ADVERTISEMENT

Random / Weird News Stories

I was trimming the grass along the side of my house yesterday when I had an encounter with a 4-foot black snake. It tried to get away, but of course the damn thing ran (?) directly into my back yard, which is entirely enclosed by a six-foot-high panel fence except for the open gate it went through.

I made the harrowing decision to abandon my trimmer in favor of a rake. Didn't want to kill the thing, but it needed to get the hell outta my back yard. I managed to keep the thing "cornered" near the open gate so it wouldn't be on the loose in my yard. I was basically playing goalie using the rake.

After several failed attempts to climb the fence (duh) the stupid thing finally decided to go back out the gate it came in through. Only took it about 3 minutes to figure that out. When it finally exited my back yard I let out a Braveheart-esque cry of freedom.

Spent the next two hours mowing my yard and repeatedly thinking the same two things. 1) Is that a snake? Is that a snake? Is that a snake? And 2) Somehow this is OOTB's fault. Dammit I hate snakes.

/cool story bro
Had a king snake wrap around my leg as a youngster.......never recovered.

I was trimming the grass along the side of my house yesterday when I had an encounter with a 4-foot black snake. It tried to get away, but of course the damn thing ran (?) directly into my back yard, which is entirely enclosed by a six-foot-high panel fence except for the open gate it went through.

I made the harrowing decision to abandon my trimmer in favor of a rake. Didn't want to kill the thing, but it needed to get the hell outta my back yard. I managed to keep the thing "cornered" near the open gate so it wouldn't be on the loose in my yard. I was basically playing goalie using the rake.

After several failed attempts to climb the fence (duh) the stupid thing finally decided to go back out the gate it came in through. Only took it about 3 minutes to figure that out. When it finally exited my back yard I let out a Braveheart-esque cry of freedom.

Spent the next two hours mowing my yard and repeatedly thinking the same two things. 1) Is that a snake? Is that a snake? Is that a snake? And 2) Somehow this is OOTB's fault. Dammit I hate snakes.

/cool story bro
Nice. Those are good snakes, they eat baby copperheads.

Last year when I cleaned out my shed I found one in the very back corner behind almost the last thing I moved (in other words I had been in the same 10x10 shed with it for a couple hours). He was a bit indignant about being kicked out and kept striking at the rake I was trying to move him with. Finally managed to kind of fling him out the door but he went airborne and landed in some branches overhanging the yard. So for the rest of that afternoon I had to keep in mind that he was up there. I'm still a little wary in that area of the yard even though it was a harmless black snake.

So the story itself isn't that weird here, it's apparently a domestic homicide: wife shoots husband. But the guy owned and ran the Serpentarium in Wilmington and was a semi-famous snake expert. We toured the place last fall with some friends of ours to get the kids out of the beach house on a rainy day. @Raising Heel would've loved it.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20170513/serpentarium-owner-killed-in-saturday-shooting

0528WASHOUT7.jpg

We met that couple and chatted with them several times. Seemed perfectly normal. My wife and kids were regulars there during our homeschooling yrs.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
We met that couple and chatted with them several times. Seemed perfectly normal. My wife and kids were regulars there during our homeschooling yrs.
I got a kick out of the info signs. Every other one was about how venomous this particular snake is, and that Dean had survived being bitten by one. I think he'd been bitten 13 or 14 times (and that's only the venomous ones).

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Reactions: tarheel0910
Dammit. :(

No joke, I take an energy shot every morning (200 mg caffeine), and often will run out and grab a Starbucks DoubleShot around lunchtime (400 mg caffeine), and some days will grab another energy shot around dinner. Average daily caffeine intake is anywhere between 600 - 1,000 mg.

If I don't post for several days at a time, I guess you'll know why.
latest

NC Police find $500M poppy field . .

From the article linked:

May 26 (UPI) -- Catawba County, N.C., sheriffs officials said a man immediately admitted he was growing one acre of opium poppy plants to a deputy who knocked on his door investigating another case.

Cody Xiong of Claremont, 40 miles north of Charlotte, was charged with manufacturing a Schedule II drug and opium trafficking, each a felony. The sheriffs office reported the man was growing $500 million in opium poppy plants on his property.

"One of our narcotics investigators came to the house looking for something else. When he knocked on the door, the guys said, 'I guess you're here about the opium,'" Sheriff Coy Reid said.

Authorities said the opium plants, used to make heroin, were growing in rows in a field behind Xiong's home.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/05/26/North-Carolina-police-find-500M-poppy-field/3751495797553/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT