ADVERTISEMENT

Sciencey Stuff

278728813_10159182970924425_240125360780704062_n.jpg

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bluetoe
This one is hotter:
YfyE197.gif
I love/hate this one. I can make one of the fine figures move in an opposite direction to the others in my mind, but I can't specifically choose which ones are moving together; it changes when I try to focus on all three.

One way or the other, definitely wood the one on the left. I mean the right.

This image was released yesterday. More to come this morning. Incredible

This image was released yesterday. More to come this morning. Incredible

I'm not usually into this stuff but holy shit these images are freaking awesome and the thought of there being like millions of galaxies just like ours makes my brain hurt.

Galileo with another "see, assholes, I was right" moment.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I'm not usually into this stuff but holy shit these images are freaking awesome and the thought of there being like millions of galaxies just like ours makes my brain hurt.

Galileo with another "see, assholes, I was right" moment.
They said the portion of the sky pictured is equivalent to the size of a grain of rice held at arms length. Wtf

Space creeps me out. The idea that it's infinite is scary. But if it did have an ending, what would be on the other side? Hurts my brain to think of that shit.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Space creeps me out. The idea that it's infinite is scary. But if it did have an ending, what would be on the other side? Hurts my brain to think of that shit.
the beginning? I think probably so.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is here. I can get more or less the same images on my Samsung 7.

Seriously though, it's pretty much the same as the Hubble gave us, only the image is from farther away. No matter how far away the image comes from we'll never be able to see past a certain point because of the rate of expansion of the universe. Light from way out there will never reach us unless the U stops expanding and even then it will be a long time before the light gets here. Or maybe the U starts to collapse.

So we'll have to go there to find out. Who's with me?

Reactions: Archer2
the beginning? I think probably so.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is here. I can get more or less the same images on my Samsung 7.

Seriously though, it's pretty much the same as the Hubble gave us, only the image is from farther away. No matter how far away the image comes from we'll never be able to see past a certain point because of the rate of expansion of the universe. Light from way out there will never reach us unless the U stops expanding and even then it will be a long time before the light gets here. Or maybe the U starts to collapse.

So we'll have to go there to find out. Who's with me?

There are a few folks from the Board that I would like to nominate as the first to go forth on our behalf.

Reactions: Grayhead
Black-Hole.jpg

"The Sun is pretty massive, but it's got nothing on SDSS J0100+2802. That catchy-named "hyperluminous quasar" that holds one of the most massive black holes in the universe—about 12 billion times the mass of the Sun with a diameter of 70.9 billion kilometers."

• Wow
Reactions: tarheel0910
A disturbing scientific fact:

"Einstein’s famous equation is certainly one of the most brilliant and beautiful scientific discoveries—but it’s also one of the most disturbing. The power explained by the equation really rests in the c², or the speed of light (186,282 miles per second) times itself, which equals 34,700,983,524. When that’s your multiplier, you don’t need much mass—a smidgen of plutonium is plenty—to create enough energy to destroy a city."

• Boosting the Immune System to Fight Cancer

New England Journal of Medicine researchers conducted a study on a specific kind of rectal cancer called MMRd at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Cancers like these spread by tricking the immune system into ignoring them as they grow. Mutations normally trigger an immune response that would wipe out the cells, but MMRd cancers send out a signal that shields them from the body’s defences.

The scientists wondered if it is possible to use the body’s immune system to fight off cancer. As part of the study, 14 patients with MMRd rectal cancer were given Jemperli, an immune checkpoint inhibitor. The study had a small sample size, but the results were remarkable.

It took only a few treatments for the majority of patients to feel better, and by the end of the study, they were all cancer-free and in remission. Furthermore, none of them required radiation, chemotherapy, or surgery. A study is currently being conducted to see if other cancers can benefit from the same or similar treatment.

Last edited:
  • The Surface of Mercury is Covered with Diamond Dust

During the 53rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Kevin Cannon explained that recent simulations of Mercury’s surface and impact interactions have revealed that the planet’s surface might be coated in microscopic diamonds.

Mercury was initially surrounded by a magma ocean in its early formation. The magma formed graphite, which eventually rose to the surface and formed a thick floating graphite crust. After the formation of the solar system, the first billion years were punctuated by asteroid impacts, which could have instantly converted graphite to diamonds.

Unlike diamonds on Earth, these would be smaller, clearer gems than what we’re used to seeing in jewellery. There would have been microscopic diamond dust strewn all over the surface rather than diamonds. Mercury’s surface composition could be better understood with future missions, but if these estimates are accurate, Mercury may hold diamond hoards sixteen times larger than those on Earth.

In other news, Schiffman Jewelers has announced it will be sponsoring a mission to Mercury in 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT