ADVERTISEMENT

SI on hottest names on coaching carousel

If Frost accepts, it's yet another solid coach added to the big 10. It's quickly become a pretty strong conference.

If Frost accepts, it's yet another solid coach added to the big 10. It's quickly become a pretty strong conference.
I think Frost will return to Mama, but what if Jimbo is leaving? Frost did talk to UF but did not want to talk 2nd round because of his team still playing for a Major bowl. Would Frost be interested in FSU? FSU would wait until UCF is set in its bowl and perhaps allow Frost to coach that bowl.

Frost to FSU is definitely possible if Jimbo leaves. If I'm the Nebraska AD, I'd be trying to close the deal very quickly.

According to ESPN, Herm Edwards will interview for the Arizona State job.

Miss State hires Penn State OC Joe Moorhead
I think I mentioned him early on this thread. He was perfect for an ACC HC job: Pittsburgh native, Fordham grad and then HC, and PSU OC.

That quick hire shows that Miss St was very well prepared for Mullen leaving.

Gundy turns down UT after meeting. Will remain at OK State.
Gundy has hated having to deal with 1 overbearing booster who cows Ads at his alma mater. At Tennessee, he would have multiple overbearing boosters. And it's not his alma mater.

He made a wise choice.

BUT I encourage him to arrange a straight trade with UNC: Gundy for Fedora. Supposedly T. Boone Pickens likes Fedora.

According to ESPN, Herm Edwards will interview for the Arizona State job.
How long has he been out of coaching?

If you want a guy to come in and demand discipline, he's your man. But he could be out of date. Double so for the college game.

Potential next targets for UT - Chad Morris and Jeff Brohm. Still no Gruden, like that was ever going to happen.

He hasn't coached anywhere in ten years and hasn't coached in college in 30!
Man, that would be a risk.

That'a half he reason I laugh at the Vols fans wanting Gruden. If they got him, he could be so rusty as a coach it could take 3 or 4 years just to get into the full swing of running a college program.

The upcoming Conference USA Championship matches two coaches who each could be P5 HCs before too long, because they have rebuilt Losers into 9-3 division champs: Florida Atlantic's Lane Kiffin and North Texas' Seth Littrell.

Littrell is a real life Okie from Muskogee. The southwest is deep in his marrow. So I expect him to be patient for something in that area to open. But Kiffin would be happy anywhere in a P5 with good weather and access to recruits and the coastline.

Man, that would be a risk.

That'a half he reason I laugh at the Vols fans wanting Gruden. If they got him, he could be so rusty as a coach it could take 3 or 4 years just to get into the full swing of running a college program.

I never understood the fit at UT. He hasn't coached anywhere in 3-4 years, and he's only been HC in the NFL, which is totally different from college. I think part of the reason the Schiano drama happened is because UT fans were delusional enough to think that Gruden was actually going there, and were let down that they hired someone else. Now they're going to be stuck with mid-tier coordinators. They will get what they deserve.

ESPN says The Vols did not get Brohm and now are focused on Doeren.

If Fedora had just managed the upset, he'd be the Vols choice, and then we could make a play for Venables with Wilson as OC or Lane Kiffin.

Oregon is giving Taggert a raise to keep him there.
With Kelly heading to UCLA, the last thing Oregon needs is to lose its new coach. Taggert is from FL. If Jimbo is crazy enough to go Aggie, then FSU might be interested in Taggert.

Oregon St reported to be hiring Washington OC Johnathan Smith, who was a 4 year starter at QB for Oregon St and a Fiesta Bowl MVP. Smith was QB coach under Peterson at Boise St and followed Peterson to Seattle, with a promotion to OC.

ESPN says The Vols did not get Brohm and now are focused on Doeren.

If Fedora had just managed the upset, he'd be the Vols choice, and then we could make a play for Venables with Wilson as OC or Lane Kiffin.
I prefer an offensive HC, like Fed, but Lane Kiffin has way too much baggage.

I still think Fed can have a strong 2018 and 2019.

I prefer an offensive HC, like Fed, but Lane Kiffin has way too much baggage.

I still think Fed can have a strong 2018 and 2019.
If Doeren gets the Tennessee offer, he will take it. It will be his last shot to sign a fat deal with a program like that. And the Moo brass will have Kiffin on a short wish list. Monte Kiffin was Moo HC for 3 years (most famous for his being attacked by Danny Ford at midfield after a game, because Ford figured out that ole Monte had turned him and Clemson in to the NCAA). Lane wants to be a P5 HC ASAP. And he loves access to the ocean. He is one of the brightest offensive minds in the country, and he has learned a great deal from Saban about running a program.

Lane Kiffin in Raleigh could be a nightmare for UNC. Other than a guy like Marquise Williams whose great asset is running the ball with power between the tackles, what QB would prefer to be groomed by Fedora than by Kiffin? And that's just the beginning.

I think Fedora can have a strong rebound only if he loses a good deal of his arrogance in assessing 'his offense' and hires a new blood OC. Moo hiring somebody like Kiffin likely would spur Fedora to dig in his heels to try to prove the superiority of 'his' offense.

I would remind you as you hope that Fedora's 11 win season is his future much more than his 7-6 and 6-7 teams that Chuck Amato also had an 11 win season, and that one ended perfectly for the Pack with a bowl win over Notre Dame. Even so, Amato was a flop overall at Moo, fired after year 7, when his team was 3-9.

FSU is starting to pressure Fisher into making a decision one way or another. I can't say that I blame them.

If Doeren gets the Tennessee offer, he will take it. It will be his last shot to sign a fat deal with a program like that. And the Moo brass will have Kiffin on a short wish list. Monte Kiffin was Moo HC for 3 years (most famous for his being attacked by Danny Ford at midfield after a game, because Ford figured out that ole Monte had turned him and Clemson in to the NCAA). Lane wants to be a P5 HC ASAP. And he loves access to the ocean. He is one of the brightest offensive minds in the country, and he has learned a great deal from Saban about running a program.

Lane Kiffin in Raleigh could be a nightmare for UNC. Other than a guy like Marquise Williams whose great asset is running the ball with power between the tackles, what QB would prefer to be groomed by Fedora than by Kiffin? And that's just the beginning.

I think Fedora can have a strong rebound only if he loses a good deal of his arrogance in assessing 'his offense' and hires a new blood OC. Moo hiring somebody like Kiffin likely would spur Fedora to dig in his heels to try to prove the superiority of 'his' offense.

I would remind you as you hope that Fedora's 11 win season is his future much more than his 7-6 and 6-7 teams that Chuck Amato also had an 11 win season, and that one ended perfectly for the Pack with a bowl win over Notre Dame. Even so, Amato was a flop overall at Moo, fired after year 7, when his team was 3-9.
Lol, Kiffin is not going to NC State. For one, they hate him cuz of his daddy. For two, Kiffin's sites are a littleeeee bit hire than the Raleigh fairgrounds.

FSU is starting to pressure Fisher into making a decision one way or another. I can't say that I blame them.
3 commits have de-committed. Fisher's wavering is costing FSU a recruiting class. He needs to man up and decide.

Now Leach met with UT. I think all these coaches are just using the opening as leverage to get better deals at their current schools. No one actually wants to go there.

Absolutely. Mullen can recruit. I fully expect he'll keep William Barnes locked down.
If Kap goes, I heard UF's ex ol coach Brad Davis is a target for replacement. That definitely wouldn't hurt our chances with Barnes since Barnes likes Brad Davis.

With Jimbo becoming an Aggie, the FSU job is easily the biggest prize.

Will Taggert want to piss on all that Nike money and screw Oregon after 1 year to return to his home state? Will Saban's most recent protege clamor to become Seminole Chief? Will FSU make a play for Scott Frost? Mike Leach loves Key West, so being in Tallahassee would plant him in the state. Would FSU consider Mike Norvell ready for the Big Time?

Will Taggert want to piss on all that Nike money and screw Oregon after 1 year to return to his home state? Will Saban's most recent protege clamor to become Seminole Chief? Will FSU make a play for Scott Frost? Mike Leach loves Key West, so being in Tallahassee would plant him in the state. Would FSU consider Mike Norvell ready for the Big Time?

Taggert would be a nice hire for them.

What about Kiffin? Think they would even consider him ?

I know Taggert is the hot name for FSU, but what about Charlie Strong?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT