ADVERTISEMENT

Stats and stuff (Bucknell game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and lots of mixing and matching tonight, for a variety of reasons.

- Lineups: We played mostly Hybrid with Luke at the 4, with a bit of Traditional with Brooks playing a few minutes of 4, and a stint of Small with Luke at the 5. Also, Roy utilized 7, count em, 7 backcourt combos in the first half alone. In order of appearance:
Berry/Willams, Berry/Woods, Felton/Woods, Berry/Felton, Berry/Platek, Felton,Platek, Woods/Platek

- Speaking of which, it was good to see 7th playing some 2. Also, we saw some of the on-the-fly interchanging between 1 and 2 with JB, 7th and Jalek all doing some of that at times. The interchanging worked ok on the fly, HOWEVER, in the second half there were a series of possessions where 7th ran Point and JB slid to the 2 for full possessions and that mostly wasn't pretty. The first was a set play which was ok, but the rest just didn't mesh (more on that below).

- Kudos to Luke and Theo for all-around games. Luke's 20 Pts, 9 Rebounds, 4 Assists and 2 Blocks in 37 minutes was a herculean effort, and Theo threw in a Swiss Army Knife performance with 18 and 5 to go with his 6 Dimes.

- Color me impressed with big Manley yet again. All our Bigs took their defensive lumps against Bucknell's experienced guys, but Sterling's 16 and 13 in just 17 minutes is damned solid. I also am loving that sweet lean-in turn-around --- that's some classic Post stuff right there folks!

- We shared the ball very nicely with 22 Assists on 31 made FGs --- often making the extra pass --- and even with that we blew myriad opportunities, especially in transition, by not catching the ball or on passes that were a hair off. In other words the number of dimes and made FGs both could've been higher.

- Speaking of transition, this is where the biggest differences occurred in our team performance. We had 14 Fast Break pts., but 6 of those came breaking the Press late. The other issue was in our bread-and-butter. In the first half we scored 27 of our 50 pts off the Secondary Break --- that's Carolina Basketball --- in the second half however, that number fell to 10. #Yikes

- On Joel Berry's return: I've played PG with two fingers on my lead hand taped together --- and that's bad enough --- but I've never tried it with a brace. As I suspected the problem he is going to encounter comes in "gathering" the ball, especially off the dribble. In other words he won't be able to smoothly move into a shooting motion, so you won't see his trademark quick-trigger 3s and pull-ups... and he'll have trouble keeping a grip on the ball finishing inside until he gets that thing off his hand. It can also affect passing on the fly. Considering the latter, it's impressive JB amassed 6 Assists and only committed 1 TO in 30 minutes, but I'm not surprised he had a rough shooting night.

- Speaking of which, with all that said it's a damned good thing we had him. Without JB there's a good chance we lose this one. First, we are just night-and-day better defensively with the Dog out front. He only got credit for 2 Steals, but he directly caused 4 other changes of possession. Moreover, the team-D functions eons better. The defensive fall-off when he left the game was palpable.

- In reference to something mentioned above, the other thing we lose without JB playing PG is spacing and floor control. As for playing together, Joel and Jalek function OK interchanging, but with 7th the spacing collapses. What I saw tonight just reinforces my previous observation that everyone will be better off with 7th playing the 2. Speaking of Guards, Jalek still has a lot of work to do on the defensive end.

- We rebounded well enough, considering some of the long caroms in their missed 3s, holding a 47-28 advantage, including 16 Offensive.

- After a very shaky start, we finished a respectable 25/33 at the FT line.

- Finally, as for this season's rule changes/emphases --- cracking down on screen shenanigans and hooking, happy-feet in the post, etc --- I absolutely agree with all of them. That being said, I'll just say Les Jones & co. didn't have a very consistent night and leave it at that. But again, that can be a good thing early in the season as a lesson for our young players. Bucknell was an experienced and, um, "crafty" bunch and being exposed to the tricks of the trade will hopefully pay experiential dividends for our younguns as the season goes on.

Anyway, it wasn't ideal, but it was a win --- and it doesn't appear anyone else got hurt, so there's that. Here's hopin' the Leader Dog gets that junk off his paw by Monday!
2-0...

-

Oh, and speaking of transition and spacing and sharing the ball... here's the way it's supposed to work:
-NUYiL.gif

Everyone does exactly what they're supposed to and all five guys touch the ball --- Joel to Theo to Andrew to Luke to Huff for the finish--- in like 8 seconds.

Textbook Carolina Secondary Break. A geometric symphony and a thing of beauty. Somewhere Dean Smith was looking down and applauding...:cool:

Check Huff moving in to position to receive the ball down low. We had a few times when our spacing/passing were really good.

Oh, and speaking of transition and spacing and sharing the ball... here's the way it's supposed to work:
-NUYiL.gif

Everyone does exactly what they're supposed to and all five guys touch the ball --- Joel to Theo to Andrew to Luke to Huff for the finish--- in like 8 seconds.

Textbook Carolina Secondary Break. A geometric symphony and a thing of beauty. Somewhere Dean Smith was looking down and applauding...:cool:
Nice one Gary..... that is basketball beauty wrapped up in 5 seconds

Reactions: gary-7
Thanks for the report. You mentioned Felton has lot of work to do on defense. In your opinion is that why he didn't play as much in 2nd half

How come Brooks didn't play much? I see he played 11 minutes but he also had 4 fouls. Did he get into foul trouble early?

-NUYiL.gif

Yeah - this was the play that got my only audible "NICE".

I like how Platek never lets the ball stick in his hands. I'd like him to be a little more aggressive looking for his shot but you can't complain about a kid who looks to keep it moving.

I'm surprised Manley is this skilled TBH. I thought he'd be more raw after missing so much time but the kid has good hands and a very nice little jumper.

Thanks for the report. You mentioned Felton has lot of work to do on defense. In your opinion is that why he didn't play as much in 2nd half

I think reason Jalek only played the minutes he did was Roy wanted to get Joel some time to knock the rust off and Kenny was playing really well. This is a highly experienced back court duo and Roy wants them ready to roll for this road trip. Speaking of Kenny, a big time concern I had was how much work Kenny was going to be able to put in during the off season, how could he improve without being able to get on the court? Well IDK but he is a good but more aggressive on the offensive end than he has been since being a Heel. He is driving the lane, either finishing or dropping off for the dime but Kenny is now involved on that end and I am enjoying watching that from him.

Speaking of concerns going in to this season, I think if there was one guy I was most concerned about going in to this season it was Manley. Not that I didn't think he had talent, just that I could not get a good read on him from a physical and stamina concern. And yeah, that stamina is still a strong area of needed improvement but the kid has a ton of upside and maybe so much that had it not been for those 2 injuries he may well have been a solid 5 star recruit. He does 2 things really well, he maintains his length advantage by keeping the ball high and he has a really sweet mid range stroke. He went against a very experienced and good D-1 center last night and more than held his own, really happy for the kid!

Brooks found the Hicks seat on the bench with foul trouble but still managed double figure scoring in his 11mins of PT. Huff had a couple nice flushes as well, so offensively our frosh bigs played well.

What we do have to iron out is we are being drive and kick back out to the spot up trey to death. WE are leaving the spot up jump shooters wide open and collapsing down, we are going to get killed on that unless we get it ironed out.

I would guess that to be the case.
And a lot with Jalek is intensity and concentration. When he decides to get down in a defensive stance he's thoroughly capable. A lot of defense is "want-to". He'll learn.

Reactions: Archer2
In the post-game press conference, Roy said something about a different guy stepping up each night. Brooks played really well the first game, but got into foul trouble last night, so Manley stepped up and got a double double in 17 minutes.

It wasn't always pretty, but the Heels found a way to win with Theo leading the way in the second half. Hopefully they will have some good practices over the next few days to get ready for Stanford on Monday.

Reactions: gary-7
Pull out the guns, but I'm going to say this anyway. Manley may be the best NBA prospect on the team.

How you like this for the 2019 starting 5:

Black--6'9"
Gaffney--6"9"
Brooks--6"9"
Manley--7'0"
Coby--6'5"

National champs!

Pull out the guns, but I'm going to say this anyway. Manley may be the best NBA prospect on the team.

Black--6'9"
Gaffney--6"9"
Brooks--6"9"
Manley--7'0"
Coby--6'5"

National champs!

Do you think Jalek leaves after next year?

Do you think Jalek leaves after next year?

Don't see Jalek staying beyond 2 years. If the Heels make the Final Four this year and Jalek plays a major part, he make declare after the season.

Black--6'9"
Gaffney--6"9"
Brooks--6"9"
Manley--7'0"
Coby--6'5"

National champs!
Well... you left out an actual PG.
That looks like a uk team.

Reactions: Archer2
Don't see Jalek staying beyond 2 years. If the Heels make the Final Four this year and Jalek plays a major part, he make declare after the season.

Do you see Jalek as a possible first round pick, or do you think he would more than likely fall to the 2nd? I know future play will dictate this but....

Well... you left out an actual PG.
That looks like a uk team.
Leaky at the point, Coby at the 2 and Gaffney at the 3. Gaffney is a raw Kevin Durant. Look for Roy to make an offer soon and try to get him to commit before the kid gets well known.

Leaky at the point, Coby at the 2 and Gaffney at the 3. Gaffney is a raw Kevin Durant. Look for Roy to make an offer soon and try to get him to commit before the kid gets well known.

Love Gaffney as a prospect for sure.
However, neither Coby nor Leaky is a fit for a 1 in our system, and Carolina teams --- no matter how talented --- go nowhere without a legit PG. Coby's a nose-down scoring 2 and Leaky is basically a big Wing who can pass some. Hopefully Francis fits the PG bill... and I fully expect Roy to add another between now and then.

Love Gaffney as a prospect for sure.
However, neither Coby nor Leaky is a fit for a 1 in our system, and Carolina teams --- no matter how talented --- go nowhere without a legit PG. Coby's a nose-down scoring 2 and Leaky is basically a big Wing who can pass some. Hopefully Francis fits the PG bill... and I fully expect Roy to add another between now and then.

Even if Jalek leaves after next year, we would still have Woods as a PG option for the 2019 season. He definitely needs to develop more, but he will be there.

And Francis or Woods as was mentioned before. Love that lineup (with a PG) and really love the idea of Black, White, and Gaffney playing together! The problem for Roy would be who do you send to the bench and that is a great problem to have!

Get Gaffney on board and let Roy figure it out.

Then you're in luck, Dadika. Wendell told Deana that he still talks to the heels a lot and hopes to drop in for some more popcorn before his college career at dook begins where he will be having more popcorn while watching Joey play.

Reactions: Steat

Black--6'9"
Gaffney--6"9"
Brooks--6"9"
Manley--7'0"
Coby--6'5"

National champs!
Did you mean the 2020 team? Next year is the 2019 team. Could be that same lineup except Little instead of Gaffney - and presumably Felton instead of Black.

Did you mean the 2020 team? Next year is the 2019 team. Could be that same lineup except Little instead of Gaffney - and presumably Felton instead of Black.

The 2019-2020 season. Gaffney's freshman's season would start the fall 2019. Lets don't get hung up on semantics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT