ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

Would any school be seriously interested in Fed after this year?
Yes. Big-time school's decision-makers are smart enough to know the limitations Fedora has dealt with while here. Plus, egos always come in to play, too. E.G. "Well if he could do that at a basketball school, he'll absolutely roll here in College Station with our fanbase, facilities, etc."

All that being said, I think the Fedora to A&M ship has sailed. They'll set their sights high. They know they have to compete with Alabama. I wonder if they'll hire Kiffin??

Reactions: uncboy10
Yes. Big-time school's decision-makers are smart enough to know the limitations Fedora has dealt with while here. Plus, egos always come in to play, too. E.G. "Well if he could do that at a basketball school, he'll absolutely roll here in College Station with our fanbase, facilities, etc."

All that being said, I think the Fedora to A&M ship has sailed. They'll set their sights high. They know they have to compete with Alabama. I wonder if they'll hire Kiffin??
I bet they at least have feelers out for Kiffen.

Kiffen, it seems, prefers to be near the ocean. Galveston is about a 2 and half hour drive from College Station.

You do? I don't really think so. He did a great job at WKU and then USF, but I think Oregon reached big time when they hired him.
Oregon has all the Nike money anybody can use. Under both Belotti and Kelly, Oregon recruited very well and got very near the pinnacle.

Lol, Galveston. And lol that Kiffin would drive anywhere for a vacation.
Glen Campbell is barely in his grave, and you belittle Galveston. You may need a refresher at Mrs. Wiley's with Ernest T. Bass.

Kiffen might not want to see a beach by driving from Bryan to Galveston, but all kinds of Aggies would love to tell him how easy, and scenic, that drive is - well, if you can avoid the violent crime in Houston.

And for a newly single young coach at A&M - there is the allure of LaGrange.

Do married men addicted to Red Bull have the La Grange bug?

Glen Campbell is barely in his grave, and you belittle Galveston. You may need a refresher at Mrs. Wiley's with Ernest T. Bass.

Kiffen might not want to see a beach by driving from Bryan to Galveston, but all kinds of Aggies would love to tell him how easy, and scenic, that drive is - well, if you can avoid the violent crime in Houston.
Lane's last name doesn't have an "e" in it, just FYI. Kiffin.

And after spending a year in Boca Raton, I seriously doubt Lane wants to vacation to Galveston. He'll take a private jet to the Bahamas, or wherever. Seriously, Galveston? No one wants to go there. I was watching one of those house hunter shows and this couple was able to buy an amazing house, literally on the inner channel, for like $180,000. No one cares about Galveston.

I think A&M is one of many jobs where boosters and fans think the program is 10 times bigger than it really is, and thus demands excellence from it's coaches. They didn't really win big on a consistent basis in the big 12, and they will always be considered a second-tier school in the SEC behind Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida (with a good coach) and Tennessee. And now with Herman at Texas, good luck to them in trying to get the top TX kids there. Not sure if there's a coach who could bring them to the top of that conference.

Lane's last name doesn't have an "e" in it, just FYI. Kiffin.

And after spending a year in Boca Raton, I seriously doubt Lane wants to vacation to Galveston. He'll take a private jet to the Bahamas, or wherever. Seriously, Galveston? No one wants to go there. I was watching one of those house hunter shows and this couple was able to buy an amazing house, literally on the inner channel, for like $180,000. No one cares about Galveston.
You clearly are not old enough to recall his daddy Monte as Moo HC. On some radio program while the new head Mooer, he made a big deal about his first name spelled with an 'E': "not a 'Y' like Monty Hall."

I say let the whole of them have as many Es as they can count.

OK, so Lane might not be thrilled wth Galveston. But what about The Chicken Ranch? That ought to entice a single young man with needs to look favorably on the Aggies.

True.

But rumour has it that we're going to convert to the triple option, so Kelly wouldn't be a good hire for us anyway... :D

I sure hope so.
The triple option would be a good move for Carolina.
If Bubba is not smart enough to bring in Jeff Monken from Army to be the next Tar Heel coach, I predict that it will be Scott Satterfield (which is a high risk/high reward hire).

I sure hope so.
The triple option would be a good move for Carolina.
If Bubba is not smart enough to bring in Jeff Monken from Army to be the next Tar Heel coach, I predict that it will be Scott Satterfield (which is a high risk/high reward hire).
I really don't want to see that. I think you are in the minority here.

Reports saying Kelly will decide between UF and UCLA by the end of the weekend.

With all the talk about hoping for a new coach, the one name I haven't seen (maybe I just missed it) is Les Miles. Considering his son is on the team as a walk on QB.
And reports are that he is looking to get back into coaching.

With all the talk about hoping for a new coach, the one name I haven't seen (maybe I just missed it) is Les Miles. Considering his son is on the team as a walk on QB.
And reports are that he is looking to get back into coaching.

His main issue at LSU was the inability to develop a QB.

Bruce Feldman on coaches who will move this year or are top candidates to move.

The top coordinator on the list is Brent Venables. I've said it before and it still holds: I'd love to see Venables as UNC HC with Kevin Wilson his OC and Associate HC.

Feldman seems to think Jimbo Fisher is ready to fly Tallahassee. If I were Scott Frost and wanted to be a P5 coach in FL, I'd take FSU over UF.

His main issue at LSU was the inability to develop a QB.
And literally, that cost him his job.

I do not want to replace Fedora will someone who won only by loading up on 4 and 5* talent that wanted to play in the SEC and/or in a home stadium of 100,000 seats and/or in the home state. That would leave us with nothing, even in recruiting.

Another coach who may be on the hot seat is Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech. They need to beat Texas this weekend to become eligible for a bowl game. He may be gone if that doesn't happen.

Another coach who may be on the hot seat is Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech. They need to beat Texas this weekend to become eligible for a bowl game. He may be gone if that doesn't happen.
That each of the 2 who coached the Raiders since Leach have been mediocre there only proves how good Mike Leach is.

Kingsbury may need another stint as OC before he tackles a P5 HC job.

I'd take him as OC.

The UF opening is interesting now that Kelly is out. My guess is that it comes down to Frost or Mullen.

If Kelly takes the UCLA job, I wonder if he will bring in Helfrich as the OC

Kelly is the UCLA HC. I think we wanted to avoid the UF boosters and SEC scrutiny.

Riley definitely fired by Nebraska. I think Frost will go home rather than to Florida.

IF UF strikes out with Frost and Mullen, who would the next option?
Perhaps Charlie Strong. He was a UF assistant for many years. His USF team is definitely good. He knows FL recruiting - he got a bunch of FL kids up to Louisville.

Perhaps Charlie Strong. He was a UF assistant for many years. His USF team is definitely good. He knows FL recruiting - he got a bunch of FL kids up to Louisville.

I thought Strong was treated unfairly at Texas. He may do well at UF if given the opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT