ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are small forwards -better than Baker..according to rankings-if Baker goes elsewhere and a better small forward is signed..I wonder if there will be "head scratching and heartache"

Our only offer to a SF is Wendell Moore.

Dotson was one of the first people we offered in 2018. But after Coby hopped on the offer, we stopped recruiting him.

They had an exchange of subliminal tweets to each other after his commitment.

Never officially cut us, but he's not coming here. Likely headed to Kansas now. One of the better recruiting situations we've had in years.

http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Devon-Dotson-talks-UNC-recruitment-45995689
As I understood it he no longer has a committable offer. Perhaps I'm wrong and that's not the case but I thought that was where we were with him.

As I understood it he no longer has a committable offer. Perhaps I'm wrong and that's not the case but I thought that was where we were with him.

You're prob right. I just knew we never had contact with him after Coby's commitment.

DB1VxZVUQAA-uoW.jpg

Hope we don't waste too much time on Zion's recruitment. He just seems like another Knox/Ingram/etc... OAD wannabe to me. We never land those guys.

surely a 2 year stint from Cam is a factor, of course, he may stay only one year, nontheless, RW can more selective...there are always plenty of wings in any year

I heard Jeremiah Francis was visiting. He's the PG on Manley's old team. Any truth to this?

His mom and dad both graduated from OSU. Dad was a thousand point scorer there.

Yes, and a bigtime PG. Will be interesting if he's offered.

DCD8MV2XcAAb4uL.jpg

Reactions: CJBlue
He isn't very highly ranked. I know he can score and is berry strong but is he quick enough to run Roy's high octane offense? Also, he's considered a very heavy OSU lean(100% on 247). Guess it depends on how much he likes the new coach.

Seems more like we would be shooting for the stars with a 2019 PG. It's not a position we really need depth players for so far out, but maybe Roy particularly likes him. He's probably watched him a fair amount, having scouted Manley.

The Heels have a good chance of making it to 3 consecutive final fours in the OAD era with Roy not getting any of the top OAD players. There is only so much playing time in a game and I don't think we want to see transfers. Bradley's dad complained about how he was being used last year in his post championship comments. Bottomline, you have to have several role players who are not going to rock the boat. Players like B-Rob amd Seventh are not going to sit around and be happy if they are recruited over ever year. Food for thought.

The Heels have a good chance of making it to 3 consecutive final fours in the OAD era with Roy not getting any of the top OAD players. There is only so much playing time in a game and I don't think we want to see transfers. Bradley's dad complained about how he was being used last year in his post championship comments. Bottomline, you have to have several role players who are not going to rock the boat. Players like B-Rob amd Seventh are not going to sit around and be happy if they are recruited over ever year. Food for thought.

While I understand your thinking, and the players may agree - you are only "recruited over" if you are not good enough to beat out the new recruit in practice. Once at UNC you have the benefit of our strength and conditioning program, and regular feedback from UNC coaches wrt what they want to see from you and where you need to work hard to improve. If you have 1, 2, or 3 years at UNC and still can't out-perform a freshman with zero experience in Roy's system, what does that say about you?

Starters are not assigned by "stars" at UNC, Everyone has their chance to earn floor time during every practice throughout the pre-season, and season. So it's up to each individual how much playing time they see.

One reason I rarely give "who starts next year" lineups is because I know it will be decided in practice sessions.

Have heard it said he's underrated. I think he was a shoo in for OSU till Matta got the ax. I'm sure the new coach will make him a priority.

Holtmann was recruiting him at Butler and I'm sure he will make him a priority at OSU.

The Heels have a good chance of making it to 3 consecutive final fours in the OAD era with Roy not getting any of the top OAD players.

I think some of y'all are underestimating the impact of losing Meeks, Hicks and Jackson. Those 3 guys are not 3 guys you easily replace. We will look totally different and we'll be playing a style of basketball that Roy isn't proficient in. He likes two, experienced, quality bigs and he likes playing inside out. In addition, Jackson was the POY last year. And just because we got Joel back we're gonna make a Final Four run? I think that's crazy. Personally, I see the Sweet 16 as this team's ceiling and wouldn't be shocked at all if we didn't make it past the first weekend. And I'm ok with that because we're the defending National Champions.

While I understand your thinking, and the players may agree - you are only "recruited over" if you are not good enough to beat out the new recruit in practice. Once at UNC you have the benefit of our strength and conditioning program, and regular feedback from UNC coaches wrt what they want to see from you and where you need to work hard to improve. If you have 1, 2, or 3 years at UNC and still can't out-perform a freshman with zero experience in Roy's system, what does that say about you?

Starters are not assigned by "stars" at UNC, Everyone has their chance to earn floor time during every practice throughout the pre-season, and season. So it's up to each individual how much playing time they see.

One reason I rarely give "who starts next year" lineups is because I know it will be decided in practice sessions.

Well said and I agree. But that's what has made Roy so good. He has the ability to make lesser used guys feel like they're an integral part of the program. K doesn't do that. He clearly has his favorites and there's no doubt to anyone that follows the duke program that for K, there are really only 6 or 7 guys that deserve his attention in any given year. Cal doesn't do it either. If you're not capable of being OAD and getting picked in the first round so that Cal can puff out his chest about how many guys he had that went pro, then you're not really a part of his plans either. But Roy...well, Roy can make any of our guys feel needed. Hell, ask Stilman. That dude should know. He's been with Roy since Roy came to Chapel Hill.

Reactions: heels05champs
NR on ESPN, 135th on 24/7...

So...higher than that.

He's 135 on Composite. 24/7 has him at 84.

He's wouldn't be the premiere PG in his first years, but he could play some solid minutes for us if Jalek ain't around by 2019.

Then Seventh and Brob need to up their game to off-set the influx of new talent each year. Roy shouldn't have to amp down his recruiting because he has players worried about new talent taking away their playing time. They should embrace the challenge and welcome the strengthening of the team.

gunslinger said:

"I think some of y'all are underestimating the impact of losing Meeks, Hicks and Jackson. Those 3 guys are not 3 guys you easily replace. We will look totally different and we'll be playing a style of basketball that Roy isn't proficient in. He likes two, experienced, quality bigs and he likes playing inside out. In addition, Jackson was the POY last year. Andjust because we got Joel back we're gonnamake a Final Four run? I think that's crazy."

I have to agree. I'm as optimistic as anyone but we've lost too much talent and experience to expect another FF run.

gunslinger said:

"I think some of y'all are underestimating the impact of losing Meeks, Hicks and Jackson. Those 3 guys are not 3 guys you easily replace. We will look totally different and we'll be playing a style of basketball that Roy isn't proficient in. He likes two, experienced, quality bigs and he likes playing inside out. In addition, Jackson was the POY last year. Andjust because we got Joel back we're gonnamake a Final Four run? I think that's crazy."

I have to agree. I'm as optimistic as anyone but we've lost too much talent and experience to expect another FF run.

I honestly believe if you have 3 or 4 players like JB,CJ,JF maybe KW that can knock down outside shots with consistency you may well be able to cover some softness or inexperience at the 5 on the offensive end. If Theo can get his outside shot going then you present some serious problems for opposing defenses cause we know JB can hit from the outside as well as drive and be productive in the lane .. we know CJ can hit from the outside and he too has the physical tools to take it inside .. maybe not like JJ but the potential is there and according to some of the vids I've seen that Felton fella seems to be a threat to do many things both with or without the ball so the potential for this to be a high scoring team is there even without the solid post presence and experience. Yes .. rebounding may not be quite what it was last season but when you have more people shooting from outside rebounds often tend to happen a little further away from the basket which favors quickness over size and that may be to our benefit... jmho

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
gunslinger said:

Here we go again...:rolleyes:
Seriously, "expecting" a FF run is a crap-shoot pretty much any time. That being said, there's no reason to expect that we won't.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I rarely "expect" a FF appearance. I felt we had a pretty good chance last year. But in a year when we lose so much, I don't have great expectations.

Will we be capable of returning to the FF? Possibly. I would love nothing more. But I'm of the opinion that we will sorely miss Kennedy, Isaiah, Nate, and Tony.

A return to the FF would be more impressive than winning it this year and would solidify Roy as one of the best of all time.

I don't think we can fall into the trap of "living and dying by the three", something our neighbor down the road has done many times. I do think our three point shooting will be better than it has been in a while. But it isn't in Roy's nature to jack up 30 threes a game. And I'm glad it's not.

He will work to develop an inside game as quickly as possible because that's the style with which he's most comfortable. At least one of our bigs is going to surprise our fans.

This. There are no guaranteed starting spots at UNC. Earn your playing time. Do you think Nate Britt was "recruited over" by Joel Berry?

Here we go again...:rolleyes:
Seriously, "expecting" a FF run is a crap-shoot pretty much any time. That being said, there's no reason to expect that we won't.

Well sure there is. There are 351 D-1 teams and only.... 4 can make the Final 4. The odds are extremely long for just about every team. I would say mathematically impossible to "expect" more than about one or two teams to make it preseason, and some years there's not really any single team that was likely.

Consider that the Kenpom odds generator (http://kenpom.com/blog/2017-ncaa-tournament-forecast/) only gave us a 20% of making the Final 4 pre-tournament, and that was after seeing us dominate all year. The only team with higher odds was Gonzaga, and only 4 teams even had a 10% chance of making it.

I think given the crapshoot nature that you mention, it is very fair to expect we won't make it. Maybe unfair to expect that we won't be a top 10 team, although I think there's a decent shot of that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT