ADVERTISEMENT

Sciencey Stuff

If you’re a real science nerd there’s a new doc on Netflix about the world wide plan to photo a black hole a few years ago. It’s an incredible story of cooperation by smart af people to basically turn the earth into a giant telescope.

Reactions: Archer2
  • The Surface of Mercury is Covered with Diamond Dust

During the 53rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Kevin Cannon explained that recent simulations of Mercury’s surface and impact interactions have revealed that the planet’s surface might be coated in microscopic diamonds.

Mercury was initially surrounded by a magma ocean in its early formation. The magma formed graphite, which eventually rose to the surface and formed a thick floating graphite crust. After the formation of the solar system, the first billion years were punctuated by asteroid impacts, which could have instantly converted graphite to diamonds.

Unlike diamonds on Earth, these would be smaller, clearer gems than what we’re used to seeing in jewellery. There would have been microscopic diamond dust strewn all over the surface rather than diamonds. Mercury’s surface composition could be better understood with future missions, but if these estimates are accurate, Mercury may hold diamond hoards sixteen times larger than those on Earth.

In other news, Schiffman Jewelers has announced it will be sponsoring a mission to Mercury in 2025.
cut
color
carat weight
clarity
celestial source

Scientists have produced a nuclear fusion reaction resulting in net energy gain. This is prob the biggest scientific breakthrough in decades. We’re talking an infinite amount of clean energy.
I'll give it a like when you provide a link that seems legit. Too good to be blindly accepted. It wouldn't be the biggest breakthrough in decades, it would be the biggest breakthrough EVER. Hope it's true, but I have suspicions.

I'll give it a like when you provide a link that seems legit. Too good to be blindly accepted. It wouldn't be the biggest breakthrough in decades, it would be the biggest breakthrough EVER. Hope it's true, but I have suspicions.
It looks legit. A quick Google search helps. Now on to weaponizing this discovery!!!

It looks legit. A quick Google search helps. Now on to weaponizing this discovery!!!
I got in my vehicle right after my last post here, and they were talking about it on the conservative station here in Raleigh. The talking head said exactly what I did, take a skeptical wait and see approach til they make apparently a formal announcement on Wednesday. For my part, I'll take another wait and see to make sure it isn't bogus and someone else duplicates.

He said wait and see but then they kept talking about it like they were already building the power plants. Silly humans. I'll wait and see, but I'll have my fingers crossed. If it pans out, I'm getting in on the ground floor. I'm putting one in my house.

I got in my vehicle right after my last post here, and they were talking about it on the conservative station here in Raleigh. The talking head said exactly what I did, take a skeptical wait and see approach til they make apparently a formal announcement on Wednesday. For my part, I'll take another wait and see to make sure it isn't bogus and someone else duplicates.

He said wait and see but then they kept talking about it like they were already building the power plants. Silly humans. I'll wait and see, but I'll have my fingers crossed. If it pans out, I'm getting in on the ground floor. I'm putting one in my house.
Tbh they said this once before a few years ago and turned out to be untrue and it was a huge embarrassment. So I’m thinking surely they vetted the info better before saying it again. And yes I called you Shirley.

• Haha
Reactions: bluetoe
This got me thinking what would be the greatest scientific achievements all time. Without googling off top of my head

Flight
Penicillin
Polio vaccine
Dna “mapping” or whatever they call it
Internet?

This got me thinking what would be the greatest scientific achievements all time. Without googling off top of my head

Flight
Penicillin
Polio vaccine
Dna “mapping” or whatever they call it
Internet?
moon landing

this would dwarf all of those added together.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
moon landing

this would dwarf all of those added together.
I don't get the love of the moon landing. It's just flight taken further. Tang didn't even taste good. They don't go back, so there must not be anything there that we can use.

I don't get the love of the moon landing. It's just flight taken further. Tang didn't even taste good. They don't go back, so there must not be anything there that we can use.
I'm not in love with it either, but it's much more than just taking flight further.

I'm pointing out the phenomenal combination of science and engineering and execution that made it happen. And the space exploration and exploitation that has followed can't be overlooked when we're talking about the impact of momentous events.

I am all about science, but having men physically going to the moon or Mars is a waste of money and a distraction from what we should be doing here first.

I'm not in love with it either, but it's much more than just taking flight further.

I'm pointing out the phenomenal combination of science and engineering and execution that made it happen. And the space exploration and exploitation that has followed can't be overlooked when we're talking about the impact of momentous events.

I am all about science, but having men physically going to the moon or Mars is a waste of money and a distraction from what we should be doing here first.
I think it's awesome that they could do it, don't get me wrong. I think the Apollo 13 mission was more impressive!

Reactions: bluetoe
All kidding about Tang to the side, the impact of the moon landing and what was required to achieve it would be difficult to overstate. The mere fact that we are having this communication in this form could be argued to be a direct result of the Apollo missions. It rapidly changed our lives and cultures forever, the world over.

All kidding about Tang to the side, the impact of the moon landing and what was required to achieve it would be difficult to overstate. The mere fact that we are having this communication in this form could be argued to be a direct result of the Apollo missions. It rapidly changed our lives and cultures forever, the world over.
It's a shame that there are people who deny that it ever happened.

It's a shame that there are people who deny that it ever happened.
Conspiracy of Conspiracies.
It was equated to hitting a golf ball in Texas and making a hole in one in Michigan ( I think that was the state)
The math alone was dynamic, especially considering the infancy of computers.
I wonder how much alien tech drove this push (I know, another Conspiracy)
Our advancement in technology since has been tremendous. The study of the solar system as a whole has been important since the dawn of civilization. Man landing on Mars would be nice to see in my life.

Another feat is people like Elon musk. Game changers for everyone

I drank the shit out of some Tang in my youth. If you didn’t have one of these, you weren’t serious about your Tang.

s-l500.jpg

I knew it was too good to be true. I watched a 60 Minutes segment on this development, where the claim was that two units of energy went into the process while three units of energy resulted. Pretty impressive, right?

It was achieved with lasers. What they haven't told us is what 60 Minutes casually revealed....it took 300 units of energy to fire the lasers. That means not even close to a net result of more energy in than out. I'm not sure just what they are measuring to claim a positive net energy, but it's completely worthless unless they can truly develop a process that puts out more energy than it consumes. I'm not sure if anyone else understands the significance of a viable fusion energy reactor, but it would completely transform the world.

This is a transcript of the show. You have to go to near the end to read about the energy consumed by the lasers. I think there are two milestones that were announced. One was the surplus energy produced which is actually a bogus claim unless I'm missing something (and the program says that I'm not). The other is that for the first time, a controlled, sustained reaction was achieved. TBH, I thought that a sustained reaction had already been accomplished.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-fusion-60-minutes-2023-01-15/

I get the feeling that this was not properly announced and probably not well reported on. Maybe some politics going on?

For anyone with small children.

"
In one of his most recent studies, co-authored with six other Ph.D. scientists, Parker and his team concluded: “with no reasonable doubt” that acetaminophen causes autism in susceptible babies and children.

“Let me be clear,” Parker told us. “This is not a hypothesis. We have enough evidence for a conclusion on this issue.”

The peer-reviewed study was published in July 2022 in the Italian journal Minerva Pediatrics. The co-authors included two scientists in the pharmaceutical industry as well as Dr. Kate Reissner, a professor and neuroscientist at the University of North Carolina."

Low Angle View of trees in the Beech forest in spring
MENSENT PHOTOGRAPHY/GETTY IMAGES

There are more trees on Earth than stars in our galaxy​

Here’s a cool space fact (and an Earth fact) we bet you didn’t know: NASA experts believe there could be anywhere from 100 billion to 400 billion stars in the Milky Way. However, a 2015 paper published in the journal Nature estimated that the number of trees around the world is much higher: 3.04 trillion.

There are 49 million kangaroos in Australia and 3.5 million people in Uruguay which means if the kangaroos were to invade Uruguay, each person would have to fight 14 kangaroos.
Uraguayans are hoping that wombats will invade instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT