how many actully got called, but Mando did make the most of his FT trips, which continues to be a positive for this team.

- On that note, Manek had 5 dimes today, 4 of which came on our designed Hi-Lo action, that was executed and timed to perfection. Moreover, pretty much every time Brady touched the ball he had a mismatch, and he had the savvy to take advantage,

- In maybe the best news of the day, it appears Leaky is ok, and I'll tell ya, we need him vs Cuse to run the pivot role in our Zone Offense. One negative today was we were very slack running our Zone-O continuity, even after they showed us several consecutive possessions of their 1-2-2.

- In Leaky's absence the good news was Puff's coming-out party. Of course it was good to see him knocking down some 3s, but even better was demonstrating some solid fundamentals, especially some sweet entry passes.

- Speaking of fundamentals, another thing that Puff did well --- that was sorely missing from our Guards --- was blocking out on the boards. We need to get that cleaned up. And honestly, the only thing that made the final score even look competitive was a fit of low-IQ unforced TOs interspersed during the day, that seemed to invariably result in a 3 the other way.

- The second half devolved into a half-court rock-fight, following some very good transition game in the first. I will say that when we ran the floor correctly and pitched ahead there were some pretty breaks. We just need to be more consistent in getting to our spots and lanes.

- it was encouraging to see that we subbed more strategically earlier around the Under timeouts.

- On that note, State's default defense (when they're not running that Diamond press) is their equivalent of our 24 --- OB deny followed by a "warm" full-court pcikup. However, if they can successfully force the ball into the hands of a "non-ballhandler", they're taught to face-deny the Guards and then attack the dribbler once he crosses half-court. That happened late in the first half to Kerwin. Unfortunately, after doing a good job of calmly advancing the ball into the frontcourt ahead of the count, instead of giving up the ball, he tried an ill-advised reverse-spin-dribble right into a jump-double, and one of those aforementioned TOs ensued. That is likely one of the reasons we didn't see him again in the second half. I felt bad for the kid, as he's found himself on a far shorter leash this season, but we need KW to play within himself, and for that matter, ALL the subs to value the rock better than they've done thus far.

- And finally, it was encouraging for the future to see more than a token mix of 30 and 40 defenses. As I've posted previously, we've gotten better and better at the base 20 part of of our repertoire, so the next logical step in the reinstall of Caroilina basketball is getting the hang of being multiple.

Anyway, dominant (for the most part) win at a hosile venue vs a reviled opponent. Now, let's have a good Senior Night and then go spoil some fun (and ESPN's day) in HIS... whattaya say?... :cool:

Bacot was truly dominant…….got to ding him on the 5 turnovers however. Maybe the first time he lead us in turnovers. Can’t have that against the evil empire. We are already behind the eight ball as K is bribing the refs as we speak, deflating the balls, issuing brass knuckles to his starters, snipping the breaks on our bus and many other dirty tactics.

Bacot was truly dominant…….got to ding him on the 5 turnovers however. Maybe the first time he lead us in turnovers. Can’t have that against the evil empire. We are already behind the eight ball as K is bribing the refs as we speak, deflating the balls, issuing brass knuckles to his starters, snipping the breaks on our bus and many other dirty tactics.
Well, in fairness, some his TOs had, um, uncalled help, shall we say. But you're right, gotta be prepared for that sort of thing in H.I.S..

Got to ding Bacot on those 5 turnovers. Hmmmm! But the Love fest was still on when Caleb led the team with 7 last Monday night. No dinging those TO’s.

Reactions: HeelBilly50
Got to ding Bacot on those 5 turnovers. Hmmmm! But the Love fest was still on when Caleb led the team with 7 last Monday night. No dinging those TO’s.
Is there no Love in your heart? I have too much Love in my heart to hate turnovers….that’s why I just ding players for turnovers.

Good write up Gary. Hard to watch love turn the ball over with zero, I repeat zero repercussions. You already mentioned Walton and his one turnover, which he’s good for. Was baited in that situation and fell for it. Love to win, but I would like to make sense of Hubert’s subbing. Imo he’s too close minded on who can do what. I really think he’s put some players in boxes that they can’t play in or out of. I also think Caleb either has dirt on him or he’s a relative. Lol

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Good write up Gary. Hard to watch love turn the ball over with zero, I repeat zero repercussions. You already mentioned Walton and his one turnover, which he’s good for. Was baited in that situation and fell for it. Love to win, but I would like to make sense of Hubert’s subbing. Imo he’s too close minded on who can do what. I really think he’s put some players in boxes that they can’t play in or out of. I also think Caleb either has dirt on him or he’s a relative. Lol
Love played the entire game. Love had one bad turnover on a charging foul. The other 3 was trying to pass the ball through a tight window to Bacot and Manek. Bacot had 5 turnovers and one bad one trying way too many spin moves when he should have passed ball out.

Take Love out to teach him a lesson you lose your ball handler, best free throw shooter and closer. I want him to be subbed out because it seems like 3 games now he played the entire damn game. You ask the dude to play hard nose defense, score, hit pressure free throws …..and play all 40 minutes. That’s just too much.

Love played the entire game. Love had one bad turnover on a charging foul. The other 3 was trying to pass the ball through a tight window to Bacot and Manek. Bacot had 5 turnovers and one bad one trying way too many spin moves when he should have passed ball out.

Take Love out to teach him a lesson you lose your ball handler, best free throw shooter and closer. I want him to be subbed out because it seems like 3 games now he played the entire damn game. You ask the dude to play hard nose defense, score, hit pressure free throws …..and play all 40 minutes. That’s just too much.
Rj is well capable to handle the ball. Technically he’s not not best ft shooter and he’s not a closer. He’s a kid with a great deal of skill that is hopefully learning that he can’t do it on his own. He’s shown glimpses of being good. Glimpses.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
In all seriousness, exactly whom would you replace him with?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Rj is well capable to handle the ball. Technically he’s not not best ft shooter and he’s not a closer. He’s a kid with a great deal of skill that is hopefully learning that he can’t do it on his own. He’s shown glimpses of being good. Glimpses.
Did you see what happened when they took RJ out the game? They couldn’t handle the press. This is why those two play so many minutes. Teams know we don’t have ball handlers on that bench. Love and RJ handled the press pretty good.

Got to rest Love a few minutes each half. Just got to find the right time to do it and the right player. Dunn has just got to find his inner Puff and have his coming out party. Walton don’t have handles…..how about Lebo?

In all seriousness, exactly whom would you replace him with?
Not necessarily replace but someone to spell him for a few. I know you can smell what I’m stepping in Gary. It’s hard to watch. He literally has the run of the mill with no consequences. Heck, call a timeout and chew his out. Soft. Just plan soft

Did you see what happened when they took RJ out the game? They couldn’t handle the press. This is why those two play so many minutes. Teams know we don’t have ball handlers on that bench. Love and RJ handled the press pretty good.

Got to rest Love a few minutes each half. Just got to find the right time to do it and the right player. Dunn has just got to find his inner Puff and have his coming out party. Walton don’t have handles…..how about Lebo?
I agree. But those spells don’t have to come when the game is close. Heck we had those guys in up 20 or so.

Not necessarily replace but someone to spell him for a few. I know you can smell what I’m stepping in Gary. It’s hard to watch. He literally has the run of the mill with no consequences. Heck, call a timeout and chew his out. Soft. Just plan soft
Of course the self-inflicted stuff drives me crazy, but fact is he has the best play-making chops amongst our Guards and can create in the clutch. When RJ's shot ain't falling he becomes one-dimensional.

Look, if it was up to me I'd put a fake mustache on Joel Berry and play him at Point, but that's not an option.

If Davis does that today….to be fair to all players…he would have to chew out Bacot since he had 5 turnovers.

I think Love is improving in all areas and is doing what Coach Davis tells him to do.

Yes, he averages 3 turnovers a game so far…..that’s one too many per game….but to make plays you take chances. Davis wants him to drive and create. He does that pretty good especially in crunch time.

Reactions: alabamaheel
If Davis does that today….to be fair to all players…he would have to chew out Bacot since he had 5 turnovers.

I think Love is improving in all areas and is doing what Coach Davis tells him to do.

Yes, he averages 3 turnovers a game so far…..that’s one too many per game….but to make plays you take chances. Davis wants him to drive and create. He does that pretty good especially in crunch time.
I agree. And bacot got his head chewed on a little that I could see. Grant it I’m not there, so there’s a lot more going on than meets the public eye.

I told my son the other day I think Puff was close to going off. You could see him starting to play like it was slowing down for him instead of just 100mph out of control. Styles looks to be adjusting as well. It was nice to see him among the bigs out jump everyone for the rebound. Dunn looked a little rattled. I just wish HD would have played the bench a little more once Garcia went out because he needs to get creative if Manek or Bacot get in foul trouble. I do feel bad for Walton. I want him to succeed so bad and get his touch back. Has Davis ever given a ball up on a fast break when UNC has a 2-1 or 3-1 advantage? I swear he thinks that guy running with him is there to get the rebound if he misses. Luckily he made the 10’ pull up.

Good win though. Hopefully our bench keeps gaining confidence. I’ve mentioned before at the beginning of the year I couldn’t wait for Leaky to leave to now when he went down I said where there goes our chances for a run. Lol. We need him to be healthy!

Good summary Gary.

Don't have much to add other than what most saw. 9 of our 16 TO's were committed by either Bacot or Love the 2 most polarizing players that we have on this team. Don't know if most realize that scoring efficiency and point differentials in wins on the road and home wins have an effect on our NET rankings and this team's inability to maintain leads against most all opponents has adversely affected this team's NET which the Selection Committee looks at closely in determining seedings.

TO's and bad shot selection is usually the culprits, and it appears that once this team has a comfortable lead they lose too much focus and just flitter leads away. The bottom line is always to win, however, when you lose focus as easy as this team does, it's like playing Russian roulette with W's & L's. This will be and is a problem that will stay with this team for the duration I believe, due to the make-up and IQ of this team.

I hope to be wrong, but I don't think that I will be, as we have witnessed this the entire season. Again, it is what it is, and due to bench talent deficiencies, it will remain so.

Saw Burleson, Towe, Thompson, and 1 other former State player on hand and sitting together at the game. They were stoned faced, unhappy, and really pissed for the whole game...., that was nice to see. Hubert is loudly promoting Bacot for POY in the ACC, and he should, as Bacot has had a great season and would be deserving, although I expect the voters will not select him and will most likely pick the Williams kid (?) from WF.

Hope that Leaky's hyperextended knee is ok by Monday, as we will need his defense against the Syracuse shooters. Puff is playing and shooting well. Please note: While he is really starting to become a difference maker, he is still going to make some head scratching plays over the course of these last few games, it's the process that all players with limited minutes and all of a sudden getting almost starter minutes go through. As most of us believe, he is going to be a really good player for us, and I am grateful for his ongoing maturity.

With all this said, we won and are now 21-8 overall & 13-5 in conference. If we can win 1 of the last 2 or by some miracles win the last 2, we finish 3rd in the conference and no worse than 4th and get that coveted double by. I weakly predicted way back in the season that I thought 23-8 would be our season's record and while we are close to that I don't think we will finish there. Still, it's been a good 1st season for Hubert's resume and will legitimize his coaching status to the pundits and future recruits and that is very important for His and the Team's future prospects.

One last note: To date, we have yet to defeat a team that will most likely be in the NCAAT and that will be a talking point with the Selection Committee. While I do believe we are in, I do not see us getting any seeding below the dreaded 8-9 game. If I were to make a guess, we will be somewhere in the 9-12 seeding and depending on who we have to face, it can be either good or bad for any advancement in the tournament.

Last edited:
This was a really important road win for us, of course any time we can beat the wuffs is a good day. To beat the wuffs on their senior night, to treat their fans one again to the disappointment of losing on senior night, to put what may be the final nail in their coaches coffin, and in turn really help our NCAAT goals as well as give us real help in getting that ACCT first round bye and to do it their expense, just warms this Tar Heel's heart!

But I think even more important, going in to this game I think even the most positive thinking fan was asking is there anyone on our bench that can help us. I am a huge Puff fan but I had began to wonder if Puff could really help us now, he had been on the shelf so long and he was not getting much PT and the kid really needs Pt now that he has got his legs near game ready for minutes. But still in prior games all we saw of Puff was cameo appearances, Leaky was just playing so good at the position Puff plays.

Yesterday Leaky went down, we had a good lead at the time but if no one from your bench has really helped you then you can not afford to lose a starter and when we lost Leaky, I know I felt a sense of dread. But no one told Puff that we were in a bad spot because Puff came in and played like a starter, gave us the best point production we have had from our wing position in what 3yrs or so? And while it was great to see our 3 spot produce big scoring what for me was even more entertaining was the work he gave us defensively, his defense was Leaky like. His defensive work both on the ball as well as off the ball was for me at least as important as his scoring. FOLKS, WE NOW HAVE A DIFFERENCE MAKING PLAYER ABLE TO HELP US IN KEY SITUATIONS RIGHT NOW ON OUR BENCH AND HIS NAME IS PUFF JOHNSON!

While I pray Leaky is good to go for the cuse game, I suspect if he plays that he will be limited for a quick turn around game like this. Thank goodness we now have Puff to fill in as much as needed. If it is just a sprain for Leaky I would expect he should be good to go by the duke game allowing us to call on Puff to give us solid minutes at the 3 and 4 spots, as well as a guy that can switch off to 2's when needed. That means some rest in games for Leaky and Manek that is well needed. This may be a real key for us moving forward.

Bacot, great game, amazing how quietly he is putting up some amazing game numbers but he was feasting on a small front court for the wuffs, he did what he was supposed to do and dominated them. The real key for us moving forward is Caleb Love, he has to mature his decision making, do a better job of understanding when to take over and when to draw defenders which he surely does and kick it to a open guy. Caleb just has to understand in the moment that any time he drives he will be looking at 2 defenders minimum, means someone does not have a defender, some one is wide open if he will get them the ball but most of the time all he is looking for is either the score or a bail out foul. His being really good at the free throw line sure does help and he gets there a lot. But for this team to really "click", he needs to drive looking more to pass it after he draws the double, that will in itself slow down those doubles he draws. RJ has started to get that point, we need Caleb to get it now.

Great win, now the only team we should worry about is beating Syracuse on our senior night, don't let them stroll in to our building and bring us down on senior night! DO NOT over look a Syracuse game looking ahead to duke, the cuse has to many shooters for us to come out with half arse effort.

I agree with all you said except Love kicking the ball out on drives. He has been doing exactly that for a while now. In fact, this is the most unselfish Carolina team I’ve seen in a while. There was no hesitation from RJ or Love to pass the ball to open shooters. Another piece of proof of our ball movement is that we continue to have balance scoring. Caleb was told to pound the ball inside to Bacot…..he did that….got a few turnovers trying to squeeze it in tight windows too. And played great defense to boot. Don’t get some fans on here….by the way…..I remember you saying Puff wouldn’t contribute…he just won’t..was your words……I see you changed your mind……now complete the transformation and get some Love in your heart!

Saw Burleson, Towe, Thompson, and 1 other former State player on hand and sitting together at the game. They were stoned faced, unhappy, and really pissed for the whole game...., that was nice to see.
Funny you mentioned that, as a coach bud and I were talking about that 73-74 team during the game and wondering out loud how painful the current state of State (as it were) has to for those guys.
I do not see us getting any seeding below the dreaded 8-9 game. If I were to make a guess, we will be somewhere in the 9-12 seeding and depending on who we have to face, it can be either good or bad for any advancement in the tournament.

That is where guys like Lunardi piss me off with his agenda. This year ain't the first time he's tried to insinuate us out of the NCAAT when we were clearly in. Honestly, if the picks were made today I firmly believe we're more likely a 7 then the 10 he assigns us.

Now, with that said, I've expressed concern previously about ending up on that awful 8/9 line, and I think you're right, that would be the most likely destination if we finish the ACCT with 10 losses... UNLESS we beat the dookies Saturday, OR make an ACCT run before taking another loss. In other words, if we can make it to the ACCT Final, I think we'd be safely in at 7.

I agree with all you said except Love kicking the ball out on drives. He has been doing exactly that for a while now. In fact, this is the most unselfish Carolina team I’ve seen in a while. There was no hesitation from RJ or Love to pass the ball to open shooters. Another piece of proof of our ball movement is that we continue to have balance scoring. Caleb was told to pound the ball inside to Bacot…..he did that….got a few turnovers trying to squeeze it in tight windows too. And played great defense to boot. Don’t get some fans on here….by the way…..I remember you saying Puff wouldn’t contribute…he just won’t..was your words……I see you changed your mind……now complete the transformation and get some Love in your heart!
We call those trying to squeeze passes in to tight spots bad passes, in other words bad decision making. Tell it like it is man, 5 TOs from Caleb just is not ever going to be acceptable. Most of it is carelessness, trying to force something that just is not there. He is starting to get it, no he isn't, it is the same bad Caleb that shows up in pretty much every game, at times this team is able to withstand it and at times they have not been able to. How do you let a 40pt lead slip to 20, let Caleb handle the ball, How do you win a tight game where you need a guy to create something out of nothing, get the ball to Caleb. We find ourselves in need of a dramatic ending to often because of Caleb and we find our way to the win the same way, that is what makes things so crazy. If Caleb would just pull back the feeling that he has to take over until we really need him to take over this team can do something really special. When Caleb gets on one of those hot streaks, I and every one else wants Caleb to shoot it because when he does get hot he hits some amazing shots, he defends, he is involved in a positive way but when bad Caleb shows up it is ugly and at times embarrassing.

Now as for my words about Puff, guess you have not been around to see what my words have been for that kid, from the time we recruited him to now. Had you been you would understand how big I am on the kid. IN fact, before this season I was calling for Puff to start for us if he was healthy over Leaky, Puff was not healthy. But I saw a kid that has played very little in the last 2yrs due to a string of bad luck injuries, it was hard to really believe he was going to be able to be this effective this late in the season, 2yrs of rust does not fall off easy.

The Lunardi anti UNC takes really surprises me. There are over 100 bracket projections tracked by guys with proven multi year track records and Lunardi is in the top 2% of those in having UNC highest as of now among them. The wide consensus is 11 or 12, a bit still as last 4 out, very few 10, and a scant random very few outliers above 10.

If Lunardi is anti UNC in his current 10 seeding then 98% of everyone is much worse. I think we moved down to an 11 in his after yesterday's games anyway, so he may just be a tad higher then almost everyone else. Still not under the average current seed consensus though for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarwhiz
Now, with that said, I've expressed concern previously about ending up on that awful 8/9 line, and I think you're right, that would be the most likely destination if we finish the ACCT with 10 losses... UNLESS we beat the dookies Saturday, OR make an ACCT run before taking another loss. In other words, if we can make it to the ACCT Final, I think we'd be safely in at 7.
If we win in Cameron or make the ACCT finals, we will have earned a 7 spot IMO. The outlying problem or issue that this team has is the PERCEPTION by the media and other talking heads. The fact that we have yet to win a game against a bonafide NCAAT team has created a narrative that can only be overcome with a scenario like you mentioned.

Being a lower seed is not always a bad thing at all depending on matchups with other teams. As we have seen in the past, a good many of the lower seeded teams have made a lot of noise when their matchups have favored them. And while they are called upsets by most, they actually aren't upsets, it's when your team's make-up makes it really difficult to effectively matchup with theirs, as in Virginia's case several years ago losing to a 16 seed, that team was a bad matchup for Virginia and thus they could not overcome the disadvantages that the matchup issues produced.

Last edited:
We call those trying to squeeze passes in to tight spots bad passes, in other words bad decision making. Tell it like it is man, 5 TOs from Caleb just is not ever going to be acceptable. Most of it is carelessness, trying to force something that just is not there. He is starting to get it, no he isn't, it is the same bad Caleb that shows up in pretty much every game, at times this team is able to withstand it and at times they have not been able to. How do you let a 40pt lead slip to 20, let Caleb handle the ball, How do you win a tight game where you need a guy to create something out of nothing, get the ball to Caleb. We find ourselves in need of a dramatic ending to often because of Caleb and we find our way to the win the same way, that is what makes things so crazy. If Caleb would just pull back the feeling that he has to take over until we really need him to take over this team can do something really special. When Caleb gets on one of those hot streaks, I and every one else wants Caleb to shoot it because when he does get hot he hits some amazing shots, he defends, he is involved in a positive way but when bad Caleb shows up it is ugly and at times embarrassing.

Now as for my words about Puff, guess you have not been around to see what my words have been for that kid, from the time we recruited him to now. Had you been you would understand how big I am on the kid. IN fact, before this season I was calling for Puff to start for us if he was healthy over Leaky, Puff was not healthy. But I saw a kid that has played very little in the last 2yrs due to a string of bad luck injuries, it was hard to really believe he was going to be able to be this effective this late in the season, 2yrs of rust does not fall off easy.
The 5 turnovers came from Bacot yesterday. It’s funny when we get the big leads…..it’s in spite of Love….when we lose the big leads it’s because of Love. I get it….you don’t have Love in your heart.

I said in the game thread that I hoped Burleson was there. Glad to hear that three of them were there together. After seeing Burleson bashing Dean in the documentary, it's even better knowing he and his buddies were in misery at the one game they always reunite and continue to be disappointed.

If we win in Cameron or make the ACCT finals, we will have earned a 7 spot IMO. The outlying problem or issue that this team has is the PERCEPTION by the media and other talking heads. The fact that we have yet to win a game against a bonafide NCAAT team has created a narrative that can only be overcome with a scenario like you mentioned.

Being a lower seed is not always a bad thing at all depending on matchups with other teams. As we have seen in the past, a good many of the lower seeded teams have made a lot of noise when their matchups have favored them. And while they are called upsets by most, they actually aren't upsets, it's when your team's make-up makes it really difficult to effectively matchup with theirs, as in Virginia's case several years ago losing to a 16 seed, that team was a bad matchup for Virginia and thus they could not overcome the disadvantages that the matchup issues produced.
Said it before, I would absolutely take a 10/11 over 8/9.

I said in the game thread that I hoped Burleson was there. Glad to hear that three of them were there together. After seeing Burleson bashing Dean in the documentary, it's even better knowing he and his buddies were in misery at the one game they always reunite and continue to be disappointed.
The NCAA sanctions that NC State had placed on it were not just for the David Thompson recruitment, it also included Burleson's recruitment as well, and Coach Smith made the NCAA aware of violations in their recruitments and that, in part, is why Burleson had or still has a grudge against Coach Smith & Gut.

The NCAA sanctions that NC State had placed on it were not just for the David Thompson recruitment, it also included Burleson's recruitment as well, and Coach Smith made the NCAA aware of violations in their recruitments and that, in part, is why Burleson had or still has a grudge against Coach Smith & Gut.
Beat me to it.

Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80
Love Coby, but if it's equality you're after, shouldn't 60-70% of basketball players be white? Just sayin'. For the record, I don't buy into all this BS. This new racism movement is brought to you by a desperate democrat party (the party of Jim Crow, btw), which is hemorrhaging minority voters. Since division is all they know, this is how they're trying to hold on.

(Mods, delete if you wish. I realize this post doesn't really belong here, but I didn't start it, after all)
Thanks for fostering unity across America. When are you running for President? Can I suggest a platform. Slogan? Let Love in your heart!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT