ADVERTISEMENT

Sciencey Stuff

8-Tj2Bm8lr04pD4je.png

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
I wonder how long this actually takes. Galaxies are huge. Are we talking days, years, decades?
It would be cool if they collided like magnets sticking together

Reactions: bluetoe
I wonder how long this actually takes. Galaxies are huge. Are we talking days, years, decades?
also, how is the light 'contained'? And if it's contained, how do they know how much there is? I'm thinking the quantity of light they're referring to is either guesstimated potential light, or light that has been generated over the course of time.

I'm not going to sell our sun short. Given enough time, I bet it can match the output of this little parking lot ding-up.

Of course, maybe reading the article would help answer those questions. I'm thinking about doing just that.

also, how is the light 'contained'? And if it's contained, how do they know how much there is? I'm thinking the quantity of light they're referring to is either guesstimated potential light, or light that has been generated over the course of time.
calculation-math.gif

lol. Oh shit, I'm unemployable because of my radical supremacist ideology? Well just wait, I took some X in this study and now I'm transformed into sort of a flower child. Now I love everybody. I can start tomorrow., BTW.

In all seriousness, I don't know if the article mentions it but I know there has been good success treating military people with PTSD. That's a wonderful thing. I wonder if it might work on @Heels Noir 's TDS. I wouldn't expect miracles.

Last edited:
lol. Oh shit, I'm unemployable because of my radical supremacist idology? Well just wait, I took some X in this study and now I'm transformed into sort of a flower child. Now I love everybody. I can start tomorrow., BTW.

In all seriousness, I don't know if the article mentions it but I know there has been good success treating military people with PTSD. That's a wonderful thing. I wonder if it might work on @Heels Noir 's TDS. I wouldn't expect miracles.
He has long TDS, it’s terminal.

mostly common sense, but cool visualizations and interesting nums on urban heat islands

ps, this isn't about climate change despite the wording in the url

I’ll be 70 on the 13th and I still want a drone. Is that crazy?
LOL. I've got you by a few.

You're never too old to check out nude sunbathing neighbors, at least according to @tarheel0910.

I want one too, and I have no idea why I haven't already gotten one. It would be the ultimate toy. You're never too old for toys.

Reactions: Archer2
Alexa says the Milky Way is 100-180K light years across. So if these galaxies are in that size range and colliding at the speed of light, the math for the minimum duration is easy.

Alexa says the Milky Way is 100-180K light years across. So if these galaxies are in that size range and colliding at the speed of light, the math for the minimum duration is easy.
I read where galaxies are so spacious that they won’t actually collide but that all matter in both will pass through the other without touching or even affecting gravitationally.

I read where galaxies are so spacious that they won’t actually collide but that all matter in both will pass through the other without touching or even affecting gravitationally.

I think they are expected to merge with the two black holes eventually coming together to form a singular center point. But individual solar systems are unlikely to be affected much aside from the ones that are too close and get torn apart.

Either way it’s supposed to happen like a billion years past Earth’s expiration date.

Lots of space between stars for sure. But so many stars that the odds are still pretty good for some direct hits. Especially if the denser galactic cores are on a collision course.

I saw something years ago that I guess was a computer recreation of such an event showing how the shapes of the 2 galaxies were greatly distorted. Like a couple of smoke rings intersecting and disrupting each other.

As Arthur C Clarke suggested in one of his troubling short stories, the Star of Bethlehem could have been Earth's view of a nova extinguishing an advanced civilization.

there are bound to be some extremely rare collisions. And with our luck, one will be with us, and just about the time that our football team is finally going to vie for the national championship...4.5 billion years sounds about right.

If not, there will still definitely be a strong gravitational mixup, with stars being dislodged from their usual position within their galaxies. But the space between stars is so ridiculously huge, that even if our solar system gets slung about, it will stay intact. We won't know a thing except that the sky will have a different arrangement of stars. So just sit back and relax. The show begins in 5 billion years.

LOL. I've got you by a few.

You're never too old to check out nude sunbathing neighbors, at least according to @tarheel0910.

I want one too, and I have no idea why I haven't already gotten one. It would be the ultimate toy. You're never too old for toys.
I bought a DJI Spark a few years ago and LOVE messing with that thing. highly recommend it! and go ahead and buy 2 or 3 extra batteries.

I bought a DJI Spark a few years ago and LOVE messing with that thing. highly recommend it! and go ahead and buy 2 or 3 extra batteries.
thanks for the recommendation. I know nothing about them. Did you research to get the best one for the money? Are they easy enough to operate that a total dunce like me can handle it?

Do they transmit video in real time or do you have to download?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT