ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

I thought Strong was treated unfairly at Texas. He may do well at UF if given the opportunity.
I think he was the first coach in Texas history to have 3 consecutive non-winning seasons. He set some kind of negative record along those lines that had almost all Longhorns fans demanding his job by Year 3.

But because of deep FL ties, Strong could do a much better job at UF than he did at UT.

Mike Norvell was OC under Graham at AZ St. I wonder if they will try to pure him back to Tempe?

Norvell will probably be in the running at UF and Tennessee as well. ASU better act quickly if they want him.

I think he was the first coach in Texas history to have 3 consecutive non-winning seasons. He set some kind of negative record along those lines that had almost all Longhorns fans demanding his job by Year 3.

But because of deep FL ties, Strong could do a much better job at UF than he did at UT.

If Strong is the guy for UF, the key to his success will be who he brings in as the OC. He's a defensive minded coach, and the fans and boosters desperately want offense after going through Muschamp and McElwain. It could work, but he would have a lot of skeptics going into year 1, which is similar to what he went through at Texas.

If A&M doesn't get Fisher, I don't know who they could bring in who would better any better than Sumlin.

If A&M doesn't get Fisher, I don't know who they could bring in who would better any better than Sumlin.
That's pretty much it.

Sumlin played at Purdue. I wonder if he is eyeing possible Big Ten jobs. If Petrino were to leave Louisville, I bet Jeff Brohm would want to go back to his alma mater. And that would leave Purdue open for Sumlin to go home.

I think all that was organized by boosters opposed to Schiano being hired, opposed for football reasons. They were slick enough to know that this was the only way to get the AD to back down and rescind the offer.

The horror is that they do not care that they have ignited a 2 Minutes Hate of a man who only worked on the PSU staff, as an underling. His name is tarnished so some boosters can keep him from being their team's HC.

That is trash. And hopefully it ruins this job search, so they have to beg Cutcliffe.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Miss St will be an interesting hire. And if Jimbo is nuts enough to go to A&M, the FSU job will be the hottest one.

Two other names for A&M if they don't get Fisher - Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy

I can't stand Schiano, but that was a really low class move by UT. I mean, the guy was never implicated in anything wrong and there is absolutely nothing to indicate he saw anything or did anything wrong, but he is now tarnished forever because of that classless move. I hope UT can't get anyone outside of some low level assistant on a HS team to even give them a look.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Latest reports from FSU - some of their administrators are preparing for Jimbo's departure. I just don't get it. He's in a far better situation at FSU.

Latest reports from FSU - some of their administrators are preparing for Jimbo's departure. I just don't get it. He's in a far better situation at FSU.
Yeah, seems like an obvious step down from FSU. Does he have Texas ties? If not there is zero reason to leave FSU.

Andy Staples on the Vols mess and the next hire: "Some coaches who would have been interested in the Tennessee job probably crossed the Vols off their list after Sunday. That’s actually fine for Tennessee. As someone who has lived in Knoxville and covered the program, I’m convinced those coaches wouldn’t have the stomach to succeed as Tennessee’s coach. They would have failed anyway, so it’s probably better for everyone involved that Currie now will get to choose from a self-selecting sample of coaches willing to deal with a lot of passion and at least a little bit of nuttiness."

I think Fedora has the stomach for that job. And Vols fans surely would love a coach who loves those crazy LSU QBs.

Yeah, seems like an obvious step down from FSU. Does he have Texas ties? If not there is zero reason to leave FSU.
He's from WV and has Bowden and SEC ties. Real SEC, not Texas Aggies.

The FSU job is a gem. That's the kind of job that might entice Bob Stoops out of retirement, and that certainly would make Lane Kiffin smile.

FWIW, I heard he has been through a messy divorce (and his ex still lives in the area). The speculation was that he needs to get out of Tallahassee for more personal reasons and start fresh somewhere else.

FWIW, I heard he has been through a messy divorce (and his ex still lives in the area). The speculation was that he needs to get out of Tallahassee for more personal reasons and start fresh somewhere else.

Now the move makes a little more sense. If it's just about football, FSU is the far better job.

But that sick son would still be with the mother, right?

Iowa State has sewn up Matt Campbell for 6 more years. That was a very smart move by the Cyclones brass. Campbell easily could have gotten high on the radar for Nebraska if Frost says No, and for Tennessee and perhaps AZ St.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT